Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,617 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay (862 Views)

Tinubu Takes First Salute As President, Inspects Guards Of Honour / Kano Assembly Not Equipped To Probe Ganduje, Says Sagay SAN / Supreme Court Judgment On Saraki : I’m Surprised, Says Sagay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by Racoon(m): 11:44pm On Aug 09, 2018
Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) Chairman, Prof Itse Sagay (SAN) Thursday said Senate President Bukola Saraki should step down as a matter of honour even if he is not bound by law to do so.
According to him, it would only require two-thirds majority of available Senators to unseat Saraki.

Sagay, however, emphasised that the Senate President’s defection from All Progressives Congress (APC), the platform on which he was elected, to the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), does not invalidate his position.

He spoke in Abuja on the sidelines of a workshop on the United Kingdom Unexplained Wealth Order (UWO), organised by PACAC, UK National Crime Agency and the Department for International Development (DfID).

On whether Saraki was bound to resign, Sagay said: “He should relinquish his position as a matter of honour. He’s not compelled by law to do so. He needs to be removed by two-thirds majority.“He got there because he was in APC even though he got there by subterfuge, which is typical of him. He got there in a cheeky, fraudulent manner.

“Nevertheless, for him to be removed, they need two-thirds, not of the Senate, but of those present and voting at a meeting.“It doesn’t have to be everybody. It’s those who happen to be there. Once they meet the quorum of one-third, and he is there, he can be removed by two-thirds of that one-third.”

Sagay faulted the freezing of Benue State’s account by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), describing it as “extreme”.

He said while EFCC could investigate governors, they cannot be prosecuted since they have immunity.
“There’s nothing EFCC can do to him (Governor Samuel Ortom). They can’t arrest him. They can investigate him, put down the records of what they found, and wait for his tenure to end. Right now nobody can touch him.

“As for freezing Benue State’s account, I can’t support it. I don’t know why, but government has to function. I don’t want people to suffer because there are no funds for basic government functions.“I don’t know if EFCC really did that; we have to be careful because it looks extreme to me,” Sagay said.

"The eminent professor of law rejected calls for President Muhammadu Buhari to sack finance minister Mrs Kemi Adeosun over the allegation that she skipped the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme and forged an exemption certificate.

Asked what he thought about the government’s refusal to react to the issue, Sagay said: “I don’t know why the government has not reacted.“But, let me tell you my reaction. This woman is a brilliant and extremely valuable member of this government.

[b]“A lot of the good things happening now – the welfare that Nigerians are enjoying and are going to enjoy, because it takes time, and the way our economy is booming, how we got out of recession – are due to her expertise, her commitment, her sacrifice.

“There is nothing in this world that will make me remove such a woman from the government. The PDP can weep from now until there is no tear in their body; she is going to be there. We cannot afford to lose that woman.”

Asked if it was not an offence to skip NYSC, Sagay said: “Who cares about youth service? I don’t bloody care whether she did youth service or not. It’s irrelevant as far as I am concerned.”

On the allegation that she forged an exemption certificate, the PACAC chairman said: “I don’t believe it. I don’t see anything serious about not doing youth service. I don’t see anything serious about it. That’s my own bias, not government’s.

“I’m telling you now. If you ask me – If I were President Buhari, I would never, ever touch that woman because she’s damn good.

“The enemies of this government want to reduce his capacity to provide good governance by engaging in social media attacks and trying to get rid of her. It will not work"

https://www.google.com/amp/thenationonlineng.net/saraki-should-resign-as-a-matter-of-honour-says-sagay/amp/

11 Likes

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by Racoon(m): 11:49pm On Aug 09, 2018
"The eminent professor of law rejected calls for President Muhammadu Buhari to sack finance minister Mrs Kemi Adeosun over the allegation that she skipped the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme and forged an exemption certificate.

Asked what he thought about the government’s refusal to react to the issue, Sagay said: “I don’t know why the government has not reacted.“But, let me tell you my reaction. This woman is a brilliant and extremely valuable member of this government.

“A lot of the good things happening now – the welfare that Nigerians are enjoying and are going to enjoy, because it takes time, and the way our economy is booming, how we got out of recession – are due to her expertise, her commitment, her sacrifice.

“There is nothing in this world that will make me remove such a woman from the government. The PDP can weep from now until there is no tear in their body; she is going to be there. We cannot afford to lose that woman.”

Asked if it was not an offence to skip NYSC, Sagay said: “Who cares about youth service? I don’t bloody care whether she did youth service or not. It’s irrelevant as far as I am concerned.”

On the allegation that she forged an exemption certificate, the PACAC chairman said: “I don’t believe it. I don’t see anything serious about not doing youth service. I don’t see anything serious about it. That’s my own bias, not government’s.

“I’m telling you now. If you ask me – If I were President Buhari, I would never, ever touch that woman because she’s damn good.
“The enemies of this government want to reduce his capacity to provide good governance by engaging in social media attacks and trying to get rid of her. It will not work"

And this man is the government's Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) Chairman
Any wonder the all-corruption encaste APC government have been losing high profile antigraft cases? This means Obono-Obla WAEC certificate scandal too will never be investigated.
How on earth can a so called constitutional lawyer of Prof.Sagay's calibre say this for God's sake & even before international agencies?
This is how political appointment can reduce once reasonable & highly esteemed people to sorry humanity.
Turning the law & logic upside down.Too bad! So sad! angry angry

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by Nobody: 11:50pm On Aug 09, 2018
In the same interview Sagay defends Kemi Adeosun and why she should remain in office in spite of forgery

People should ignore Sagay

Saraki says he will resign if 2/3 of senate pass a no confidence vote. Let’s move on with the business of government

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by weyreypey: 11:50pm On Aug 09, 2018
Sagay doesn't deserve any response.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by buhariguy(m): 11:52pm On Aug 09, 2018
The jobless aggressive lazy idiotic pigs of Biafra terrorist party PDP senators can not read.

The constitution says 2/3 available, not the total Senate but the available ones at that meeting.

3 Likes

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by Racoon(m): 11:57pm On Aug 09, 2018
-1).Sagay on Tambuwal's Defection From the PDP to APC in 2014;
There has been some disagreement on whether or not the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, should resign his position, given his recent defection to the All Progressives Congress. What is your view on this?

I am strongly of the view that he is entitled to resign from the Peoples Democratic Party and join any party of his wish, in accordance with his constitutional rights; particularly since the provision for election of speaker does not have any party label.
It does not say ‘Somebody belonging to the majority party, or somebody who was elected on a particular platform.’ It doesn’t say so. It is a free provision, which allows anybody in the House to be elected, provided he has the simple majority.
https://www.nairaland.com/1992159/tambuwal-should-not-vacate-seat#27922316

2).Sagay on Saraki's Defection from the APC back to the PDP in 2018;
"On whether Saraki was bound to resign, Sagay said: “He should relinquish his position as a matter of honour. He’s not compelled by law to do so. He needs to be removed by two-thirds majority.“He got there because he was in APC even though he got there by subterfuge, which is typical of him. He got there in a cheeky, fraudulent manner.

“Nevertheless, for him to be removed, they need two-thirds, not of the Senate, but of those present and voting at a meeting.“It doesn’t have to be everybody. It’s those who happen to be there. Once they meet the quorum of one-third, and he is there, he can be removed by two-thirds of that one-third.”

Tambuwal can defect & held to the speakership title in 2014 but Saraki cant do so in the senate in 2018?
Kemi Adeosun should not resign based on your warped logic but Saraki should resign based on honour.

Hypocrisy is a very nauseating way of life.Sagay you are & will forever remain a disgrace.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by JONNYSPUTE(m): 12:00am On Aug 10, 2018
He should resign as a matter of honour yet you asked Adeosun who is with a forged certificate not to resign. Old fool speaking from both side of the mouth. You re one of our problems. Dishonourable man telling another to resign honourably,what an irony. Ndi ara.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by aolawale025: 12:01am On Aug 10, 2018
Sagay should advise his principal to resign instead

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by nnachukz(m): 2:33am On Aug 10, 2018
That advice should be for your perpetually sick boss.
As a matter of honour, Buhari should resign.

4 Likes

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by Nobody: 2:57am On Aug 10, 2018
buhariguy:
The jobless aggressive lazy idiotic pigs of Biafra terrorist party PDP senators can not read.

The constitution says 2/3 available, not the total Senate but the available ones at that meeting .

A lot of you are quite rude for not reason

If you can quote any section of the constitution or senate rules that uses the language in bold in your post then name a prize and I will comply

4 Likes

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by Burukpe: 4:15am On Aug 10, 2018
This old man, could you please shut your buccal cavity up and stop yanning trash

1 Like

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by Nobody: 5:13am On Aug 10, 2018
Resign as a matter of honour or rather should stay as a savior of democracy..

Saraki has been the wedge between the undemocratic principles of this government and the populace..

Buhari should resign as a matter of honour.
Age wise
Technology wise
Health wise
Spoken utterances wise
Dictatorial tendencies
Tyrannical approaches
Improper economic management etc.

1 Like

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by mercenary: 5:40am On Aug 10, 2018
buhariguy:

The constitution says 2/3 available, not the total Senate but the available ones at that meeting.
Oboy! this your ipob line is very stale and boring, can you try something else? O ye follower of a Nepa bill dullard must you always show thyself?... Saraki is smarter than the full APC... Deal with it

4 Likes

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by Chuksonyeike: 6:20am On Aug 10, 2018
buhariguy:

Oya go and hold a village meeting in your village and remove him by 2/3 of those present!!!

1 Like

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by ivandragon: 6:34am On Aug 10, 2018
those working for pmb must have come to the conclusion that there are enough gullible Nigerians of voting age for them to be able to say & do what they like without minding the consequences.

they condemn saraki conveniently forgetting how they praised tambuwal for the same action.

2 Likes

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by Nobody: 6:41am On Aug 10, 2018
I'm sure he will resign if Buhari can take that honorable step first. Imposing himself on us as the president is more dishonourable than defecting to another party.

1 Like

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by FarahAideed: 6:50am On Aug 10, 2018
Sagay went to APC university where he clear majored in hypocrisy and lack of common sense

1 Like

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by Nobody: 7:09am On Aug 10, 2018
APC is an outlaw organizations!! Every thing about them is violence!! no wonder they're called herdsmen party.

1 Like

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by OBAGADAFFI: 7:12am On Aug 10, 2018
He got there in a cheeky, fraudulent manner.

Disappointing from a Professor of law.

Was he thinking.

1 Like

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by onlyme07(m): 7:14am On Aug 10, 2018
A Professor of Law said,Kemi Adeosun should not be sacked for presenting a fake NYSC certificate because she's doing a great job for the country but Bukola Saraki should be sacked beacause he cross-carperted and he's not doing a good job. Pls, which is more grievous?
#therewasacountry.

1 Like

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 10, 2018
buhariguy:

This herdsman terrorist does not understand English!!

1 Like

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by fergie001: 7:26am On Aug 10, 2018
Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by Kog45(m): 7:28am On Aug 10, 2018
buhariguy:

Oga better join Saraki group where guys are receiving a million naira monthly doing intelligence report than mere 30k online rat job since money dictate whom you support.
Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by RockHard: 7:36am On Aug 10, 2018
I don't understand why these APC people are foolishly expecting Saraki to just give up the Senate presidency without a fight, when that position is the only source of his political relevance. Without the Senate presidency, Saraki becomes just another regular Senator with little political clout. They should get real.

1 Like

Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by Johnnyessence(m): 7:48am On Aug 10, 2018
the incompetent and inconsequential buhari should honorably resign as a mark of honour. he has failed in the last 3 years that he has been in the government.
Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by cosmatika(m): 7:57am On Aug 10, 2018
Honour kee u dere
Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by NoToAutocracy: 7:58am On Aug 10, 2018
Saraki is doing this set of rouges strong thing, they have tried all dirty tricks but failed
Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by slimfit1(m): 8:04am On Aug 10, 2018
When have you seen his shameless family resign from anything?
Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by slimghost(m): 8:07am On Aug 10, 2018
Thunder should fire this sycophant called Sir-GAY as a matter of honour.
Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by soburtunde: 8:12am On Aug 10, 2018
Saraki has no shame...He will never do that
Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by PaChukwudi44(m): 9:19am On Aug 10, 2018
soburtunde:
Saraki has no shame...He will never do that
smh
Re: Saraki Should Resign As A Matter Of Honour, Says Sagay by Okoroawusa: 1:19pm On Aug 10, 2018
Racoon:

And this man is the government's Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) Chairman
Any wonder the all-corruption encaste APC government have been losing high profile antigraft cases? This means Obono-Obla WAEC certificate scandal too will never be investigated.
How on earth can a so called constitutional lawyer of Prof.Sagay's calibre say this for God's sake & even before international agencies?
This is how political appointment can reduce once reasonable & highly esteemed people to sorry humanity.
Turning the law & logic upside down.Too bad! So sad! angry angry
Nwokem,go n siddon

(1) (Reply)

Offa Robbery Suspect To Contest For Presidential Election / Read What Buhari Said After Meeting Pastor Kumuyi (photos) / Has Any Known Northern Politician Abused Atiku ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.