Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,072 members, 7,807,216 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:11 AM

How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? (49041 Views)

How Much Should I Expect To Pay To Replace An Alternator On 2012 Toyota Avensis / Dad Forced To Pay ₦3.6m After 3-Year Old Daughter Scratched 10 Brand New Audis / I Want To Buy A Small Bus From Ladipo What Documents Do I Expect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by radautoworks: 9:00pm On Aug 12, 2018
This is a legitimate question customers have. Hold on to your hat because it's about to get contentious!

THE ANSWER IS SIMPLE.

There are Auto shop software that dictate how long every single job on a car should take. Every dealer has it even if they choose to ignore it. It is referred to as the "book". If the "book" says 20 hours and they take 40 hours, they can only collect 20 hours.

Conversely, if the "book" says 20 hours and they are really good and take 16, you still owe them 20 hours.

The book bases time on a "good " or "B" technician not even an "A" so there is no reason why techs should be going over the allotted time consistently. If a tech can't beat book time without making mistakes, they can't work for Mr Transmission-Milex.

The most popular book is Alldata, followed by Mitchell. There are others of course but they are all pretty much the same as far as labor hours.

While it's called a book, it's actually software or online. You can buy a subscription if it's worth it to you from any of them but the subscriptions usually run anywhere from $100-200 a month. Alternatively, you can simply ask us and we'll tell you.

In an extreme case where there may be rusty bolts or Kazeemization, your tech may be allowed a few more hours of labor but we have never asked for it.

As a guideline for you, our labor rate is N5,000 an hour meaning a typical oil change would be around N2,500 and brakes would be around N7,500 in labor per set.

THERE IS AN EXCEPTION TO THIS

Electrical diagnosis is charged in half-hour increments at a rate of N6,500 and capped at five hours maximum. If we can't tell you what is wrong with your car in five hours of electrical diagnosis, we stop.

SO, what repair do you want to know about? Tell us year, make, model, engine size, drive type and repair being done and we'll tell you how much to expect to pay for repair!

3 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by ivoryhouse(m): 12:32am On Aug 13, 2018
Motor Oil change for 2006 jeep commander, 3.7l v6. I also need the suspension inspected, and general diagnosis carried out smiley
Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by radautoworks: 3:34am On Aug 13, 2018
ivoryhouse:
Motor Oil change for 2006 jeep commander, 3.7l v6. I also need the suspension inspected, and general diagnosis carried out smiley

Pretty much any street car, 0.5 hours (N2,500) for oil change.

Suspension system inspection 0.8 hours

General diagnosis (should include visual suspension check) but generally 0.5-1 hour

NOTE: diagnoses are free with repair with us.
Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by lilkech(m): 8:55am On Aug 13, 2018
As a guideline for you, our labor rate is N5,000 an hour meaning a typical oil change would be around N2,500 and brakes would be around N7,500 in labor per set.

madam, these are very expensive compared to the prices people usually pay in these parts of the world cry

the last time I gave a Mech (Kaz obviously) N7,500 he serviced my injectors, changed all my brake pads, installed a new rear caliper, rotated my tyres and changed my oil and filter. He even allowed me buy those small spray paint cans and held on for me to personally spray all four calipers red so it looks cool cool

well, i drive a jalopy so maybe he pities me undecided

obviously you cater to only the elite clientele. Luckily we have numerous ‘chairmen’ on this forum who drive high end cars so don’t fret. You’d get enough patronage.

Good luck

10 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by radautoworks: 9:19am On Aug 13, 2018
lilkech:

madam, these are very expensive compared to the prices people usually pay in these parts of the world cry

the last time I gave a Mech (Kaz obviously) N7,500 he serviced my injectors, changed all my brake pads, installed a new rear caliper, rotated my tyres and changed my oil and filter. He even allowed me buy those small spray paint cans and held on for me to personally spray all four calipers red so it looks cool cool

well, i drive a jalopy so maybe he pities me undecided

obviously you cater to only the elite clientele. Luckily we have numerous ‘chairmen’ on this forum who drive high end cars so don’t fret. You’d get enough patronage.

Good luck

I congratulate you on having a reliable guy at those prices.

Our labor rates are actually half of comparable centers and come with 3 months warranty on work done. The purpose of the thread wasn't so much our rate but the amount of time you are being billed for. From what you're saying, his labor rate is about N1,500 per hour as it should be for a kazeem.

For example, if a mechanic told you he was going to charge you a certain amount, by knowing how many hours it should take, one could figure out what rate they were being charged for the service. This is especially important for bigger jobs and not so much the little things and I've seen some insane billing for labor since I've been here.

5 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by lilkech(m): 9:51am On Aug 13, 2018
radautoworks:

I congratulate you on having a reliable guy at those prices.

Our labor rates are actually half of comparable centers and come with 3 months warranty on work done. The purpose of the thread wasn't so much our rate but the amount of time you are being billed for. From what you're saying, his labor rate is about N1,500 per hour as it should be for a kazeem.

For example, if a mechanic told you he was going to charge you a certain amount, by knowing how many hours it should take, one could figure out what rate they were being charged for the service. This is especially important for bigger jobs and not so much the little things and I've seen some insane billing for labor since I've been here.

You hit the nail on my head with your second paragraph. Thanks for the clarification.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by radautoworks: 10:45am On Aug 13, 2018
N19,000 FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL CHANGE PROMOTION

Until the end of August 2018, N19,000 fully synthetic oil change. Includes up to 5 quarts of Carquest fully synthetic oil, oil filter and free performance check. Additional quarts extra.

Mention coupon AUNTYRADU grin

4 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by ivoryhouse(m): 3:35pm On Aug 13, 2018
radautoworks:

General diagnosis (should include visual suspension check) but generally 0.5-1 hour

Alright, thanks.
Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by AmandaLuv(f): 3:55pm On Aug 13, 2018
radautoworks:

please can I get a price quote for Toyota sienna Oil control valve bank 1, and the filter. Tnx
Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by radautoworks: 4:07pm On Aug 13, 2018
AmandaLuv:
please can I get a price quote for Toyota sienna Oil control valve bank 1, and the filter. Tnx
Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by AmandaLuv(f): 4:08pm On Aug 13, 2018
radautoworks:

Hello, going to need a year for the vehicle. Also, are you asking for parts and labor or just labor because this thread is focusing on labor.
so sorry. just the parts alone.
Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by radautoworks: 4:12pm On Aug 13, 2018
AmandaLuv:
so sorry. just the parts alone.

What year is it?

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by AmandaLuv(f): 4:16pm On Aug 13, 2018
radautoworks:

What year is it?
Not to derail the purpose of your thread. I reposted in the right section. Tnx

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by radautoworks: 8:47am On Aug 14, 2018
AmandaLuv:
Not to derail the purpose of your thread. I reposted in the right section. Tnx

Thank you. Responded on parts thread
Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by radautoworks: 8:00pm On Aug 16, 2018
yagor:
cc: radautoworks

2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4MATIC Sport Mass Air Flow Sensor?
How much is this item and cost of labor to fix ?

Labor 0.7 hrs= N3,500
Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:51am On Aug 17, 2018
radautoworks:

Honda accord 2006, sharp car, never been abused, never had its swaybar bushings replaced.

First try, bolts on bushing cap get broken inside subframe.

2 options, bring down subframe and get bolts out (this is risky as more things could get broken)

Another option gradually fill broken and weld a nut when it's grown tall enough grin. (2hrs you still on it)

Does not happen every day, but with the influx of flooded cars into the country, it is unavoidable and happens a lot.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:53am On Aug 17, 2018
Finally the bastard is out grin

And that's one out of a possible 4.

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by thebigkendo(m): 1:21pm On Aug 17, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Honda accord 2006, sharp car, never been abused, never had its swaybar bushings replaced.

First try, bolts on bushing cap get broken inside subframe.

2 options, bring down subframe and get bolts out (this is risky as more things could get broken)

Another option gradually fill broken and weld a nut when it's grown tall enough grin. (2hrs you still on it)

Does not happen every day, but with the influx of flooded cars into the country, it is unavoidable and happens a lot.

Bros removing swaybar bushings bolt is not longer inspection na..

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:18pm On Aug 17, 2018
thebigkendo:

Bros removing swaybar bushings bolt is not longer inspection na..

Bolts did not show signs of rust. My own queshun in 0.8hrs go do dis work?

2 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by thebigkendo(m): 2:57pm On Aug 17, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

If you ask me..Yes.. With the right tools/equipment at your disposal..rusted nuts & bults are no biggie

I encounter a lot of them at work.. Do you know 30 years old bolt weh no gree komot angry angry

But again... 0.8hrs stated by aunty Radu is for inspection not the getting dirty part

I Pity Oga rewire when he was removing my starter motor, that long bolt with powder!!! Blood flow.. We both swear for Honda that day

4 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by radautoworks: 2:58pm On Aug 17, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Thebigkendo has spoken. 0.8 hours is just for an inspection. We haven't said what is wrong yet to be quoting repair. Plus like I said in other thread, rusty bolts are easy with right equipment.

Those are not the only two options for that problem. Call Glen. He'll teach you something new. wink
Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:27pm On Aug 17, 2018
radautoworks:

Thebigkendo has spoken. 0.8 hours is just for an inspection. We haven't said what is wrong yet to be quoting repair. Plus like I said in other thread, rusty bolts are easy with right equipment.

Those are not the only two options for that problem. Call Glen. He'll teach you something new. wink

oh ok, sorry just jumped to the first post.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by radautoworks: 5:11pm On Aug 17, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

oh ok, sorry just jumped to the first post.

Have baba! Anyway you have a lot of threads to go through so I understand skimming
Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by radautoworks: 5:12pm On Aug 17, 2018
thebigkendo:

If you ask me..Yes.. With the right tools/equipment at your disposal..rusted nuts & bults are no biggie

I encounter a lot of them at work.. Do you know 30 years old bolt weh no gree komot angry angry

But again... 0.8hrs stated by aunty Radu is for inspection not the getting dirty part

I Pity Oga rewire when he was removing my starter motor, that long bolt with powder!!! Blood flow.. We both swear for Honda that day

Hee hee
Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by radautoworks: 5:20pm On Aug 22, 2018
WE ARE SUSPENDING ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION WORK FOR A MONTH BECAUSE DADDY RADU HAS JOINED AUNTY RADU FOR BABY RADU'S IMPENDING ARRIVAL. WE ARE NOT YET READY TO ALLOW OUR STAFF TO RUN COMPLETELY UNFETERRED IN OUR ABSENCE.

ROUTINE MAINTENANCE AND SUSPENSION SERVICES ARE STILL AVAILABLE UNTIL OUR RETURN

3 Likes

Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by dejidotun2000(m): 7:09am On Aug 26, 2018
Is your offer of oil change for #19, 500 till August end still valid ?

Greet Baby Radu for us ooooooo.

radautoworks:
WE ARE SUSPENDING ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION WORK FOR A MONTH BECAUSE DADDY RADU HAS JOINED AUNTY RADU FOR BABY RADU'S IMPENDING ARRIVAL. WE ARE NOT YET READY TO ALLOW OUR STAFF TO RUN COMPLETELY UNFETERRED IN OUR ABSENCE.

ROUTINE MAINTENANCE AND SUSPENSION SERVICES ARE STILL AVAILABLE UNTIL OUR RETURN
Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by Nobody: 8:49am On Aug 26, 2018
Please how much is it to change auto gear for sienna 2000 or to repair, so I can compare the prices
Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by radautoworks: 3:32pm On Aug 26, 2018
dejidotun2000:
Is your offer of oil change for #19, 500 till August end still valid ?

Greet Baby Radu for us ooooooo.

Yes o. Word is bond.

Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by radautoworks: 3:36pm On Aug 26, 2018
ProKracker:
Please how much is it to change auto gear for sienna 2000 or to repair, so I can compare the prices

Labor for replace of a 2000 sienna rack and pinion is 3hrs x N15,000= N15,000 Max.
Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by radautoworks: 3:36pm On Aug 26, 2018
oluchi514:
Finally the bastard is out And that's one out of a possible 4.

?
Re: How Much Should I Expect To Pay For My Repair? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Aug 26, 2018
radautoworks:

Labor for replace of a 2000 sienna rack and pinion is 3hrs x N15,000= N15,000 Max.

I mean to buy a new gear or do a repair to the I have there. Now my question is how much is a new gear or how much would it cost to repair the faulty one? The gear is not moving at all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

2020 Mercedes GLS Vs. 2019 BMW X7, Which Side Are You On? (Photos) / Some Nigerian Drivers Can Be Dirty!! (pictures) / Jubilation As Cars Drive To 4 Riverine Communities In Bayelsa For The First Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.