Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,462 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka (1217 Views)

Every Country Has A Breaking Point / Soyinka: FG Must Fight Boko-haram / Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by newmaster(m): 5:59am On Jun 24, 2010
Soyinka: Nigeria is at a breaking point Thursday, 24 June 2010 00:00 Nigerian Compass
APPARENTLY disturbed by the numerous political and economic crises in the country, Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, yesterday told Nigerians that they must be ready to take their destinies in their hands.

Speaking in Lagos during a rally organised by the Save Nigeria Group (SNG) at the Onikan Stadium, Soyinka said Nigeria was at “a breaking point”, and that the people must decide what to do with their future.

He said Nigerians should no longer expect him and a few other activists to continue to risk their lives while they (Nigerians) are lethargic about the way the country is being run by those elected.

Joined by Professor Pat Utomi, Pastor Tunde Bakare, Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, Bisi Akande, Lt-Gen. Alani Akinrinade (rtd.), Malam Nasir el-Rufai, Dele Momodu, Mr. Femi Falana and Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin, among others, Soyinka called on Nigerians to prevail on President Goodluck Jonathan not to use the 2006 voters register to conduct the 2011 general elections.

“Let this be the last time you (Nigerians) will drag me out to talk about voting and election generally; enough of talking, let’s match it with action; don’t bring me out here again to come and tell you to register and vote in any election; enough of talking, just go out there to register and vote.

“It is not enough to sit here and ask for new voters’ registration; we must all insist on how to do it and decide on what to do so that the people in charge of election will listen to you.”

According to him, the register is made up of synthetic names, names of animals and individuals that have long been dead, wondering why such an antiquated record should be used for the 2011 elections.

He described the register as “a condemnable compilation that contains the names of dogs, goats, cows and even dead people. You must decide not to be hoodwinked. You must decide what to do with those who are in charge of the exercise and what you have to carry out in your own behalf and on behalf of your children,” he said.

The Professor of Literature alluded to the post-apartheid era in South Africa, stressing that he would forever recall the elderly Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa dancing on the podium at the United Nations headquarters in New York, the United States.

“Let me remind you about post-apartheid South Africa. There was an incident in the UN that I will never forget. That was Archbishop Desmond Tutu dancing on the podium of the UN. Why was he dancing? He said that at long last and at an age close to 70, he was finally able to vote. When I can vote, that is when I can say that I have fully and completely become a man, a full human being,” Soyinka said, quoting the Archbishop.

On the appointment of Professor Attahiru Jega as the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), he said: “My final word is a message to both Professor Jega and the President. I know Jega, I trust him, I believe him, I believe he represents the masses and I want to say to you that the civil society is behind you. I want you to know that the world is watching and the world is behind you because you have excellent credentials.

“I also want to let the President know that the world is behind you in any endeavour in which you strive to restore to the people their right, the fundamental right to express their will of who they want to govern them. The world is also behind the government in this respect but most important of all, we are watching, we are behind them in so far as you move and proceed in the right direction as you carry out the will of the people.

“And when the next government is installed, it should be an elected government; that government will ensure that we do not go backward in our history and one of the ways to do this is to ensure that those who have violated our fundamental human rights to humanity are put in the gallows, they are rigorously punished.

“No punishment is too heavy for those who have violated our constitution and denied our people the right to choose their leaders. We must go back and bring those people to book, not necessarily for vengeance but in the interest of enough is enough and let us say, no further step backward. We must resolve that the long nightmare is over”.

Utomi said it was unfortunate that the contentious register has foreign names like the former Heavy Weight Champion, Mike Tyson, and that of the late Pop Musician, Michael Jackson, adding that the Nigerian economy has remained stagnant for long since the leaders were never elected by Nigerians. He expressed optimism that Nigeria would rise again only if votes count.

Fashola changed the acronym RSVP to Register, Select, Vote and Protect, stressing that it was unacceptable for anybody to say that it is impossible to have a credible register.

“Even if it requires us to stay at home for 10 days to produce a credible voter’s register, we must do it.”

Bakare said it was time for the youth to rule the country, saying: “Our chance has come.”

But, Falana said he was not optimistic that the 2011 election would be credible.

By Muyiwa Oyinlola & Emmanuel Ukudolo

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61624:soyinka-nigeria-is-at-a-breaking-point-&catid=672:top-stories&Itemid=794

Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by canuck(m): 6:24am On Jun 24, 2010
newmaster:

He (Soyinka) said Nigerians should no longer expect him and a few other activists to continue to risk their lives while they (Nigerians) are lethargic about the way the country is being run by those elected.

“Let this be the last time you (Nigerians) will drag me out to talk about voting and election generally; enough of talking, let’s match it with action; don’t bring me out here again to come and tell you to register and vote in any election; enough of talking, just go out there to register and vote.

Hmmm. . .Sounds like Kongi himself is getting weary and exhausted undecided
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by Kobojunkie: 6:01pm On Jun 24, 2010

[size=13pt]“Let this be the last time you (Nigerians) will drag me out to talk about voting and election generally; enough of talking, let’s match it with action; don’t bring me out here again to come and tell you to register and vote in any election; enough of talking, just go out there to register and vote.

“It is not enough to sit here and ask for new voters’ registration; we must all insist on how to do it and decide on what to do so that the people in charge of election will listen to you.”[/size]

MINT!!! grin grin

Now this man is talking!
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by jamace(m): 11:55am On Jun 25, 2010
Yea Kongi, I too have seen many kinks on the cord that bind Nigeria together and any moment the cord may give way. angry
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by Cohomology: 1:06pm On Jun 25, 2010
newmaster:

Joined by Professor Pat Utomi, Pastor Tunde Bakare, Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, Bisi Akande, Lt-Gen. Alani Akinrinade (rtd.), Malam Nasir el-Rufai, Dele Momodu, Mr. Femi Falana and Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin, among others, Soyinka called on Nigerians to prevail on President Goodluck Jonathan not to use the 2006 voters register to conduct the 2011 general elections.

Some sane folks on that list. Good to know that Nigeria is not filled disgraceful kleptomaniacs.
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by EzeUche(m): 1:10pm On Jun 25, 2010
I am tired for him as well. Nigerians are not like Iranians or other people who get in the street and riot. It like our politicians have castrated us and we are lethargic.
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by Blazay(m): 4:07pm On Jun 25, 2010
Elijah, the lone voice in the wilderness. grin
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by 006(m): 12:13am On Jun 26, 2010
Thanks Wole for all your efforts. I’ll forever appreciate you.
However, the problem is that despite all your efforts, 2011 will be worse than 2007, I bet you. Nigeria is completely warped and incurable. It’s too big for us to manage, so your efforts will yield no change.

It’s time for us to part ways. Period.
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by OAM4J: 2:23am On Jun 26, 2010
Nigeria is at breaking point: Why am I not shivering or bothered? undecided
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jun 26, 2010
006 said:

Thanks Wole for all your efforts. I’ll forever appreciate you.
However, the problem is that despite all your efforts, 2011 will be worse than 2007, I bet you. Nigeria is completely warped and incurable. It’s too big for us to manage, so your efforts will yield no change.

It’s time for us to part ways. Period

Dude please just shut your  thoughtless trap. Go naturalize to Ghana or Vietnam if it helps.
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by 006(m): 4:02pm On Jun 26, 2010
ROSSIKE:

006 said:

Dude please just shut your  thoughtless trap. Go naturalize to Ghana or Vietnam if it helps.

I will when your son is slaughtered in Kaduna State while he's doing his NYSC.
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by Ikengawo: 6:06pm On Jun 26, 2010
^you're a gay.

nigerians need to learn about guns. if these politicians are the bane of your life just shoot them biko.
stop being such a coward.

if someone was supposed to build a road infront of my house and buys a car with that money, when they drive by that road i'll shoot them from my village balcony while they swerve potholes abeg
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by misterh(m): 6:14pm On Jun 26, 2010
The man is right. It's only God that can help us cos there is no hope for the future.
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 26, 2010
Finally felt relieved that there is hope for nigeria. . . . .
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by Ikengawo: 6:20pm On Jun 26, 2010
misterh speak for yourself my friend. if you want to say you're hopeful abeg say your hopeless but dont put other nigerians in your hopeless bucket. i have hope joh.
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jun 26, 2010
Ikengawo:

misterh speak for yourself my friend. if you want to say you're hopeful abeg say your hopeless but dont put other nigerians in your hopeless bucket. i have hope joh.
funny but some of us still believe in nigeria,just some few bad politicians ruining things for us.may God strike them with fire.
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 26, 2010

According to him, the register is made up of synthetic names, names of animals and individuals that have long been dead, wondering why such an antiquated record should be used for the 2011 elections.

He described the register as “a condemnable compilation that contains the names of dogs, goats, cows and even dead people. You must decide not to be hoodwinked. You must decide what to do with those who are in charge of the exercise and what you have to carry out in your own behalf and on behalf of your children,” he said.

grin grin grin grin Shameless country.

“I also want to let the President know that the world is behind you in any endeavour in which you strive to restore to the people their right, the fundamental right to express their will of who they want to govern them. The world is also behind the government in this respect but most important of all, we are watching, we are behind them in so far as you move and proceed in the right direction as you carry out the will of the people.
“No punishment is too heavy for those who have violated our constitution and denied our people the right to choose their leaders. We must go back and bring those people to book, not necessarily for vengeance but in the interest of enough is enough and let us say, no further step backward. We must resolve that the long nightmare is over”.

True talk.
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by Ikengawo: 6:34pm On Jun 26, 2010
i dont even think they're ruining it for 'us'. they're making it harder but who cares?

are ppl still not becoming millionaires and billionaires in nigeria?

the only difference is all nigerians believe they are born to be rich and once they find out it's not for everyone they look for ppl to blame

my dad built his brothers houses and now they're throwing bricks through his window because he told them they should go look for employment. LOL. its whatever though.
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jun 26, 2010
Ikengawo:

i dont even think they're ruining it for 'us'. they're making it harder but who cares?

the only difference is all nigerians believe they are born to be rich and once they find out it's not for everyone they look for ppl to blame

my dad built his brothers houses and now they're throwing bricks through his window because he told them they should go look for employment. LOL. its whatever though.

Most times, those millions/billion are made illegally.
Re: Nigeria Is At A Breaking Point : Soyinka by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jun 26, 2010
Ikengawo:

i think it's the responsibility of govt to fulfill some obligations to the citizens. nigerians are not demanding for privilege but basic rights which are due to them
the margin between the poor and the rich is too wide and corruption seems to be a major hinderance to progress.Asking for a responsible govt is not a big issue for nigerians to demand.

(1) (Reply)

Power Sector Reform @netotse And Beaf / Trying Moments For Edo Action Congress / Women In Hijab Protest Discrimination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.