Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,821 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:26 PM

'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local (38401 Views)

Lady Denied Job For Being Too Short / Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Is ‘ghetto’ / “Don’t Come With Charms”, Oil Company Says In Job Test Invite. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by EmagNig(m): 8:50am On Aug 16, 2018
A woman has been denied the opportunity to get a job with a health company after the company believed her name sounds too local

The woman, Hermeisha Robinson, made this known on Monday, August 13, 2018, with a Facebook post.

Robinson claimed in her post on Facebook that she received an email from Mantality Health denying her of a job she applied for because her name was “ghetto.”

Hermeisha Robinson said in a post, which has since gone viral on Facebook, that she had been rejected from a position she believed she was “well qualified for” by a company because of her name.

She wrote:

I HAVE A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT I AM VERY UPSET BECAUSE TODAY I RECEIVED AN EMAIL ABOUT THIS JOB THAT I APPLIED FOR AS A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE AT Mantality Health

I KNOW IM WELL QUALIFIED FOR THE POSITION AS THEY SEEN ON MY RESUME! THEY DISCRIMINATED AGAINST ME BECAUSE OF MY NAME WHICH THEY CONSIDERED IT TO BE “ghetto” FOR THEIR COMPANY! MY FEELINGS ARE VERY HURT AND THEY EVEN GOT ME SECOND GUESSING MY NAME TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF MY NAME IS REALLY THAT “GHETTO” I WOULD LIKE FOR EVERYONE TO SHARE THIS POST BECAUSE DISCRIMINATION HAS TO STOP!

A screenshot of the email, which Robinson shared in her Facebook post, read:

“Thank you for your interest in careers at Mantality Health. Unfortunately we do not consider candidates that have suggestive ‘ghetto’ names. We wish the best in your career search.”

Robinson said, in her Facebook post, that her feelings are very hurt as a result of the mail.

She further said the mail got her guessing and trying to figure if her name is really ghetto as she found the mail discriminating.

“They discriminated against me because of my name which they considered it to be ‘ghetto’ for their company!

“My feelings are very hurt and they even got me second guessing my name trying to figure out if my name is really that ‘ghetto.

“I would like for everyone to share this post because discrimination has to stop,” she wrote.

While Robinson’s post has continued to get reactions, the owner of the company, reportedly believes a former employee is behind the email.

Mantality Health's owner, Kevin Meuret told local media that company has since filed police reports to St. Louis County after it was found out that Robinson was one of nearly 20 applicants who received the email.

https://lailasnews.com/woman-denied-job-as-company-says-her-name-sounds-too-local/

Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:54am On Aug 16, 2018
Orisisri something.....

Make dem come area come hear name now.
Na headache go pursue them!

OkaNaUbe:

The name sound 'phone-ish' na.
They haven't heard names like: Ugborikoko, Igbavgboa, ...grin
Lol cheesy wink.
Naso......wetin be dat Ali BABA name too sef?!

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by dingbang(m): 9:00am On Aug 16, 2018
What sort of fake news is this.. Mantality heath

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by Issakendrick: 11:38am On Aug 16, 2018
dingbang:
What sort of fake news is this.. Mantality heath
Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by KingLennon(m): 1:27pm On Aug 16, 2018
Her name is ok to me. If this is true then no Nigerian will be employed by that company grin....

4 Likes

Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by 1zynnvn(m): 1:28pm On Aug 16, 2018
Atleast they Gave you a reason, tho it's a stupid one.

1 Like

Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by JonnyConnection: 1:28pm On Aug 16, 2018
If you are dragging your late brother's properties with his wife and kids, and you are hiding under tradition and culture to perpetuate such a wicked act, you are mad and you have no one to tell you.

If you are indirectly supporting that, I pray for you to receive sense.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by kirkwood: 1:28pm On Aug 16, 2018
Shhhhittyy people everywhere.

Which names sound more local than Obama or Jeff Bezos

She should sue those folks right away.

Most times, people swallow shitt because they want jobs.

These companies were actually started by people who started from nothing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by babyfaceafrica: 1:29pm On Aug 16, 2018
lies
Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by IamAirforce1: 1:29pm On Aug 16, 2018
She even look local

1 Like

Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by SEONaijaExpert: 1:29pm On Aug 16, 2018
Will the name affect the company's annual revenue or make them bankrupt?

1 Like

Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by cityofindustry: 1:29pm On Aug 16, 2018
May not be fake ... very possible ... Jordan will understand the power of social media shortly
Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by Avangard(m): 1:30pm On Aug 16, 2018
This one weak me ooo
Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 1:30pm On Aug 16, 2018
Bill Cosby warned them but they decided to focus on his character rather than his message

1 Like

Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by erico2k2(m): 1:30pm On Aug 16, 2018
EmagNig:
A woman has been denied the opportunity to get a job with a health company after the company believed her name sounds too local

The woman, Hermeisha Robinson, made this known on Monday, August 13, 2018, with a Facebook post.

Robinson claimed in her post on Facebook that she received an email from Mantality Health denying her of a job she applied for because her name was “ghetto.”

Hermeisha Robinson said in a post, which has since gone viral on Facebook, that she had been rejected from a position she believed she was “well qualified for” by a company because of her name.

She wrote:

I HAVE A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT I AM VERY UPSET BECAUSE TODAY I RECEIVED AN EMAIL ABOUT THIS JOB THAT I APPLIED FOR AS A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE AT Mantality Health

I KNOW IM WELL QUALIFIED FOR THE POSITION AS THEY SEEN ON MY RESUME! THEY DISCRIMINATED AGAINST ME BECAUSE OF MY NAME WHICH THEY CONSIDERED IT TO BE “ghetto” FOR THEIR COMPANY! MY FEELINGS ARE VERY HURT AND THEY EVEN GOT ME SECOND GUESSING MY NAME TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF MY NAME IS REALLY THAT “GHETTO” I WOULD LIKE FOR EVERYONE TO SHARE THIS POST BECAUSE DISCRIMINATION HAS TO STOP!

A screenshot of the email, which Robinson shared in her Facebook post, read:

“Thank you for your interest in careers at Mantality Health. Unfortunately we do not consider candidates that have suggestive ‘ghetto’ names. We wish the best in your career search.”

Robinson said, in her Facebook post, that her feelings are very hurt as a result of the mail.

She further said the mail got her guessing and trying to figure if her name is really ghetto as she found the mail discriminating.

“They discriminated against me because of my name which they considered it to be ‘ghetto’ for their company!

“My feelings are very hurt and they even got me second guessing my name trying to figure out if my name is really that ‘ghetto.

“I would like for everyone to share this post because discrimination has to stop,” she wrote.

While Robinson’s post has continued to get reactions, the owner of the company, reportedly believes a former employee is behind the email.

Mantality Health's owner, Kevin Meuret told local media that company has since filed police reports to St. Louis County after it was found out that Robinson was one of nearly 20 applicants who received the email.

https://lailasnews.com/woman-denied-job-as-company-says-her-name-sounds-too-local/

FAKE NEWS.
Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by bobokeshington: 1:30pm On Aug 16, 2018
Nothing wey we no go hear and see for this Buhari regime. Only God can help us!
Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by Nobody: 1:30pm On Aug 16, 2018
I don't know what to say. Just take heart. Its not your company.
Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by pweshboi(m): 1:31pm On Aug 16, 2018
Shoooo if its by name... So many Nigerians no go see work O. Height of discrimination though

1 Like

Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by chefcas: 1:31pm On Aug 16, 2018
sorry dear... kukuma b abbreviating it cry
Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by Fatherofdragons: 1:33pm On Aug 16, 2018
Fake news or not, this African Americans to dey answer yeye names.

like,
Tanisha,
laquiya,
vandasha,
radasha,
jacquiya
Latifah
Shaniqua
Latoya
Laquisha
La’Kisha
La’Tanya
Rohandra
Bon’Quisha
Sha’Tanya
Toprameneesha
La’Quishria
Bonifa
Shataniana
Levondia
Bufanaquishria
La’Quishraniqua
Barbeesha
Mo’Nique
Abduiniana
Fo’Landra
Kisha
Bon’Qui Qui
V’Lanta’la’mana’ma’nisha
Sha’Nay Nay
Tay Tay
Da’Quonde
La’Trice
Deedra
Tramicia
De’Lanice
Ka’Likatifrianiqua
Sha’Londria
Sha’Quond
Elephantisha
La’Quaysha
Guuuuuurrrrrrllllll
Qua’Lifriaqui’Sha’Niquia
Cornbreesha
Congratulashayla
Barackish
Obamaniqua
Koolaidria
Spongebobeeshia
Clitorisandrea
Fa’Nay Nay
Comptonia
Harlemisha
Beetovenice
Watermelondrea
Cellularphoniqua
Unidastazovamerikaaliqua
Alejandrisha
King’Kong’Quisha
Fri’Chickenisha
Colla’Greeniqua
Grapedrankisha
Africanishaniqua
Que’Shayda
La’Taniana’Bo’Vanashrianiqualiquanice

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by Willexmania(m): 1:33pm On Aug 16, 2018
A
Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by eleojo23: 1:33pm On Aug 16, 2018
Then this people cannot employ anybody from Africa because our names eh.. na okokobioko.grin

3 Likes

Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 16, 2018
post=70321450:
Orisisri something.....

Make dem come area come hear name now.
Na headache go pursue them!

2 Likes

Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by eleojo23: 1:36pm On Aug 16, 2018
OkaNaUbe:

This one na gunshot sound be this o grin

5 Likes

Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:38pm On Aug 16, 2018
OkaNaUbe:

Lol cheesy, na so
Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by Funkybabee(f): 1:41pm On Aug 16, 2018
Nigeria wahala eh
Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by Originalsly: 1:41pm On Aug 16, 2018
Fake news....no company will ever send such email....that will be slam dunk case for a law suit.
Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by Harry00(m): 1:44pm On Aug 16, 2018
this is not ordinary
Re: 'Ghetto Name': Woman Denied Job As Company Says Her Name Sounds Too Local by peluman(m): 1:46pm On Aug 16, 2018
Originalsly:
Fake news....no company will ever send such email....that will be slam dunk case for a law suit.
I wonder o

(1) (2) (Reply)

Apply For KPMG Graduate Trainee Programme 2022/2023 / FRSC 2018 Massive Recruitment: See Full Details / Sterling Bank Calls For Test, Who Else Is With Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.