Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:26 PM

So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? (6429 Views)

The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land / Eri Festival: Ooni Of Ife, 25 African Americans To Storm Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Moorish: 9:16am On Aug 12, 2018
Recent surveys of African Americans using a genetic testing service have found varied ancestries which show different tendencies by region and sex of ancestors. These studies found that on average, African Americans have 73.2-82.1% West African, 16.7%-24% European, and 0.8–1.2% Native Americangenetic ancestry, with large variation between individuals

Correspondingly, Montinaro et al. (2014) observed that around 50% of the overall ancestry of African Americans traces back to the Niger-Congo-speaking Yoruba of southwestern Nigeria and southern Benin, reflecting the centrality of this West African region in the Atlantic Slave Trade.

Benin here means dahomey or republic of Benin

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Americans
Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by amaniro: 9:25am On Aug 12, 2018
The rest are other southerners including igbos

1 Like

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by HORRORIZON: 12:37am On Aug 13, 2018
That's false, most of us are of South-Eastern Nigerian (mainly Igbo) and Central African (mainly some type of Angolan) ethnic ancestry.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Moorish: 6:16am On Aug 13, 2018
HORRORIZON:
That's false, most of us are of South-Eastern Nigerian (mainly Igbo) and Central African (mainly some type of Angolan) ethnic ancestry.
Research says otherwise

I would believe research over an individual's opinion, thanks
Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by HarryDuce(m): 9:39am On Aug 17, 2018
Obalufon:

igbo slaves were self drowned you can't tame the beast most of them were brutally skinned alive ,hung , burn at stake trying to escape ..Yoruba slaves were highly in demand by the slave merchants because of their intelligence and resilience.
It's not a competition bro. You shouldn't be talking about it with such pride.

13 Likes

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Fatherofdragons: 11:25am On Aug 17, 2018
Obalufon:

igbo slaves were self drowned you can't tame the beast most of them were brutally skinned alive ,hung , burn at stake trying to escape ..Yoruba slaves were highly in demand by the slave merchants because of their intelligence and resilience.

U should be banned for making such a hateful comment.

3 Likes

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Moorish: 9:17am On Aug 24, 2018
HarryDuce:
It's not a competition bro. You shouldn't be talking about it with such pride.
Oh yes I would say it with pride

The afro-americans/caribs are the next world leaders.

It is a thing of pride becos Joseph will once again re-invent civilization in the lands of pharoah.

Just like he always does.

Im

Hotep

1 Like

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Nobody: 12:31am On Aug 25, 2018
Moorish:
Recent surveys of African Americans using a genetic testing service have found varied ancestries which show different tendencies by region and sex of ancestors. These studies found that on average, African Americans have 73.2-82.1% West African, 16.7%-24% European, and 0.8–1.2% Native Americangenetic ancestry, with large variation between individuals

Correspondingly, Montinaro et al. (2014) observed that around 50% of the overall ancestry of African Americans traces back to the Niger-Congo-speaking Yoruba of southwestern Nigeria and southern Benin, reflecting the centrality of this West African region in the Atlantic Slave Trade.

Benin here means dahomey or republic of Benin

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Americans

That is great falsehood.

Pls list black Americans who have ever announced that they traced their origin n found out that they were Yorubas? ?

2 Likes

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Nobody: 12:31am On Aug 25, 2018
Moorish:
Research says otherwise
I would believe research over an individual's opinion, thanks
U don't find researches on Wikipedia pages.

1 Like

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Nobody: 12:34am On Aug 25, 2018
Moorish:

Oh yes I would say it with pride

The afro-americans/caribs are the next world leaders.

It is a thing of pride becos Joseph will once again re-invent civilization in the lands of pharoah.

Just like he always does.

Im

Hotep

"" The afro-americans/caribs are the next world leaders.""

List dem

2 Likes

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Moorish: 12:43am On Aug 25, 2018
PrecisionFx:

That is great falsehood.

Pls list black Americans who have ever announced that they traced their origin n found out that they were Yorubas? ?
Wikipedia is credible enough in presenting adequately referenced material from multiple sources.

If you have a counter argument to Wikipedia you must provide adequate references.

The references are all on Wikipedia so it's on you to disprove them

This response can be applied to all your other enquiries as well

Peace
Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Moorish: 12:45am On Aug 25, 2018
PrecisionFx:

"" The afro-americans/caribs are the next world leaders.""

List dem
Based on prophecy
Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Nobody: 12:55am On Aug 25, 2018
Moorish:
Based on prophecy
lol. Ok.
Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Nobody: 12:55am On Aug 25, 2018
Moorish:
Based on prophecy
lol. Ok.
Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Nobody: 12:57am On Aug 25, 2018
Moorish:

Wikipedia is credible enough in presenting adequately referenced material from multiple sources.

If you have a counter argument to Wikipedia you must provide adequate references.

The references are all on Wikipedia so it's on you to disprove them

This response can be applied to all your other enquiries as well

Peace

The references there leads nowhere.

Since u have never seen a black american trace his ancestry to yoruba land, Den stop talking shiit Sir.

2 Likes

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Moorish: 5:17am On Aug 25, 2018
adeyoye638:
I would believe it if the research says so
Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Moorish: 5:20am On Aug 25, 2018
PrecisionFx:

That is great falsehood.

Nasir Jones

Nas
Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Moorish: 5:20am On Aug 25, 2018
PrecisionFx:

The references there leads nowhere.

Since u have never seen a black american trace his ancestry to yoruba land, Den stop talking shiit Sir.

If you want to trade insults then I am not interested
Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Moorish: 5:21am On Aug 25, 2018
Wikipedia is credible enough

Science is more reliable than jealousy and denial

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Moorish: 5:22am On Aug 25, 2018
Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Moorish: 5:27am On Aug 25, 2018
PrecisionFx:

U don't find researches on Wikipedia pages.
Sorry but you must be uninformed
Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 25, 2018
Moorish:

Nasir Jones

Nas

So u could only mention one.

Nas is a Yoruba Man,He didn't need to trace his ancestry because he's father is Yoruba n his father knows that he's a Yoruba man.

2 Likes

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Moorish: 9:07am On Aug 25, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Nas is a Yoruba Man,He didn't need to trace his ancestry because he's father is Yoruba n his father knows that he's a Yoruba man.
Okay.

I am open to a respectful dialogue on this.

You might know something I do not.

I respect and regard wikipedia as a source of true information.

However this information is not always true especially when dishonest human elements interfere with said information.

Are there any alternative sources offering a different perspective?

Please do share

Thanks

1 Like

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Obalufon: 3:29pm On Aug 26, 2018
Moorish:

Okay.

I am open to a respectful dialogue on this.

You might know something I do not.

I respect and regard wikipedia as a source of true information.

However this information is not always true especially when dishonest human elements interfere with said information.

Are there any alternative sources offering a different perspective?

Please do share

Thanks

Have said it all you can't tame the beast ..you can't use a massai or suni tribe as slave it would be a futile effort they would end up killed by their slave master or they committing suicide they are aggressive and hostile .. Moreover , the whites needed slaves worker for cotton and sugarcane plantation it would be unwise to seek a tribe that doesn't have a clothing culture ..most slaves were from Senegal Mali madinka Fula and ewe/Togo.adja fon sub tribes of Yoruba most sought out for slaves then were the Yorubas just because of their intelligent ,resilient and expertise in cotton and sugarcane cultivation. ..Out of all the slaves taken to Caribbean and Americas is only yoruba slaves that could trace their ancestry without the use of DNA ..Almost all south american could trace their ancestry to their village ,they are able to do this through ancestral oriki and religion , they still recite their lineage poetry Oriki .. some had be come so mixed they've totally lost their blackness but yoruba blood is very strong is a spirit less than 1% yoruba DNA will speak louder will always yearn to be heard . though, enslaved our ancestors never die they are returning home in millions .. ..We have long history of migration for thousands of years so going into slavery for 400yrs is nothing we are free

3 Likes

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by sallimsayin: 6:50am On Aug 27, 2018
adeyoye638:

This person is correct. 37% of our ancestors were of Bantu origin(70%+ for Brazilians!), many Igbo, and many Ewe/Fon (Gbe speakers), Manding speakers, etc.. But the largest chunks being from the former 3 groups.. You can do the math yourself, I have, from slave voyage records. There were Hausa, Yoruba, Wolof, etc. mixed in, but the majority when it comes to Nigerians and those in that particular region, it's not even close, the majority were Igbo. I've always tested and read many research studies over the last 10 years. I've tested with 23andme, Ancestry, FTDNA, etc. all the major and some minor companies. Yoruba, in this case, is used as a proxy. They use Yoruba as a stand-in for that type of DNA. If a 100% Akan (Ghana)tested, they would get Yoruba. If a Hausa tested? They get Yoruba. If a Wolof tested, they'd get Mandinka. If they test for Southern European, they'll use, say, an Italian individual. Any Southern European will get Italian, ..it doesn't matter if they're Greek, because that is the proxy, that is the only representative for that DNA in the test. Anyone who tests with these companies know, because they tell you, that it's not telling you that you're specifically these things, it's only a representative for that type of W. African DNA. Mandinka or Wolof is usually used to represent more extreme Western African DNA (Senegal, Gambia, Guinea, etc.). They use anyone from Fang, to Bakongo, to Baluba peoples etc. to represent non-SE Bantu...they use Kenyans or Mozambicans, usually, for SE Bantu..they use Moroccans to represent anyone with N. African DNA..doesn't matter if their people never have visited Morocco...Ethiopians and Somalians for E. Africa..it doesn't mean that you belong to that particular group. If you want proof of this, check out Dr. McDonald (Harvard professor), 23andme, FTDNA's research papers.

This is obvious from cousin matches we (people in the diaspora) get via DNA testing, as well. The number of Igbo, Ghanaians (Akan and Ewe), and Bantu that come up outpace every other group, even if you add all their numbers together (all those not of these 3 general groups). I've had exactly 2 Yoruba cousin matches, compared to 2 handfuls of Igbo...all from the same general area. A lot of the Wiki information is outdated or has been flat out debunked.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Moorish: 11:31am On Aug 27, 2018
sallimsayin:

This person is correct. 37% of our ancestors were of Bantu origin(70%+ for Brazilians!), many Igbo, and many Ewe/Fon (Gbe speakers), Manding speakers, etc.. But the largest chunks being from the former 3 groups. I *am* a researcher. You can do the math yourself, I have, from slave voyage records. There were Hausa, Yoruba, Wolof, etc. mixed in, but the majority when it comes to Nigerians and those in that particular region, it's not even close, the majority were Igbo. I've always tested and read many research studies over the last 10 years. I've tested with 23andme, Ancestry, FTDNA, etc. all the major and some minor companies. Yoruba, in this case, is used as a proxy. They use Yoruba as a stand-in for that type of DNA. If a 100% Akan (Ghana)tested, they would get Yoruba. If a Hausa tested? They get Yoruba. If a Wolof tested, they'd get Mandinka. If they test for Southern European, they'll use, say, an Italian individual. Any Southern European will get Italian, ..it doesn't matter if they're Greek, because that is the proxy, that is the only representative for that DNA in the test. Anyone who tests with these companies know, because they tell you, that it's not telling you that you're specifically these things, it's only a representative for that type of W. African DNA. Mandinka or Wolof is usually used to represent more extreme Western African DNA (Senegal, Gambia, Guinea, etc.). They use anyone from Fang, to Bakongo, to Baluba peoples etc. to represent non-SE Bantu...they use Kenyans or Mozambicans, usually, for SE Bantu..they use Moroccans to represent anyone with N. African DNA..doesn't matter if their people never have visited Morocco...Ethiopians and Somalians for E. Africa..it doesn't mean that you belong to that particular group. If you want proof of this, check out Dr. McDonald (Harvard professor), 23andme, FTDNA's research papers.

This is obvious from cousin matches we (people in the diaspora) get via DNA testing, as well. The number of Igbo, Ghanaians (Akan and Ewe), and Bantu that come up outpace every other group, even if you add all their numbers together (all those not of these 3 general groups). I've had exactly 2 Yoruba cousin matches, compared to 2 handfuls of Igbo...all from the same general area. A lot of the Wiki information is outdated or has been flat out debunked.
That's Interesting

Thanks for your insight

So most tribes West of Yoruba are genetically Yoruba then

That is E1b1a genetic strain I think

Well, the Yoruba kingdoms stretched to the Volta river

1 Like

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Moorish: 2:10pm On Sep 13, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Nas said his father was searching for his roots and found out his ancestors came from dahomey, present day Benin republic, from the Yoruba tribes there

Nas’ father never had a Nigerian passport if you are trying to insinuate that

If you have a follow up response which is more accurate than mine I would bow to your truth

1 Like

Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Sep 13, 2018
Moorish:

Nas said his father was searching for his roots and found out his ancestors came from dahomey, present day Benin republic, from the Yoruba tribes there

Nas’ father never had a Nigerian passport if you are trying to insinuate that

If you have a follow up response which is more accurate than mine I would bow to your truth

I didnt say his father had a nigerian passport.

""Pls list black Americans who have ever announced that they traced their origin n found out that they were Yorubas?""

I am still waiting for ur list
Re: So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? by HORRORIZON: 12:37am On Sep 19, 2018
PrecisionFx:

I didnt say his father had a nigerian passport.

""Pls list black Americans who have ever announced that they traced their origin n found out that they were Yorubas?""

I am still waiting for ur list

I Personally know of many who have been traced to Igbo, but not a single one whom has been traced to Yoruba. The vast majority of Yoruba were taken to South and Central America but mainly Brazil; very, very few were brought to the US or its prior colonies it was formed from.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? / Oba Of Benin Is 30 Years On The Throne / The Beauty Of Phat/chunky/big Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.