Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story (5418 Views)

One Month Redmi 9c 3gb/64gb Plus 64 Gb Memory Card @n50,000 / My 3 Months Old S10+ front glass Just Got Cracked / Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 A Prime Full Unboxing And Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Gbadebo01(m): 8:32pm On Aug 13, 2018
My 3 Month Redmi note 5 story

I pre-ordered the Redmi note 5 Global version (3 GBx32 GB) in 27th of March 2018 but got delivered in May 2018. I laboured throughout the month of April as I was already tired of using the LG G3. Fast forward to today I have been using the phone for the past 3 months but I have some beautiful things to say and some not so beautiful things to say. So let’s start.

I am in love with shape of the phone, that 2:1 aspect ratio is ‘lit’. People often mistake the phone for an iphone from afar. Most people find it hard to believe the phone costs about between 70k and 80k. I got a few cases from aliexpress and they make the phone extra cool.
To the feel of the phone, the phone feels very light in hand without the pouch, the phone is also slim at 8.1mm it has a velvet feel in hand. The back of the phone is curved around the edges which makes it easy holding the phone for people with small hands. the hybrid sim port frustrated me till i got the sim extended so i have 2 sims and a memory card in the phonegrin

The interface
At first I thought the interface was overrated but thank God I gave it a chance before getting angry and flashing AOSP android Oreo. The phone came preloaded with MIUI 9.5 stable rom which was initially for me very dry as it came with just 2 themes the default and the limitless. I personally prefer the limitless as it makes the interface cleaner. The issue that didn’t sit well with me is the region issue. Before I was able to get some themes and get to change my font at will I had to change my region from NIGERIA to INDIA; that also gave me a wider library of fonts in the built-in theme app.
I have a list of themes I like but let me share my personal favourite, yellow. I have attached some screenshots for your lovely pleasure. The font is San Francisco from iOS. To be continued

Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by vivypretty(f): 8:49pm On Aug 13, 2018
you didn't say anything about the not too beautiful features.

1 Like

Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 13, 2018
Please what's the name of this theme
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Gbadebo01(m): 10:02pm On Aug 13, 2018
Gestures
I am using the gestures based control which I must say is very well implemented. The times I have had issues using the gesture control is when I am playing games and want to leave the game it takes sometime before it switches to the home screen which is somewhat understandable. When I am typing very fast sometimes the screen keeps moving when I type or totally takes me out of the current page.

Battery life and real life performance
With 4000mah you can do almost anything and with a snapdragon 636 CPU to go with it, you get an awesome performance. I get two days of moderate use from the battery but on the days I play games I get a full day of heavy use. Football manager Mobile which is my favourite mobile game works smoothly on the redmi note 5 AI with enhanced match engine. I have played asphalt and there was no ‘chopping’ while playing. I have not played a lot of games on the phone but it looks capable of handling most games you throw at it. Scrolling through the interface feels buttery smooth, feels very snappy. I also reduced all animations to 0.5x speed and makes the phone feel faster. There are some settings I have disabled because they don’t make some a lot of difference such as memory optimisation and MIUI optimisation. I don’t see a need for the memory optimisation as android does a good job of that. The reason I turned the MIUI optimisation is that when I apply a new theme or wallpaper it reverts in some couple of minutes or max couple of hours but when I disabled those options the themes stayed longer before reverting.

The Camera
The phone comes with dual cameras (12MP and 5MP) on the back and 13MP upfront. The main camera on the back is 12MP and the other camera is for depth sensing. The camera had me resurrecting my photography gene because of the level of detail the camera captures. The camera is very good but doesn’t do well in low light. The level of details in each shot is very good but when it comes to low light there is usually a lot of noise. The bokeh effect (background blur) is the most talked about feature of the camera. Check out some of my pictures.

For the front camera, it also has the bokeh shot capability but not as seamless as the back camera as sometimes you would notice stitching on some shots. i would not dwell on this too much and let the pictures do the talking. the pictures are very large due to upload size i could only upload one picture.

1 Like

Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Gbadebo01(m): 10:03pm On Aug 13, 2018
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Precixx(m): 10:03pm On Aug 13, 2018
Following,

Question number one, How much u buy that things to add extra sim

Question number two, Did u root the phone to flash oreo
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Gbadebo01(m): 10:04pm On Aug 13, 2018
vivypretty:
you didn't say anything about the not too beautiful features.
it's coming in the second part by tomorrow afternoon
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Gbadebo01(m): 10:17pm On Aug 13, 2018
Precixx:
Following,

i cant remember how much I bought it but you can check AliExpress it's called hybrid simeo adapter.
2. i have not flashed the Oreo yet but if you want to you need to unlock your phone first, get twrp to flash oreo
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by mubarakyoung: 10:59pm On Aug 13, 2018
is that redmi better than infinix note 5
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Precixx(m): 11:51pm On Aug 13, 2018
Gbadebo01:
i cant remember how much I bought it but you can check AliExpress it's called hybrid simeo adapter.
2. i have not flashed the Oreo yet but if you want to you need to unlock your phone first, get twrp to flash oreo

How do u manage the extra popping out sim
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Gbadebo01(m): 8:50am On Aug 14, 2018
Precixx:

How do u manage the extra popping out sim
the case helps alot, as most people dont get to see it.
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by nerdfrost(m): 9:39am On Aug 14, 2018
mubarakyoung:
is that redmi better than infinix note 5
guy pls don't start this morning...even note 4x is better than infinix note 5

9 Likes

Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by loverboys: 12:07pm On Aug 14, 2018
I don hear
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Dacronym(m): 12:44pm On Aug 14, 2018
This phone and the Note 4 which has a longer lasting battery
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by orenzi: 4:44pm On Aug 14, 2018
I have a brand Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Global version 4GB Ram 64GB storage...Black colour.display is gorgeous snapdragon 636 processor is very fast,It has A1 Dual Camera,updated to latest Android Oreo and miui and lots of fantastic features.one of the best at this price range.Call/WhatsApp 08025220285 if interested.Location is Lagos.77k only

Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by biggmusty(m): 5:39pm On Aug 14, 2018
Let's see the cases u bought for ur machine
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Chiefkester: 7:53pm On Aug 14, 2018
Gbadebo01:
My 3 Month Redmi note 5 story

I pre-ordered the Redmi note 5 Global version (3 GBx32 GB) in 27th of March 2018 but got delivered in May 2018. I laboured throughout the month of April as I was already tired of using the LG G3. Fast forward to today I have been using the phone for the past 3 months but I have some beautiful things to say and some not so beautiful things to say. So let’s start.

I am in love with shape of the phone, that 2:1 aspect ratio is ‘lit’. People often mistake the phone for an iphone from afar. Most people find it hard to believe the phone costs about between 70k and 80k. I got a few cases from aliexpress and they make the phone extra cool.
To the feel of the phone, the phone feels very light in hand without the pouch, the phone is also slim at 8.1mm it has a velvet feel in hand. The back of the phone is curved around the edges which makes it easy holding the phone for people with small hands. the hybrid sim port frustrated me till i got the sim extended so i have 2 sims and a memory card in the phonegrin

The interface
At first I thought the interface was overrated but thank God I gave it a chance before getting angry and flashing android Oreo. The phone came preloaded with MIUI 9.5 stable rom which was initially for me very dry as it came with just 2 themes the default and the limitless. I personally prefer the limitless as it makes the interface cleaner. The issue that didn’t sit well with me is the region issue. Before I was able to get some themes and get to change my font at will I had to change my region from NIGERIA to INDIA; that also gave me a wider library of fonts in the built-in theme app.
I have a list of themes I like but let me share my personal favourite, yellow. I have attached some screenshots for your lovely pleasure. The font is San Francisco from iOS. To be continued

please how does the 2 sim thing wrk i am considerin dis device
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by skyhighweb(m): 8:00pm On Aug 14, 2018
orenzi:
I have a brand Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Global version 4GB Ram 64GB storage...Black colour.display is gorgeous snapdragon 636 processor is very fast,It has A1 Dual Camera,updated to latest Android Oreo and miui and lots of fantastic features.one of the best at this price range.Call/WhatsApp 08025220285 if interested.Location is Lagos.77k only
How much if i give u my honor 5c
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Gptech(m): 8:32pm On Aug 14, 2018
Gbadebo01:
It's strange to hear that your phone did not come with Oreo as all Redmi note 5 AI comes with Oreo out of the box. Can you upload your about phone to confirm? Also, you don't need to unlock bootloader or flash TWRP to get your device updated if need be.

1 Like

Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by fibonacci2526: 8:59pm On Aug 14, 2018
Gptech:

It's strange to hear that your phone did not come with Oreo as all Redmi note 5 AI comes with Oreo out of the box. Can you upload your about phone to confirm? Also, you don't need to unlock bootloader or flash TWRP to get your device updated if need be.

Hahaha, I get follow this story. Too many misinformation on this forum.
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Gbadebo01(m): 9:44pm On Aug 15, 2018
Gptech:

yeah! what i wanted to flash was the AOSP Oreo firmware. i apologize for any misgivings. i will adjust the write up to reflect that
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Gbadebo01(m): 9:52pm On Aug 15, 2018
Dacronym:
This phone and the Note 4 which has a longer lasting battery
the note 4 is the battery king due to its energy efficient Snapdragon 625
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by henry007(m): 9:53pm On Aug 15, 2018
Changing font and theme made you love the display? grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Gbadebo01(m): 9:55pm On Aug 15, 2018
Chiefkester:

please how does the 2 sim thing wrk i am considerin dis device
please check this video sir.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhcBp_TfXis

1 Like

Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by 2kurupt(m): 4:35am On Aug 16, 2018
You must be running some warped up rom if ordinary wallpaper & themes keep reverting, even my ancient of days Redmi Note 3 didn't have such issue with MIUI optimisation activated.

Surprised your phone didn't come with Android Oreo out of the box, or did you do some tinkering with your device?
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Dacronym(m): 6:53am On Aug 16, 2018
Gbadebo01:
the note 4 is the battery king due to its energy efficient Snapdragon 625
So No other phone with the a better battery than RN4 yet?
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by orenzi: 9:54am On Aug 16, 2018
orenzi:
Still available
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Gbadebo01(m): 9:59am On Aug 16, 2018
2kurupt:
You must be running some warped up rom if ordinary wallpaper & themes keep reverting, even my ancient of days Redmi Note 3 didn't have such issue with MIUI optimisation activated.

Surprised your phone didn't come with Android Oreo out of the box, or did you do some tinkering with your device?
the phone came with oreo under the guise of miui 9.5. flashing AOSP Oreo was wat i was talking about and i have not made adjustments to the firmware yet. i believe the theme that keeps reverting is a bug but i need the other note 5 ai users to confirm.

Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by 2kurupt(m): 12:08pm On Aug 16, 2018
Gbadebo01:
the phone came with oreo under the guise of miui 9.5. flashing AOSP Oreo was wat i was talking about and i have not made adjustments to the firmware yet. i believe the theme that keeps reverting is a bug but i need the other note 5 ai users to confirm.

I use RN5 too, same MIUI version as yours, but no issues or bug to that effect from my end.

Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Gbadebo01(m): 1:02pm On Aug 16, 2018
2kurupt:

I use RN5 too, same MIUI version as yours, but no issues or bug to that effect from my end.
cool bro glad to knw we are in the same club wink .. but mine is the 3 x 32GB but yours is 4 x 64 GB. i think it may be a memory issue. btw your front camera is how many Megapixel?
Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by Gptech(m): 1:41pm On Aug 16, 2018
Gbadebo01:
cool bro glad to knw we are in the same club wink .. but mine is the 3 x 32GB but yours is 4 x 64 GB. i think it may be a memory issue. btw your front camera is how many Megapixel?
It's not a memory issue, even 1gig ram Redmi 2 doesn't experience such. It is compatibility issues with some new themes, with time such should be fixed by developers. Same issue you experience happen with this them on a Redmi note 5 here.

Re: My 3 Month Redmi Note 5 Story by busuyi44: 1:57pm On Aug 16, 2018
Hybrid sim adapter is available 1k each.let us that on WhatsApp
Precixx:
Following,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Noticed This On The New Whatsapp? / 5 Best Durable Tested And Trusted Power Banks Models You Should Go For In 2015 / Xiaomi Mocks Apple After Anouncing The Iphone 12

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.