Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,329 members, 7,780,851 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:35 AM

Population Explosion In Nigeria - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Population Explosion In Nigeria (364 Views)

Pipeline Explosion Rocks Sagamu / Nigeria's Population Explosion / 100 Level Nursing Student Who Suffered Severe Burns In A Gas Explosion In Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Population Explosion In Nigeria by Cindino20(m): 12:54pm On Aug 13, 2018
Population Explosion!!!

It is no longer news that the population of Nigeria is growing at an alarming rate. Under normal circumstances, such growth will be strength but in our case it is not as the population growth rate exceeds the growth rate of public infrastructure and development by far which gives cause for concern.

At the beginning of this millennium (year 2000) the population of Nigeria was ca. 122 million, the national bureau of statistics report which was published in the Vanguard in june 2018 indicates that as at 2018 the population of Nigeria is ca.193 million...thats an increase of 71 million in 18 years ca. 3.94 million per annum population growth rate...To put it into contest we ve added the combine population of Italy and Sweden in 18 years or the population of Southern Africa (South Africa, Botswana, Namibia Lesotho and Swaziland) and Mauritania put together in 18 years

Mind you these numbers i presume excludes the estimated 15 million Nigerians residing in the Diaspora.

The implication of such an increase in population growth rate without an equivalent growth rate in infrastructural development is huge and cannot be quantified.

A prime example of the problem associated with such population explosion is that between 2010 and 2015, of the ca. 10 million applicants to Nigerian tertiary institution, only 26% gained admission.

We ve also seen an exponential increase in unemployment, housing shortages, just to name a few problems associated with such population explosion.

This population explosion is not sustainable at least not at this rate. We are sitting on a keg of gun powder.

Do we continue to look the other way as our population explode without an equivalent growth in infrasctructure and development like we do to other problems hoping that a divine being will fix the problem we re creating for ourselves or do we look at each other and tell ourselves the honest truth which is we cannot continue like this and find a solution to this problem?

Links

https://www.tribuneonlineng.com/51570/
http://www.worldometers.info/population/countries-in-africa-by-population/
https://qz.com/africa/1171606/nigeria-population-growth-rising-unemployment-and-migration-suggest-things-could-get-worse/

cc Freiburger lalasticlala
Re: Population Explosion In Nigeria by adamsonagada: 12:50am On Aug 30, 2020
Good day
Kindly check your email, I have some questions I would like to ask.

Thanks
Re: Population Explosion In Nigeria by Cindino20(m): 9:33am On Aug 30, 2020
adamsonagada:
Good day
Kindly check your email, I have some questions I would like to ask.

Thanks

Check mail.

(1) (Reply)

The 6 Weirdest Creatures From ‘doctor Who’ (photos) / Lg Lcd 42" Tv / BREAKING!!! Olamide Signs Two New Soldiers To YBNL Without A Contract.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.