Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,892 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:06 AM

"Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady (53302 Views)

What Country Abroad Is The Best Where I Can Study A Professional Course? / Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 16, 2018
Sarang:

Food is the least problem here even for homeless sef but then I don't live in the states
u mean food is d least problem of ppl living in the US? Some nairalanders here who say they live in US claim food is difficult to find over therecheesy

1 Like

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Babyvet: 9:26pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:
i know the steps to take because the school has already given me the steps of what i need to do . Just two days ago someone on nairaland was claiming that univs in canada refuse to admit international students.he claimed he's a resident in canada. But at d time i went to my former school to pay for d delivery of transcript ..dat was around April. I met a colleague who also came for an issue and she told me she was admission to study nursing in a canadian college. Based on what d moniker on nl said 2 days ago i had to whatsap my mom's colleague who is living and working in canada if its true dat canada has shut off its schools to international students. He replied by telling me dat some schools in canada only accept foreign students with permanent residency..and dis is quite common with medical schools. But there are also some schools both medical and non medical dat accept international students living outside its shores. This is coming from a family friend dat lives in canada. What i have come to see on nairaland is dat a lot of ppl here lie. Someone that has never travelled out frm his village will be claiming to live in new yorkcheesy. Some here will claim to be related to governors. So anything u hear and see on nairaland should be taken with a pinch of salt. I am not accusing u to be lying of being overseas but its a well know fact that most nairalanders here lie of being outside d country just to oil their egocheesy. So anybody who takes any story here seriously is putting himself on a road of being misled.

Nigerians and their so called friends . These schools can be emailed directly and their admission officer can answer what their requirements are . Yes a good majority of people on Nairaland are living back home but some are not including me. It’s also very easy to decipher who does not live here.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Nobody: 9:35pm On Aug 16, 2018
Babyvet:

Nigerians and their so called friends . These schools can be emailed directly and their admission officer can answer what their requirements are . Yes a good majority of people on Nairaland are living back home but some are not including me. It’s also very easy to decipher who does not live here.
of course they can be emailed directly. I have emailed number of schools requesting for them to give me a break down of their tuition list when i go thru their site and i am unable to understand d list they put down.they promptly email u back and give u the list in detailed form. Now before i started applying i did recall i was adviced by some ppl dat i shouldnt bother applying..dat if they saw ur location is frm nigeria they wont answer u...dat foreign countries dont want nigerians coming into their schools and bla bla.maybe if i listened to them i wouldnt have bothered to apply.most times its better u get ur info frm d main source .

1 Like

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Sarang(f): 9:39pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:
u mean food is d least problem of ppl living in the US? Some nairalanders here who say they live in US claim food is difficult to find over therecheesy

I live in Canada and food is freaking cheap!! The cheapest thing here actually and am sure it's same in the U.S.. if someone can't afford food here, what then can he/she afford.. leave those ones jaree

1 Like

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 9:39pm On Aug 16, 2018
Sarang:

I don't know about USA but here, yes anyone can go to a food bank.. do you live in the US or are you using microscope wink

Aunty, which country is your "here" o? I never said anyone cannot receive food stamps or go to a food bank or whatever you call it; what I am saying is, do you know the implication of receiving such benefits as a non-immigrant, especially one who is on a student visa? Do you know how receiving such public benefits can come back to haunt those trying to renew their visas or adjust status?

And what if I don't live in the US and just using microscope? Does that invalidate any fact I have stated on this thread?
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Sarang(f): 9:42pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

Aunty, which country is your "here" o? I never said anyone cannot receive food stamps or go to a food bank or whatever you call it; what I am saying is, do you know the implication of receiving such benefits as a non-immigrant, especially one who is on a student visa? Do you know how receiving such public benefits can come back to haunt those trying to renew their visas or adjust status?

And what if I don't live in the US and just using microscope? Does that invalidate any fact I have stated on this thread?

Here is Canada and here there is no record at the food bank, no implication. I volunteer there and ate there.I am a student and I can eat there anytime I want
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 9:44pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:
Oya, I challenge you to mention the name of one nairalander on this thread who said food is difficult to find in the US. What we are telling you is that being in the US as a non-immigrant means that you must be able to cater for yourself adequately. When you all those US citizens and permanent residents receiving food stamps, don't just rush to join them. You're different, man. You don't want to be seen as a public charge here. In this Donald Trump era, this can have severe implications on you. You wey go soon come here on student visa, instead make you relax and learn, you dey do gra gra dey compare yourself with immigrants.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 9:49pm On Aug 16, 2018
Sarang:

Here is Canada and here there is no record at the food bank, no implication. I volunteer there and ate there.I am a student and I can eat there anytime I want

Not everything requires records. If you go to a place where records are not taken, good for you. But one has to be smart and very observant in all things. I have volunteered at a guadalupe center where I served foods to some american indians so i know what you are talking about. Since we were the ones serving them, we had to eat with them and even take pictures. What I'm just trying to emphasize on this thread is that non-immigrants, especially those on student visas, should stop thinking that life in America will be for them what it is for immigrants. These are two completely different scenarios that should not be juxtaposed. The original twitter OP of this thread was a non-immigrant who came to the US on a student visa, the same process many here are trying to follow, so they need to learn from her, and not compare themselves with some privileged kids.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

Oya, I challenge you to mention the name of one nairalander on this thread who said food is difficult to find in the US. What we are telling you is that being in the US as a non-immigrant means that you must be able to cater for yourself adequately. When you all those US citizens and permanent residents receiving food stamps, don't just rush to join them. You're different, man. You don't want to be seen as a public charge here. In this Donald Trump era, this can have severe implications on you. You wey go soon come here on student visa, instead make you relax and learn, you dey do gra gra dey compare yourself with immigrants.
oh food is no more difficult for immigrants to get in the USA?
ok oo

1 Like

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 9:57pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:

oh food is no more difficult for immigrant to get in the USA?
ok oo

I don't know what you mean, but food is difficult to get everywhere in the world, and food is easy to get everywhere in the world. If you know, you know. dey waste your data dey post pictures upandan, later una go talk sey money no dey for naija

2 Likes

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Sarang(f): 9:58pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

Not everything requires records. If you go to a place where records are not taken, good for you. But one has to be smart and very observant in all things. I have volunteered at a guadalupe center where I served foods to some american indians so i know what you are talking about. Since we were the ones serving them, we had to eat with them and even take pictures. What I'm just trying to emphasize on this thread is that non-immigrants, especially those on student visas, should stop thinking that life in America will be for them what it is for immigrants. These are two completely different scenarios that should not be juxtaposed. The original twitter OP of this thread was a non-immigrant who came to the US on a student visa, the same process many here are trying to follow, so they need to learn from her, and not compare themselves with some privileged kids.

It's not the same here.. period!
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 10:00pm On Aug 16, 2018
Sarang:

It's not the same here.. period!

Good to know. But rude manner to end a sentence tho
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Babyvet: 10:07pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:
of course they can be emailed directly. I have emailed number of schools requesting for them to give me a break down of their tuition list when i go thru their site and i am unable to understand d list they put down.they promptly email u back and give u the list in detailed form. Now before i started applying i did recall i was adviced by some ppl dat i shouldnt bother applying..dat if they saw ur location is frm nigeria they wont answer u...dat foreign countries dont want nigerians coming into their schools and bla bla.maybe if i listened to them i wouldnt have bothered to apply.most times its better u get ur info frm d main source .

U got school admission , so now you need to worry about funds and getting student visa.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Nobody: 10:13pm On Aug 16, 2018
Babyvet:

U got school admission , so now you need to worry about funds and getting student visa.
i wouldnt have applied if the funds werent there guy. Who goes to a farm without carrying a matchet. I think both u and yemiosibanjo if there is so terrible u guys can always come back. Buhari d other day was saying something about nigerians abroad who want to come back home to come back home. Home is open for u all oocheesy
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by maternal: 10:22pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

Any sane person would take their chances as a student in the U.S than stay in naija. It's America, if she puts her mind to it she can legalize herself eventually. I know people in worse situation who have legalized themselves in the U.S. Though Trump and his ICE team are making things much harder. The fact is this woman is a liar and exaggerating things. The Mexicans can show her how to get a job without paper.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by baby124: 10:24pm On Aug 16, 2018
trapQ:
Girl don't act like you know it all. I know exactly what my friend does and she's 100% legit. There is always a way where there seems none. I'm not a novice and have much travel experience to know these things. There are so many things you can do to earn legit in America which don't involve full time or off campus jobs. Even here in Nigeria you have people crying for jobs but thousands of opportunities abound which they're blinded to.
Goodluck with that o! See your fantastic thinking. If only it was that easy.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by baby124: 10:27pm On Aug 16, 2018
Babyvet:

I agree with some of the stuff your saying but some of it is incorrect. You don't need be a citizen to get student loans. Green card holders can get federal aid and subsidized loans through FASFA. International students can get students loans, below is a link that explains it better.

https://www.iefa.org/international-student-loans
International students cannot get loans in the IS my dear. That is why they ask you to ensure you have enough money for your study. They will not risk an international student running with their money after their education is done which is what a lot of students will do as the fees is not brand. I went through the system so you can take it to the bank. There may be scholarships but that is as much financial aid as international students can get. I don’t know about international organizations but within the US, you can’t get a loan.

1 Like

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 10:32pm On Aug 16, 2018
maternal:

Any sane person would take their chances as a student in the U.S than stay in naija.
One thing about taking your chances in life is that, you either win or lose (forget the "learn" cliche). If you do all you can and win, good for you! You become a hero. Everyone becomes your friend. If you lose, trust me, you are on your own. Even your friends will disown you. People have tried it and pulled through, people have also failed. We hear of deportation everyday. People trying to pull these types of feats should learn from people like the OP instead of calling her a liar. In the end, this is what will happen if you move to America as a student without money to support yourself: if you make it, people will call you brave for making such a courageous move, if you fail, people will call you stupid for making such a foolish move. We live in a world full of asslickers. One thing tho, while the end justifies the means, if you try to make to through illegal means, there is no assurance that it will not end up catching up with you, even years after you may have acquired citizenship. What goes round comes round.

maternal:
It's America, if she puts her mind to it she can legalize herself eventually. I know people in worse situation who have legalized themselves in the U.S. Though Trump and his ICE team are making things much harder. The fact is this woman is a liar and exaggerating things. The Mexicans can show her how to get a job without paper.

I repeat, if you think you can always cheat the system and do things illegally, there is no assurance that it will not catch up with you some day. You may be lucky to escape, but even smarter people get caught sometimes. It's up to you.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 10:34pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:
i wouldnt have applied if the funds werent there guy. Who goes to a farm without carrying a matchet. I think both u and yemiosibanjo if there is so terrible u guys can always come back. Buhari d other day was saying something about nigerians abroad who want to come back home to come back home. Home is open for u all oocheesy

Good for you that you already have your funds figured out. I will be more than happy to receive you as soon as you land here.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 10:35pm On Aug 16, 2018
baby124:

Goodluck with that o! See your fantastic thinking. If only it was that easy.

He has not even told us what his friend does that is 100% legit. I'm still waiting to hear that, so the not-so-smart ones like me can learn
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by maternal: 10:36pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

One thing about taking your chances in life is that, you either win or lose (forget the "learn" cliche). If you do all you can and win, good for you! You become a hero. Everyone becomes your friend. If you lose, trust me, you are on your own. Even your friends will disown you. People have tried it and pulled through, people have also failed. We hear of deportation everyday. People trying to pull these types of feats should learn from people like the OP instead of calling her a liar. In the end, this is what will happen if you move to America as a student without money to support yourself: if you make it, people will call you brave for making such a courageous move, if you fail, people will call you stupid for making such a foolish move. We live in a world full of asslickers. One thing tho, while the end justifies the means, if you try to make to through illegal means, there is no assurance that it will not end up catching up with you, even years after you may have acquired citizenship. What goes round comes round.

I repeat, if you think you can always cheat the system and do things illegally, there is no assurance that it will not catch up with you some day. You may be lucky to escape, but even smarter people get caught sometimes. It's up to you.

Getting out of naija will never be seen as a foolish move regardless of how it turns out.

3 Likes

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 10:37pm On Aug 16, 2018
maternal:

Getting out of naija will never be seen as a foolish move regardless of how it turns out.

Really? Even when you go without funds, fall out of status, marry for a green card but get caught, and get deported! I like people with your kind of die-hard mindset.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by maternal: 10:43pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

Really? Even when you go without funds, fall out of status, marry for a green card but get caught, and get deported! I like people with your kind of die-hard mindset.

Yes. That x years of sanity would be worth it. I guess the alternative of living in an insane country and dying broke is better ? The fact you can't comprehend this mindset is obvious you live in America.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Babyvet: 10:50pm On Aug 16, 2018
baby124:

International students cannot get loans in the IS my dear. That is why they ask you to ensure you have enough money for your study. They will not risk an international student running with their money after their education is done which is what a lot of students will do as the fees is not brand. I went through the system so you can take it to the bank. There may be scholarships but that is as much financial aid as international students can get. I don’t know about international organizations but within the US, you can’t get a loan.

Yes they can get student loans , click on the damn link and it would explain it to you. As you will read , they need a co-signer.

1 Like

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 10:51pm On Aug 16, 2018
maternal:

Yes. That x years of sanity would be worth it. I guess the alternative of living in an insane country and dying broke is better ? The fact you can't comprehend this mindset is obvious you live in America.

Once you fall out of status in America, you fall out of sanity. That situation can be worse than living in Nigeria. Take for example, you fall out of status then fall sick or get involved in an accident, you are scared to even approach a hospital, because that makes it easy for you to get caught due to social security number. Do you call that sanity? How is it sane to have to run from the police all day?

1 Like

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Babyvet: 10:51pm On Aug 16, 2018
lefulefu:

First get to your destination first before you run your mouth. Did you see me complaining about America ? Learn to read properly.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Beautyaddy: 10:54pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

Lol!....Quit being pessimistic!

Why would anyone want to just marry just for green card when there's a high chance the person will be detected

One can marry for love also but with the person who so happens to be able to file for him/her.

Unless the person speaks out that one is marrying for green card there is no way anyone can detect it even with the professional visa officers.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 11:01pm On Aug 16, 2018
Beautyaddy:

Lol!....Quit being pessimistic!

When did painting a scenario of what happens as a fact in our world become pessimism?

Beautyaddy:
Why would anyone want to just marry just for green card when there's a high chance the person will be detected

Are you saying that people still do not marry for green cards in today's world?

Beautyaddy:
One can marry for love also but with the person who so happens to be able to file for him/her.

Did I dispute this in any way?

Beautyaddy:
Unless the person speaks out that one is marrying for green card thers is no way anyone can detect it even with the professional visa officers.

Did you actually comprehend that the picture I was painting was that of a person who has fallen out of status and is desperately struggling to salvage his/her situation as quickly as possible, and knowing that the only solution is to get married, he or she gets married for the obvious reason? Are you saying this situation doesn't occur in the US or what? Or are you saying travelling to the US for studies knowing fully well that you have no money to bank on is not one of the causes of this situation?

1 Like

Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Beautyaddy: 11:01pm On Aug 16, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

Once you fall out of status in America, you fall out of sanity. That situation can be worse than living in Nigeria. Take for example, you fall out of status then fall sick or get involved in an accident, you are scared to even approach a hospital, because that makes it easy for you to get caught due to social security number. Do you call that sanity? How is it sane to have to run from the police all day?

You are over exaggerating things for real.

Go and google the number of illegal immigrants living presently in the US and how long they have been living with such illegal status they run into millions. As long as they do not go into any type of fraud case and criminal offence then no one will bother them.

One of the things most illegal immigrants might be short changing themslves is with getting some government funds and not being able to travel freely to other countries and return back to the US.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 16, 2018
Babyvet:

First get to your destination first before you run your mouth. Did you see me complaining about America ? Learn to read properly.
abeg buzz off
nigga be feeling full of himself
u could be in one area in nigeria claiming u overseas
is it not nairaland again?
rubbish
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by baby124: 11:10pm On Aug 16, 2018
Babyvet:

Yes they can get student loans , click on the damn link and it would explain it to you. As you will read , they need a co-signer.
Well... when I was in school that was not available. I have looked into the organization that owns it and it doesn’t look professional but who knows. I wonder how many citizens will be willing to co-sign on a loan for a non-citizen when the gbese will be on their head if the non-citizen runs away. Not a small gbese at all o. Most especially when the chances of getting a job after school as a non-citizen or green card holder is very low. Very low chance of paying back.
Re: "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady by yemiosinbajo: 11:13pm On Aug 16, 2018
Beautyaddy:

You are over exaggerating things for real.

Go and google the number of illegal immigrants living presently in the US and how long they have been living with such illegal status they run into millions. As long as they do not go into any type of fraud case and criminal offence then no one will bother them.

One of the things most illegal immigrants might be short changing themslves is with getting some government funds and no being able to travel freely to other countries and return back to the US.

Let us assume that I am indeed exaggerating. Will you be humble enough to accept that you are actually underestimating the impact of being illegal in America? What joy do you derive from being in America when you cannot go visit your family in Nigeria or even move near the border? How do you feel living in fear everyday, knowing that you cannot get an education or apply for a good job? How do you feel when your younger brother in Nigeria secures admission to a good school in the US with scholarship, but is denied a visa because you, his older sibling, went there and turned illegal (family history)? How do you feel when you have to hide from the cops daily in order not to be caught? How do you feel when an employer refuses to pay you your wages, but you cannot do anything because you know you are illegal? How do you feel when you hold fake IDs and social security numbers daily, all because you need to survive? How do you feel when you hear that your mum back home suffered a terrible illness, or your sister just got married, but you cannot even visit them for a minute, even if you have the funds?

Let us not underestimate the physical and psychological impacts things like this can have on a person. For the die-hard, strong-hearted people here, things like these may mean nothing to them. But to me, it does. I would rather stay in Nigeria than live such a life here.

Having said that, did you just say that no one will bother them if they do not go into any type of fraud? What is working without authorization in the US? Is that not a fraud? Will an illegal person not have to resort to working without authorization, or how will such a person survive? Will they not have to make fake IDs and fake SSNs just to get these jobs? Aren't these frauds? Will they be spared if they get caught? What exactly are you trying to say?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

My Trip To Kainji Lake National Park And Kainji Dam / ₦250k Fare: Lagos To Anambra/Asaba Flight Almost Empty (Video) / Do You Regret Going Abroad With Your Spouse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.