Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,584 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:42 PM

Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows (21981 Views)

I Am Planning To Acquire My First Car With A Budget Of 500K / 2015 Mercedes Benz CLS 400....2014 Porsche 911 Carerra Coupe (4d Ceo's) / This Porsche 911 Was Made With Quadricycle,Cardboard,Plastic Pipe And Duct Tape (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by Automotive1(m): 1:57am On Aug 14, 2018

Porsche on Monday announced that its new 911 GT3 RS will come with rear and rear side Gorilla Glass windows in order to cut weight .

The Gorilla Glass (a common name for thin-film glass) is a tough, lightweight, unshatterable and scratch-resistant glass made by Corning Inc. It is commonly used as a protective window for your mobile phones, Television and laptop display.

The tough but light material will make the new 911 GT3 RS's rear and rear side windows to weigh just 3.7 kilograms (8.2 pounds) compared to that of Porsche 911 with the same dimensions that weighs 5.8 kilograms (12.8 pounds)

Porsche said the Gorilla glass also has other benefits apart from its light weight. It can also block 99 percent of ultraviolet radiation from the sun while the traditional safety glass can only block about 70 percent .

It also admitted that the Gorilla glass comes with some disadvantages. Presently, it costs more than the traditional glass it would partially replace due to its limited demand in the automotive market .

An additional problem is the flexibility. The Side windows you roll down can't be made of Gorilla Glass because they could flex at high speeds, and not seal correctly when rolled up.

Last year at the CES in Las Vegas, Corning equipped an electric car with a Gorilla Glass windshield, sun roof, rear window, dashboard, touchscreen steering wheel display and a control panel to demonstrate the effectiveness and potential of the glass in automotive use.

Some of the leading automakers are currently working with Corning’s Gorilla Glass Automotive team to change and improve the driving experience.

Do you love to see your beloved car brands come with Gorilla glass windows and touchscreen displays

https://autojosh.com/porsche-911-gt3-rs-is-the-first-car-to-use-cornings-gorilla-glass-windows/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by kennypedia(m): 6:53am On Aug 14, 2018
Wow. I know I will be FTC. Am using this position to pray for better Nigeria. Shout amin

4 Likes

Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by DBossNG(m): 10:35am On Aug 14, 2018
Ok
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by PRINCEVICKEY: 10:35am On Aug 14, 2018
ok..lets see the pics
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by Jenomtwist(m): 10:35am On Aug 14, 2018
Letz have a toast
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by 3millionia: 10:36am On Aug 14, 2018
Mark my words, i must buy motor this year

A must

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by osazeeblue01: 10:36am On Aug 14, 2018
Automotive1:

Porsche on Monday announced that its new 911 GT3 RS will come with rear and rear side Gorilla Glass windows in order to cut weight .

The Gorilla Glass (a common name for thin-film glass) is a tough, lightweight, unshatterable and scratch-resistant glass made by Corning Inc. It is commonly used as a protective window for your mobile phones, Television and laptop display.

The tough but light material will make the new 911 GT3 RS's rear and rear side windows to weigh just 3.7 kilograms (8.2 pounds) compared to that of Porsche 911 with the same dimensions that weighs 5.8 kilograms (12.8 pounds)

Porsche said the Gorilla glass also has other benefits apart from its light weight. It can also block 99 percent of ultraviolet radiation from the sun while the traditional safety glass can only block about 70 percent .

It also admitted that the Gorilla glass comes with some disadvantages. Presently, it costs more than the traditional glass it would partially replace due to its limited demand in the automotive market .

An additional problem is the flexibility. The Side windows you roll down can't be made of Gorilla Glass because they could flex at high speeds, and not seal correctly when rolled up.

Last year at the CES in Las Vegas, Corning equipped an electric car with a Gorilla Glass windshield, sun roof, rear window, dashboard, touchscreen steering wheel display and a control panel to demonstrate the effectiveness and potential of the glass in automotive use.

Some of the leading automakers are currently working with Corning’s Gorilla Glass Automotive team to change and improve the driving experience.

Do you love to see your beloved car brands come with Gorilla glass windows and touchscreen displays

https://autojosh.com/porsche-911-gt3-rs-is-the-first-car-to-use-cornings-gorilla-glass-windows/

I hope is not APC gorilla

4 Likes

Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by Samsimple(m): 10:36am On Aug 14, 2018
girls wey dey use car glass for fixing makeup right now

9 Likes

Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by dicksonadams(m): 10:37am On Aug 14, 2018
Is it unbreakable?
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by CTechHub(m): 10:37am On Aug 14, 2018
Dope ride
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by haibe(m): 10:38am On Aug 14, 2018
Corning Inc

Amazing Company cool

1 Like

Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by fineboynl(m): 10:39am On Aug 14, 2018
scratch resistance. that's cool

1 Like

Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by bobokeshington: 10:41am On Aug 14, 2018
technology
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by Ibukunmer: 10:41am On Aug 14, 2018
I think Lewis Hamilton's pagani Zonda 760lF also have a gorilla fiber glass.

Mclaren 720s also have the option as well.
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by Nobody: 10:46am On Aug 14, 2018
fineboynl:
scratch resistance. that's cool
shatter resistance too
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by HajimeSaito(m): 10:51am On Aug 14, 2018
Is that gorilla the owner of the car?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by morikee: 11:15am On Aug 14, 2018
See as Gorilla dey form boss near correct car

1 Like

Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by davillian(m): 11:19am On Aug 14, 2018
I love this 911

1 Like

Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by Nobody: 11:21am On Aug 14, 2018
Nice one. But Autojosh do the needful

1 Like

Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by Ade3000yrs(m): 11:32am On Aug 14, 2018
ok
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by HoodBillionaire: 11:45am On Aug 14, 2018
africans wud never invent
soon person go rush go buy am
dey form swag
oyinbo nor dey tire to advance in tech
we dey here dey battle with 2g in 4g disguise
wat a damn shame
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by dreamwords: 11:49am On Aug 14, 2018
Useless
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by Aldebaran(m): 12:11pm On Aug 14, 2018
Nice Gorilla glass cheesy

OkaNaUbe:
Nice one. But Autojosh do the needful
@OkaNaUbe, you look somehow jobless with all this your liked post...

Kid Quoting Josh from one post to the other cheesy

You can as well frame the screenshot and hang it on the wall cheesy
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by boyjo: 12:39pm On Aug 14, 2018
Huh? Unshatterable??
My phone screen wey don break reach how many times!
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by deliveryngltd: 1:36pm On Aug 14, 2018
A car to have abroad but not in Niger.

In other new, bulk delivery within Lagos is now as low as N600. visit www.bulkng.com to order.

Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by RexTramadol1: 2:30pm On Aug 14, 2018
This ride z good for me

I'll afford it soon.
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by blackaxe78: 3:34pm On Aug 14, 2018
3millionia:

A must

For propelling which grinding machine, cassava or Maize?

You will need to buy the grinding the machine too
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by tck2000(m): 3:55pm On Dec 04, 2019
3millionia:

A must
Lol
Re: Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows by zubairrazzaq(m): 8:43am On Apr 28, 2020
That is great I am also mechanic from Vegas, I am Owner at Top rated auto repairing shop in Las Vegas https://universalmotorcarslv.com/

(1) (Reply)

2007 Model Honda Accord Lx Toks Selling Cheap / SOLD 2010 Tokunbo ZDX Fully Loaded / Let's Discuss USED Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.