Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:33 PM

American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread (117544 Views)

US Based Nigerian Lady Shares How She Spends All Her Finances On Bills (pix/vid) / Us-based Ghanaian Lady Arrested In Attempt To Open Plane Door Mid-flight / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Babyvet: 7:02pm On Aug 20, 2018
radautoworks:

Link not working. He wasn't deported for coming in illegally though was he?. They just denied his application the first time. I'm guessing his first application was seeking asylum because of sexual persecution?

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article195579604.html

If still does not work just Google gay guy deported to mexico and the article should come up. It said his asylum application was eventually approved but he was still deported due to clerical error .
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 7:03pm On Aug 20, 2018
Dremca:
Educate us on the basic ettiquttes to learn for new immigrants coming to the state.

Our parents prepared us well as long as we ditch the me-first mentality we adopted to survive when we grew up. On the road driving, in line at places, etc. Be polite, wait your turn and ask yourself "is this how I'd want to be treated" before you do anything.

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 7:03pm On Aug 20, 2018
Babyvet:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article195579604.html

If still does not work just Google gay guy deported to mexico and the article should come up. It said his asylum application was eventually approved but he was still deported due to clerical error .

That's what I thought. I was right. He was seeking asylum. He didn't come in illegally.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 20, 2018
radautoworks:

I'll have my lion bite anyone who does that cheesy wink

As of yet, we don't need him. grin
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Babyvet: 7:14pm On Aug 20, 2018
Dremca:
My interest has always been tech and am looking towards silicon valley area. I'm still planning towards achieving that.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/17/h-1b-foreign-citizens-make-up-nearly-three-quarters-of-silicon-valley-tech-workforce-report-says/

Above is an interesting article about their silicon valley workforce .
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Babyvet: 7:21pm On Aug 20, 2018
radautoworks:

That's what I thought. I was right. He was seeking asylum. He didn't come in illegally.

This one in next article became a us citzen through miltary after being here illegally. Although this option is no longer available since you have to be green card holder or us citzen to join miltary now.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-immigrant-military-service-20160423-story.html

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by stonemasonn: 7:21pm On Aug 20, 2018
lillaowow:

Do like me, talk to lots of girls you ain't interested in. Be really firendly. You will always get invite every week to somewhere, that way you ain't bored. grin

Don't forget the number 1 rule, don't ever get intimate with coworkers
I like that. I’ll give it a try.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 20, 2018
stonemasonn:
I like that. I’ll give it a try.

Are you still on the quest for friends with benefits from page 1?
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Dremca(m): 7:35pm On Aug 20, 2018
Or he can try sweet fourteen grin
HypocriteNazi:

Are you still on the quest for friends with benefits from page 1?
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Dremca(m): 7:37pm On Aug 20, 2018
I went through the article but I think is for tech immigrant employees not immigrant tech founders precisely African immigrants
Babyvet:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/17/h-1b-foreign-citizens-make-up-nearly-three-quarters-of-silicon-valley-tech-workforce-report-says/

Above is an interesting article about their silicon valley workforce .
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Babyvet: 7:49pm On Aug 20, 2018
Dremca:
I went through the article but I think is for tech immigrant employees not immigrant tech founders precisely African immigrants

How do you plan to move here? Are you planning to open a tech company immediately ?
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Dremca(m): 7:58pm On Aug 20, 2018
I'm considering coming to study, from there I can discover more innovations and form good network and then start a tech company after graduation. US doesn't have a visa class for startup unlike Canada.
Babyvet:

How do you plan to move here? Are you planning to open a tech company immediately ?
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 20, 2018
revontuli:

She was either too lazy or reckless. As soon as she got married, all she had to do was to leave the country and her husband could file a green card application for bringing spouse. Those take priority over other immigration cases. Shw could also leave before marriage and have the husband file for a K-1 visa.

She could legally re-enter then. She chose to remain illegal and trusted the government officials who said she is low risk for deportation. Never trust the government.

Hi Revolunti. Are you still in Poland?
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 8:17pm On Aug 20, 2018
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 9:02pm On Aug 20, 2018
Dremca:
I'm considering coming to study, from there I can discover more innovations and form good network and then start a tech company after graduation. US doesn't have a visa class for startup unlike Canada.

For you.

https://www.realtor.com/advice/finance/mortgage-moves-you-may-not-realize-you-have-to-do/?sf91730719=1
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Ayodejioak(m): 1:43pm On Aug 21, 2018
I've been passively catching up with comments and individual opinion and I must say how I've been somewhat impressed judging by my history of interaction with other Africans especially Nigerians here in the U.S
However, I cannot undermine the fact that some still tread the typical path of mis-information and residual knowledge to decide their life decision.

First of all, we need to choose our sides right before solving any eminent issue here: If you on this thread and you are IN Nigeria, no matter vast your knowledge is or how well you use the internet, there are tonnes of answers relating to real-life scenarios you haven't been in, rather than dissipating the wrong information, it 'll be nice to hear from the horse's mouth so as to broaden your skills.

The next category are the Nigerian living in US but not better off in terms of knowledge. See, that you spend donkey years in America doesn't guarantee success, or better information unless you put yourself in the correct track with the right set of people. What am I saying here? Many Nigerians living in the US have failed to realise the power of being "self-informed". There is literally a guideline to every step you can ever imagine to take in America ranging from Further studies, buying your first home, Filing taxes, Starting a business, import/export to mention a few. It thrills my personality to hear people poison the mind of others based on what their forefathers who's been working at Walmart since '98 told them.

Only as a means to inspire someone here and also debunk the hoax about having few blacks in silicon valley, I think it begins with you... What have you done to put yourself in that position? I work within the cyber security team of America's biggest bank, Just completed my master's degree, have two intermediate level cyber security certification already, and delved into website/ mobile app development on the side, a 2 year old LLC all in 3 years of my entry into this country.

The painful thing is some people haven't even ever tried,
Remember how they said US never issue visas to virgin passport, guess what? some of us tried.
Remember how they said blacks do only janitor jobs and MRDD, guess what? some us came to prove them wrong.
Remember all the myths we were told about living in America, guess what? some of came to debunk it.
Do your due diligence, walk with the right set of people - they decide how far you'll go, and don't stop pray. If by now you still doubt the existence of God, then something is probably wrong with you.

Together, lets make this $$

23 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Babyvet: 1:58pm On Aug 21, 2018
Ayodejioak:
I've been passively catching up with comments and individual opinion and I must say how I've been somewhat impressed judging by my history of interaction with other Africans especially Nigerians here in the U.S
However, I cannot undermine the fact that some still tread the typical path of mis-information and residual knowledge to decide their life decision.

First of all, we need to choose our sides right before solving any eminent issue here: If you on this thread and you are IN Nigeria, no matter vast your knowledge is or how well you use the internet, there are tonnes of answers relating to real-life scenarios you haven't been in, rather than dissipating the wrong information, it 'll be nice to hear from the horse's mouth so as to broaden your skills.

The next category are the Nigerian living in US but not better off in terms of knowledge. See, that you spend donkey years in America doesn't guarantee success, or better information unless you put yourself in the correct track with the right set of people. What am I saying here? Many Nigerians living in the US have failed to realise the power of being "self-informed". There is literally a guideline to every step you can ever imagine to take in America ranging from Further studies, buying your first home, Filing taxes, Starting a business, import/export to mention a few. It thrills my personality to hear people poison the mind of others based on what their forefathers who's been working at Walmart since '98 told them.

Only as a means to inspire someone here and also debunk the hoax about having few blacks in silicon valley, I think it begins with you... What have you done to put yourself in that position? I work within the cyber security team of America's biggest bank, Just completed my master's degree, have two intermediate level cyber security certification already, and delved into website/ mobile app development on the side, a 2 year old LLC all in 3 years of my entry into this country.

Remember how they said US never issue visas to virgin passport, guess what? some of us tried.
Remember how they said blacks do only janitor jobs and MRDD, guess what? some us came to prove them wrong.
Remember all the myths we were told about living in America, guess what? some of came to debunk it.
Do your due diligence, walk with the right set of people - they decide how far you'll go, and don't stop pray. If by now you still doubt the existence of God, then something is probably wrong with you.

Yes good story , i think everyone should go into the field your interested in. Not everyone is interested in IT , everyone should work hard to get what they want. Nobody is being enoucraged to work lowly wage jobs but we are not preaching get rich schemes here either. Everyone can not be a business owner either. This thread was opened to give a more realistic view.

5 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Ayodejioak(m): 2:10pm On Aug 21, 2018
Babyvet:

Yes good story , i think everyone should go into the field your interested in. Not everyone is interested in IT , everyone should work hard to get what they want. Nobody is being enoucraged to work lowly wage jobs but we are not preaching get rich schemes here either. Everyone can not be a business owner either. This thread was opened to give a more realistic view.

If your comments are addressing my point, then they are off.
I wouldn't call my write up a story, especially if you had the time to read them.
I never mentioned IT being the only way.
I have never even considered myself a businessman
You should probably find some time to read and digest the post, it might seem lengthy even after trying so hard to sculpt out the point, but I can assure you it's totally worth it!

4 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Appetizer(m): 2:18pm On Aug 21, 2018
Ayodejioak:

This is actually one of the best thing I've read on this forum. It's like God sent you to me.
I just love those kind words of wisdom

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Babyvet: 2:20pm On Aug 21, 2018
Ayodejioak:

If your comments are addressing my point, then they are off.
I wouldn't call my write up a story, especially if you had the time to read them.
I never mentioned IT being the only way.
I have never even considered myself a businessman
You should probably find some time to read and digest the post, it might seem lengthy even after trying so hard to sculpt out the point, but I can assure you it's totally worth it!

I read your post very well, I’m addressing some of the points you made in your post thats all.

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Appetizer(m): 2:24pm On Aug 21, 2018
Babyvet:

I read your post very well, I’m addressing some of the points you made in your post thats all.

I honestly don't think you did.

And if at all you did and that's the only thing you can grasp,

then

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Babyvet: 2:28pm On Aug 21, 2018
Appetizer:

I honestly don't think you did.

And if at all you did and that's the only thing you can grasp,

then

Please don’t come and start fight , I have made my opinion and that’s it. If yours is different then that’s fine.

3 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Dremca(m): 3:11pm On Aug 21, 2018
I'm very impressed with this information. As a Nigerian who has lived in the state, what are the challenges black people in running a tech startup.
Ayodejioak:

To give a sneek peek, 3 of my dozen apps on the store rakes in an average of $5K month with little or no monitoring. I got interested in this by just watching a Youtube video, you can check out the proof in the thread I opened here: https://www.nairaland.com/4636126/looking-invest-into-unique-business and my LinkedIn is always flooded with these so-called "silicon-valley" guys will to partner, invest or work with me.

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Ayodejioak(m): 3:47pm On Aug 21, 2018
Dremca:
I'm very impressed with this information. As a Nigerian who has lived in the state, what are the challenges black people in running a tech startup.

Before the advent of simplified modes of running business within a virtual environment, the rigour of having to rent a space and pay the never ending fees including 'uncle Sam's' cut is always overwhelming. It's a different case now that you can actually float an online/e-commerce business and run it at the comfort of your home while having to keep your white collar job (If you want to)

While we are being optimistic as startups, it is also necessary to talk about the first challenge any black startup will encounter especially within the tech sector in America. You need to understand you are doing something out of the norm here so you should expect backlashes, just like in any scenario. The common obvious challenges will be getting sidelined by investors even with your million dollar idea (You're not only black you have an accent.), Idea hijack - forget about signing NDAs they tell it to your face that your idea sucks but few months later someone is running the same idea you talked about (what a coincidence), and also the 'are you sure' look on their faces - No matter how convinced you are about your start up, you are going to prove above and beyond... remember that.

4 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Babyvet: 9:13pm On Aug 21, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3qYrWNCIwo

I found a video by Nigerian Lady based in the U.K. Very good and enlightening video . Although she is based in the U.K. , her points can be made as a general consensus for people living abroad.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Dremca(m): 10:02pm On Aug 21, 2018
Idea hijack I believe will be a big problem mostly for African immigrants startup. The whites will always try to find a way of outsmarting them besides, they have the mindset that Africa is not developed and africans live on trees.
What do you think could be the solution to idea hijacking
Ayodejioak:

Before the advent of simplified modes of running business within a virtual environment, the rigour of having to rent a space and pay the never ending fees including 'uncle Sam's' cut is always overwhelming. It's a different case now that you can actually float an online/e-commerce business and run it at the comfort of your home while having to keep your white collar job (If you want to)

While we are being optimistic as startups, it is also necessary to talk about the first challenge any black startup will encounter especially within the tech sector in America. You need to understand you are doing something out of the norm here so you should expect backlashes, just like in any scenario. The common obvious challenges will be getting sidelined by investors even with your million dollar idea (You're not only black you have an accent.), Idea hijack - forget about signing NDAs they tell it to your face that your idea sucks but few months later someone is running the same idea you talked about (what a coincidence), and also the 'are you sure' look on their faces - No matter how convinced you are about your start up, you are going to prove above and beyond... remember that.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 10:25pm On Aug 21, 2018
My accent was actually an asset for me so.... At least in the circles I did business, Nigerians, our education and smart are highly regarded. I only had one company ever violate an NCND so... It's all in how you present yourself.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Ayodejioak(m): 2:12pm On Aug 22, 2018
Dremca:
Idea hijack I believe will be a big problem mostly for African immigrants startup. The whites will always try to find a way of outsmarting them besides, they have the mindset that Africa is not developed and africans live on trees.
What do you think could be the solution to idea hijacking

It's always ideal to emphasize the ledge Nigeria has ahead of other African countries. Forget about how politicians of Nigeria try so much to shatter that great name in diaspora... Based on my dealings with most Americans, I can tell you they are more comfortable dealing with 'us' because they believe we have the best command of english (oral & written), we are industrious, willing to learn and also very smart.

The common working method to prevent idea hijack for any unique business concept remains:

-Suspense: Don't reveal too much information that they can complete the deal without you and don't reveal too little information that makes your ideas worthless

- Use Patent and Trademarks: Don't be tricked by the name, it's easier and cheaper than it actually sounds, creating a means of concept ownership and interest protection

- Papers: if you don't love to write, hire someone like me (just kidding, nobody does). They sure love documents no matter how little the value it adds. It creates an image of establishment and trust.

This is a very helpful article by Forbes that carefully talks about circumventing idea hijack:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/drewhendricks/2013/11/18/7-simple-ways-you-can-protect-your-idea-from-theft/#445b7001f860

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Dremca(m): 2:58pm On Aug 22, 2018
Have you been racially abuse because of your skin colour in white majority area.
radautoworks:
My accent was actually an asset for me so.... At least in the circles I did business, Nigerians, our education and smart are highly regarded. I only had one company ever violate an NCND so... It's all in how you present yourself.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 3:30pm On Aug 22, 2018
Dremca:
Have you been racially abuse because of your skin colour in white majority area.

No, quite the opposite. If you act 'akata', it's more likely to happen. People who encounter me would not come at me that way. They usually relate to be in awe because I make it clear Africa is more like Wakanda than what they see so they better respect it. Even with the lion questions, it's more of an awe thing.

One thing I get a lot is "I'm glad I met you before other Nigerians if not I wouldn't have believed y'all were so educated/cultured". You realise we have seen a lot more of the world than the typical American and we are way more traveled than they are right? Most have never even left their home state and know nothing about the world outside!

My best friend of 20 years works for the TDCJ with a lot of Nigerians and says if she didn't know me first, she would hate all of us due to the behaviour they display.

Again, it's in how you carry yourself. I can't stand some of our people who walk around all loud on the phone, throwing their feet talking about their mercedes-benz in the middle of the Damn bank at full volume (they know who they are). Just loud for no reason. Or constantly flashing wads of cash. Those are the ones that get racially profiled.

Be professional, embrace your accent with all the royalty and history it represents and NEVER be ashamed to be Nigerian. If you are truly proud, the white people especially are intimidated.

7 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Dremca(m): 3:38pm On Aug 22, 2018
How are Nigerians over there viewed in terms of trust considering the bad image Nigerian cyber criminals portray in the global space.
radautoworks:

No, quite the opposite. If you act 'akata', it's more likely to happen. People who encounter me would not come at me that way. They usually relate to be in awe because I make it clear Africa is more like Wakanda than what they see so they better respect it. Even with the lion questions, it's more of an awe thing.

One thing I get a lot is "I'm glad I met you before other Nigerians if not I wouldn't have believed y'all were so educated/cultured". You realise we have seen a lot more of the world than the typical American and we are way more traveled than they are right? Most have never even left their home state and know nothing about the world outside!

My best friend of 20 years works for the TDCJ with a lot of Nigerians and says if she didn't know me first, she would hate all of us due to the behaviour they display.

Again, it's in how you carry yourself. I can't stand some of our people who walk around all loud on the phone, throwing their feet talking about their mercedes-benz in the middle of the Damn bank at full volume (they know who they are). Just loud for no reason. Or constantly flashing wads of cash. Those are the ones that get racially profiled.

Be professional, embrace your accent with all the royalty and history it represents and NEVER be ashamed to be Nigerian. If you are truly proud, the white people especially are intimidated.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (73) (Reply)

Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! / Port Harcourt Lockdown: What I Saw Around The City Yesterday- PICTURES / The Crystal Service immigration Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.