Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,410 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:36 AM

AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! (2112 Views)

APC Names Lagos Lawmaker As Kogi Deputy Governorship Candidate (Is This A Joke?) / 5 States Where The General Elections Might Be Tough / Bloody / Elections Might Be Postponed To August! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Razorr(f): 4:43pm On Mar 29, 2007
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/6507813.stm

Nigerian polls may be postponed

Presidential elections in Nigeria on 21 April may be postponed after the death of a candidate.
The Alliance for Democracy's Adebayo Adeferati - seen as an outside - was 79 years old and the former governor of Ondo State.

According to Nigeria's electoral act, elections are to be delayed "until a convenient date" if a candidate dies after nomination papers are delivered.

President Olusegun Obasanjo is due to step down after two terms in office.

Mr Adeferati has been sick and died in hospital in Ondo State.

He was governor of Ondo State from 1999 to 2003, but lost a re-election bid in the April 2003 elections.

He was then nominated by his party as presidential candidate for Nigeria's forthcoming elections.

Section 37 (1) of Nigeria's Electoral Act 2006 states that: "If after the time for the delivery of nomination paper and before the commencement of the poll, a nominated candidate dies, the Chief National Electoral Commissioner or the Resident Electoral Commissioner shall, being satisfied of the fact of the death, countermand the poll in which the deceased candidate was to participate and the Commission shall appoint some other convenient date for the election."
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Razorr(f): 4:45pm On Mar 29, 2007
Is BBC lying?
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Seun(m): 4:51pm On Mar 29, 2007
When Nigerians were proclaiming Yar'adua's 'death', they refused to confirm the story, so this one might be true.
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Razorr(f): 4:52pm On Mar 29, 2007
OH GOD! shocked shocked
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Razorr(f): 5:00pm On Mar 29, 2007
Anyone with additional information about this development should please post it! I take God beg you o!
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by star01(m): 5:07pm On Mar 29, 2007
y u so concerned about de health of man?if hes dead den he's dead be dat
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Razorr(f): 5:09pm On Mar 29, 2007
And Obasanjo would have an extended tenure! grin Didn't you read the report? angry
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by BigB11(m): 5:10pm On Mar 29, 2007
Nigeria candidate death casts doubt on poll schedule
Thu 29 Mar 2007, 14:45 GMT

ABUJA, March 29 (Reuters) - A Nigerian presidential candidate died on Thursday, President Olusegun Obasanjo said, casting doubt over whether landmark elections will be held as scheduled next month.

Adebayo Adefarati, 76, candidate of the opposition Alliance for Democracy (AD), died in the southwestern state of Ondo, private radio Ray Power FM reported. The station said Adefarati, who was diabetic, died in hospital.

Obasanjo, speaking at a campaign rally of the ruling People's Democratic Party (PDP) in the capital Abuja, asked the crowd to observe a minute's silence in memory of Adefarati.

Nigeria's Electoral Act stipulates that elections can be postponed if a candidate dies after the deadline for substituting candidates passes, which is the case now. Obasanjo did not say anything about any postponement.

The constitution obliges Obasanjo to hand over power to a new administration at the end of his second term, on May 29. Any postponement of the polls would have to fit within that timetable.

The Electoral Act says a postponement can only be decided by officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Spokesmen for the INEC and the AD were not immediately available to comment. It was not clear if the AD would request a postponement of the elections to allow the party to produce a new candidate.

Nigerians are due to elect their president, state governors and state and national legislators in polls that should mark the first fully democratic transition in Africa's most populous country since independence from Britain in 1960.

The gubernatorial and state assembly elections are scheduled for April 14 while the presidential and National Assembly polls are due to be held on April 21.

News of Adefarati's death comes at a time of heightened tensions in Nigerian politics. Opposition parties have accused Obasanjo of seeking ways to prolong his tenure, which he denies. (Additional reporting by Felix Onuah

http://africa.reuters.com/wire/news/usnL29592109.html
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Razorr(f): 5:15pm On Mar 29, 2007
The last part of the BBC report states that the PDP suspended their ongoing presidential campaign rally in the centre of Abuja, to observe a minute's silence.
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by plezant(f): 5:26pm On Mar 29, 2007
Adefarati out of coma

By Tope Abiola and Yinka Oladoyinbo - 29.03.2007

THE health of the Alliance for Democracy presidential candidate and former governor of Ondo State, Chief Adebayo Adefarati, appeared to have improved as reports said he is out of coma.

Sources at the Federal Medical Centre, Owo, said that the 76-year-old politician “has been revived by the doctors, but his speeches are still incoherent.”

The source said that Chief Adefarati was now responding positively to treatment and was not likely to be taken abroad for treatment.

Intermittent prayer sessions were said to be holding at his home at Akungba-Akoko, his home town, to bring him back home alive.

A source told the Nigerian Tribune that the former governor might be discharged from the hospital tomorrow as his condition has improved drastically.

Efforts to get the management of the hospital to speak on the latest condition of the septuagenarian politician were, however, not successful.

Adefarati was admitted at the FMC, Owo, last Saturday following the deterioration in his health.

But his family insisted that the condition of the AD presidential candidate was not as bad as the people were made to believe.

However, the hospital management has tightened security around the former governor, as outsiders were not allowed to gain access to the private wards, where he was admitted.

Gboyega, one of the children of Adefarati, however, said his father would leave the hospital tomorrow, as his condition had improved tremendously.

He said the former governor only needed to rest for some time at the hospital, hence he would have returned home since.
http://www.tribune.com.ng/29032007/news/news4.html
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Razorr(f): 5:32pm On Mar 29, 2007
Sister, that is yesterday's news!   angry

We are talking about a breaking news here! Haaaaa!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6507813.stm

http://africa.reuters.com/wire/news/usnL29592109.html
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by penyng: 5:59pm On Mar 29, 2007
Na yaoooooooo

Obasanjo and PDP plan don work
i know that PDP will do something furny
to elongate obansanjo stay in office
that is why their senators in senate rufused the
amendment of the section of the constitution
that covered extension of april polls.

I know that their hand might be involved.
u know Africa remote. embarassed
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by austinejnr: 6:05pm On Mar 29, 2007
The man is dead, may his gentle soul rest in perfect peace, Amen. From what we read on papers today when INEC chairman is saying because of court rulings elections might not hold as schedule, I think Obasanjo and Iwu must be celebrating the death of this man by now because it is an avenue to shift the election dates.
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Gheorghe(m): 6:12pm On Mar 29, 2007
not a suprise, just feeling bad my prayers wasn't anwsered,but i sure know that God has a better plan for our survival.

NAIJARIANS TAKE HEART. GOD IS IN CONTROL. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by plezant(f): 6:13pm On Mar 29, 2007
@Razzor
u re right, they hve updated their site. i just read it some minutes ago.
here is the updated news
http://www.tribune.com.ng/29032007/news/news1.html
AD presidential candidate Adefarati dies at 76
Yinka Oladoyinbo Akure - 29.03.2007

The presidential candidate of the Alliance for Democracy (AD), Chief Adebayo Adefarati, is dead.

Adefarati died at about 1.30pm on Thursday at the Federal Medical Centre, Owo, Ondo State, where he was admitted on Saturday.

Family source said the 76-year-old former governor of Ondo State, whose condition was said to have started stabilizing on Tuesday, died as a result of complications.

His condition was said to have deteriorated in the midnight following which the medical team in the hospital battled seriously to save his life.

It was, however, gathered that the spirited effort of the team of the medical doctors at the hospital, led by a senior officer did not yield positive result, as the late presidential candidate died on Thursday afternoon.

Already, the body of the AD presidential candidate is said to have been deposited at the mortuary of the FMC.

Efforts to speak to the management of the FMC were, however, abortive as almost all the management staff were said not to be around when Nigerian Tribune called.

Besides, all calls put to their mobile phones were not successful, as the phones had been switched off.

Some of the medical doctors approached at the hospital for further information over the incident kept mum and refused to speak to the press.

Meanwhile, immediate family members of the deceased, including his wife, Adetutu and some of his children have also been moved to his home country, Akungba-Akoko.

The town wore a mournful look as the news of the death of Adefarati filtered into the community.

Residents of Akungba-Akoko, mostly students of the Adekunle Ajasin University gathered in groups to discuss the death of the septuagenarian politician.

The people expressed shock over the incident, saying that it was unfortunate that Adefarati died at this crucial period in the history of the country.
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by azorjiu(m): 6:14pm On Mar 29, 2007
may he rest in peace.

i hope the election goes as planned still.
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by kitaun(m): 6:24pm On Mar 29, 2007
hmnn. . . .why am I not surprised? cool
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by joshO: 6:36pm On Mar 29, 2007
I think the elections should be postponed. This is probarbly God's way of 'facilitating' this decision making by man. Like Iwu stated earlier today, too many court cases too close to election day. Too many questions yet unanswered.

It will also allow enough time to ensure the final nail in the greedy buffon Atiku's coffin.
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Nobody: 6:42pm On Mar 29, 2007
OBJ knows that staying will not favour him in any way ofr he will loose more reputation (that is if any is still remaining)

Also, this is the chance the PDP has to do their imposition of their annointed "sons" like Andy Uba on Nigerians, if this election delays, a lot might change that might affect the current situation.

For instance, if Iwu looses his job before the election and someone that will not take this kind of nonsense from OBJ and his PDP comes up, the equation will not balance for OBJ and his PDP.

Me thinks that OBJ will try to conduct the elections even if it means breaking the law.

Yet, as it stands, the chances are that the opposition will go to court to stop the polls based on that clause (please, where did that clause come from?) about an aspirants death.

The chances are also that they might win, and then OBJ will want to save face and delay the polls, but he will not want to leave Aso Rock come May 29.

He will not like the idea of an interim governent, except if he is sure that he would be the one to either head or at least appoint the head and thereby control it.
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Afam(m): 7:02pm On Mar 29, 2007
And what has OBJ and PDP got to do with this man's death now?

It seems that anything that happens in this country must be traced back to OBJ or the PDP.

It is either we are not praying enough or Gos is too wise to only answer the prayer of the righteous.
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Uche2nna(m): 7:10pm On Mar 29, 2007
I served in Ondo state and I must tell U that Nature only took its course; No foul play here!!!! Adefarati has not been enjoying good health since God knows when. He never showed up in any of the state's NYSC activities. The 2 times he was scheduled to come officially where the swearing in ceremony and the passing out parade ;he never shoed up and we waited for 3 hours under the rain and inside the sun for him. He later sent in aide in his place who apologised and said he was ill. I bet he would have not showed up when we finally met at Akure for the final passing out only that then he has been usurped by Olusegun Agagu. So I was least surprised when I heard about his death. May his soul rest in peace.
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Bankole01(m): 7:53pm On Mar 29, 2007
Sorry the man is dead! fault if any delays occur goes to the AD. How come they chose an old man to run for presidential election. Don't they have any young capable men in their party. This is part of the problem with Nigeria, recycling old tired and worn out men who were never able to perform during their hay days. How do expect them to all of a sudden become miraculous managers of the land. A law should be passed which will prevent anyone over 70 running for office.
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Nobody: 8:13pm On Mar 29, 2007
Sometimes I wonder why passions runs so high over little or no issues.

The thread is more about whether the election will still hold now that this man is dead than the issue of his death. I was not saying that OBJ or the PDP killed him. I dont think I suggested it in anyway at least it did not cross my mind.

The fact is that OBJ and PDP hold at least 2 or 3 aces out of the total of 4 in what happens next. Meanwhile, I am sorry if stepped on somebody's toes just because I mentioned OBJ and PDP. I meant no harm.
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Razorr(f): 8:23am On Mar 30, 2007
[size=14pt]Elections would hold as planned![/size]

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article05

THE death of the presidential candidate of the Alliance for Democracy (AD) and former Ondo State Governor, Chief Adebayo Adefarati, notwithstanding, the April 14 and 21 general elections would still hold, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said.

The chairman of the commission, Prof. Maurice Iwu, while reacting to the death of the elder statesman, told leaders of the political parties at a meeting yesterday that the commission would not want anything to derail the forthcoming elections.

The commission's Director of Public Affairs, Pastor Segun Adeogun, told journalists that Iwu had already defused the tension about the elections by telling the party leaders that the elections would not be shifted as being feared.

I pray there are no further conplications to derail the comming elections. Amen.
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Afam(m): 9:31am On Mar 30, 2007
penyng:

Na yaoooooooo

Obasanjo and PDP plan don work
i know that PDP will do something furny
to elongate obansanjo stay in office
that is why their senators in senate rufused the
amendment of the section of the constitution
that covered extension of april polls.

I know that their hand might be involved.
u know Africa remote. embarassed

@noblezone,

Take am easy now. My post was based on the one I have just quoted above, not yours.

Enjoy.
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Amabious(m): 9:58am On Mar 30, 2007
One of Nigeria presidential candidates death, AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! no doubt on poll schedule Nigerian polls may be postponed. Independent National Eletoral Commission (INEC) does not need to postpone forthcoming election with reason,

According to Nigeria's electoral act, elections are to be delayed "until a convenient date" if a candidate dies after nomination papers are delivered.

I hope the election will go as planned still. How come they chose an old man to run for presidential election.

May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace AMEN!!!

A.M. Abiodun = amabious
Agbowo U.I.

Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Razorr(f): 10:19am On Mar 30, 2007
Amabious:

How come they chose an old man to run for presidential election.

Very good question!
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Bankole01(m): 1:37pm On Mar 30, 2007
Iwu is being generous considering Adefarati's death does not affect the PDP. If it had been the other way round, would he, Obasanjo and PDP be so accomodating and not interprete the electoral law to favour postponement?
Re: AD Presidential Candidate Is Dead! Elections might be postponed! by Razorr(f): 7:27pm On Apr 01, 2007
I still feel that the presidential elections might be postponed, going by the fact that the AD is asking for it and the Electoral Act states that it should be postponed.

As far as I'm concerned, someone is playing games with Nigerians.

Let's see what happens.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Jailed For Smuggling A Child Into The Uk / Ministerial Screening:drusman Skipped, Aliyu Dropped / Happening Now! Mamoth Crowd Greets Paul Obanua In Warri Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.