Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,431 members, 7,808,538 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (488) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (792675 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (485) (486) (487) (488) (489) (490) (491) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Greatg0809: 12:20pm On May 23, 2019
Please any body that wants to cancel pls, I need May June date pls
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sillysassysally(f): 12:28pm On May 23, 2019
I paid about 180k for mine. Check sky scanner

Prexy1999:
Please any cheap flight booking from Lagos to New York will cost us how much? I and my fiancée want to book ASAP we've our passport back from the Embassy.

Please any information will be appreciated sir/ma. We're novice to this processing oh grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by MrCuteking(m): 12:33pm On May 23, 2019
My first time

Visa denied today.
Lagos 6:30am Walter carington
cry

VO- good morning why are you going to the US?

Me- I want to obtain a second bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering.

VO- What did you study at first?

Me- I studied petroleum Engineering.

VO- Why study Mechanical Engineering when they are both related?

Me- My time as a Petroleum Engineering student was totally unsatisfying so I intend to take a new path in Engineering field so as to become more suitable and relevant in a stable industry for tomorrow's work force.

VO- Why not go for your masters instead?

Me- I believe that the engineering system is substandard over here, so I intentd to start from the fundamental stage in a better school with good learning environment and great tools that can help me grow.

VO- how many schools did you apply for?

Me- 3 schools

VO- Name them

Me- Western Michigan University, Texas A & M in Austin Texas and LSU in Louisiana.

VO- who is sponsoring you?

Me- Since my dad died it has been my younger brother-sorry Elder brother who works in cheveron Nigeria limited Oil company that will be sponsoring me.

VO- Okay did you take any test?

Me- Yes mam I wrote GRE.

VO- Did the school tell you to write GRE?

Me- They said I should come with any proof to show that Nigeria is an English speaking country.

VO- I'm sorry your visa cannot be granted, you can apply again next time.

I've been sitting at the bus top with brown envelope like one who is depressed and looking for job.

I even forgot to tell the VO I found myself in a mechanical engineering firm. My sis has been on my neck becuas she thought that was the only thing I omitted.

Please house I need your advice.

If I want to apply again what and whatndo I pay for?

Do I go for my masters instead?
I'm confused and depressed. I feel like I'm the worst being on earth. embarassed cry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Predstan: 12:37pm On May 23, 2019
MrCuteking:
My first time

Visa denied today.
cry

Me- My time as a Petroleum Engineering student was totally unsatisfying so I intend to take a new path in Engineering field so as to become more suitable and relevant in a stable industry for tomorrow's work force.

Me- I believe that the engineering system is substandard over here, so I intentd to start from the fundamental stage in a better school with good learning environment and great tools that can help me grow.

Me- 3 schools

VO- Name them

Me- Western Michigan University, Texas A & M in Austin Texas and LSU in Louisiana.

Me- Since my dad died it has been my younger brother-sorry Elder brother who works in cheveron Nigeria limited Oil company that will be sponsoring me.

Me- Yes mam I wrote GRE.

Me- They said I should come with any proof to show that Nigeria is an English speaking country.

I've been sitting at the bus top with brown envelope like one who is depressed and looking for job.

I even forgot to tell the VO I found myself in a mechanical engineering firm. My sis has been on my neck becuas she thought that was the only thing I omitted.

I'm confused and depressed. I feel like I'm the worst being on earth. embarassed cry

You don’t need anyone to tell you why you were denied.. GRE is for graduate Applicants. You already have a degree so you should go for MSc mechanical engineering

9 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by tyleer(m): 12:38pm On May 23, 2019
wow! *dancing zanku for u* congratulations I can't wait for your transcript
handoffire:
Special Thanks to @Time2win helping me with a mock interview Sunday night. @Fairheart and @faybom you guys are amazing. I love you all. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 12:42pm On May 23, 2019
MrCuteking:
My first time

Visa denied today.
cry

Me- 3 schools

VO- Name them

Me- Yes mam I wrote GRE.

Everything is wrong about this transcript.

1) You have Bsc and going again for Bsc..this is a straight reject mostly
2) why are you going for a Mechanical degree?
There are many relevance of a Bsc in Nigeria and you mentioned none. Clearly makes the VO believe you have no plans.
3) you took the GRE instead of SAT
Who does that?

Like who helped you in the application?

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by beejhay69: 12:43pm On May 23, 2019
MrCuteking:
My first time

Visa denied.

Do I go for my masters instead?(YES....YES.....YES!!')
I'm confused and depressed. I feel like I'm the worst being on earth. (EVERYONE HAS A STORY. TAKE THIS AS A MINOR SETBACK FOR A MAJOR COMEBACK) :-(

Hello bro
sorry about the denial.
my opinion on the way forward is in CAPS.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 12:48pm On May 23, 2019
handoffire:
Special Thanks to @Time2win helping me with a mock interview Sunday night. @Fairheart and @faybom you guys are amazing. I love you all. Cheers.

Wow!! Congrats bro. Very happy for you

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Amyfid12: 12:50pm On May 23, 2019
12: 9:36am
Good morning lovely people. Please my interview is tomorrow, the gurus in the house, kindly scrutinize my proposed interview transcript and corrections will be kindly taken. Thanks as I expect your feedbacks.

ME: Good morning Sir

VO: Good morning, can I have your passport and 1-20?

ME: Sure sir

VO: Why are you going to US?

ME: I am going for a Masters degree program in Public Health at WCU, with specialization on Community Health track.

VO: How many schools did you apply?

ME: 6

VO: List them

ME: NDSU, SCSU, ISU, JSU, MSU, WCU.

VO: How many admits?

ME: 5 ( NDSU WCU, SCSU, JSU, ISU). My admission at MSU is still pending.

VO: Why did you choose WCU? Why not NDSU?

ME: I chose WCU because I'm interested in an ongoing research by Prof xxxx on Improving maternal and child health outcomes in undeserved populations. And at present, my community is undeserved haelthwise, cos we've had an increase in maternal and infant deaths. Also, WCU mandates it's MPH students to complete a 6 credits, 300hrs community service course called Applied Learning Experience. That's when students apply public health knowledge and skills gained in the classroom to real world public health problems. Its an avenue for students to interact with their community. This exposure will be of help to me when I return to Nigeria cos it will enable me plan and implement public health programs.

VO? Why MPH?

ME: Nigeria currently has a high burden of public health diseases like Malaria, TB, HIV/AIDS etc due to poor policies and inadequate allocation of resources to combat and control these diseases. My studies in public health will enable me acquire the knowledge and skills to join hands with the FMOH and other public health Non profit organizations to bring possible recommendations and sustainable solutions to the high prevalence rate of public health diseases in Nigeria, this prolonging the life expectancy of the population.

VO: Nods, I can see you're a pharmacist, when did you graduate?

ME: 2012

VO: What have you been doing since?

ME: I commenced a one year internship program at xxxxxx. From there, I was deployed to xxxx for my NYSC. After my NYSC program, I got a job as a Superintendent pharmacist of xxxxxx, where I'm currently working.

VO: Why do you want to leave your job now and study?

ME: Having worked in the hospital environment and community practice, I became interested in preventive care. Questions such as what if people took preventive measures to avoid contracting or spreading diseases? Is the government well informed before making key decisions that impact the health of the public?. Owing to these, I decided to expand beyond the traditional functions of dispensing drugs and health consumables but to pursue a non traditional career opportunities that are more patient oriented and involves public health functions.

VO: What are your plans after your study?

ME: I intend to come back to Nigeria after my studies, having garnered adequate research, practical and field knowledge and skills, it will enable me take up public health positions like monitoring and evaluation officer, epidemiologist etc from any public health non profit organizations like FHI 360, UNICEF, USAID , which are I high demand, thus improving the quality of life of people. Also, on a long term, I will love to establish my own community pharmacy and the skills and knowledge gained during my MPH studies, will also help me render qualitative, accessible and affordable healthcare services to people within my environs.

VO: I can see your aunt is sponsoring you? Why?

ME: Yea, she's one of the people that saw my huge passion for medicine and she encouraged me to go for it. She' sponsored me during my Bachelor's program and still wants to help advance my career.

VO: I will be approving your visa. Hands me a white paper.

ME: Thank you!!!!!!

Please, I need more reviews on my proposed transcript. Am I good to go?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by beejhay69: 1:11pm On May 23, 2019
Amyfid12:
Good morning lovely people. Please my interview is tomorrow.

Hello bro.
Your response are well on point... I hope you are able to articulate each word with precision.
You omited if u did any standardized test.
Were u granted any form of financial assistance by the school.
NEXT STEP:
Try fixing up mock interview.

I'm rooting for you.
Best wishes.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:22pm On May 23, 2019
MrCuteking:
My first time

Visa denied today.
cry

Me- 3 schools

VO- Name them

Me- Yes mam I wrote GRE.

You dont need to be confused or depressed ...........but with this transcipt , it would have been hard to give you a visa. Study Brown2Green and others comment . Also there is no reason why someone with an Engineering BSC should be going for another Engineering BSC, and then to a country that it would cost more to achieve .

That talking about GRE was something else, for someone going for BSC. I almost fell off my chair reading that . That was a big no no

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by bayulll011(m): 1:30pm On May 23, 2019
Amyfid12:
Good morning lovely people. Please my interview is tomorrow, the gurus in the house, kindly scrutinize my proposed interview transcript and corrections will be kindly taken. Thanks as I expect your feedbacks.

ME: Good morning Sir

VO: Good morning, can I have your passport and 1-20?

ME: Sure sir

ME: Thank you!!!!!!

Is very obvious you know what you are going there for.
you also prove to the interviewer you met the requirement simple

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Gloryemo(f): 1:34pm On May 23, 2019
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the great work that is being done here.

Please I work in a University here in Nigeria, I have been admitted (MS) in US in a program that my workplace is currently looking for lecturers for. I got a full tuition waiver with stipend, however, I have about $7k (living expenses) deficit. The department I work (Employer) is willing to sponsor. On my DS160, I have filled Employer in the Sponsor part.

My question now is this, while going for interview, do I need to go with my workplace SOA or a letter of Sponsorship from the department ?

Thanks in anticipation.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 1:43pm On May 23, 2019
Gloryemo:
Hello Everyone,

Please I work in a University here in Nigeria, I have been admitted (MS) in US in a program that my workplace is currently looking for lecturers for. I got a full tuition waiver with stipend, however, I have about $7k (living expenses) deficit. My department (Employer) is willing to sponsor. On my DS160, I have filled Employer in the Sponsor part.

My question now is this, while going for interview, do I need to go with my school SOA or a letter of Sponsorship from my department ?

Thanks in anticipation.

Go with both

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Gloryemo(f): 1:45pm On May 23, 2019
Thank you

Time2win:

Go with both
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Gloryemo(f): 1:49pm On May 23, 2019
But do you think the university will be willing to hand over their huge SOA ??

Time2win:

Go with both

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Amyfid12: 1:53pm On May 23, 2019
beejhay69:

Hello bro.
Your response are well on point... I hope you are able to articulate each word with precision.
You omited if u did any standardized test.
Were u granted any form of financial assistance by the school.
NEXT STEP:
Try fixing up mock interview.

I'm rooting for you.
Best wishes.

Thank you for your feedback. I wrote GRE and TOEFL, no funding from the school but was told will be considered if any opportunities comes up.
PS : It's a SHE....( smiling)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Amyfid12: 1:54pm On May 23, 2019
bayulll011:

Is very obvious you know what you are going there for.
you also prove to the interviewer you met the requirement simple

Thank you!!! God bless
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 1:56pm On May 23, 2019
Gloryemo:
Hello Everyone,

Please I work in a University here in Nigeria, I have been admitted (MS) in US in a program that my workplace is currently looking for lecturers for. I got a full tuition waiver with stipend, however, I have about $7k (living expenses) deficit. The department I work (Employer) is willing to sponsor. On my DS160, I have filled Employer in the Sponsor part.

My question now is this, while going for interview, do I need to go with my workplace SOA or a letter of Sponsorship from the department ?

Thanks in anticipation.

The department is willing to sponsor? Cool then.
They will certainly give you a letter.
The embassy has the right to place you under AP and contact your school to verify that.

It will be safer just as Time 2 Win says if you go with both to lessen your scrutiny on funding.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Olalekank(m): 2:11pm On May 23, 2019
Javanian:
Visa approved today, Lagos Consulate. Fully funded, Ph.D in Computer science. UNT.

VO: I will be approving your VISA, Pick up your passport at X location, bring your I-20 to the point of Entry...., We have a program in EducationUSA....Congratulations.
Congrats able mod!
You deserve it bro

I'm interested in what happened to the dude who ran away from our famous VO grin

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ekunsgreat: 2:13pm On May 23, 2019
bracelum:

You see what I was saying? If you no share transcript now, you go make everyone believe say na VO fault.

BOLD 1: So, you did not take a leave last year during your application? That was not a good reason and I feel you set a sad impression from that point. You can say stuff like "I couldn't articluate my study plan properly to the VO and I was rejected". A follow-up question might be "So, tell me about your study plan". Then, you can climb the wheel and murder your interview there.

BOLD 2: You nailed your coffin at this point. You should have connected your jobs to this current degree. Something like " I did my NYSC and due to my passion in accounting, I taught high school students basic knowledge on bookkeeping, cashflows etc(don't lie o! Make sure it's true). Thereafter, I secured a job as an Account Manager in Bleep where I prepared annual financial records and performed several accounting functions like X, X and X".

Since your dad is financing the trip, I don't think the funding was a problem.

Also, ignore all those things they told you about applying at 7am bla bla bla. Prepare well for your visa interview and you will nail it even though you do it in the middle of the night.
please sir ma ,I studied accounting education and I want to do my master in Human Resources management also I teach student accounting and bookkeeping ,,if I’m asked why do you want to study Human Resources management,please help me I don’t know how to correlate it with each other
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ability247(m): 2:14pm On May 23, 2019
MrCuteking:
My first time

Visa denied today.
cry

Me- 3 schools

VO- Name them

Me- Yes mam I wrote GRE.

It is sad but do not feel depressed. It's just a setback like someone said. You just need to adjust your plan and give it another go. You are a naija guy, don't let minor setbacks defeat you. You should know that many have gotten their Visas after 2, 3 or more trials. Mine was on my second try. So you just need to plan well and try again. No time for self pity -- it's a useless emotion.

With that said, you should note:

1. For undergrad, you write SAT. GRE is for masters. Getting that mixed up alone would cost anyone a Visa approval.

2. Proof that naija is an English-speaking nation is a letter from your college. Proof that you can handle the language well enough to do well is TOEFL or IELTS. GRE is not a test of your command of the English language. To put it lightly, its like overkill if you say you took GRE as an undergraduate applicant just to prove you can speak English (but at the same time didn't take the SAT).

3. Talking about your undergraduate application, you should consider a Masters instead. Then the GRE would be useful. It's difficult to explain why you need a second bachelors degree to someone who's well aware of the financial burden of a college degree in his/her country. Many American students or graduates are in heavy debt due to college. And here comes someone who wants to do it twice for no good reason. Why? Go for a masters in Mechanical instead and tie it to your stint in the Mechanical Engr firm you said you are in, as the reason for your plan to obtain a Masters in Mechanical Engr. And please drop the bit about Nigerian degrees being substandard. Self-deprecating comments won't give you an advantage.

4. What kind of school will admit you for a bachelors program without asking for SAT or ACT or suchlike? And you gave the school your GRE scores for an undergraduate admission and they went ahead to give you an I-20 (or equivalent)? Are u doing this yourself or going through an agent? What exactly did the school request from you in the first place before admitting you? This part doesn't add up at all. Just be sure you are applying to a legit school else your coming here might just be a waste of money and dash of dreams. To get the most out of this thread, you need to come very very clean about everything.

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Obyknow(m): 2:16pm On May 23, 2019
Ekunsgreat:
i put teacher in what I do for a living in my DS FORM and that while I planned to be a lecturer with Human Resources management so how can I defend why this course?

I honestly have no idea,maybe others might
The role of a HRM is well utilized in an establishment,infact company

It's just like someone who studied Hotel or Estate Management saying that he/she wants to use the degree to lecture
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by bayulll011(m): 2:18pm On May 23, 2019
Amyfid12:

Thank you!!! God bless

Congratulations again.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Ekunsgreat: 2:26pm On May 23, 2019
drelicx:
My visa was denied today. How can I rescheduled for another interview. Am not changing anything on my ds160, How can I go about it?
when is your program starting if you can stil meet up
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by beejhay69: 2:35pm On May 23, 2019
Amyfid12:

Thank you for your feedback. I wrote GRE and TOEFL, no funding from the school but was told will be considered if any opportunities comes up.
PS : It's a SHE....( smiling)
Oops....my bad.@PS
May you be filled with much more SMILES cum this time tomorrow.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Jachy4real: 2:43pm On May 23, 2019

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Amyfid12: 2:43pm On May 23, 2019
beejhay69:
Oops....my bad.@PS
May you be filled with much more SMILES cum this time tomorrow.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 2:47pm On May 23, 2019
Jachy4real:
Good afternoon everyone. Please I need your advice. My visa interview soon for a PhD program and my husband and 6months old baby also applied as dependants, so we will be interviewed as a family. The reason my husband is going with me is to help me with the baby while I settle down and possibly apply in the same school for the next fall session for his PhD too. How do I prove home ties and that we don't plan to permanently emigrate from this country.
Also, I dont have work experience in my field. I completed my masters at the end of 2015 and while searching for a lecturing job, they all kept saying that I should show evidence of PhD program registration. Since I have always dreamed of doing my PhD in the US, I decided to focus on studying for GRE and applying. After my GRE in 2017, I applied to some schools but was not accepted. Got all my rejection letters by March 2018. When I found out I was pregnant, I decided to stay back home while I learn skills in web development and apply again for my PhD. And now I am nursing my baby. Now I have gotten 3 admits, 1 reject and the last one still under review. How do I explain this academic/professional gap without shooting myself on the foot.
Also, the school I decided to attend was brought to my notice by the graduate recruiting officer of the department after seeing my GRE score at ets. he asked I should explore the department which I did and then I applied to the school after seeing that the research interest of some of the faculty members closely aligns with mine. Do you think it's wise I state that as how I came to know about the school?
I have been reading through to see if anyone has a case close to mine, but I haven't seen, hence my reason for typing this.
Please gurus in the house, I look forward to your advise. Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by fabyom: 2:49pm On May 23, 2019
handoffire:
I am so happy right now.

Congratulations bro!
Well deserved!
I wish you a safe trip to Trumpsland!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Jachy4real: 3:03pm On May 23, 2019
Brown2Green:

Were you fully funded?

Yes... And it will cover for my dependants too

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (485) (486) (487) (488) (489) (490) (491) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.