Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,409 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:36 AM

Doing Postgraduate at A Nigerian Private University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Doing Postgraduate at A Nigerian Private University (555 Views)

Nigerian Private Universities And Their Funny Names / Is Adeleke University, Ede The Most Beautiful Private University In Nigeria? / Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doing Postgraduate at A Nigerian Private University by Welrez(m): 11:39am On Aug 16, 2018
I have scholarship to do postgraduate in a private university of my choice, but I am a bit wary due to tales of discrimination flying all over the place. I would much appreciate if someone enlightens me about how it feels like doing a postgraduate programme in a private university as well as recommend schools with academic pedigree at the postgraduate level. Thanks.
Re: Doing Postgraduate at A Nigerian Private University by HigherEd: 12:27pm On Aug 16, 2018
I would only recommend the following five schools

ABUAD
African University Of Science and Technology
Babcock University
Covenant University
Lagos Business School

Lalasticlala writerights codetemplar

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doing Postgraduate at A Nigerian Private University by Welrez(m): 12:36pm On Aug 16, 2018
HigherEd:
I would only recommend the following five schools

ABUAD
African University Of Science and Technology
Babcock University
Covenant University
Lagos Business School

Lalasticlala writerights codetemplar
Thanks, I appreciate. What about American University of Nigeria, Madonna and Igbinedion? Are they also good for postgraduate? I am considering a school that is close to my place of work.
Re: Doing Postgraduate at A Nigerian Private University by HigherEd: 1:01pm On Aug 16, 2018
Where's your place of work located?

Madonna and Igbinedion are a "No No" for me. One, they aren't reputable, two, they are yet to toughen up their undergraduate offerings not to talk of postgraduate. Lastly, i doubt they even get up to 20 postgraduate students to enroll per year.

AUN is fantastic if you can live in Yola - they've got amazing facilities and faculty.....
Re: Doing Postgraduate at A Nigerian Private University by Welrez(m): 2:24pm On Aug 16, 2018
HigherEd:
Where's your place of work located?

Madonna and Igbinedion are a "No No" for me. One, they aren't reputable, two, they are yet to toughen up their undergraduate offerings not to talk of postgraduate. Lastly, i doubt they even get up to 20 postgraduate students to enroll per year.

AUN is fantastic if you can live in Yola - they've got amazing facilities and faculty.....
Akwa Ibom. I have heard that AUN has fantastic facilities, but it is highly unlikely I will go up north because distance will constitute a problem to me.
Re: Doing Postgraduate at A Nigerian Private University by CodeTemplar: 3:05pm On Aug 16, 2018
If OP values his time and wants to avoid the usual "suffer head" associated with Nigerian school lecturers he should go for a school like @HigherEd has suggested. It makes sense for you to gather extra half a million naira and save yourself some 12 or 18 months of unnecessary time wasting.

1 Like

Re: Doing Postgraduate at A Nigerian Private University by Welrez(m): 3:22pm On Aug 16, 2018
CodeTemplar:
If OP values his time and wants to avoid the usual "suffer head" associated with Nigerian school lecturers he should go for a school like @HigherEd has suggested. It makes sense for you to gather extra half a million naira and save yourself some 12 or 18 months of unnecessary time wasting.
I have always seen private universities postgraduate programmes as suspect until I saw that they have a lot of NUC-accredited programmes, which even public schools struggle to get accreditation.
Re: Doing Postgraduate at A Nigerian Private University by CodeTemplar: 3:32pm On Aug 16, 2018
Welrez:
I have always seen private universities postgraduate programmes as suspect until I saw that they have a lot of NUC-accredited programmes, which even public schools struggle to get accreditation.
Good to know you opened your eyes. Most schools are overrated and basking in some imaginary past glory. Open your eyes pal.

(1) (Reply)

Book- Sojourn Of A Nairaland Doctor Trained In The Philippines / 2019 Korean Government Scholarship Program For International Graduate Students / NYSC 2018 BATCH ā€˜Cā€™ Camp Opening Date And Orientation Course.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.