Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,582 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief (4501 Views)

Poll: Best Solution?

Privatization: 89% (33 votes)
More Money: 10% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Ilorin-jebba Road Under Serious Construction (pictures) / 'we'll Fix Power Supply Problems In 3 Years,' - Buhari / What General Buhari Must Do To Fix Power In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by cmon(m): 6:26pm On Jun 23, 2010
Must they start with $6b? Cant it be $2b, then with time increase? Nobody is expecting a steady power supply from 2moro, Na wa ooo,
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by OvieE: 6:29pm On Jun 23, 2010
cmon:

Must they start with $6b? Cant it be $2b, then with time increase? Nobody is expecting a steady power supply from 2moro, Na wa ooo,

Don't mind the fools. They are looking for their pocket as usaul.
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by Shola2009(m): 6:34pm On Jun 23, 2010
^^Exactly!
They should at least greatly improve the current power being supplied.
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by amblors(m): 6:37pm On Jun 23, 2010
are we still talking about this? like seriously?
its obvious past and present governments have either been too corrupt n dishonest or totally incompetent to handle this problem.
i guess we need "God" to come down and solve this problem for us.

SHAME on the government.
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by 006(m): 6:40pm On Jun 23, 2010
Nigeria is too big for a black man to manage, so divide the country to a manageable size. angry
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by picoba(m): 7:41pm On Jun 23, 2010
Is there any hope for this country?
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by hackney(m): 7:51pm On Jun 23, 2010
@post:
So officially speaking, no chance of electric power for Nigerians?
laff wan kill me o!!

Make una just convince IBB or OBJ to mercy una foot the bill.
ololoololoololoololooooooooo ! ! ! ! !
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by brilantio: 7:52pm On Jun 23, 2010
I think you ppl are looking at this the wrong way. The government are just too transparent. The past govt won't even make a budget talk less of making their intentions known to the people.
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by hdwada: 7:54pm On Jun 23, 2010
Yakubu and Kaita, gave in an interview today that they have the solution to Nigeria's electric sector. Only would Nigerians let them back into the country? cheesy
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by imef(m): 8:13pm On Jun 23, 2010
den de-centralize the power sector, lets state govt contrl it, fed govt can latter subsidy 4poor states if necessary.simple solution,
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by mrkoma2012: 8:24pm On Jun 23, 2010
But there's money 2 go on un neccesary foreign trips
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by Ultrame(m): 8:28pm On Jun 23, 2010
Our dark days are yet to be over.

The typical Nigerian Jaguda government will want to tackle the power problems like the illiterate jagudas that the are.

They want to solve all the problems in one day. A great man once said the easiest and the most effective way to solve a problem is to break the problem down into small bits and tackle each bit separately.

Our government focuses all their misguided energies on very inefficient and old Hydro electric and gas turbine power generation methods.

Is Hydro and gas the ONLY way power can be generated? How about cheaper wind turbines in windy parts of the country?, how about solar for otherwise inaccessible rural areas? how about clean nuclear power reactors in urban centers (which Nigeria can afford no matter what these slowpoke politicians say).

They prefer to apply the same old inefficient hydro to every body. How will it work?

Bloody Jaguda people.!

Mchewww! I don tire.
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by chidichris(m): 8:35pm On Jun 23, 2010
Govt should spend its scarce resources on poverty alleviation schemes and social spending

Thats why the UN says most countries Govt budgets should allocate 30% to health care
another 20% to education and so on.  .

Govt should spend on better housing for the very poor
Healthcare
Education
Reducing infant mortality
Reducing hunger.  .make sure all kids are in school,by giving them school lunches
and so on. . Thats what brazil does,and South Africa spends a huge part of its budget on such type of spending
That is poor/low income housing,Free Health care,Free Education and so on

However in  this same South Africa and Brazil Govt stays out of things like power
Because it can only lead to corruption and The money needed is huge and the knowhow is also complex,which Govt doesnt have

What does a GOVT appointee in ABUJA,Know about POWER supply in 2010?
When Bola ige claimed he will perform a miracle in POWER,what happened?

The problem is that u guys think there is money,but that is not how power works
u dont build a power plant by budgeting N10billion naira every yr for 5yrs(Like they are doing with the NIPP)

No.  .u BUILD a POWER plant,by getting your commited finances up front from a bank
and then do the FID(Final investment decision,after signing gas supply agreements and securing Transmission lines to evacuate the power u produce). . .IF there are delays in the ports u work round the clock to fix it
cause u know u are paying interest on your loan

In the case of GOVT,Turbines can rot in the PORTS,cause afterall its GOVT money who cares?
Next yr u will budget another N10billion abi?
Some power plants are built in locations with no way to transmit the power produced cause there are no transmission lines
Some are built with no pipelines to supply gas and so on. .

The question is why would u continue to insist on the same Incompetence i listed above?
and dont tell me that a honest minister will do different. .this is a lie because the whole chain is corrupt
The public sector power workers are corrupt too. . .If they dont sabotage u at production,they will do it at transmission,if not transmission,then they will get u at maintanance

So there lies your problem. . .and its not unique to Nigeria though
Its just that GOVTs worldwide cannot run any business successfully,because they are too slow to adapt

so instead of spending another N150billion this yr to give u Darkness. .
spend it where u can help to get towards achieving our MDG goals(Water,low income housing,free health,free education etc )

@paddy lo,
did i hear u call our resources scarce?
the present no 10 highest oil producer in the world has scarece resources?
do u know what the percentage of our education that is presently in the hands of private individuals?
what is $6b dollars compare to the day to day lootings in our various sectors?
what is $6B compared to the claimed recovered loots by our so-called corruption fighting agents.
tell me, if our govt is a responsible one, how come the card meter is not popular? at the end of the day, even if they privitize electricity, with the same ppl in power, related policies will not be favourable either to the users or the producers.
what is the percentage of countries in the world using privatized electricity and the ones using govt subsidized power suply?
electricity is the pivot on which the economy of every country rotates.
the problem with nigeria and nigerians is that we are so used to poor life that any form of positivity looks the best for us otherwise how can most of our telecommunication companies be selling above their capacities and thereby take people's money without rendering the services.
nigeria has a very poor network and all the internet providers here are more of fraud yet no one is complaining because we have been waiting for anything in form of communication.
if we privatize electricity, let there be privatisation of politics too so that govt will not be responsible to anyone.
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by hackney(m): 9:04pm On Jun 23, 2010
U people want constant power abi?
So what will happen to Alhaji Bello and juliana obasanjo that import generators??
Una no serious.
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by KA24DETT(m): 9:11pm On Jun 23, 2010
The best thing is privatization,, It is everywhere, In the US, Canada, Germany. The government job is to regulate the rates that would bring a good return on investment. Things like power in Nigeria will never be solved by throwing money at it. Leave the states to it, u will see, in 2 years things will improve so fast. It will be like during the GSM time. No amount of money the government throws in will fix the problem. The whole system is corrupt, bring PPP in and u will see a difference.
Obasanjo tried pumping money into power but no result. BAD advisers,
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by topup: 9:34pm On Jun 23, 2010
It is so sad, Nigeria really is a country in which its leaders care nothing for its people.

SO so sad.

I wish this was back in the past, when there was an opportunity for us to be 'captured' and ruled over. At least a ruler with a goal for a successful nation is better than one that just wants to feed their own mouth.

I'm tired of discussing these topics, ELECTRICITY, WATER, INFRASTRUCTURE are the BASIC needs ANY country needs to develop, we haven't secured any of the three.

Privatising sectors is a problem, but initially this may be necessary, the railways in the UK were privatised before the National Government bought them, however some private companies still exist.

Competition is healthy and necessary, and an insensitive, not-passionate set of leaders is not going to create that healthy competition.

Man!! I'm always lost at words!!

Also read: [url]http://www.nigerianembassy.nl/Prof.%20Anya.htm[/url]

"There are about 600 public enterprises in Nigeria run by or controlled by the Federal Government. Many more are controlled by State Governments. These companies take a sizeable portion of the Federal Budget and account for over 5,000 appointments into their management and Board – a powerful source of political patronage.  Transfers to these enterprises ran into billions of naira.  These transfers were in form of subsidized foreign exchange, import duty waivers, tax exemptions and/or write-off of arrears, unremitted revenues, loans and guarantees and grants/subventions.  These companies were also infested with many problems which became an avoidable drag on the economy such as - abuse of monopoly power, defective capital structure, heavy dependence on treasury funding, rigid bureaucratic structures and bottlenecks, mismanagement, corruption and nepotism."
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by CarlosVent(m): 9:53pm On Jun 23, 2010
god wil save us
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by topup: 9:57pm On Jun 23, 2010
CarlosVent:

god wil save us

Amen.
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by kobikwelu(m): 10:16pm On Jun 23, 2010
guys calm down,

read the post carefully,

it said 6billion USD annually till 2010 shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

in naira terms, 750billion NAIRA annually (approx) cry cry cry cry cry cry

ABEG ITS TOOO MUCH STRAIN ON OUR BELLY
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by Iceugwa(m): 11:25pm On Jun 23, 2010
wat about the money our people they thief. money dey
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by Princek12(m): 1:46am On Jun 24, 2010
Obasanjo "spent" $16B to improve the power sector. If the Govt. has no money to fix the power sector, that makes for a great argument supporting the deregulation of the power sector; that way, private cos can invest their own money for profit purposes. But these malos in the senate will not support it.
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by PokerFace(f): 2:32am On Jun 24, 2010
No money to fix power sector, Yet there is a[size=20pt] 10 Billion Naira[/size] proposal to celebrate our 50 years of independence . . . Can you imagine?
Just check out the list below:

[size=16pt]Itemised 10 billion naira Budget Proposal for 50 years celebration.
[/size]
1. Anniversary parade including march past, fleet review and aerial display - N950 million.
2. National unity torch tour - N350 million.
* Special visit to special homes, orphanages, prisons and hospitals - N50 million
3. Special session of the National Children Parliament - N20 million
4. Party for 1000 children - N20 million
5. Presidential banquet - N40 million
6. Calisthenics performance - N50 million
7. Cultural, historical and military exhibitions N310 million
8. Food week - N40 million
9. Secretariat equipment, accommodation, logistics and utilities - N320 million
10. Designing and unveiling of the 50th anniversary logo - N30 million
11. Special reports on Nigeria in both local and international media - N1.2 billion
12. Jingles, adverts, billboards, documentary and publicity - N320 million
13. Accommodation and Transportation of guests - N700 million
14. Production of branded souvenirs and gift items for foreign heads of state and erection of a coat of arms on Aso Rock - N450 million
15. Variety gala night and fireworks - N210 million
16. International friendly football match and local competition - N200 million
17. Event managers and producers - N120 million naira.
18. Designing and publication of a compendium on Nigeria - N400 million,
19. Compendium on the legislature - N150 million
20. Compendium on the judiciary - N50 million.
21. Commissioning of the golden jubilee plaza - N10 million naira;
22. Designing, construction and mounting of Tower of Unity in the 36 states of the Federation - N540 million.
23. Debates, essays, conferences, lectures, and a colloquium - N150 million;
24. Musical concerts and carnivals in the 6 geo-political zones - N60 million;
25. Durbar, masquerades and cultural dances - N100 million and
26. Designing and construction of 10 monuments of the founding fathers - N80 million.
27. A memory stone at the Tafawa Balewa Square , Lagos will consume - N40 million,
28. Security and protocol - N500 million
29. Medicals - N25 million
30. Miscellaneous - N105 Million.

Na wa!
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by Becomrich0: 5:07am On Jun 24, 2010
It is sick, when you heard he appoint prof nnaji to be adviser on power. That is pure nonsense. Prof nnaji does not know anything about power. I even know more than prof Nnaji. The bible says we should not boost. I know more than prof Nnaji.

This man read mechanical engineering and have never had a real job in his life. apart from teaching. How do you expect him , a mechanical engineering teacher to solve an electrical engineering problem. He is square hole in round peg.

Quote me, I Adesegun can solve the problem that has taken PDP 12 years to solve. I mean what have taken the PDP 12 years to solve. I Adesegun can solve it.  if white people were paying dollar to solve thier problem. Then you would know I can solve it.
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by DoubleN(m): 8:57am On Jun 24, 2010
imef:

den de-centralize the power sector, lets state govt contrl it, fed govt can latter subsidy 4poor states if necessary.simple solution,
There are no poor states in Nigeria just dammed thieving Governors!
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by marabout(m): 9:39am On Jun 24, 2010
Paddy-lo God bless you.

Let then name one thing the FG runs that has ever worked apart from from their well-oiled lootocracy.
I pray for all these mobile phone companies everyday despite their substandard service. Gone are those days when I used to try to call home for 5 hours non-stop without getting through NITEL.

The only hope is private sector. Even if they can just provide electricity/light to the extent MTN, Glo, Etisalat and co are providing communication now, Nigeria will be a different place. Charge your meter like you buy recharge card now. Let FG sod off any kind of services for the citizens. If possible let them also handover police, customs and all the other kangaroo pen-pushing departments to private sector to run since FG cannot even run a roadside bukateria as effectively as Iya Basira. grin grin grin grin
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by softgirl1: 10:15am On Jun 24, 2010
when Googluck was already raising our hope now wa o when will our masiah come? God help this country
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by member479760: 10:50am On Jun 24, 2010
Presido is failing or failed, infact tedius to undersatand.
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by monkeyleg: 11:04am On Jun 24, 2010
See, I think we should start by demanding transparency. I want to see the document that states the we need $6BN. Let them publish the consultation document that gives a clear indication on how they arrived at this amount. I am begining to think that this is a figure they plucked out of the air. Besides i am not convinced that Nigeria has that sort of Electrical resource demand.
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by papadenzel(m): 11:50am On Jun 24, 2010
Ibori alone can cough out dat money if dey assure him of no prosecution here in Nigeria, 4rm all d money he stole, dis 6 billion is peanuts,
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by 3G1: 11:53am On Jun 24, 2010
that news is a diversion of nigerian focus on power.the jonathan administration is coming out with a bigger package for nigerians,a long lasting smile on the faces of nigerians.
just hold !
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by ud4u: 11:57am On Jun 24, 2010
How can they sponsor it, it means, no money for embezzlement.
Re: We Have No Money To Fix Power Sector – Jebba Power Chief by Gbawe: 12:13pm On Jun 24, 2010
3 G:

that news is a diversion of nigerian focus on power.the jonathan administration is coming out with a bigger package for nigerians,a long lasting smile on the faces of nigerians.
just hold !

Let us hope you are right. Anything that will keep the FG in full , and thus incompetent  control of the power sector simply means that Jonathan ( like others before him) is a slave to the cabals keeping us down. Yar Adua , even as he never named anyone, never stopped talking about the "various cabal" sabotaging the Power sector in Nigeria. What he failed to tell Nigerians was that he could never move against these cabals because many are his sponsors, benefactors and pals.

The power sector is a totally different ball game to the telecom sector. The 'owners' of Nigeria posited that giving Nigerians GSM technology will not greatly transform the fortunes of some Nigerian State in comparison to others. Power , on the other hand , will vastly accelerate the development and fortune of States with focused leaders . The indolent and clueless leaders who do not have two brain cells to rub together will then be badly exposed !!!!

Ribadu , in his latest interview, has said that "those profiting from the rot in Nigeria are resisting change" . He is totally correct. I personally think Jonathan is more committed to his enemies-of-progress sponsors , who are "resisting change",  than he is to a better Nigeria. That does not make him evil. It just means he is another business-as-usual leader Nigeria will need to get rid of if it is to see rapid progress.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Atiku Lied With His Figures - Aganga / Six DIGs , 19 AIGs s, 14 CPs May Go If Mbu Becomes IGP. / Breaking News! Rivers State Government House Is Being Attacked By Ogoni Youths!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.