Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,771 members, 7,802,360 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 - Travel (62) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 (791150 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (536) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Taofeeq2510: 10:49pm On Sep 23, 2018
Timotee:

When you get to the school and have done the necessary orientation, you then register for your courses. Your tuition is based on how many credit hours you register for (typically 9 credit hours for international graduate students). It's at this point that you pay your fees. Note that tuition and fees are expected to be paid irrespective of whether you get a job or not. You do not pay your fees while still in Nigeria.

Thanks bro you help me a lot I thought I need to have all the fee before I can start with the processing
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by hansmond93: 11:00pm On Sep 23, 2018
Hello all. Please I need someone that can go through my personal statement and probably correct it. Am applying for an Msc in Computer Science. Thank u.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Rytefish: 11:24pm On Sep 23, 2018
ritlala:
Hello everybody, please help me access my mock transcript, my interview is next week, this is my second attempt, I will appreciate if I can get corrections and contributions from the house. Thank you all. Please remember me in your prayers as I go next week for my interview.

VO: Good morning.

Me: Good morning.

VO: passport and I20

(I passed it)

VO: So I see you’re going to Westcliff University in Irvine

Me: that’s correct. Irvine, California

VO: what program are you going there for?

Me: Master of Business Administration with a concentration in International Business

VO: So where did you first learn about this school.

Me: I first saw it on a former schoolmate’s profile on LinkedIn, he then told me many good things about the school, He did his MBA there. I went further to do a personal online research on the school, I checked college review and the school’s website and I liked what I saw with regard to their College of Business.

VO: So did you choose any other school apart from this?

Me: yes! Park University, Parkville Missouri, Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, California and Westcliff.

VO: so were you accepted into all 3?

Me: I was accepted by Westcliff and Claremont.

VO: so why choose this school?

Me: Westcliff has the right combination of disciplines and courses. Here’s what I mean: Unlike Park University that has international business as a separate department from MBA, giving me a bit of dilemma, westcliff combines the two. So I get to have a background training in specialized functions as finance, marketing and Human Resources and still get a full doze of my concentration in International business.

Also westcliff business management philosophy looks beyond the tradition perceptions of economics, and instead espouses management as a human enterprise and liberal arts, focusing on social theory, history and sustainability. This is a much easier way of learning a course, as it adds some creativity and less technical jargons

VO: so what kind of school is this?

Me: It is a private university, regionally accredited, and offers programs towards business or education, their student demography tends to be professionals

VO: what’s your schedule for this program?

Me: so it’s a 36 credit program spanning two years. 27 credits in courses such as organizational behavior, organizational leadership, managerial accounting, financial management, marketing management, strategic management in globalized economy, managerial economics, applied methods capstone and managing information systems technology. 9 credits for my area of concentration in int’l business

VO: when did you finish your first degree?

Me: 2011, although the session was officially 2009/2010, the semester dragged into the first quarter of 2011.

VO: So what have you been doing since you graduated?

Me: Since after my NYSC in 2012, I have worked as a banker and Since 2015 till date I have been with xyz bank as head abc unit in one of the branches where I’m responsible for the cashflow of the branch, supervise a team of tellers who are in charge of “this this this and that”, I also supervise the tellers in charge of foreign exchange for customers who do int’l trade, PTA, BTA and international money remittances. On the side, personally I also partly function as a consultant for my uncle’s Bureau de Change company.

VO: So what will this degree do for you?

Me: Apart from the strategic business knowledge I will be gaining, this degree places me on the right pedestal to take up an upper managerial role in the bank’s International Business department, a dept and role I’ve in principle been earmarked for, but the bank feels this degree is so appropriate. I will also be better equipped with the needed knowledge to start up my own business in financial services consulting and foreign exchange in due time.

VO: who will be paying for this program?

Me: My uncle for whom I partly work will, I also have savings of my own and a certain percentage of scholarship granted me by the school

VO: can I have documents for that. ( hand her my statement, uncle’s and scholarship letter)

Me: (while she is going through the SOAs) my statement is a money market account statement, I decided using that because of the high interest rate as a against the regular savings account, but I have a letter of introduction here from the bank stating that it could be liquidated at anytime.

VO: why would your uncle wanna pay for you?

Me: Apart from being like a foster father and very much involved in my education, he’s very impressed with my work and loyalty and is interested in how this degree would impart to both me and his business

VO: what does he do?

Me: Primarily he owns a bureau de change company like I said and also imports and sells building materials such as tiles and marbles

VO: So what was your first degree

Me: English and Literature.

VO: And why are you going for a totally different one from your first degree?

Me: (smiling] even though my first degree was in the arts I have worked all my post first degree life as a banker and all I’ve been doing is finance, marketing, managerial accounting organization leadership. Going to do a course now in English or literature doesn’t actually help my career. This MBA does and enhances it

VO: so how often will you attend classes in a week at Westcliff.

Me: while classes are weekly the MBA program is a very rigorous one as assignments are due multiple times a week. I would also have many projects and presentations due every other week.
I also get to occupy my time with participating in the on-campus organizations (hiking club, peer mentors, and more). The school also now has 5 athletic programs and encourage students to attend games to be involved with the Westcliff community.

Well done, you must have put a lot of energy together to come up with this professional response, but I need to be candid, you sound too professional and overly prepared, haba, as much as we need to use some obscure terms to sound professional, we should know there are limits to which we can present our professionalism,as these VOs can easily detect and discern when we are overly prepared. Try to use some simple and lay man terms.

Also, when asked about the name of the school, don't very correct, or what wa that statement you made when VO mentioned the school name, I am not contended with your response to the VO.

Likewise, I have issue with the fact that uncle is into Bereau de change and also sells tiles and the likes, what if this is where you need a more professional title for your uncle?

I also have issues with this response, while classes are weekly the MBA program is a very rigorous one as assignments are due multiple times a week , how did you know the program is very rigorous, at least. you said your friend was an alumni, so how come you know the kinds of assignments, you never mentioned that you are have been in touch with any current student....you need to work on all I mentioned while awaiting other responses from gurus in the house.

Success....I am still waiting for my admission from three schools before I apply for my visa.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by aao17ep: 7:23am On Sep 24, 2018
Goodmorning Guys. Please i urgently need this information. I reside in the US and i am trying to invite some people over for an event. The rumour i am hearing is that there are no appointment dates left in 2018 at any of the US embassy in Nigeria. Please how true is that?

Your answer will be very helpful

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by naijatisumi: 9:29am On Sep 24, 2018
So true till like Febuary
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Phatkayconcept: 10:28am On Sep 24, 2018
ritlala:
Hello everybody, please help me access my mock transcript, my interview is next week, this is my second attempt, I will appreciate if I can get corrections and contributions from the house. Thank you all. Please remember me in your prayers as I go next week for my interview.

VO: Good morning.

Me: Good morning.

VO: passport and I20

(I passed it)

VO: So I see you’re going to Westcliff University in Irvine

Me: that’s correct. Irvine, California

VO: what program are you going there for?

Me: Master of Business Administration with a concentration in International Business

VO: So where did you first learn about this school.

Me: I first saw it on a former schoolmate’s profile on LinkedIn, he then told me many good things about the school, He did his MBA there. I went further to do a personal online research on the school, I checked college review and the school’s website and I liked what I saw with regard to their College of Business.

VO: So did you choose any other school apart from this?

Me: yes! Park University, Parkville Missouri, Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, California and Westcliff.

VO: so were you accepted into all 3?

Me: I was accepted by Westcliff and Claremont.

VO: so why choose this school?

Me: Westcliff has the right combination of disciplines and courses. Here’s what I mean: Unlike Park University that has international business as a separate department from MBA, giving me a bit of dilemma, westcliff combines the two. So I get to have a background training in specialized functions as finance, marketing and Human Resources and still get a full doze of my concentration in International business.

Also westcliff business management philosophy looks beyond the tradition perceptions of economics, and instead espouses management as a human enterprise and liberal arts, focusing on social theory, history and sustainability. This is a much easier way of learning a course, as it adds some creativity and less technical jargons

VO: so what kind of school is this?

Me: It is a private university, regionally accredited, and offers programs towards business or education, their student demography tends to be professionals

VO: what’s your schedule for this program?

Me: so it’s a 36 credit program spanning two years. 27 credits in courses such as organizational behavior, organizational leadership, managerial accounting, financial management, marketing management, strategic management in globalized economy, managerial economics, applied methods capstone and managing information systems technology. 9 credits for my area of concentration in int’l business

VO: when did you finish your first degree?

Me: 2011, although the session was officially 2009/2010, the semester dragged into the first quarter of 2011.

VO: So what have you been doing since you graduated?

Me: Since after my NYSC in 2012, I have worked as a banker and Since 2015 till date I have been with xyz bank as head abc unit in one of the branches where I’m responsible for the cashflow of the branch, supervise a team of tellers who are in charge of “this this this and that”, I also supervise the tellers in charge of foreign exchange for customers who do int’l trade, PTA, BTA and international money remittances. On the side, personally I also partly function as a consultant for my uncle’s Bureau de Change company.

VO: So what will this degree do for you?

Me: Apart from the strategic business knowledge I will be gaining, this degree places me on the right pedestal to take up an upper managerial role in the bank’s International Business department, a dept and role I’ve in principle been earmarked for, but the bank feels this degree is so appropriate. I will also be better equipped with the needed knowledge to start up my own business in financial services consulting and foreign exchange in due time.

VO: who will be paying for this program?

Me: My uncle for whom I partly work will, I also have savings of my own and a certain percentage of scholarship granted me by the school

VO: can I have documents for that. ( hand her my statement, uncle’s and scholarship letter)

Me: (while she is going through the SOAs) my statement is a money market account statement, I decided using that because of the high interest rate as a against the regular savings account, but I have a letter of introduction here from the bank stating that it could be liquidated at anytime.

VO: why would your uncle wanna pay for you?

Me: Apart from being like a foster father and very much involved in my education, he’s very impressed with my work and loyalty and is interested in how this degree would impart to both me and his business

VO: what does he do?

Me: Primarily he owns a bureau de change company like I said and also imports and sells building materials such as tiles and marbles

VO: So what was your first degree

Me: English and Literature.

VO: And why are you going for a totally different one from your first degree?

Me: (smiling] even though my first degree was in the arts I have worked all my post first degree life as a banker and all I’ve been doing is finance, marketing, managerial accounting organization leadership. Going to do a course now in English or literature doesn’t actually help my career. This MBA does and enhances it

VO: so how often will you attend classes in a week at Westcliff.

Me: while classes are weekly the MBA program is a very rigorous one as assignments are due multiple times a week. I would also have many projects and presentations due every other week.
I also get to occupy my time with participating in the on-campus organizations (hiking club, peer mentors, and more). The school also now has 5 athletic programs and encourage students to attend games to be involved with the Westcliff community.

Well-done for the effort. With respect to what I have learnt in this forum, I think you are missing a very important details: home ties!
Going through all your response, you didn't make mention your coming back yo Nigeria. I think you should shufle your response and provide attention statement as to why the degree will help you on returning back to Nigeria upon successful completion.
Just my unprofessional advice, goodluck!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Phatkayconcept: 10:30am On Sep 24, 2018
Rytefish:

Well done, you must have put a lot of energy together to come up with this professional response, but I need to be candid, you sound too professional and overly prepared, haba, as much as we need to use some obscure terms to sound professional, we should know there are limits to which we can present our professionalism,as these VOs can easily detect and discern when we are overly prepared. Try to use some simple and lay man terms.

Also, when asked about the name of the school, don't very correct, or what wa that statement you made when VO mentioned the school name, I am not contended with your response to the VO.

Likewise, I have issue with the fact that uncle is into Bereau de change and also sells tiles and the likes, what if this is where you need a more professional title for your uncle?

I also have issues with this response, while classes are weekly the MBA program is a very rigorous one as assignments are due multiple times a week , how did you know the program is very rigorous, at least. you said your friend was an alumni, so how come you know the kinds of assignments, you never mentioned that you are have been in touch with any current student....you need to work on all I mentioned while awaiting other responses from gurus in the house.

Success....I am still waiting for my admission from three schools before I apply for my visa.

I wish you resounding testimony soon.

Please which schools did you apply to. I applied to just one university and I am looking forward to apply to at least one more. Please share with me so i can follow it up. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Freelancer247: 11:02am On Sep 24, 2018
Good morning friends, I wish to know if it's advisable (in terms of convincing VO) to change from science to management studies for Master's degree.
This is because I currently have a uni that promise grants and scholarships in M.S Operations and Projects mgt.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by PstTobi: 11:52am On Sep 24, 2018
Someone should please respond to me, have been so much disturbed. I CAN'T HELP MYSELF. THANKS AND GOD BLESS YOU AS YOU DO.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ritlala: 12:06pm On Sep 24, 2018
Phatkayconcept:

Well-done for the effort. With respect to what I have learnt in this forum, I think you are missing a very important details: home ties!
Going through all your response, you didn't make mention your coming back yo Nigeria. I think you should shufle your response and provide attention statement as to why the degree will help you on returning back to Nigeria upon successful completion.
Just my unprofessional advice, goodluck!

Thank you for this very important observation. I will adjust my answer.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by ritlala: 12:07pm On Sep 24, 2018
Rytefish:

Thank you, I will do as advised.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Emusan(m): 12:35pm On Sep 24, 2018
Please house, can another type of visa be given to study in US apart from F-1 or J-1?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by kfrosh: 2:04pm On Sep 24, 2018
Get your i20 from your school (Texas a&m)

Pay your Sevis fee

Pay your visa fee at GTbank

Book for your visa appointment date

Get your Sponsor's statement of account and any other supporting document you think might be necessary.

Prepare for the interview as if your life depends on

Get your visa

Book your flight

WELCOME TO AMERICA grin

abcasap:
Please I'm new on this thread and I need anyone who's willing to help me out.

I just got an admission into Texas A&M International University. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm new here. So I would like someone to give me heads up on what to do next.

Here's my email address Maduemechukwuebuka@gmail.com.

Here's my number 07036367160.

Please I really need u guys help and assistance.

Thanks.

Now before doing all those thing up there, boya you should sharply read the part 13 of this thread, page 1 to the end.
You should be fine after doing this.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Walspring: 2:21pm On Sep 24, 2018
ezychris:

Thanks bro, I need to contact you, I already sent a dm

I replied you and i didn't get your response.

Others who sent me pm, check your junk if you didn't get it in your inbox
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Walspring: 2:23pm On Sep 24, 2018
Emusan:
Please house, can another type of visa be given to study in US apart from F-1 or J-1?

You can get M1 but it's for vocational and technical students
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Walspring: 2:25pm On Sep 24, 2018
aao17ep:
Goodmorning Guys. Please i urgently need this information. I reside in the US and i am trying to invite some people over for an event. The rumour i am hearing is that there are no appointment dates left in 2018 at any of the US embassy in Nigeria. Please how true is that?

Your answer will be very helpful

Thanks

Yes it's true, Visiting visa you need to apply like 6 months ahead or request for emergency date if they meet requirements for it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Walspring: 2:27pm On Sep 24, 2018
If you need help on sevis fee payment, Just send me a message
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by abcasap(m): 2:33pm On Sep 24, 2018
Thanks a lot
kfrosh:
Get your i20 from your school (Texas a&m)

Pay your Sevis fee

Pay your visa fee at GTbank

Book for your visa appointment date

Get your Sponsor's statement of account and any other supporting document you think might be necessary.

Prepare for the interview as if your life depends on

Get your visa

Book your flight

WELCOME TO AMERICA grin

Now before doing all those thing up there, boya you should sharply read the part 13 of this thread, page 1 to the end.
You should be fine after doing this.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 24, 2018
PstTobi:
I studied applied geophysics in Futa and I graduated with 2.5gpa, please what could be the wes conversion and can I be admitted for Master's degree. Am 23 years old is it advisable for me to apply for undergraduate degree in applied geophysics. Thanks

Cc: @timotee @lagosismyhome @femi312 @all
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Emusan(m): 3:09pm On Sep 24, 2018
Walspring:

You can get M1 but it's for vocational and technical students
Oh thanks very much
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Spotlighte: 4:19pm On Sep 24, 2018
PstTobi:
Someone should please respond to me, have been so much disturbed. I CAN'T HELP MYSELF. THANKS AND GOD BLESS YOU AS YOU DO.
Help you with what?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by homirefacuny(m): 4:31pm On Sep 24, 2018
PstTobi:
I studied applied geophysics in Futa and I graduated with 2.5gpa, please what could be the wes conversion and can I be admitted for Master's degree. Am 23 years old is it advisable for me to apply for undergraduate degree in applied geophysics. Thanks

Go to Wes.org and use their GPA calculator. It's free. Once you get this, some graduate school programs require at least a GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 US scale for admission apart from GRE, SOPs and LORs o. So look for a range of schools that can accept your GPA. You will be fine.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Rytefish: 5:53pm On Sep 24, 2018
Phatkayconcept:

I wish you resounding testimony soon.

Please which schools did you apply to. I applied to just one university and I am looking forward to apply to at least one more. Please share with me so i can follow it up. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Rytefish: 5:59pm On Sep 24, 2018
Freelancer247:
Good morning friends, I wish to know if it's advisable (in terms of convincing VO) to change from science to management studies for Master's degree.
This is because I currently have a uni that promise grants and scholarships in M.S Operations and Projects mgt.

Anything is possible, it's even more convincing if you get scholarship from the school, it shows you are a promising candidate in Management science, and the way you put up your SOP to convince the faculty which earned you a scholarship is the same setup you will place on the table for the VO.

Right now, your scholarship is your joker to win at the interview, provided you can convince him with how you have been working tirelessly as a project management officer.

Success is my wish for us.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Senatorbee(m): 7:32pm On Sep 24, 2018
Just used the free WES cgpa calculator now my Nigeria 3.79/5 cgpa came out 3.30/4 pls can these cgpa be considered for full funding
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Macaulay10(m): 8:22pm On Sep 24, 2018
Freelancer247:
That's a nice course..... May I know the name of the school?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by abcasap(m): 9:59pm On Sep 24, 2018
I want to add to the earlier post I made and I'd appreciate anyone that could help me with an honest and helpful advise.

I studied Animal science in Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike.
Graduated '15.
Finished nysc 2017.
Got a job with xyz Bank this ' 18 (still working there).

I then applied for a BSc in Biology at Texas A&M International University and got it.

Here's my question;
- what question(s) am I to expect from the VO? And also, what answer(s) can I give to the VO?

Please I really need a helpful response from anyone who's ready to give one.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 24, 2018
Please house,,Am new in this thread...i need your advice
Am going for an interview next month...i was admitted into a community college in Illinois for an associate degree in business administration and management... I already have B.Agric in Agricultural Economics in a Nigeria University...Graduated in 2016...Done with the national service 2018. My sponsor(uncle) want me to start afresh because he's staying very close to the college ..Kindly advice me on what to do...And what are the likely interview questions for me
You can also advice me through:
Teejaybashman@gmail.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by homirefacuny(m): 11:25pm On Sep 24, 2018
Senatorbee:
Just used the free WES cgpa calculator now my Nigeria 3.79/5 cgpa came out 3.30/4 pls can these cgpa be considered for full funding

Depends on school!!! GPA is not only the criteria for scholarships in most schools in the US.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by YoungIncredible: 6:54am On Sep 25, 2018
Hello guys. Please can anyone help me with any cheapest hotel close to Abuja embassy pleaseeeeee.

I'm very low on budget and I can't afford Sheraton.

I will be visiting Abuja for the first time, which of the parks will I stop at?, and how to get to the "cheap hotel"

Edakun.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 25, 2018
Please help. A friend applied for mba at California Miramar University having two diplomas (lower credit) and a HND (upper) was denied admission because her GPA is not equivalent to USA decree. Please which other school can she apply to and what does she needs to do to burst her GPA.
Please any one with GRE materials should assist. Plssss. Email: blessinggupar@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (536)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.