Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,104 members, 7,807,322 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (535) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (792398 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (532) (533) (534) (535) (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by shogunley: 8:00am On Jun 08, 2019
Visa denied yesterday 7/6/2019, Window 5
VO: Where are you going to in US
Me: University of New Mexico, Alburqurque, NM
VO: For what purpose
Me: To pursue a doctoral degree in Statistics
VO: What will this degree do for you
Me: It will give me a better chance of getting a lecturing job here in Nigeria at my Alma mata and also will be able to conduct meaningful research.
VO: Did you write any standardized exam
Me: Yes………….. Toefl: 92, GRE 302 ( wanted to show her but she said I should not bother)
VO: Any scholarship? (she rushed to check I-20)
Me: Yes Partial scholarship
VO: ok…..so who’s paying for the remaining
Me: My uncle, Mr……
VO: (Typed for some seconds) Am sorry, you are not eligible for Visa now

Total cost: 36,512
Funding: 12,082
Deficit: 24,430

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by spamboot: 8:05am On Jun 08, 2019
Please help me rate this response

Why did you choose this school:
Because the faculty are closely engaged wit their student and it's curriculum is tailored towards a career focus education. Also the opportunity to take part in research on cyber security and forensic under Dr.....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 8:25am On Jun 08, 2019
shogunley:
Me: It will give me a better chance of getting a lecturing job here in Nigeria at my Alma mata and also will be able to conduct meaningful research.
Me: Yes………….. Toefl: 92, GRE 302 ( wanted to show her but she said I should not bother)

Deficit is much for a PhD and for an uncle to sponsor you. Try and get a fully funded PhD program. Also this uncle sponsor thing is getting rampant.

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 8:28am On Jun 08, 2019
shogunley:

Please don't go to the embassy without funding for PhD.

Statistics for that. Matter! Hot Cake.

Don't reapply . Look for safe schools that would embrace you with funding.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by shogunley: 8:50am On Jun 08, 2019
Thank you, immediately she heard uncle, her face changed, started typing and then made the statement....
Time2win:

Deficit is much for a PhD and for an uncle to sponsor you. Try and get a fully funded PhD program. Also this uncle sponsor thing is getting rampant.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dreambound(m): 9:00am On Jun 08, 2019
shogunley:

I've been to the University of New Mexico (as part of my high school robotics program last year)...Nice school...

Are you married? Kids?
I think (without enough funding) 'What would this degree do for you?' didn't show enough reason to return, (though it's a possible reason) since it's almost hard to believe that someone would return from the United States after paying over $24K per year to take up a lecturing job at a (federal?) University.
I think chances would also have been higher if you were married with kids, and if you had a closer relative sponsoring you.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 9:03am On Jun 08, 2019
shogunley:
Thank you, immediately she heard uncle, her face changed, started typing and then made the statement....

Almost everyone is using Uncle aside those that got full funding. Alot of transcripts that I reviewed recently were mostly uncles. Most V.O will frown at it if you don't impress them from the beginning.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Johnolukolade(m): 9:05am On Jun 08, 2019
shogunley:

I'm sorry about the delay. Mail your grad coordinator on Monday or your assigned supervisor and request for an assistantship position. If you're lucky enough to get one coupled with your $12k scholarship, you'll have a full funding. You should be fast and persistent about it so you can refire for Fall 19... If they don't reply you, shoot them another mail... Also, check other departments apart from yours for any openings... as a prospective PhD student, you shouldn't find it difficult to get a GA position.

Draft a convincing mail and I wish you the very best my buddy. Have a pleasant weekend.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 9:06am On Jun 08, 2019
dreambound:

I've been to the University of New Mexico (as part of my high school robotics program last year)...Nice school...

Are you married? Kids?
I think (without enough funding) 'What would this degree do for you?' didn't show enough reason to return, (though it's a possible reason) since it's almost hard to believe that someone would return from the United States after paying over $24K per year to take up a lecturing job at a (federal?) University.
I think chances would also have been higher if you were married with kids, and if you had a closer relative sponsoring you.

I don't think it's a nice idea to pursue a PhD without good funding. Also a distant uncle sponsoring you for 5yrs, period is too long for someone to do. Funding played a major role in the denial and the kind of sponsor he used.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by shogunley: 9:23am On Jun 08, 2019
Thanks
Johnolukolade:

I'm sorry about the delay. Mail your grad coordinator on Monday or your assigned supervisor and request for an assistantship position. If you're lucky enough to get one coupled with your $12k scholarship, you'll have a full funding. You should be fast and persistent about it so you can refire for Fall 19... If they don't reply you, shoot them another mail... Also, check other departments apart from yours for any openings... as a prospective PhD student, you shouldn't find it difficult to get a GA position.

Draft a convincing mail and I wish you the very best my buddy. Have a pleasant weekend.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by shogunley: 9:29am On Jun 08, 2019
Like in such mail, can I put as part of reasons that I've bn to the embassy and denied because of funding
Johnolukolade:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 9:35am On Jun 08, 2019
shogunley:
Like in such mail, can I put as part of reasons that I've bn to the embassy and denied because of funding

You can inform your department about that to see if they can assist.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by seun407: 9:38am On Jun 08, 2019
Hi guys! I noticed I didnt add my NYSC experience in my ds160. My interview is for 20th June. I filled the form 18th May. If I should update the form today, will it affect me in anyway?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 9:40am On Jun 08, 2019
seun407:
Hi guys! I noticed I didnt add my NYSC experience in my ds160. My interview is for 20th June. I filled the form 18th May. If I should update the form today, will it affect me in anyway?

Nope, it won't affect you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 9:48am On Jun 08, 2019
Once Deficits starts climbing $20k , chances of my Uncle and my Aunty funding me to work out is very low.

Direct relatives is preferred.
Dad (perfect)
Mom (perfect)

Sibling is shaky.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Leoney: 10:14am On Jun 08, 2019
Hello everyone,
My visa was approved on May 24th at Abuja, sorry it took long to come back and give thanks to everyone in this group, work has been tight and I only just collected my passport yesterday (not an excuse though). Thank you all for your wonderful contributions to this thread and also @Time2win for the mock interview a day before the interview, your drills were just what I needed to put my mind at ease, even asking questions that up until that moment I had not anticipated.

The interview was very, very brief. To provide a context of how short it was, I had my interview after @Amyfid12 and her interview went exactly as she described, I thought she was very articulate and spoke really well, but she was stopped right after she said Aunty. After her interview she was just outside the interview door arranging her documents when I met up with her, and we walked out together. I genuinely felt for her, I just think the lack of assistantship was the issue.

To the interview proper.

Me: Good morning (she did not smile or really look up)

VO: Pass me your passport (I did), I-20 too (I did also)

VO: Why this University?

Me: This university is unique to me for several reasons. Firstly, it is a research active institution and the research of Prof. Madsen who is a pioneer of sorts in geophysics also attracted me to the institution. Secondly, (VO cuts in)

VO: I see you have full funding from the university.

Me: Yes, I do

VO: Congratulations, your visa has been approved blah, blah blah.

So, thank you all for your continuous contributions to this thread.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Time2win(m): 10:24am On Jun 08, 2019
Leoney:
Hello everyone,
My visa was approved on May 24th at Abuja, sorry it took long to come back and give thanks to everyone in this group, work has been tight and I only just collected my passport yesterday (not an excuse though). Thank you all for your wonderful contributions to this thread and also @Time2win for the mock interview a day before the interview, your drills were just what I needed to put my mind at ease, even asking questions that up until that moment I had not anticipated.

The interview was very, very brief. To provide a context of how short it was, I had my interview after @Amyfid12 and her interview went exactly as she described, I thought she was very articulate and spoke really well, but she was stopped right after she said Aunty. After her interview she was just outside the interview door arranging her documents when I met up with her, and we walked out together. I genuinely felt for her, I just think the lack of assistantship was the issue.

To the interview proper.

Me: This university is unique to me for several reasons. Firstly, it is a research active institution and the research of Prof. Madsen who is a pioneer of sorts in geophysics also attracted me to the institution. Secondly, (VO cuts in)

Congratulations! One thing i noticed about Abuja embassy, if you have full funding, they don't drill students unlike Lagos embassy.

9 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by martinz1: 10:34am On Jun 08, 2019
martinz1:
What are the things to take to embassy for f1 interview,
My sponsor is in the u.s
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sharwama(f): 10:40am On Jun 08, 2019
Leoney:
Hello everyone,

To the interview proper.

Congratulations child of God grin gringrin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by seun407: 10:44am On Jun 08, 2019
Ok. Thanks

Time2win:

Nope, it won't affect you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sharwama(f): 10:48am On Jun 08, 2019
spamboot:
Please help me rate this response

Why did you choose this school:
Because the faculty are closely engaged wit their student and it's curriculum is tailored towards a career focus education. Also the opportunity to take part in research on cyber security and forensic under Dr.....
I kinda think it's boring, it's mundane, it's not impressive, it lacks enthusiasm, it doesn't make much sense, it proves you didn't do your homework, it reveals a deliberate attempt to invoke boredom on an innocent VO. I'm sorry I couldn't find better adjectives.
What can you do to make this response better? That's easy.
Ask yourself what made you like the school, what's so unique about it, what makes it stand out for you, what do they have that others schools don't seem to have, what can they do for YOU that another school probably can't, why would you want to spend at least two years of your life in such a place and why won't you rather go to another school but this one.
Go to their website, and even your program page. I am sure you will find highly befitting and unique answers that would probably make the VO listen with rapt attention. If the VO needs to be bored, they know where to find boredom and it shoudn't be from you gringringrin
May the force be with you!

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Leoney: 11:07am On Jun 08, 2019
Time2win:

Congratulations! One thing i noticed about Abuja embassy, if you have full funding, they don't drill students unlike Lagos embassy.

Thanks!!! I'm grateful for your help.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Leoney: 11:07am On Jun 08, 2019
sharwama:

Congratulations child of God grin gringrin

grin grin Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Johnolukolade(m): 11:14am On Jun 08, 2019
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Brown2Green(m): 11:20am On Jun 08, 2019
Leoney:
Hello everyone,

To the interview proper.

You went to the Interview with grace and full funding.
Congrats

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Amyfid12: 11:40am On Jun 08, 2019
Leoney:
Hello everyone,

To the interview proper.

I'm happy for you dear, once again congratulations.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by piro2rule: 11:50am On Jun 08, 2019
Greetings house,

pls i need a list of documents i should carry along with me to the embassy. i dont want to miss out anyone. thanks all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dreambound(m): 12:02pm On Jun 08, 2019
piro2rule:
Greetings house,

pls i need a list of documents i should carry along with me to the embassy. i dont want to miss out anyone. thanks all.
Passport
Passport Photo (2" * 2)
I20
Visa fee receipt
Sevis fee receipt
DS160 Confirmation
Appointment Confirmation

Supporting Docs...Not required and most would not be asked...most important are bank statements and Standardized test scores if any

Admission letter, Scholarship Award letter, bank statement, birth cert (that may show proof of relationship to your declared parents), Undergraduate/WAEC cert, Standardized test scores...e.t.c

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by sharwama(f): 12:10pm On Jun 08, 2019
piro2rule:
Greetings house,

I have attached screenshots for you. Please let me know if you require additional information. I wish you well my friend grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by martinz1: 12:11pm On Jun 08, 2019
What are the things to take to embassy for f1 interview,
My sponsor is in the u.s

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by dwilliams707: 12:25pm On Jun 08, 2019
Please can I schedule an appointment before i submit my ds-160?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by martinz1: 12:41pm On Jun 08, 2019
dwilliams707:
Please can I schedule an appointment before i submit my ds-160?
No, you submit before schedule

(1) (2) (3) ... (532) (533) (534) (535) (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.