Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,895 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:16 AM

Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? (3492 Views)

The Honda Place Abuja Bills Man N15million To Fix A N4million Honda Civic Coupe / Mercedes-benz Reveals The New 2019 CLA 250 Coupe-like Sedan / N120m 2019 Range Rover SV Coupe Is The Most Luxurious 2-door SUV (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by nurey(m): 12:01pm On Aug 19, 2018
Jakumo:

Memory serves you right. I still own my 2009 CLK550, but the goats generally REFUSE to enter that flagship car unless they are FORCED, which proves that goats are not equipped to appreciate a clean ride when they see one.

the satisfaction I did get when I Zoom pass this relic in a jap disintegrator
Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by Jakumo(m): 12:06pm On Aug 19, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Ah, my favorite car on earth, right beside the Infiniti G35/37. I'm tempted to sell my current car and buy one, even if it's a 2004/2005 model.

What's ownership been like for you so far?

The acceleration of my CLK550 is eerily quiet and deceptively smooth, such that failure to watch the speedometer could have you cruising at illegal speeds in short order, on smooth roads. If you live in the West, a radar detector would be mandatory for a CLK, so as to avoid racking up speeding tickets.

Nigerian roads are far from smooth, so I have never actually wound this car out beyond the fourth gearshift, out of the total seven forward speeds available from its silky-smooth gearbox, whose shifts are barely noticeable even as power is summoned from that 5.5 liter V8 with very light pressure on the go pedal. I look forward to driving this caliber of car on California Interstate 15, that links Riverside County to San Diego southbound, and the high desert due north. That stretch of ten-lane highway is a speed demon's playground, for which these CLK V8s were purpose built in Germany.

If you decide to buy a CLK, then the years to look for would be 2003-2004 for the CLK500, and years 2008 or preferably 2009 for the CLK550.
Avoid years 2005 to 2007 in all CLK variants, because there exist a number of factory defects in the engine and transmission, that were endemic to those verbotten years, and very costly to repair.

Since the fuel economy of a V8-powered CLK is comparable to that recorded for 6-cylinder CLK320 vairiants, your best bet is to go the whole hog and look out for either a 2004 CLK500, or a 2009 CLK550, both of which represent the cream of the crop, with minimal reliability concerns present.

These cars are the ONLY modern Mercedes V8 cruisers that are NOT saddled with that ridiculously complicated and trouble-prone air-suspension, and that was the primary reason I went for the 2009 CLK550 - to experience monstrous engine torque coupled to an old-school, tried-and-tested springs-and-shocks suspension system.

If you choose the "safe" year V8 CLK, your only unusual expense will be for the purchase of new car tires, since this monster wears them a tad faster than lesser chariots.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:13pm On Aug 19, 2018
nurey:

will you eat your shoe if the civic does?

Lol, I know that the Civic Type R hits 300 HP. But there's no Accord on Earth that does 300 HP. The most an Accord has dyno'd is 278 HP, and that's the last-gen V6.
Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:18pm On Aug 19, 2018
Jakumo:

The acceleration of my CLK550 is eerily quiet and deceptively smooth, such that failure to watch the speedometer could have you cruising at illegal speeds in short order, on smooth roads. If you live in the West, a radar detector would be mandatory for a CLK, so as to avoid racking up speeding tickets.

Nigerian roads are far from smooth, so I have never actually wound this car out beyond the fourth gearshift, out of the total seven forward speeds available from its silky-smooth gearbox, whose shifts are barely noticeable even as power is summoned from that 5.5 liter V8 with very light pressure on the go pedal. I look forward to driving this caliber of car on California Interstate 15, that links Riverside County to San Diego. That stretch of ten-lane highway is a speed demon's playground, for which these CLK V8s were purpose built in Germany.

If you decide to buy a CLK, then the years to look for would be 2003-2004 for the CLK500, and years 2008 or preferably 2009 for the CLK550.
Avoid years 2005 to 2007 in all CLK variants, because there exist a number of factory defects in the engine and transmission, that were endemic to those verbotten years, and very costly to repair.

Since the fuel economy of a V8-powered CLK is comparable to that recorded for 6-cylinder CLK320 vairiants, your best bet is to go the whole hog and look out for either a 2004 CLK500, or a 2009 CLK550, both of which represent the cream of the crop, with minimal reliability concerns present.

These cars are the ONLY modern Mercedes V8 cruisers that are NOT saddled with that ridiculously complicated and trouble-prone air-suspension, and that was the primary reason I went for the 2009 CLK550 - to experience monstrous engine torque coupled to an old-school, tried-and-tested springs-and-shocks suspension system.

If you choose the "safe" year V8 CLK, your only unusual expense will be for the purchase of new car tires, since this monster wears them a tad faster than lesser chariots.

Ah, excellently put, sir! Sadly, I find that I'd have issues dealing with the costs of a MY09 CLK. Considering the balance shaft issues MY05/06 are saddled with, I may have to make do with the MY04. Although I'd much rather have a facelift model due to the improved infotainment technology....c'est la vie.

Speaking of balance shaft issues, I'm led to believe the M273 V8 doesn't have them. What, then, is the issue with MY06/07? Air suspensions?

While the 2004 CLK 320 may be the cheaper option, I think I may start saving up for the purchase of a CLK500 as you advised. Fuel economy probably isn't much worse than that of my current 3.3L V6 jalopy.

I live right next to an impressively clean stretch of interstate highway that goes on for about 10 miles. It's not much but it's always fun to go on and flex my automotive muscles, and I think the CLK 500 would cherish that for breakfast every day.
Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Aug 19, 2018
chuka5000:

Honda accord coupe pack a lot more horse power than the sedan, use eod as a case study

Impossible that any Honda product has a performance difference between versions of same year.

What year are we talking about?
Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 19, 2018
Jakumo:

Nigerian roads are far from smooth, so I have never actually wound this car out beyond the fourth gearshift, out of the total seven forward speeds available from its silky-smooth gearbox, whose shifts are barely noticeable even as power is summoned from that 5.5 liter V8 with very light pressure on the go pedal. I look forward to driving this caliber of car on California Interstate 15, that links Riverside County to San Diego southbound, and the high desert due north. That stretch of ten-lane highway is a speed demon's playground, for which these CLK V8s were purpose built in Germany.

There’s nothing specifically spectacular about this secretary model Mercedes but in any case..

1 Like

Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:56pm On Aug 19, 2018
Casual blasphemy.
Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by Jakumo(m): 2:10pm On Aug 19, 2018
EgunMogaji:

There’s nothing specifically spectacular about this secretary model Mercedes but in any case..

I know I must have mis-read the words of Egun Agba that I copied above.

I know I did not hear him refer to the guided missile CLK 550 as a mere lowly "secretaries' car".

If this is indeed the opinion of our Egun Agba, then I can only offer some hasty sacrifices to Ogun, the God of Iron, in the forest during the next full moon at midnight, so that no offense is taken over these words of blasphemy that were mistakenly typed on this fateful day.

On a more serious note, that picture of the world on fire, taken along the freeway, is truly frightening, especially when one considers the fact that global warming is intensifying so rapidly right now, in our own lifetimes. Anyone with kids has even greater cause for concern, over how the next generation will survive these climate extremes mother nature has been lobbing at the planet over the past decade or so, all of which are predicted to get worse still. Used to go night snow-skiing at the Mountain High resort near the town of Wrightwood, not far from where the above picture was taken. That entire area was ravaged by fire outbreaks just last year, if I am not mistaken.

I browse the Saturday LA Times every week, and drool over those uber-exclusive homes that fill that weekend real estate edition, yet now, ironically, most, if not all of those ritzy, "leafy" neighborhoods, from Brentwood to Belair to Beverly Hills and Palos Verdes, on down into Orange County's enclaves of the wealthy, all face equal and sometimes greater fire risk, as do the sprawling working-class suburbs that make up much the southland.

It is enough to drive a man to fire up his CLK for a spin.

Oga OP apologies for the digression, but as you know, to conform with the Nairaland Car Forum Unofficial Regulations, due homage MUST be paid to Egun Agba at all times, even when he has innocently offended Ogun the God of Iron, by wantonly DISSING my car live and before a global audience, committing a grievous misdemeanor which I am determined to forgive as early as the year 2020.

1 Like

Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by AutoElectNG: 4:20pm On Aug 19, 2018
Jakumo:

I know I did not hear him refer to the guided missile CLK 550 as a mere lowly "secretaries' car".

If this is indeed the opinion of our Egun Agba, then I can only offer some hasty sacrifices to Ogun, the God of Iron, in the forest during the next full moon at midnight, so that no offense is taken over these words of blasphemy that were mistakenly typed on this fateful day.

On a more serious note, that picture of the world on fire, taken along the freeway, is truly frightening, especially when one considers the fact that global warming is intensifying so rapidly right now, in our own lifetimes. Anyone with kids has even greater cause for concern, over how the next generation will survive these climate extremes mother nature has been lobbing at the planet over the past decade or so, all of which are predicted to get worse still. Used to go night snow-skiing at the Mountain High resort near the town of Wrightwood, not far from where the above picture was taken. That entire area was ravaged by fire outbreaks just last year, if I am not mistaken.

I browse the Saturday LA Times every week, and drool over those uber-exclusive homes that fill that weekend real estate edition, yet now, ironically, most, if not all of those ritzy, "leafy" neighborhoods, from Brentwood to Belair to Beverly Hills and Palos Verdes, on down into Orange County's enclaves of the wealthy, all face equal and sometimes greater fire risk, as do the sprawling working-class suburbs that make up much the southland.

Oga OP apologies for the digression, but as you know, to conform with the Nairaland Car Forum Unofficial Regulations, due homage MUST be paid to Egun Agba at all times, even when he has innocently offended Ogun the God of Iron, by wantonly DISSING my car live and before a global audience, committing a grievous misdemeanor which I am determined to forgive as early as the year 2020.

I love your exotic English and the mental images you invoke with such reckless abandon!

A. J. Cronin taught me that English does not need to be plain...it can spiced up and ever since then, my spoken and written English stopped being pedestrian

Please kindly share if you don't mind your literary influences... I would love to devour them as well...so I can hone this craft to be as good as yours

And the clear undertone of diplomacy in the face of an unexpected backhanded compliment is a lesson that should not be lost on all of us here who take well-meaning criticism/alternative points of view very badly

2 Likes

Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by divinelove(m): 5:37pm On Aug 19, 2018
Vested:
I was just doing a little survey of my own , though orally , and I discovered that most Nigerians do not like coupe cars?

In fact, used coupe cars are usually sold far lower than their used sibling with 4 doors for most cars although there are exceptions.

Why is this prevalent in Nigeria, especially when you do remember that coupes are usually fun to drive and in some cases have more horses to burn than their 4-door siblings?

Let's share opinions and thoughts on that.

Gazzuzz, Ikenna351, Diportivo, kingreign, Egunmogaji , nurey , valarinz and all other demeanors , please your inputs will be well appreciated.

CC: Marpol , Lalasticlala

Most Nigerians buy car to move from point A to point B with as many passengers as possible. I hate a car DT a passenger in front will have to get down before those at the back can enter pure nonsense or a car without back seat. Very few of us keep more than a car at a time
Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 19, 2018
divinelove:

Most Nigerians buy car to move from point A to point B with as many passengers as possible. I hate a car DT a passenger in front will have to get down before those at the back can enter pure nonsense or a car without back seat

So you'll refuse these car abi?

1 Like

Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Aug 19, 2018
Jakumo:

It's okay. These things happen.

I once owned a lovely Mazda Miata that I loved. I was shattered when one of my automotive friends that I respected asked why I am driving "Hair Dresser" car.

I promptly sold the car.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by radautoworks: 6:30pm On Aug 19, 2018
Jakumo:

ROFL
Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by radautoworks: 6:33pm On Aug 19, 2018
Simple. We dey born pikin like crazy. Try moving a family of 5 in a couple

1 Like

Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by radautoworks: 6:36pm On Aug 19, 2018
EgunMogaji:

It's okay. These things happen.

I once owned a lovely Mazda Miata that I loved. I was shattered when one of my automotive friends that I respected asked why I am driving "Hair Dresser" car.

I promptly sold the car.

Me too! Miata then del sol. I loved them both but yes o! Na insult person dey chop. I only got rid of the del sol because I got pregnant with my first born.

1 Like

Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Aug 19, 2018
radautoworks:

Me too! Miata then del sol. I loved them both but yes o! Na insult person dey chop. I only got rid of the del sol because I got pregnant with my first born.

I looked at Del Sols back then too but I am a staunch RWD guy.

1 Like

Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by dasphinx1(m): 9:31pm On Aug 19, 2018
EgunMogaji:

So you'll refuse these car abi?

Ha!!! Sir Egun.... Well, based on our climes here, for me to have a Wraith, that means i am affluent enough to drive and maintain this said behemoth. Meaning i do not have to come down for someone to step into the back seat. Shey won ya werey ni? grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? by Vested(m): 8:59am On Aug 24, 2018
Sorry guys.
I was banned about 7 days ago.
Nice opinions raised though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Hook-up Part II - Lagos Meets Ibadan / Impacts Of Salvaged Cars To Human / Raising My Toyota Corolla Sports

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.