Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (335) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (792843 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by timi02: 1:01pm On Mar 13, 2019
Good afternoon everyone, great job here!
I am on F1 visa in US for masters, now i have switched to Phd and my F1 will expire in August. How do i renew? Do i need to come to Nigeria? Or?
I will be waiting for your advice.
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 1:03pm On Mar 13, 2019
JoeBazz:
Thanks bro
you welcome sis
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 1:04pm On Mar 13, 2019
timi02:
Good afternoon everyone, great job here!
I am on F1 visa in US for masters, now i have switched to Phd and my F1 will expire in August. How do i renew? Do i need to come to Nigeria? Or?
I will be waiting for your advice.
Thanks
canada or Mexico is also an option

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 1:41pm On Mar 13, 2019
CuteRedd:
you are assuming the amount is the issue whereby the transcript didn’t show any hint of that being the problem. @bolded Good, that’s the best we can all do which is to advice people and not otherwise as I stated earlier. Not everyone agrees with our school of thought on matters and that should be ok. I am not even in support nor against his decision i just want us to be careful in denigrating people’s decisions when we don’t have enough context.

I am not assuming, i know the tuition fees for Northeastern University, it's very expensive.. The bottom line is that he couldn't prove why he chose the expensive school over a less expensive one. Both are very good schools. Put yourself in the V.O position, why do you want to spend over 20m per year for a program? Without a good answer, a V.O might not approve the person.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 13, 2019
Time2win:

So if harvard university gave you admit and the tuition fees is 85k$ without funding, then you choose it over university of florida that's also well respected and the tuition fee is 35k$. How is choosing harvard university a good choice. How many Nigerians can afford their tuition fees? Let's be realistic and leave ranking aside now. We haven't even talked about living expenses in both states

Hahaha! Clap for yourself. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks the same way you do.

The cost of education (not just education) is not only the value attached to the $$ sign in the tuition. In everything we purchase, there are monetary and non-monetary costs as well as monetary and non-monetary benefits. When faced with such a situation, a smart person will open a spreadsheet and run the numbers. A smart person will evaluate the alumni benefits, the location, the quality of education, the network, the career opportunities, the prestige (yeah, the prestige) and the quality of classmates. All these are benefits and costs that are not associated with tuition but are what determines the educational experience of people. Depending on what you want to get out of the educational experience, these factors are even more influential than the tuition.

After running the numbers, a smart person will choose the option that provides the highest utility. I believe the 18-year-old boy did something similar and that was why I was moved to provide the best guidance I could provide. Some people are just too damn smart and age is never a determining factor for smartness.

So, next time, when faced with two decisions like that, never compare the monetary costs alone. If you do so, you will lose out on a hell lot of utility. I don't expect you understand or accept, but you don't take a horse to a river and force it to drink water. Use your brain well!

For someone that wants to have a wonderful educational experience (including those factors I listed), Northeastern University trumps the University of Arkansas significantly. I'm beginning to think that you are a student at the University of Arkansas which explains why you are getting so emotional about the issue.

No more comments on this again.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Pepperoni001: 3:00pm On Mar 13, 2019
The God who did this for you, will do mine also...

Congrats

xdamson:
Hi everyone, I want to encourage you not to give up, it may seem as if you fail but hey! Refire as many time as you can. Don't give up but ensure you're a genuine student

My visa was approved on the 6th appointment

Profile:

GRE:314
TOEFL:99
Application: 4 schools
Admitted : all
Funding: 2 schools(fellowship, 15k each)

Visa approved on AP: 26/07
Visa issued. : 08/08
Passport collected. : 09/08
Departure. : 11/08
Program start date. : 10/08
PoE. : Newark, New Jersey
School: : Louisiana

I intentionally wrote out the above details, I'm sure it will answer some questions in some pips mind, I had those questions too.

Below is my final transcript (Abuja)

Vo: Good morning
Me: Good morning
Vo: can I have your i20 and passport
Me: passed it
Vo: I can see that you're going to UL
Me: yes please
Vo: when did you graduate first degree
Me: year 2011
Vo:what have you been doing since then
Me: I went for the compulsory NYSC from nov 2011 to oct 2012, I Stated working with abc bank from apr 2013 to Jan 2018, then I joined bdc bank in feb 2018 till now
Vo: so what will you do after this degree
Me: I intend to come back to nigeria to work for 2 years after which I will start my own ict consulting company, did you know that online transactions in nigeria actually hit 86 trillion naira last year? Yes, it did and Q1 2018 is already at 36 trillion naira. This is a good sphere to play in and there are more challenges that needs solutions ( I mumbled jumbled a bit here)
Vo: how much do you earn?
Me: about 314k monthly
Vo: how did you choose this school
Me: it was recommended by a colleague of mine who also did his masters there, I researched the school for areas of interest and I matched with Dr. MT, I mailed him and he requested for my cv and test scores, he was impressed and recommended me to the grad cord Dr. AM who then advised me to apply. I did and I was granted the admission
Vo: you said you wrote GRE
Me:yes, I did
Vo: what's your score
Me:314
Vo: what of TOEFL
Me:99
Vo: how do you intend to fund this degree
Me: I was granted a fellowship of 14k+ and I have been saving for 5 years and I have 11k making a total of 25k both of them covers for my tuition while my uncle who is also my mentor will cover for the monthly expenses
Vo: do you have documents to that effect
Me: (passed fellowship offer letter and both banks statements mine and uncle,fixed deposit and treasury bill certificate of my uncle) I explained further while she was checking it: my uncle actually placed the money in fixed deposit until I'm ready so as to generate more interest, my investment is on call deposit which I liquidated before coming here(the money came in 2 days ago and I know she will definitely notice, it was a genuine call deposit investment)

After perusing the documents and typing

Vo: I will hold on to this document for confirmation, if found false you and your uncle would be banned for 10 years, do you still want to submit it
Me: yes definitely
( she returned my i20 and folded banks details into my passport and placed it aside)
(Me don dey korinsinu--oluwa ese, na so devil rear head)
Vo: wait, you've been denied in Lagos before?
Me: yes, I was denied last year
Vo: what was the reason
Me:I wasn't given a reason but I was actually advised to reapply.(I had already started stammering. I wanted to say because I didn't give enough reason for ties but smth just gum my mouth)
Vo: typed very fast and gave me white copy and said the remaining pick up stuffs
Me: thank you so much.

Well, above is actually my sixth attempt, 5 in Lagos denied 1 in Abuja approved.

Don't give up, give it one more push. God is never late, if you know you know

My sneakers had no lace, forgot it in Lagos

Wore only a round neck and chinos

My hair and mustache was unkempt, didn't bother to cut it

Forgot my shakomended glasses in Lagos

My point: by all standard it was just God

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Chemical2(m): 3:13pm On Mar 13, 2019
godG:

Greetings, my oga. Yessir.

Great! Will send you a PM. Thanks!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by calculator123(m): 3:27pm On Mar 13, 2019
bracelum:

Sorry, I didn't ask you the question. So, I will appreciate that you ignore it and allow the person I asked to respond.
And for your information, Harvard does not fund all their students.
You can't tell me to ignore the question after all this is a public forum for all and sundry to air their views.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 3:28pm On Mar 13, 2019
Time2win:

I am not assuming, i know the tuition fees for Northeastern University, it's very expensive.. The bottom line is that he couldn't prove why he chose the expensive school over a less expensive one. Both are very good schools. Put yourself in the V.O position, why do you want to spend over 20m per year for a program? Without a good answer, a V.O might not approve the person.
I meant you assumed the reason for the denial was because it was too expensive, when i have stated for the umpteenth time that there was nothing to show that was the reason for the rejection. He wasn't even asked about his financial statements. I believe his response to the question and his lack of confidence was what caused the reject. Anyway we can end here.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 3:30pm On Mar 13, 2019
bracelum:

Hahaha! Clap for yourself. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks the same way you do.

The cost of education (not just education) is not only the value attached to the $$ sign in the tuition. In everything we purchase, there are monetary and non-monetary costs as well as monetary and non-monetary benefits. When faced with such a situation, a smart person will open a spreadsheet and run the numbers. A smart person will evaluate the alumni benefits, the location, the quality of education, the network, the career opportunities, the prestige (yeah, the prestige) and the quality of classmates. All these are benefits and costs that are not associated with tuition but are what determines the educational experience of people. Depending on what you want to get out of the educational experience, these factors are even more influential than the tuition.

After running the numbers, a smart person will choose the option that provides the highest utility. I believe the 18-year-old boy did something similar and that was why I was moved to provide the best guidance I could provide. Some people are just too damn smart and age is never a determining factor for smartness.

So, next time, when faced with two decisions like that, never compare the monetary costs alone. If you do so, you will lose out on a hell lot of utility. I don't expect you understand or accept, but you don't take a horse to a river and force it to drink water. Use your brain well!

For someone that wants to have a wonderful educational experience (including those factors I listed), Northeastern University trumps the University of Arkansas significantly. I'm beginning to think that you are a student at the University of Arkansas which explains why you are getting so emotional about the issue.

Gbam
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 4:02pm On Mar 13, 2019
bracelum:

No need to even talk more over this. As if success is based on the school you attend. Rubbish!!! I will never take a huge loan just to attend a top ranked school and spend 4 to 10 years of my life working to pay the loan. Everyone with his or her choices.

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 4:04pm On Mar 13, 2019
calculator123:

You can't tell me to ignore the question after all this is a public forum for all and sundry to air their views.

Minding your business is a very important skill to have. However, I can choose to ignore your comments (as I will do after this comment), but it will help you on a long-run.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by adeshna: 4:04pm On Mar 13, 2019
A friend 28 went for visa interview, consular was impressed by all his answers and all. But he was asked, has he married? No. He was rejected.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 4:05pm On Mar 13, 2019
CuteRedd:
I meant you assumed the reason for the denial was because it was too expensive, when i have stated for the umpteenth time that there was nothing to show that was the reason for the rejection. He wasn't even asked about his financial statements. I believe his response to the question and his lack of confidence was what caused the reject. Anyway we can end here.

What's wrong if i assume? No one here knows why he was denied or what the V.O was thinking. By the way, i wasn't assuming but pointing out where i saw weakness in his reply. We are just giving advice so he can get his visa.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 4:07pm On Mar 13, 2019
adeshna:
A friend 28 went for visa interview, consular was impressed by all his answers and all. But he was asked, has he married? No. He was rejected.

That's not the reason he was denied. The number of unmarried people who have gotten visa is more than the married ones. He should post his transcript.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 4:13pm On Mar 13, 2019
Time2win:

No need to even talk more over this. As if success is based on the school you attend. Rubbish!!! I will never take a huge loan just to attend a top ranked school and spend 4 to 10 years of my life working to pay the loan. Everyone with his or her choices.

Hahahaha, different strokes for different folks. Based on what you have said, all I see here is myopic reasoning. You'll never know the benefits of something if you never enjoyed it.

Not everyone attends schools to learn algebra or linear equations. In fact, with advancements in online learning, a lot of people now do not need to attend the 4 walls of classrooms to learn algebra and linear equations again. Some people attend schools to meet co-founders, enjoy lifelong connections with highly connected people or even to compete with very ambitious and intelligent classmates. All these cannot be ascertained from the $$$ in tuition.

And yeah, those experiences end up making a lot of those folks very very successful.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 4:17pm On Mar 13, 2019
CuteRedd:

Leave that guy. It seems like he attends Arkansas (not sure though) and he's so sad that the guy rejected his school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by xcaper(m): 4:29pm On Mar 13, 2019
Ok thank you. I just got admission to NCAT , can i start sending mails to the departmental coordinator for funding? Has anyone here been able to get funding for MS study at NCAT?
godG:

Based on my experience, there's nothing implicating about it. Just make sure you are going to be funded. Good luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by adeshna: 4:30pm On Mar 13, 2019
Time2win:

That's not the reason he was denied. The number of unmarried people who have gotten visa is more than the married ones. He should post his transcript.

What do you see for a 32 year old applying for undergraduate program. Will he get visa if he gets admission? Is the age not a barrier?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 4:45pm On Mar 13, 2019
bracelum:

Leave that guy. It seems like he attends Arkansas (not sure though) and he's so sad that the guy rejected his school.

grin grin grin i rest my case on this issue

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 4:47pm On Mar 13, 2019
Time2win:

What's wrong if i assume? No one here knows why he was denied or what the V.O was thinking. By the way, i[b] wasn't assuming but pointing out where i saw weakness in his reply[/b]. We are just giving advice so he can get his visa.
Noted that's fine
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 4:48pm On Mar 13, 2019
adeshna:

What do you see for a 32 year old applying for undergraduate program. Will he get visa if he gets admission? Is the age not a barrier?

For U.S, it's a huge redflag though some have gotten their visa with such age for B.Sc. It all depends on the answers he gave for the wide gap in age. The person will definitely be asked what he has been doing since he finished high school
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by CuteRedd(f): 4:51pm On Mar 13, 2019
bracelum:

Hahahaha, different strokes for different folks. Based on what you have said, all I see here is myopic reasoning. You'll never know the benefits of something if you never enjoyed it.

Not everyone attends schools to learn algebra or linear equations. In fact, with advancements in online learning, a lot of people now do not need to attend the 4 walls of classrooms to learn algebra and linear equations again. Some people attend schools to meet co-founders, enjoy lifelong connections with highly connected people or even to compete with very ambitious and intelligent classmates. All these cannot be ascertained from the $$$ in tuition.

And yeah, those experiences end up making a lot of those folks very very successful.
kiss
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by adeshna: 5:07pm On Mar 13, 2019
Time2win:

For U.S, it's a huge redflag though some have gotten their visa with such age for B.Sc. It all depends on the answers he gave for the wide gap in age. The person will definitely be asked what he has been doing since he finished high school

I have a first degree but a 3rd class. I also did PGD.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 5:38pm On Mar 13, 2019
adeshna:

I have a first degree but a 3rd class. I also did PGD.

With your B.Sc and PGD, you can mail some schools to see if they can take you for masters. That your age won't be easy to convince a V.O for B.Sc. Have you gone for an interview before for B.Sc at US consulate?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by adeshna: 6:54pm On Mar 13, 2019
Time2win:

With your B.Sc and PGD, you can mail some schools to see if they can take you for masters. That your age won't be easy to convince a V.O for B.Sc. Have you gone for an interview before for B.Sc at US consulate?

Most schools only accept first degree. Non accept PGD. The ones that told me to evaluate PGD said it is probability. They are not assuring me PGD can be used, maybe. The CGPA accepted by most schools is 2.5 above.

No, I haven't gone for an interview for Bsc at US consulate.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Predstan: 7:14pm On Mar 13, 2019
adeshna:

Most schools only accept first degree. Non accept PGD. The ones that told me to evaluate PGD said it is probability. They are not assuring me PGD can be used, maybe. The CGPA accepted by most schools is 2.5 above.

No, I haven't gone for an interview for Bsc at US consulate.

In this case. You would need WES evaluation. I assure you it wi ne an equivalent of a Bachelor's degree and your GPA will be above 2.5 which will eventually qualify you for a Masters. That is I'd your PGD is of high CGPa
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by calculator123(m): 7:19pm On Mar 13, 2019
bracelum:

Minding your business is a very important skill to have. However, I can choose to ignore your comments (as I will do after this comment), but it will help you on a long-run.
Minding my business in a public forum? Dude please cut me that crap. You could have as well kept the thought to yourself if you didn't want others to interfere in your convo

8 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olalekank(m): 7:25pm On Mar 13, 2019
calculator123:

Minding my business in a public forum? Dude please cut me that crap. You could have as well kept the thought to yourself if you didn't want others to interfere in your convo
Take it easy man...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 7:55pm On Mar 13, 2019
calculator123:

Hahaha, keep ranting. Na you get your mouth
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by adeshna: 8:13pm On Mar 13, 2019
Predstan:

In this case. You would need WES evaluation. I assure you it wi ne an equivalent of a Bachelor's degree and your GPA will be above 2.5 which will eventually qualify you for a Masters. That is I'd your PGD is of high CGPa

Thanks. I will do that. I have 2.05/5.0 CGPA. And schools in the US accept 3.0/4.0 or 2.5/4.0.

(1) (2) (3) ... (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.