Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,183 members, 7,807,596 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:59 PM

Programmers how much do you earn monthly? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programmers how much do you earn monthly? (5596 Views)

Programmers, How Do You Solve Power Issue / Programmers How Can I Achieve This / Programmers, How Do You Cope With Generator Noise In Your Area? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Nobody: 11:33am On Aug 10, 2018
Hi guys,
I earn 220k per month and a senior mobile developer.
For an IT company in Lagos.
Please share yours

4 Likes

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by sparkle6(m): 3:07pm On Aug 10, 2018
Still gathering experience. 0k per month.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 10, 2018
abeg where can I work as a php developer?
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 11, 2018
i have never earned as a mobile app developer. i just do it for the fun of it. so, i earn 0k for now

1 Like

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Kyymz: 8:23pm On Aug 11, 2018
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Vikky014(f): 9:43pm On Aug 11, 2018
Hmmmm, why earn monthly with programming skill? When you can build products with which you'll print your own money at will.
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Akin1212(m): 11:33pm On Aug 11, 2018
Used to earn 220k for an IT company based in USA but have an office in Lagos. But right now I earn more and sometimes less(rare) as a freelancer.

1 Like

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Akin1212(m): 11:34pm On Aug 11, 2018
dayo2me:
i have never earned as a mobile app developer. i just do it for the fun of it. so, i earn 0k for now

Are you good at it? Check my signature and contact me if you are.
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by CharlesJok3r: 10:32am On Aug 13, 2018
@Ezechinwa, is it necessary\compulsory for one to have a B.SC in comp-sci before seeking for employment in most IT firm in lagos as a programmer.
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Millz404(m): 11:43am On Aug 13, 2018
CharlesJok3r:
@Ezechinwa, is it necessary\compulsory for one to have a B.SC in comp-sci before seeking for employment in most IT firm in lagos as a programmer.
Nobody gives a shi.t about certificate in programming, if you are good, you are good. Even a 14 years old boy can dust your as.s with better codes

7 Likes

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Aug 13, 2018
CharlesJok3r:

No you don't, but it adds as an advantage
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by sparkle6(m): 1:34pm On Aug 13, 2018
Vikky014:
Hmmmm, why earn monthly with programming skill? When you can build products with which you'll print your own money at will.
Are u aspiring for the post of G-babe in nigeria?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by sparkle6(m): 1:39pm On Aug 13, 2018
CharlesJok3r:
If u have a bs. in computer science and and i have a cert from mit. We are both a full stack dev, and ask for same position in a job who do u think will get the job?

1 Like

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by sparkle6(m): 1:52pm On Aug 13, 2018
Millz404:

Nobody gives a shi.t about certificate in programming, if you are good, you are good. Even a 14 years old boy can dust your as.s with better codes
A 14year old programmer is quite a good thing, but software company jobs demands more than just knowing codes. Team work, oratory, ability to give out matured opinions, ability to interprete the software market are all included. So the kid needs to grow up to responsibilities which of course is a gradual life process.
Instance a kid with knowledge of backend and frontend dev and and 40yr old with only the knowledge of backend are up for a job. who do u think will get the job? the 40yr guy has more experience.

2 Likes

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Aug 13, 2018
Millz404:

Actually a certificate is needed....

Companies don't have time to interview all the programmers that apply so they use a certificate as a filter.

2 Likes

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Millz404(m): 2:53pm On Aug 13, 2018
sparkle6:

A 14year old programmer is quite a good thing, but software company jobs demands more than just knowing codes. Team work, oratory, ability to give out matured opinions, ability to interprete the software market are all included. So the kid needs to grow up to responsibilities which of course is a gradual life process.
Instance a kid with knowledge of backend and frontend dev and and 40yr old with only the knowledge of backend are up for a job. who do u think will get the job? the 40yr guy has more experience.

I actually said that because there is a 14 year old working for google. My emphasis is on the fact that it is more about what can do or have done rather than paper merit

1 Like

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 13, 2018
sparkle6:

If u have a bs. in computer science and and i have a cert from mit. We are both a full stack dev, and ask for same position in a job who do u think will get the job?

Firstly, the certificates don't really matter but your skillset does, MIT certification is harder to attain compared to getting a degree from a university (I a Nigerian University due to our poor standards of education)
Secondly, In this modern time if I were to choose one candidate between an MIT certified dev and a University degree holder, 9 out of 10 times I would go for the MIT.
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by sparkle6(m): 4:56pm On Aug 13, 2018
Ezechinwa:

Firstly, the certificates don't really matter but your skillset does, MIT certification is harder to attain compared to getting a degree from a university (I a Nigerian University due to our poor standards of education)
Secondly, In this modern time if I were to choose one candidate between an MIT certified dev and a University degree holder, 9 out of 10 times I would go for the MIT.
Men dont let software companies see these views u aired up there. So if you want to look for a job you just enter a company, sit down and start coding. You havent heard of a resume or a cv or a portfolio. That you can code html doesnt mean thats what a software company need. They want to see a cert that shows evidence dat u can learn the companies software dev. Dont u know that there a thousand people luking for that job u are prospecting for. So they'll giv u a job just because u created a website nd the code is on git. G gather as much cert as u can that will give u an edge.
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by sparkle6(m): 5:20pm On Aug 13, 2018

So are u implying that their is no comp.sc graduate that is badass in code? Most people in cmp. department wanted to read a diff course but the varsity just threw them there. And here u are generalising the whole thing. So u havent seen an mit grad who knows nothing about code. Will they break ur head and stuff the code inside? u guys are just hyping this mit. if you dont have the passion of coding you wont learn it, just because u heard dat guys in programming sector ar getting d moolah, u jump in thinking its a days work. If you dont have that passion and perseverance, even if you got to andela, mit, varsity etc, a simple bug will make u quit.
Thats y mark zuck finished school later and got a cert. so that d board of directors wont hold any ground if dey wanna sack him.
Go to d net every 9 in 10 article stress on d cert thing.

2 Likes

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by sparkle6(m): 5:30pm On Aug 13, 2018
Not only a Bs in comp. sci. other certificates like software coventions, testimonials, workshop, software seminars, project work, internship cert. Grab as much as u can. Your skills are alien to everyone until u put up an attestation or confirmatory paper or recommendation paper. Because any random guy can ctrl cv a source code and pass it off as his. How do i know that u coded that? give me a proof from a well known source or school or proffesuer or client who i can contact that u actually studied how to code.
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 13, 2018
sparkle6:

Men dont let software companies see these views u aired up there. So if you want to look for a job you just enter a company, sit down and start coding. You havent heard of a resume or a cv or a portfolio. That you can code html doesnt mean thats what a software company need. They want to see a cert that shows evidence dat u can learn the companies software dev. Dont u know that there a thousand people luking for that job u are prospecting for. So they'll giv u a job just because u created a website nd the code is on git. G gather as much cert as u can that will give u an edge.

Whatever rocks your boats bro, as I always say MIT is not git as you mentioned earlier
I provided a link for you to read more about what MIT is all about below

https://ist.mit.edu/certificates/guide

Secondly, Computer science degree from Nigerian universities are not that good, that why a lot of Nigerians are going to Canada to acquire practical and theoretical knowledge of what CSC is all about.

Finally, I have worked for lots of some tech companies both in Nigeria and in the UK never for once have they asked me for my degree or even class of degree, it has always been about your skillsets and knowledge on the job.

Have a nice day, remember there are no straightforward ways to getting your dream job, but doesn't mean you shouldn't try to.

4 Likes

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 13, 2018
sparkle6:

So are u implying that their is no comp.sc graduate that is badass in code? Most people in cmp. department wanted to read a diff course but the varsity just threw them there. And here u are generalising the whole thing. So u havent seen an mit grad who knows nothing about code. Will they break ur head and stuff the code inside? u guys are just hyping this mit. if you dont have the passion of coding you wont learn it, just because u heard dat guys in programming sector ar getting d moolah, u jump in thinking its a days work. If you dont have that passion and perseverance, even if you got to andela, mit, varsity etc, a simple bug will make u quit.
Thats y mark zuck finished school later and got a cert. so that d board of directors wont hold any ground if dey wanna sack him.

Not saying that, By the way I am also a computer science graduate too.
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Aug 13, 2018
sparkle6:

Some of the best programmers I have worked with are either self-taught or without CSC degree,
You can have a degree in Computer Science and still be bad at coding or algorithmic thinking / debugging.
Certificates can only get you to the doorstep but your skillsets and knowledge will determine if you will get the job.

2 Likes

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by sparkle6(m): 10:43pm On Aug 13, 2018
Ezechinwa:

Whatever rocks your boats bro, as I always say MIT is not git as you mentioned earlier
I provided a link for you to read more about what MIT is all about below

https://ist.mit.edu/certificates/guide

Secondly, Computer science degree from Nigerian universities are not that good, that why a lot of Nigerians are going to Canada to acquire practical and theoretical knowledge of what CSC is all about.

Finally, I have worked for lots of some tech companies both in Nigeria and in the UK never for once have they asked me for my degree or even class of degree,
Have a nice day, remember there are no straightforward ways to getting your dream job, but doesn't mean you shouldn't try to.

Yeah you are right. One cmp lecturer was busy embrassing himself on the projector while teaching java for us. U wont imagine how many times he had compile time errors. He cleared his code up to 7 times nd still had bugs.He forgot his semicolon mutiple times. Niaja is fuked up

3 Likes

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Nobody: 5:53am On Aug 14, 2018
I blame this all on the state of CSC courses in Nigeria
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Piuscrown: 9:03am On Aug 14, 2018
Actually writing softwares is more than just learning the syntax of a programming language, we are kind of confused here because of what we mostly do here in Nigeria, real programmers are people who can implement algorithms and data structure from their mathematical representation to codes, make algorithms work on data structures, etc
Whether you want to represent data structures as objects or what ever, is up to you,
Then you need to reason about how do you structure your code for maintainability, readability or what ever,
You also need to reason about the performance of your program, you reason about scalability, if performance is a goal, you need to understand the hardware you are developing for,the kind of languages you are using, how does it handle memory, how does it handle memories that are no more in use, etc, there are lot of stuff I couldn't figure out how to explain in layman terms, and are very essential in any software project, you learning the syntax of a programming language doesn't make you a programmer, but well thanks to the current development if you only want to build stuffs like Web and mobile apps, there are already frameworks that handle all these stuff for you, all you need to do is learn a scripting language to be able to use them, this I am sure a 14 year old can do, even if my mum want to she will. My point is having knowledge of computer science it is very essential if you are going to be an active part of any serious, big or moderately big software project. It is just a question of how are computer science courses taught and learnt here?

6 Likes

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 14, 2018
Piuscrown:
Actually writing softwares is more than just learning the syntax of a programming language, we are kind of confused here because of what we mostly do here in Nigeria, real programmers are people who can implement algorithms and data structure from their mathematical representation to codes, make algorithms work on data structures, etc
Whether you want to represent data structures as objects or what ever, is up to you,
Then you need to reason about how do you structure your code for maintainability, readability or what ever,
You also need to reason about the performance of your program, you reason about scalability, if performance is a goal, you need to understand the hardware you are developing for,the kind of languages you are using, how does it handle memory, how does it handle memories that are no more in use, etc, there are lot of stuff I couldn't figure out how to explain in layman terms, and are very essential in any software project, you learning the syntax of a programming language doesn't make you a programmer, but well thanks to the current development if you only want to build stuffs like Web and mobile apps, there are already frameworks that handle all these stuff for you, all you need to do is learn a scripting language to be able to use them, this I am sure a 14 year old can do, even if my mum want to she will. My point is having knowledge of computer science it is very essential if you are going to be an active part of any serious, big or moderately big software project. It is just a question of how are computer science courses taught and learnt here?

you couldn't have said it any better, never studied CSC in school, but i do sure as hell study alot of it for work, that's if one wants to go far or just be a CRUD Developer. It also helps in general life, as yoiur thinking is even more guided and structured.

2 Likes

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by lebete3000: 5:44pm On Aug 21, 2018
Ezechinwa:
Hi guys,
I earn 220k per month and a senior mobile developer.
For an IT company in Lagos.
Please share yours

Hello, I saw your attempt to send me a mail. Kindly send through this address instead mooredavid298@gmail.com as I'm no longer in possession of the address this Nairaland account is linked to.

Many thanks.
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Recruitmentform: 4:49am On Aug 23, 2018
dayo2me:

Can you build a simple Android app? If yes please drop your contact
Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by ediko5(m): 8:17am On Aug 23, 2018
Darivie04:

Actually a certificate is needed....

Companies don't have time to interview all the programmers that apply so they use a certificate as a filter.

You are not a programmer at all.

What is a computer science certificate esp in a country like Nigrria?

What will uou learn ? 2004 version of html, css and js?

Any company that request for a computer science is a company who knows nothing about web development.

No standard software development firm will ask you for any dead certificate.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Programmers how much do you earn monthly? by Nobody: 10:56am On Aug 23, 2018
ediko5:

You are not a programmer at all.

I really hate the way a lot of Nairalanders argue. If I'm wrong give me your points and if I see reason I'll oblige to it and listen to you, all this personal attack is unnecessary and its something you never is something you almost never see in international threads.

On your other statements....
Nigeria is not the whole world and some foreign universities actually offer modern computer science courses so if the problem is that computer science courses are outdated then just don't study in Nigeria cause that's the only solution if you are looking for something up to date.

Also there are many fields of programming apart from web development and mobile app development(which I've noticed some take for the whole programming field)many demanding a lot of mathematical knowledge such as cryptography, computer graphics and animations, data mining, algorithmic trading, robotics e.t.c these are all fields under programming which you will hardly ever get a job in without a degree in either computer science or any related engineering fields.

I admit web development and mobile app development are areas where you can get jobs in without uni degree but let's not overgeneralize it to the whole programming field.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Solution To Tokenmismatchexception Problem In Laravel 5.1 / Thread For International Remote Tech Jobs - US, UK, Canada, Germany, UAE... / Udacity/google Africa Challenge Scholarship For Android And Web Development!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.