Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:43 AM

How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? (13598 Views)

Useful Tips On How To Groom A Horse / 7 Things All Parents Should Know Before Enrolling A Child In Nigerian Schools / More On Kim Ung- Yong, The Man Who Scored Highest Ever On An IQ Test As A Child. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by ednut1(m): 9:44am On Aug 13, 2018
If they are not brilliant .they shud stay away from medical line

2 Likes

Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Bitterleafsoup: 9:44am On Aug 13, 2018
So many people in the medical field doing a terrible job because that job is a calling.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by OhiOfIhima: 9:49am On Aug 13, 2018
Cumtroller:
Your kids will never be doctors. Sad truth is they won’t turn out to be anything great in life - just like their father.

What kind of shiit did u put up there... Are you for real. WTF
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Rachelose(f): 9:50am On Aug 13, 2018
grin U R MEAN
36pripa:
Buy them stethoscopes and possibly allow them play with cadavers. grin grin grin
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by 2odd(m): 9:51am On Aug 13, 2018
Op, I will advise you to let them b ,que sera sera, just nurture them watch Dem excel in their chosen profession.
A typical xample was a lecturer of mine whose parents want him to study architecture which he did, afterwards he went back to school n study computer science , which he really wants to do.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by sleemzy96(f): 9:57am On Aug 13, 2018
Instead of you to study the child and know his or her passion, you want him/her to be a doctor. Issokay, you will be surprised when the child starts rebelling if he / she doesn't want to be a doctor.

My jamb form was filled for me to study medicine. I deliberately failed my post utme. I was sent to pre degree but i changed my course there. I'm now in the tech industry, and i am glad i am. It is fun when one does what one has passion for. There is this fulfilment and peace of mind.

Well, the ball is in your court.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by samuel247: 9:57am On Aug 13, 2018
give them sound/quality education at primary and secondary school,arrange extra moral class for them and pray for them always
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Rachelose(f): 9:59am On Aug 13, 2018
Am a single mum, i discussed with my girl from her primary school about my love for science subjects and medicine as a profession (even tho maths still makes me cringe, so i jejely went to art). i noticed she's good with the science subjects and she wanted to become a nurse. when i discussed further wit her, i noticed she was just scared of medicine thats y shes settling for nursing...i encouraged her towards medicine..i buy books for her. Shes in ss2 now and doing fine. I believe she'll make it a Medical student. Pls i did not [b]pressurize [/b]her. i only encouraged her towards a bigger dream. grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Taiwo20(m): 9:59am On Aug 13, 2018
sound ifa for them and thank me later
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by babadee1(m): 10:00am On Aug 13, 2018
jefy:
Hello Friends,

Am sure you all are having a great time today? I,d always wanted my kids to gradually grow into the medical profession. I guess it does no harm to dream..lolz. Every parent always strive for a particular direction for their kids, some turn out what their parents dream and work for,others follow a different path...

In this discuss, I solicite contributions, info, suggestions, advice and professional view points on the subject matter.

( in summary, i want my kids to be doctors, from their early educational stage, how do i begin to groom them towards this direction) Note: i will in no way stop them towards their dreams if it's in the right path. Am just thinking aloud and trying to look ahead.

Thanks for your contributions.

My advice is this. Kill your selfish dream and don't ever give your kids any hint that you have a preferred path for their lives. Take it from someone who knows first hand, this your dream will turn into a nightmare for your children if you don't get rid of it.

1 Like

Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 13, 2018
Lol.
Please don't.
Medical school is depressing.
It is not also for the very intelligent.

Moreover, allow them to choose what they want in their life na.

1 Like

Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Nobody: 10:03am On Aug 13, 2018
Don't force them to be what they don't intend to be, destiny differs. Try not to impose medical profession on them. They can still be proficient in other areas.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Sultty(m): 10:03am On Aug 13, 2018
jefy:
Hello Friends,

Am sure you all are having a great time today? I,d always wanted my kids to gradually grow into the medical profession. I guess it does no harm to dream..lolz. Every parent always strive for a particular direction for their kids, some turn out what their parents dream and work for,others follow a different path...

In this discuss, I solicite contributions, info, suggestions, advice and professional view points on the subject matter.

( in summary, i want my kids to be doctors, from their early educational stage, how do i begin to groom them towards this direction) Note: i will in no way stop them towards their dreams if it's in the right path. Am just thinking aloud and trying to look ahead.

Stop dreaming and face reality. U so much remind me of my dad yuck sad it's not by force to be a doctor
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by divinelove(m): 10:10am On Aug 13, 2018
jefy:
Hello Friends,

groom them to discover their passion, talents and be fulfilled in life. they may want to be musicians, pilots n fashion designers. stop being stupid.

This desire to make every student a lawyer or doctor is stale thinking
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 13, 2018
czarina:
I dunno sha, but my neighbor who is doctor sometimes wonder if it's worth it. Yes, a noble profession but he says he'd have affected more people if he had been more business savvy and had the money pouring in. That way, instead of hoping to contribute to as an individual, he could buy the services of the professionals. Sounds simplistic but I think it's the truth. Why spend 8 - 9yrs at the University to end up with a shitty pay(I feel so sorry for many young doctors based in Nigeria).
Do you know how much they'd rake in if the had learnt or practiced something profitable in those years they spent in school? They would have the financial ability to help more people since most in their early years go into it for humanistic ideals.

That said sha, some people have to be the doctors or else, who will be paid by the "real money makers" to undertake charitable courses ?

All the best to your kids.
Your friend went into the career with the wrong or distorted impression. It's true that medicine may not be as rewarding as many other career paths but that's the mistake many folks made hoping to 'make it big' once they become doctors.
If the goal is for humanity, there are many more non-medics out there, influencing lives via NGOs and all what not. People should look deep and hard before making career decisions.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by ireneidiva(f): 10:41am On Aug 13, 2018
jefy:
Hello Friends,

Why didn't you study medicine?

1 Like

Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by ayotukanmi(f): 10:43am On Aug 13, 2018
First where do the interest of those children lie, you can't just direct them to the medical field like that,
Do they care for people enough? or do they like wires?
If they are not the type that care for people, or feel people pains then I don't think they are needed in the medical field. We need people that care in thr medical profession Now.
If they have passion for wires and all then you are directly them in the wrong path.
If you sure they have the love to help people and make people happy, To eradicate their pains. Then you can help them. Surround them with things that will increase their love and admiration for medicine and the act and make sure they work towards it as regards education.
Hope this helps
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Nobody: 10:53am On Aug 13, 2018
jefy:
Hello Friends,

I'm glad you think about the future of your offspring. Whilst it's wonderful to have a doctor as a child, it's important you don't interfere too much in this process and let the decision be their own. If I was allowed to follow my dreams and not my father's, I know I wouldn't be where I am now.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by kokomaster3d: 10:55am On Aug 13, 2018
jefy:
Hello Friends,

Dont force your child into what he/she is not born to be. Discover their talent and help them build their dream.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Ugosample(m): 11:12am On Aug 13, 2018
Cumtroller:
Your kids will never be doctors. Sad truth is they won’t turn out to be anything great in life - just like their father.

This one is an unfortunate soul undecided

nonsense post
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Ugosample(m): 11:13am On Aug 13, 2018
Earthbound:

I'm glad you think about the future of your offspring. Whilst it's wonderful to have a doctor as a child, it's important you don't interfere too much in this process and let the decision be their own. If I was allowed to follow my dreams and not my father's, I know I wouldn't be where I am now.

sorry about that undecided
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by MsGood(f): 11:13am On Aug 13, 2018
Groom them to become morally upright and let them choose their professons with your help. Don't impose anything on them.

1 Like

Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by dokkyelele(f): 11:13am On Aug 13, 2018
jefy:
noted,thanks

It’s easy and I have the trick.....
If u are ready m....let’s talk
It’s a key I can’t share online
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Ugosample(m): 11:14am On Aug 13, 2018
ednut1:
If they are not brilliant .they shud stay away from medical line

it's not brilliance

it's interest and endurance more than brilliance

1 Like

Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by GogetterMD(m): 11:16am On Aug 13, 2018
jefy:
Hello Friends,

Please don't do that. Medicine is a trap!
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by dokkyelele(f): 11:23am On Aug 13, 2018
Cumtroller:

That’s too hash.....
You can just don’t comment

How will u feel if someone said that to you.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Christie171(f): 11:27am On Aug 13, 2018
Cumtroller:
sadist undecided
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Juliearth(f): 11:59am On Aug 13, 2018
jefy:
Hello Friends,

Since they are still young,guiding them towards the medical career is totally in place. Buy them toys(faux injections, stethoscope, etc) ,books,costumes that pertain to the medical career, let them watch programmes on TV like the Doctors and Co... And feed them right so their brains can develope to meet up the challenges of being in the sciences(taking into cognaissance that nutrition plays a major role in brain development) All the best.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Opey4luv(m): 12:10pm On Aug 13, 2018
Buy Ben Carson's novels for them to read.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Toxay(m): 12:22pm On Aug 13, 2018
Based on personal experience,i would not advise anyone to pursue studying medicine except such a person is sure the interest in the course is totally out of personal preference rather than societal pressures and stereotypes

Unfortunately,most doctors are in the profession simply bcoz society has made them feel that since they are brilliant,medical school is the next step after secondary school.

Most doctors and medical students I know, including myself have at certain point questioned,if not regretted the decision we took when we were quite ignorant.

I advise you do not actively or even passively influence the choice of study of your children rather you teach them he essence of Hardwork,the importance of pursuing excellence in life irrespective of what they choose to do
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by hollowpot15684(m): 12:23pm On Aug 13, 2018
jefy:
Hello Friends,

Tell them Doctors are heros. grin
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by ImaIma1(f): 1:11pm On Aug 13, 2018
[quvote author=ikbnice post=70223023]why dont you allow your child grow and discover his strength. He may be a rapper like megabyte, a footballer, an artist or just anything that comes naturally to him. You should have watched the Indian film titled 'three idiots'.[/quote]
0v
Lovely movie.

Parents fail in this area. They keep pushing their children and trying to live their lives through their children and using their children to correct some mistakes they made in their own lives.

What we should do as parents is to create a wide space for our children to explore and develop natural gifts and talents.

They will excel better rather than when we try to treat them like zombies.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

WAEC Releases 2021 WASSCE Results for Private candidates / National Library Building To Be Completed At 50 Billion Naira / 2019 UTME: Don't Expect Result Earlier Than Wednesday - JAMB Tells Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.