Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! (451725 Views)

Writing CIMA For Express Entry?? Lets Meet Here! / Travelling To Russia For The 2018 World Cup Let’s Meet Here / Those Intending To Travel Out, Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by njbybrthnly: 8:02pm On Nov 19, 2018
grin grin grin grin

Before the exam I couldn't enjoy watching movies in English (and I love movies) because I always felt the time could be better used in learning french so I started watching French movies (and cartoons embarassed) and that opened up a whole new world to me...there are some really great french movies.

Bellerin:
@njbybrthnly

Lol. Your post is really inspiring. I'm certain if people follow your model and are committed to the language, they'll eventually succeed as you have. Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 19, 2018
njbybrthnly:
grin grin grin grin

Before the exam I couldn't enjoy watching movies in English (and I love movies) because I always felt the time could be better used in learning french so I started watching French movies (and cartoons embarassed) and that opened up a whole new world to me...there are some really great french movies.

Couldn't agree more... grin grin

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Scard: 10:05pm On Nov 19, 2018
Thank you very much @Bellerin and @njbyrthnly

I will take your advice like oxygen going forward.

Oh, and I shall be calling on you and everyone else as the journey progresses,.

Merci Beaucoup!!!

Bellerin:

Before @njbybrthnly arrives to give you timelines, permit me to say this:

First of all, you're doing well despite your perceived lack of progress and taking a private teacher helps too. That feeling of not making progress is normal in language learning but you have to persist.

Let me continue by saying, the revision classes at AF will prepare you for TEF specifics as against a full blown language course. So there's a chance you'll need more than that (depending on your current French level).

Now for Listening and Speaking, you need to listen to a lot of French material to develop listening capabilities. Try resources with sub titles so you don't get frustrated. Improve your vocabulary quickly - this makes you a lot better.

Speaking (For TEF) is easier to hack: Give yourself specific daily objectives. For example ask yourself - Can I:
Give my opinion in French.
Describe something in French.
Call a store to ask for the price of an item in French.
Remind a friend of something he said in French...etc

Record yourself saying it. Give yourself daily tasks. Your speaking will tremendously improve in a short time.

The TEF is tricky because it requires CLB 7 in ALL areas to get 30 extra points which makes each of the 4 areas equally important. If you do devote 4 hours daily till February, you stand a decent chance at the minimum for Speaking, Writing, and Reading.....You would need to deep-fry yourself in French Audio Oil however for Listening.

3 Likes

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 19, 2018
Scard:
Thank you very much @Bellerin and @njbyrthnly

I will take your advice like oxygen going forward.

Oh, and I shall be calling on you and everyone else as the journey progresses,.

Merci Beaucoup!!!

Anytime! All the best.
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Scard: 8:52am On Nov 20, 2018
Good morning all,

For those who have used the "prepmyfuture" app, please I need to confirm somethings

1. It is not an "app" right? I only saw it on the web.

2. How long is the subscription in terms of months? I couldn't find it on the site.

Thank you very much as you respond
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 20, 2018
Scard:
Good morning all,

For those who have used the "prepmyfuture" app, please I need to confirm somethings

2. How long is the subscription in terms of months? I couldn't find it on the site.

1 year. €39.
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by njbybrthnly: 9:52am On Nov 20, 2018
Scard:
Good morning all,

O

Yeah it's on the web...hence a web app grin
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by ayboye: 4:30pm On Nov 20, 2018
It is available on Google Play Store as well.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.cciparisidf.francais3.formation

Scard:
Good morning all,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by DanMisla: 11:17am On Nov 21, 2018
Institut Francais in Abuja is a TEF centre:

http://www.institutfrancais-nigeria.com/tef-canada-10th-of-december-2018/

Next date is 10 Dec, although registrations have closed. But reach out to them: contact@institutfr-nigeria.org or 0805 947 8456...You never know...

happyme31:

please I want to write TEF and I am in Abuja. Please is there a centre in Abuja?
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Scard: 11:57am On Nov 21, 2018
Thanks @Bellerin, @njbybrthnly, @ayboye

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 1:03pm On Nov 24, 2018
my people...for expression orale..no preparation time again o!!! be prepared to be spontaneous....PH guys was this how the Sept and Oct exams were?

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 1:21pm On Nov 24, 2018
Mamaroon:
my people...for expression orale..no preparation time again o!!! be prepared to be spontaneous....PH guys was this how the Sept and Oct exams were?

Wawuu! When did you write sir? I did mine October 10 in PH. I got at least 15 minutes to gather myself.
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 24, 2018
Bellerin:

Wawuu! When did you write sir? I did mine October 10 in PH. I got at least 15 minutes to gather myself.

now in Lagos. waiting for my turn
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 1:32pm On Nov 24, 2018
Mamaroon:

Wishing you resounding success!
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 24, 2018
Bellerin:

Wishing you resounding success!

smiley amen....thanks sir
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 25, 2018
Mamaroon:

How did your exam go?
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 10:07pm On Nov 25, 2018
Flaj:

How did your exam go?

Thanks for asking smiley

Hhmmm only the results will tell o!!!...the structure has changed. ... For EO. ..you now have a choice of 3 but no preparation time...which made me a bit nervous....for EE I think I was better prepared but they no longer allow pencil so I hope my plenty cancellations will not cause any wahala...CO and CE.....were OK....I used "idea" for unfamiliar words.....Hopefully I'll be back with good news in Dec/Jan. They already have their 2019 TEF exam calendar up.... for interested peeps.....details below

4 Likes

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by njbybrthnly: 10:25am On Nov 26, 2018
I pray you get outstanding results. Can't wait to read your testimony in 4 - 6 weeks time.
Mamaroon:

Thanks for asking smiley

Hhmmm only the results will tell o!!!...the structure has changed. ... For EO. ..you now have a choice of 3 but no preparation time...which made me a bit nervous....for EE I think I was better prepared but they no longer allow pencil so I hope my plenty cancellations will not cause any wahala...CO and CE.....were OK....I used "idea" for unfamiliar words.....Hopefully I'll be back with good news in Dec/Jan. They already have their 2019 TEF exam calendar up.... for interested peeps.....details below
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 10:32am On Nov 26, 2018
njbybrthnly:
I pray you get outstanding results. Can't wait to read your testimony in 4 - 6 weeks time.

Thanks NJ....the rest of your moniker dey hard for me to pronounce.
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by njbybrthnly: 10:59am On Nov 26, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Pas de problème...anything YOU call me is cool
Mamaroon:

Thanks NJ....the rest of your moniker dey hard for me to pronounce.
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by ayboye: 7:43am On Nov 27, 2018
Let me provide a few tips regarding EO, I also wrote on Nov 24 at Yaba centre. Officially you are still allowed one minute to prepare after being given the topic for each part. I guess the examiners were in a hurry, hence why they did not allow some people enough time to prepare.

When I was given my topic, the lady was about to start and I looked at her and told her I was not ready yet that I thought I am allowed 1 minute time of preparation before starting. She hesitated a bit but still allowed me to prepare before we started.

It's funny that this is happening and I hate to see Nigerian factor creeping into this as well. I wrote DELF/DALF B2 and C1 in Togo back in 2007 and there was never a doubt about the rules despite having a lot of candidates at the centre.

My advise is to just be prepared to ASK for the 1 minute time because I cannot think of any language exam that does not allow candidates to gather their thoughts before speaking. IELTS will even give you a piece of paper in case you want to make some notes to organise your thought.

Also about having a choice of 3, I hate that these examiners are not consistent with the rules of the exam. I was not even given a choice. They just gave me the paper for the first part, I prepared for a minute and we started. The same happened for the second part, I was not given any option at all.

Mamaroon:

Thanks for asking smiley

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by DanMisla: 9:11am On Nov 27, 2018
Oh, that's a proper shame. I hope you were unfazed and still gave it your best shot.
You have our best wishes...

thanks for sharing too, because I was totally under the impression that candidates are given TEN minutes to prepare for each Part!!
Incredible.

ayboye:
Let me provide a few tips regarding EO, I also wrote on Nov 24 at Yaba centre. Officially you are still allowed one minute to prepare after being given the topic for each part. I guess the examiners were in a hurry, hence why they did not allow some people enough time to prepare.

When I was given my topic, the lady was about to start and I looked at her and told her I was not ready yet that I thought I am allowed 1 minute time of preparation before starting. She hesitated a bit but still allowed me to prepare before we started.

It's funny that this is happening and I hate to see Nigerian factor creeping into this as well. I wrote DELF/DALF B2 and C1 in Togo back in 2007 and there was never a doubt about the rules despite having a lot of candidates at the centre.

My advise is to just be prepared to ASK for the 1 minute time because I cannot think of any language exam that does not allow candidates to gather their thoughts before speaking. IELTS will even give you a piece of paper in case you want to make some notes to organise your thought.

Also about having a choice of 3, I hate that these examiners are not consistent with the rules of the exam. I was not even given a choice. They just gave me the paper for the first part, I prepared for a minute and we started. The same happened for the second part, I was not given any option at all.

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 3:46pm On Nov 27, 2018
ayboye:

hmm...you know I was thinking the very same thing.....i asked if I could not jot down my thoughts and she said nope!
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 27, 2018
ayboye:

Oga...pls go and update your grade in all 4 as C2 already.....see oppression!!!! wink
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by BootyliciousHon: 5:24pm On Nov 27, 2018
Choice of 3? I also wrote on Saturday in Lagos. I was simply shown the topic to read and being my parole! Wasnt given any option. This new method ehn... hmmmm
Mamaroon:

Thanks for asking smiley

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by mariah203: 8:42pm On Nov 27, 2018
AF Phc TEF & TCF Feb 2019 registration has started. All interested should take note

3 Likes

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by victor247: 9:04am On Nov 28, 2018
Good morning to everyone on the TEF thread.

I'm here for guidance on how to forge ahead in my quest to enter the Canadian EE pool. I don't have a Master's degree yet and having played with the CRS Tool, I figured my point will fall short, hence the decision to go for French lessons and write the TEF exam.

My first question is, which French school would you suggest between Alliance Francaise and French Village, Badagry?

I was at Alliance Francaise (Yaba) to make enquiry, but I'd appreciate it if experienced people on the thread could advice me accordingly. I have no prior French knowledge.

The receptionist at Alliance Francaise told me that there are many programs on ground, from beginner to elementary, intermediate, advanced and so on. What level do I have to stop to be able to pass TEF and get the required band 7?

Thank you in anticipation of your great contributions.

1 Like

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by ayboye: 1:01pm On Nov 28, 2018
Unfortunately I can't use the result because it's too old. Also, DELF/DALF is only accepted for Quebec PNP.

Mamaroon:

Oga...pls go and update your grade in all 4 as C2 already.....see oppression!!!! wink
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by ayboye: 1:03pm On Nov 28, 2018
I'll leave others to provide guidance on how to learn the language.

The link to the CRS tool is http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

victor247:

I'm here for guidance on how to forge ahead in my quest to enter the Canadian EE pool. I don't have a Master's degree yet and having played with the CRS Tool, I figured my point will fall short, hence the decision to go for French lessons and write the TEF exam.

My first question is, which French school would you suggest between Alliance Francaise and French Village, Badagry?

I was at Alliance Francaise (Yaba) to make enquiry, but I'd appreciate it if experienced people on the thread could advice me accordingly. I have no prior French knowledge.

The receptionist at Alliance Francaise told me that there are many programs on ground, from beginner to elementary, intermediate, advanced and so on. What level do I have to stop to be able to pass TEF and get the required band 7?

Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by victor247: 1:16pm On Nov 28, 2018
ayboye:
I'll leave others to provide guidance on how to learn the language.

The link to the CRS tool is http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

I appreciate your response but if you take a closer look at my post you'll realize I don't need the CRS Tool link. I already have the link and have used it severally.
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 1:53pm On Nov 28, 2018
ayboye:
Unfortunately I can't use the result because it's too old. Also, DELF/DALF is only accepted for Quebec PNP.

Oui...je sais.....what I meant was...... if your proficiency was already at C1 then i.e. 2007...this exam must have been a walk in the park......all the best!
Re: All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 28, 2018
victor247:

CLB 7 in TEF is B2/C1. Description I found online for this level of competence is:

I can communicate effectively but may not always understand what interlocutors say. The speaker of this level has reached a degree of autonomy allowing him to develop arguments to defend his position and explain his point of view and negotiate. The speaker can communicate with ease and spontaneity in the usual situations and he can correct his own mistakes.

.......but fear not ...read all the tips on this thread from bellerin, mariah203 and njbybrthnly and practice as you would for any exam.....info on exam structure for each of the 4 parts is also on this thread.

You can start with beginner classes and work up from there....with zero prior french i think it is totally doable in a year or less...depending on your time commitment. And 42 extra points if you are able to attain CLB 7 is not beans..... Bonne Chance!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (182) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 / Travelling To Canada / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.