Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,732 members, 7,806,003 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:00 AM

We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage (31810 Views)

Pay Us Our January Salaries, Nigerian Federal Workers Lament / Wike Mocks Buhari Over Insecurity: You Were Not Elected Just To Obtain Loans / Osinbajo, Others Meeting On Minimum Wage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Newsmania: 7:08pm On Aug 16, 2018
Governors under the auspices of the Nigerian Governors Forum (NGF) say they were not voted into power to pay salaries alone but also to provide good roads, electricity, education and other necessary amenities.

The Chairman of the Nigerian Governors Forum, Abdulaziz Yari, has spoken out on the ongoing negotiation for a new national minimum wage after a meeting of the governors of the 36 states of the federation on Wednesday night in Abuja.

According to Tribune, the Governor of Zamfara state, told reporters that the governors want the national income to be examined over the last 14 years so that its exact position can be determined.
The NGF chairman regretted that states government have been limited to only the payment of salaries and unable to take care of development responsibilities in other sectors such as health, electricity, education, among others.

He said that the governments have no magic to meet the expectations of the people if they do not have the required funds.
On minimum wage, Yari said: “We have a committee of six which represented us in discussions in the committee headed by Labour minister. The committee is yet to give us the final report.

"When they give us the final report, for which they have our mandate to present our position, and the position most likely is to look at the record of up to 14 years.
“For instance, in global practice, in your income, how much are you spending as salary? So that we can start from there. They have given us an interim report, that at the of the federal government level, over 82 per cent is being spent on overhead which cannot move the country forward in terms of infrastructure development and development that we need now.

“So, on our own part, we are saying we are going to look at how our income is trained from our final account from 14 years ago so that we can come up and stay in the middle.
“I don’t think you people voted us for only to pay salaries. You are looking for good roads, electricity, education and others. So, we can’t do magic. It’s only when we have the funds do all those things.”

Speaking against the backdrop of the freezing of Akwa Ibom and Benue states government accounts by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Yari said that even President Muhammadu Buhari will not support the illegalities perpetrated by the agencies.
He said: “We believe strongly that the government of President Muhammadu Buhari will not sit down and supervise this illegality in the system.

“What we are saying is that we all support the government to fight corruption because it is endemic and has suffered the nation for over six decades. Definitely, it was part of what we discussed.
“What we are saying now is that we are going to support the government in terms of what it is doing to fight corruption, but the due process must be respected in whatever action the agencies are going to take in the name of fighting corruption.”

From Zenithnaija.com

More below:

https://zenithnaija.com/we-werent-elected-just-to-pay-salaries-nigerian-governors-on-minimum-wage/

2 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Kyase(m): 7:15pm On Aug 16, 2018
Na true sha....
But Ortom is an idiot......

12 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by seunmsg(m): 7:47pm On Aug 16, 2018
On minimum wage, Yari said: “We have a committee of six which represented us in discussions in the committee headed by Labour minister. The committee is yet to give us the final report.

"When they give us the final report, for which they have our mandate to present our position, and the position most likely is to look at the record of up to 14 years.

I reason with them. It's so hard for many states at the moment to pay 18k minimum wage and labour is now advocating for 56k. How will they cope?

In my opinion, the principle of federalism that we all like talking about should be applied. Each states should be allowed to determine whatever it has the capacity to pay based on negotiations with state chapters of organized labour. If we are to wait till all states concur to the proposed new minimum wage, we may have to wait till eternity. NLC and TUC should conclude negotiations with federal government and let implementation start at the federal level.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by chinjo(m): 7:53pm On Aug 16, 2018
But you have money to send your children to school abroad, your girlfriends travels to Dubai for shopping. God go punish all the Governors and Buhari if they say they can't pay salaries.

137 Likes 5 Shares

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by SolutionMee: 7:59pm On Aug 16, 2018
Reasonable points up there

Most civil servants in Nigeria are too dependent on either their state/federal government

Work ethics shouldn't be like that

People should be exposed that they have to make alternative income

Which in the long run will prevent them from being too dependent on their salary

They can venture into farming, snail breeding, cattle rearing, food hawking and so on

Laziness is when you depend on a single source of income

Laziness is when you depend on your salary alone

It's aftereffect was what makes people to clamor for change and increments of salary

The Governors are trying cuz even when I was the class representative of my class in Harvard University, it wasn't easy controlling the affairs of students in my class. I ended up spending several fees that was meant for my fellow students. And for these Governors to be paying their state workers, they are trying and I really commend them on that.

With the present economic meltdown that recently befell Nigeria, I wasn't expecting the federal government to be discussing about minimum wage

And that's if the workers are even competent enough to deserve one

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by cosmatika(m): 9:13pm On Aug 16, 2018
Ngige said the new minimum wage will start dis August. Hope dey don't want to shift d goal post?

8 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Next2Bezee(m): 9:14pm On Aug 16, 2018
Newsmania:

“I don’t think you people voted us for only to pay salaries. You are looking for good roads, electricity, education and others. So, we can’t do magic. It’s only when we have the funds do all those things.”

Even this is not enough to convince some Nigerians that animals should be kept in zoos and not voted into public office. Good governorship is now magic in Nigeria.

SolutionMee:

The Governors are trying cuz even when I was the class representative of my class in Harvard University, it wasn't easy controlling the affairs of students in my class. I ended up spending several fees that was meant for my fellow students. And for these Governors to be paying their state workers, they are trying and I really commend them on that.

With the present economic meltdown that recently befell Nigeria, I wasn't expecting the federal government to be discussing about minimum wage

It seems that the sense you graduated with is even smaller than the one you were admitted with.

93 Likes 7 Shares

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by VideoExpert(m): 9:15pm On Aug 16, 2018
Lol! And some people are rushing for civil service jobs.

Meanwhile follow my signature
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 16, 2018
Lol.
Wahala dey oh.
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by papijulah: 9:16pm On Aug 16, 2018
SolutionMee:

Most civil servants in Nigeria are too dependent on either their state/federal government

Which in the long run will prevent them from being too dependent on their salary

They can venture into farming, snail breeding, cattle rearing, food hawking and so on

It's aftereffect was what makes people to clamor for change and increments of salary

Are you normal at all?

78 Likes 4 Shares

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Realdeals(m): 9:16pm On Aug 16, 2018
chinjo:
But you have money to send your children to school abroad, your girlfriends travels to Dubai for shopping. God go punish all the Governors and Buhari if they say they can't pay salaries.

And millions to pay TV stations to stream their yeye programmes.

20 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by kaen1317: 9:17pm On Aug 16, 2018
Elected to embezzle, misappropriate, steal and lie

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by labking: 9:18pm On Aug 16, 2018
Minimum wage of a common civil servants in Nigeria is too poor, that's why we have a lot of corrupt personnel in the civil service. You people should do something about it because we are aware of your duties before electing you into the office....

5 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by MichaelRJ(m): 9:19pm On Aug 16, 2018
SolutionMee:

I Been wan say thunder fire you before for you to support the governor's, , but make I keep quiet for now

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by ollyboy009(m): 9:19pm On Aug 16, 2018
Has expected from our Insensitive governors!

1 Like

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by itiswellandwell: 9:19pm On Aug 16, 2018
Hmmm. As people no see any reasonable infrastructural development nko. Channel that money to salary. They wouldn't mind that they are eating their infrastructural development. It's better to be eaten by the citizens than snake swallowing it. Better for the governor sef. Less noise or complain. Everyone is happy!

Cheap s7 edge. Check my signature.

6 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by BafanaBafana: 9:20pm On Aug 16, 2018
Kyase:
Na true sha....
But Ortom is an idiot......
You ba

1 Like

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Bossontop(m): 9:21pm On Aug 16, 2018
undecided
Make una pay salaries first, other things are secondary abii no be with money dem dey take enjoy the other things??

8 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by kulu80(m): 9:21pm On Aug 16, 2018
Issorit
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Ejiphill09(m): 9:21pm On Aug 16, 2018
undecided
The gathering of Vultures.

When it comes to the suppressing of the poor masses they will come together and agree in respective of thier party affiliation, religion and ethnicity.

I pity for all this lazy Nigeria Youths fighting for them including the BMC.

If you die for politicians, you lived a wasted life and deserves pity.

7 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Corrinthians(m): 9:21pm On Aug 16, 2018
Sensational headline.

Next.
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by daveson07: 9:21pm On Aug 16, 2018
SolutionMee:

bross, anything the matter?

4 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Righteousness89(m): 9:22pm On Aug 16, 2018
SolutionMee:

The Cashflow in Nigeria is Enough not to only pay good Salaries but to pay every Graduate a Monthly stipends of at least 15000.

The Common Wealth of the People is in the hands of a few and until we get that Prophet Elijah that will Distribute the Common wealth evenly.... it will be Story...

Libya wasn't as rich as Nigeria and Every Lebanese fed fat until their current wars

11 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by lordswill03: 9:22pm On Aug 16, 2018
Oga simply step aside if you can't pay. Is it your personal money? The electricity you are talking about isn't money they will use to pay for it? All these are flimsy excuses and you should step down for another of you are not capable!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by jembalord: 9:23pm On Aug 16, 2018
But you dont pay the salary before na
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by kurt09(m): 9:24pm On Aug 16, 2018
seunmsg:

I reason with them. It's so hard for many states at the moment to pay 18k minimum wage and labour is now advocating for 56k. How will they cope?

In my opinion, the principle of federalism that we all like talking about should be applied. Each states should be allowed to determine whatever it has the capacity to pay based on negotiations with state chapters of organized labour. If we are to wait till all states concur to the proposed new minimum wage, we may have to wait till eternity. NLC and TUC should conclude negotiations with federal government and let implementation start at the federal level.
You're wrong. They should adopt Anambra model initiated by Peter Obi. Most of the governors have over 3000 aides

2 Likes

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 16, 2018
SolutionMee:

are you sure you are normal?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by Kyase(m): 9:26pm On Aug 16, 2018
BafanaBafana:

You ba
Lol dey guy na big f...
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by jembalord: 9:26pm On Aug 16, 2018
Whatever
Re: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Nigerian Governors On Minimum Wage by iluvdonjazzy: 9:26pm On Aug 16, 2018
but you guys should make salary your priority, because na person wei dey alive na em dey use road, use light, drink water, go school, pay children's school fees etc.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osinbajo, Aides Worshiped Online At Aso Villa Chapel On Sunday / Lekki Toll Gate Rehabilitation Is Ongoing (Pictures) / El-rufai Lied Over Killing Of 66 Kaduna Residents — CAN, NEMA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.