Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,932 members, 7,799,148 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:03 PM

Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US (24302 Views)

Three Nigerians Indicted Over $6m Fraud In US / $6M Romance Scam: Nigerian Man Found Guilty Of Conning Guyanese Pensioner / New Way Of Defrauding And Emptying Bank Account Discovered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by TundeBricklayer: 5:13pm On Aug 14, 2018
It is finished. After a longrunning court trial, Olayinka Olaniyi, a Nigerian, has been been pronounced guilty of defrauding universities in the United States, and is due to be sentenced to jail.

The 34-year-old was living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, at the time he committed the fraud, alongside his partner-in-crime, 29-year-old Damilola Solomon Ibiwoye. Both of them were extradited to the US to face the charges.

Olaniyi and Ibiwoye were convicted of sending scam emails targeted at college and university employees, after which they obtained their login details, which they used to steal payroll deposits. They also engaged in online dating scams to lure innocent victims into releasing their account details, into which deposits from the illegally-obtained funds were made.

While Olaniyi is scheduled to be sentenced on October 22, 2018, at 10a.m. before US District Judge Steve C. Jones, Ibiwoye, who had earlier pleaded guilty to the offence, had been sentenced on January 31, 2018 to three years and three months in prison, to be followed by three years of supervised release.

Sharing information on their arrest and subsequent convictions, a release by the Department of Justice, US. Attorney’s Office, Northern District of Georgia, dated Monday, August 13, 2018, quoted US Attorney Byung J. 'BJay' Pak, as saying: “These defendants used trickery to lure and exploit their unsuspecting victims, but they will now face the consequences of their scheme in federal prison.”

According to Pak, the duo were behind “phishing scams” that targeted institutions in the US, including the Georgia Institute of Technology (“Georgia Tech”) and the University of Virginia.

The statement read: “A 'phishing scam' is the act of sending fraudulent emails that appear to come from legitimate enterprises for the purpose of tricking the recipients into providing personal information, including usernames and passwords.

“Olaniyi and Ibiwoye directed phishing emails to college and university employees. Once they had possession of employee logins and passwords, they were able to steal payroll deposits by changing the bank account into which the payroll was deposited. Also, while logged into the university system through the stolen logins and passwords, these defendants were able to gain access to employee W2 forms, which they used to file fraudulent tax returns. The attempted theft was over $6 million.

“The stolen funds were routed into U.S. bank accounts, and the evidence showed that access to these bank accounts was acquired through the use of romance scams, where fraudsters pose on dating sites and apps as potential partners to gain the trust of their victim. At some point, the fraudster will make a request to deposit money into their victim’s account and claim to need all of the account information, including their account number, routing number, passwords, and answers to security questions. In this case, all of that information was then used to funnel the proceeds of theft through those accounts and out of the country.”

Speaking on the arrest, J.C. 'Chris' Hacker, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI Atlanta Division, expressed his organisation’s determination to “arrest criminals who believe they can hide out on the internet, protected by geographic boundaries, and prey on the American people and our institutions".

He also praised what he described as “the benefits of global cooperation between the United States and international law enforcement".

According to the release, the case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, while Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeffrey A. Brown, Deputy Chief of the Complex Frauds Section, and Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Laura D. Pfister handled the prosecution.

http://saharareporters.com/2018/08/14/it-finished-nigerian-going-jail-defrauding-us-varsities-6m

2 Likes

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by Nbote(m): 5:15pm On Aug 14, 2018
I jus came to confirm d name and I wasn't disappointed...

Oya 1, 2 , 3 Go!!! Let d games begin

126 Likes

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by loverboys: 5:29pm On Aug 14, 2018
Chaiii Yoruba pple..wen wld u stp killing Nigeria?

81 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by MartinCorridon: 6:43pm On Aug 14, 2018
I am Nairaland's Martin Luther King...

I have come to preach my message of NO TRIBALISM, MORE LOVE, my distinguished brethren

I have a dream where :

Israel & Palestine would live in peace...

Coneheads & Flat.heads shall live as neighbours

Slayqueens & fvckboys.

Scammers & magas will ALL live in harmony.

I will be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize 2019 for sure

grin

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by Bolustical: 9:00pm On Aug 14, 2018
TundeBricklayer:
The 34-year-old was living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, at the time he committed the fraud
This black sheep mingled, in Malaysia, with flat-headed drug exporters from the red mud region of exclusive erosion.

Enjoy your jail.

12 Likes

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by Uglymugg: 9:00pm On Aug 14, 2018
Ncan invading this thread right now

110 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by Greenarrow01(m): 9:01pm On Aug 14, 2018
Hushpuppi is next

4 Likes

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by franchasng: 9:01pm On Aug 14, 2018
The name of my best friend back in school days is Olayinka Olaniyi (in Igbo, Olaniyi means: amounts to nothing, someone that waste his/her life).

So it means, my best friend Olayinka Lara niyi = Olayinka wasted his life cry

[img]https://media1./images/e82c2cd09db0bf410917cda2ef22ffd4/tenor.gif?itemid=4986298[/img]

117 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by money121(m): 9:01pm On Aug 14, 2018
Ok

1 Like

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by Pigsandidiots: 9:01pm On Aug 14, 2018
So, make we fry water?
Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by 1Sharon(f): 9:01pm On Aug 14, 2018
Olayinka Olaniyi

YORUBA AMAKA

113 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by WesternOrbit: 9:02pm On Aug 14, 2018
what?
Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by Asianguy(m): 9:02pm On Aug 14, 2018
Nigerians and fraud sha

1 Like

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by itiswellandwell: 9:02pm On Aug 14, 2018
Hmmm
Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 14, 2018
MartinCorridon:
I am Nairaland's Martin Luther King...

I have come to preach my message of NO TRIBALISM, MORE LOVE, my distinguished brethren

I have a dream where :

Israel & Palestine would live in peace...

Coneheads & Flat.heads shall live as neighbours

Slayqueens & fvckboys.

Scammers & magas will ALL live in harmony.

I will be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize 2019 for sure

grin
MARTIN LUTHER NEVER LIVED TO see his dreams come to pass

op better fear FOOlanis,afonjas,ipobians..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by Aldebaran(m): 9:03pm On Aug 14, 2018
Yoruba are experts in 419 and rituals grin

Igbo in drugs and rituals grin

Hausa in Religious Violence and Drug abuse grin

What a Country...

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by HolyClement001(m): 9:03pm On Aug 14, 2018
lol oja ti burst ji masun
Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by MartinCorridon: 9:04pm On Aug 14, 2018
miracood:
MARTIN LUTHER NEVER LIVED TO see his dreams come to pass

op better fear FOOlanis,afonjas,ipobians..

I will preach peace... we will get there, brother in the Lord
Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by excomarow(m): 9:04pm On Aug 14, 2018
Up naija
Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by Bossontop(m): 9:04pm On Aug 14, 2018
undecided
Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by Unlimited22: 9:04pm On Aug 14, 2018
grin
Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by deff2: 9:04pm On Aug 14, 2018
End time criminals
Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by BuariCopyPaste: 9:05pm On Aug 14, 2018
I told una they are...............
Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by Israelmoney(m): 9:05pm On Aug 14, 2018
Nija which way
Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by Offpoint: 9:05pm On Aug 14, 2018
I'm impress with how the successfully carried out the crime, I'm impress with the steps involved. but highly disappointed why the got catch, that's where they flopped.

1 Like

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by Bossontop(m): 9:06pm On Aug 14, 2018
My pipu shall we begin??.............lets go......."AFONJ......."

cool angry grin angry cool

33 Likes

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by donpope1(m): 9:06pm On Aug 14, 2018
As an experience name checker.
On post like this, I don't check name. grin grin

We already know wink

14 Likes

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by aragonchuks(m): 9:06pm On Aug 14, 2018
The two OLA’S are great sons of Oduduwa

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olayinka Olaniyi, A Nigerian Is Guilty Of Defrauding Universities Of $6M In US by blazebaba(m): 9:07pm On Aug 14, 2018
angry awon guys yii sturborn gaan shaa sad...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tragedy Hits Family As Man Kills Wife During Scuffle / Taxi Driver Dies After Scuffle At Roadside Buka / Boy Who Breaks Into Schools In Delta To Burn Books Of Students, Nabbed (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.