Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,247 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:22 AM

The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. (12640 Views)

Peter Obi's Achievements In Rural Areas In Anambra That Isn't Talked Much About / How Is The Electricity Bill In Your Area? / Exorbitant Estimated Electricity Billings! Post Your March Bills Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by CowHard: 9:05pm On Aug 13, 2018
While resting on the bed, noise and whistling started to emanate from the front yard. I thought perhaps a 'friendly' masquerade has come to pay homage since it was an Orie market day.
"Bring your NEPA bill" said one of the 'officials'
I then emerged from the room to greet the 'EEDC employees', behold was a childhood friend.
"When did you secure employment with the EEDC" I asked enthusiastically.
"I no understand" he replied.
"I mean how did you manage to secure employment with Enugu DISCO" I asked joyously.
"We are not here to dance DISCO, we are the youths of the town and here to collect the #1,000 monthly light bill" he said.

His 'youthful colleague' armed with pliers and tape for disconnection was already feeling restless as I made to inquire how they arrived at the uniform price of #1,000 per house irrespective of electrical appliances and the number of hours light was restored.

I want to use this medium to appeal to the Enugu state commissioner of rural development Mr Gabriel Onwuzuluike and the state rural electrification board headed by our own Eng. Simon Atigwe to wade into this matter so as to address this anomaly.
Villagers are made to pay through the nose in the hands of the youths of the town.

A certain neighbor whose house has only one bulb is made to cough out #1000 on monthly basis even when the community hardly boast of one week of electricity per month.
Leaving the affairs of unmetered rural buildings solely in the hands of the village youths is a recipe for extortion and all manners of corruption.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by CowHard: 9:08pm On Aug 13, 2018
I'm finding it difficult to upload the ungodly payment receipt issued to people over here

1 Like

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by ifychris77(m): 9:27pm On Aug 13, 2018
The same EEDC, that is the problem we are having here in Umunna Nsulu of Abia state. You will be force to pay that huge amount but you won't see light. We are seeing the great change that APC has brought for us. Before now there used to be a steady power supply with low NEPA bill of #200 per month

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by Nonymartin(m): 9:37pm On Aug 13, 2018
Early prepaid meter is the solution.

2 Likes

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by 3millionia: 9:38pm On Aug 13, 2018
Please how much is south African or Ugandan visa

Urgent please help a brother grin

8 Likes

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by itiswellandwell: 9:38pm On Aug 13, 2018
Change can be positive change or negative change. Next time, before u na vote, u na go ask which change he be.

Cheap s6 check my signature.

2 Likes

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by Ogbenisoft28(m): 9:38pm On Aug 13, 2018
Crazy
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by Bintabisiriyu: 9:38pm On Aug 13, 2018
MAY GOD PUNISH SHERIFF DEPUTIES GBAGADA FOR STEALING MY SALARY

1 Like

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by moyinoluwabun(m): 9:38pm On Aug 13, 2018
It's terrible here at Elekute Qrts, Ajilosun Street, Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State. BEDC just bring exorbitant bills that won't even motivate u to pay. Nothing like having prepaid meter.

1 Like

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by Jasen1(m): 9:38pm On Aug 13, 2018
Nawaa very bad

Ugly country
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by kellz0(m): 9:39pm On Aug 13, 2018
M
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by CodeTemplar: 9:39pm On Aug 13, 2018
That's Nigeria for you.
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by josju: 9:40pm On Aug 13, 2018
One of the biggest legalised scams in Nigeria is the crazy bills people pay for not consuming power

12 Likes

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by Albert0011(m): 9:40pm On Aug 13, 2018
.Our own here in Delta state is the worse o...BEDC are taking us for granted, u won't even have stable light and at the end of the month they will tell u that ur bill is 4k.

2 Likes

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by JerryDM1: 9:42pm On Aug 13, 2018
The light is going from bad to worse every day, especially here in Ozoro, Isoko North LGA of Delta State.

5 Likes

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by Dclique(m): 9:43pm On Aug 13, 2018
Estimated billing should be made illegal in Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by Hargbo(m): 9:46pm On Aug 13, 2018
You are paying #1000 monthly and you are complaining grin come to the west and see a house paying 12k monthly and they can not even boast of 100hours of light monthly and they won't give you prepaid meter even if you are ready to pay for the exorbitant amount they asking for what should be free. This is Nigeria where Power holdings and the Nigeria Police are dragging the title of the MOst Corrupt Institution

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by jaycool01(m): 9:46pm On Aug 13, 2018
The IBDC own is beyond human comprehension. They normally give us 15k fixed amount for a house that only light bulb and television. the concerned authenticities are folding their arms to let this ineffectual Buffon reap where they don't sow.

1 Like

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by onegig(m): 9:49pm On Aug 13, 2018
We need to tell ourselves the truth.

Electricity is not cheap. I see people commenting about N200 per month for NEPA bills? shocked

How many minutes would N200 fuel last in your generator that you expect to pay N200 per month for an average of 4hours of light per day?

Yeah. There are crazy bills sometimes. But millions of households have not paid NEPA bills in like years and they expect good supply.

We all shout about overseas but kindly ask your families living outside the country how much they pay on electricity bills and you would know that to get something good you have to pay for it. Businesses aren't charity and to break even they need to make money also.

18 Likes

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by Offpoint: 9:51pm On Aug 13, 2018
Just 1k? you guys ain't got no problem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by integrity16(m): 9:51pm On Aug 13, 2018
You can see lazy youth colluding with EEDC official to oppress his fellow human being. When the issue of unbundling PHCN came up during the Jonathan Administration, I thought it was the best thing that ever happened at the time. Now we are paying for darkness. Well I will just hold my PVC to my chest counting down to 2019.
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by adekunle6224(m): 9:51pm On Aug 13, 2018
for our own syd adebayo area in Ado Ekiti we pay 8k on a monthly basis
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by ewenla7: 9:51pm On Aug 13, 2018
useless ikedc.....they used their own hands to disconnect light and I deliberately refused paying and refused to reconnect the wire since we hardly stay in the flat.....these idiots were still bringing bills every month for 6 months later.
Bill accumulated to over a 100k ,I went to their office to tell them my light had been disconnected by them 6 months back and how come I am still getting bills.....the manager told me I should have written to them officially informing them not to send bills to me anymore since I wasn't using their power....I was like what manner of fuckery is this....I told them to kuku come and remove the poll from the front of my house
last last got pre paid meter and I gave known peace ever since

11 Likes

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by mytime24(f): 9:53pm On Aug 13, 2018
*HOW TO CROSS ROAD IN NIGERIA*
Look left and right for tankers and okadas, then look up for aeroplane,
look down for bomb,
look back for kidnappers
look front for sars undecided
hold your bag tight and watch the person beside U => aka yahoo yahoo guyz
then walk zigzag to avoid stray bullets tongue

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by robinso01(m): 9:55pm On Aug 13, 2018
moyinoluwabun:
It's terrible here at Elekute Qrts, Ajilosun Street, Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State. BEDC just bring exorbitant bills that won't even motivate u to pay. Nothing like having prepaid meter.
is elekute same as ekute @ ado ekiti?
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by Jabioro: 9:55pm On Aug 13, 2018
ifychris77:
The same EEDC, that is the problem we are having here in Umunna Nsulu of Abia state. You will be force to pay that huge amount but you won't see light. We are seeing the great change that APC has brought for us. Before now there used to be a steady power supply with low NEPA bill of #200 per month
lt is not APC problem,but your home front invented infested problem by your kinsmen who had refused to do the rightful..Abi na APC sold the nepa to powerholding and then to EEDC...

8 Likes

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by ewenla7: 9:56pm On Aug 13, 2018
onegig:
We need to tell ourselves the truth.

Electricity is not cheap. I see people commenting about N200 per month for NEPA bills? shocked

How many minutes would N200 fuel last in your generator that you expect to pay N200 per month for an average of 4hours of light per day?

Yeah. There are crazy bills sometimes. But millions of households have not paid NEPA bills in like years and they expect good supply.

We all shout about overseas but kindly ask your families living outside the country how much they pay on electricity bills and you would know that to get something good you have to pay for it. Businesses aren't charity and to break even they need to make money also.
oga that's no excuse, everyone has been shouting for pre paid meters but these criminals refuse...

12 Likes

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by Trendy247: 9:56pm On Aug 13, 2018
You're even lucky. Here in my community in Akwa Ibom, we pay N2,500 monthly, yet I can't remember when last they brought light. I knw that before 25th, they'll rush and fix the light so they won't miss the 2.5k for this month.
The worst is that no one in the foolish community is saying anything.

1 Like

Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by durableking: 9:57pm On Aug 13, 2018
nna na waoooo
Re: The Exorbitant Electricity Bill In Rural Areas. by Horus(m): 9:59pm On Aug 13, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS9TYnPizeM

Reps tackle Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission over charges

The House of Representatives Ad-hoc Committee set up to probe and curb excessive electricity charges by Distribution Companies (Discos) accused the latter as well as the Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) of conniving to extort and shortchange Nigerians.

The committee, chaired by Hon. Israel Ajibola Famurewa (APC, Osun), noted that both NERC and the discos had failed totally in ensuring that Nigerians get value for money spent on electricity consumption.

Essentially, the committee is seeking to curb the exorbitant electricity charges being levied on consumers by discos and believed the distribution firms and prepaid meter vendors are currently managed by “fraudsters” who are masters in shortchanging electricity consumers across the country.

In one particular instance, one Mojeec International Limited, a local pre-paid meter manufacturer and vendor, was accused of overbilling a customer, who consumed as much as N70,000 monthly.

But following complaints by the affected consumer, the meter was reevaluated and adjusted, bringing the monthly consumption to only about N30,000 presently.

However, the Deputy Managing Director of Mojeec, Mr. Hakeem Balogun, told the committee that the special case of over-billing had been traced to wrong meter installation by the company which had now been corrected.
The committee believed several other electricity consumers in the country are being cheated through illicit methods by the operators.

However, Chairman of NERC, Prof. James Momoh, told the lawmakers that the commission was making efforts to ensure that the billing reflects actual consumption pattern adding that it had fined some discos to the tune N134.1 million due to violations of electricity regulations, and that the same money was duly transferred to the Rural Electrification Agency (REA) account.

He said: “All the reports related to the fines are published annually. NERC is taking measures to improve on the services by discos.”

But the committee, nonetheless, chided NERC for doing little or nothing to curb the arbitrary billing system against consumers.

A member of the committee, Hon. Raphael Nnanna (APC, Imo), said: “With all what NERC said, they’ve not addressed the issue of excessive and outrageous billing. Nigerians are suffering, and they’re not addressing that. All these things NERC said amount to stories. How are you proffering solutions to the issue of estimated and outrageous billing?”

Hon. Muazu Lawal (APC, Zamfara) said: “It appears discos and other stakeholders are not ready for the job before them. You just go about billing people the way you like without considering the actual power they consume. This happens everywhere in the country and even in Abuja.

“From what’s happening, I think discos are either operated by fraudsters or they’re just extorting money from Nigerians. If you’re not ready for the job, tell us you’re not ready.”

Also, Hon. Olayonu Tope (APC, Kwara) said: “If Nigerians are to cast their votes on the performance of NERC, it will be that the agency is a complete failure. The failure of Nigeria’s economy today is lack of power. NERC is one of the major stakeholders leading Nigeria to failure. NERC, you’re a failure.”
The lawmakers said Nigerians are tired of excuses and needed results.

However, some of the discos argued that they inherited inaccurate data on the power situation in the country, adding that energy bypass by consumers remained a big challenge to their survival.

This is as the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr. Godwin Emefiele, wednesday disclosed that the federal government had disbursed a total of N158. 74 billion to electricity discos, generation companies (GENCOs,) GASCOs and service providers under the CBN-Nigerian Electricity Market Stabilisation Facility.

Speaking when he appeared before the ad-hoc committee, he said seven Discos received N49, 841, 913 billion; 18 Gencos got N73, 545,871 billion; six Gascos received N24,892,952 billion while service providers were paid N10,463,904,265 billion.

He said to ensure that electricity become efficient, the apex bank also intervened by providing a payment assurance facility and has so far disbursed N330 billion out of a projected N701 billion.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FEC Approves ₦38.4 Billion For Roads In Benue, Four Other States / EU Ambassador Visits Shettima And Lalong At Tinubu's Campaign Headquarters / FG Unveils Citizens’ Delivery Tracker To Hold Ministers Accountable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.