Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured (10361 Views)

Ikoyi Collapsed Building: Style Of Rescuing Can Even Kill, Lady Yells At NEMA / Many Pupils Still Trapped In Lagos School Building Collapse (photos, Video) / Catholic Church Collapses In Delta During Mass, 1 Dead, 4 Injured, Many Trapped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by metronaija2: 6:04pm On Aug 18, 2018
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has officially called off the Search and Rescue Operations at the site of the collapsed building in Jabi, Abuja, as it confirmed one person dead and six injured.

Mr Mustapha Maihaja made the official confirmation on Saturday in Abuja to clarify the conflicting figures on the numbers of death and those injured from the unfortunate incident.

Maihaja officially called off the rescue operation after the Search and Rescue team confirmed that there was no remaining body buried under the rubbles of the collapsed building.

He said that one of the six injured persons was in critical condition and was receiving adequate medical attention.

Maihaja said that professionals were deployed to the scene, trained personnel and facilities were also mobilized to ensure a thorough job.

“The incidence happened unannounced, the FCT Emergency Management Agency that is responsible responded promptly.

“ All other stakeholders brought their support to assist them and a good work has been done to rescue those that were trapped.

“It is an uncompleted building that was abandoned for a long time and I was made to understand that there were no people living there, only the illegal occupants were there.

“Seven people were brought out, one was certified dead, one severely wounded among those injured

“This is a professional job, professionals were deployed here. They professionally combed the whole site and they could not find any other than what they were able to get.

“ I think when a professional speak we should respect their opinion,’’ Maihaja said.

Those injured were immediately rushed to the Gwarinpa General Hospital for treatment after which they were referred to Zankli Hospital, Jabi.

The corpse of the victim has, however, been deposited at the Asokoro General Hospital.

To avoid reoccurrences of such unfortunate incidences, some stakeholders have called for the need for professionalism and proper inspection of buildings under constructions by the relevant agencies.

Speaking on the issue, Mr Agboola Abolade of the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN), called for the need to engage professionals in construction to avoid unfortunate incidences as a collapse.

He explained that from the inspection on the site it was very likely that the kind of concrete mix that was used in constructing must have been below the standard specified in the design.

“By looking at the nature of the rubbles we have here, you can see that it is likely that the kind of concrete mix used was below the standard.

“If the mix was done properly we should have had a partial collapse.

“ Even if the foundation gave way, other parts of the building could have been standing.

“Normally, since the building has been abandoned for a long time the concrete was supposed to get stronger over the years due to the incurring process of water and air,’’ Abolade said.

http://www.metronaija.ng/abuja-building-collapse-nema-calls-off-operation-confirms-1-dead-6-injured-2/
Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by bennymark(m): 6:28pm On Aug 18, 2018
This issue was not handled professionally, in saner climes, you clear all the debris immediately to be sure no one is trapped.

I hear from unconfirmed sources that people are still trapped underneath

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by alukstea(m): 6:29pm On Aug 18, 2018
Once upon a time ...

1 Like

Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by Curry30: 6:30pm On Aug 18, 2018
No pictures? Anyway sad one...RIP to the dead
Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:30pm On Aug 18, 2018
This is a very sad incident.

We need to be more proactive in this society.
Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by Lomprico2: 6:30pm On Aug 18, 2018
That is why there was protest. angry

Someone confirmed his brother is still trapped there.

7 Likes

Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by PUSSYBBQGRILLS(f): 6:31pm On Aug 18, 2018
RIP to the dead.
Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by CRANEO92: 6:32pm On Aug 18, 2018
R. I. P

Good citizens of our belove 9ja
Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 18, 2018
bennymark:
This issue was not handled professionally, in saner climes, you clear all the debris immediately to be sure no one is trapped.

I hear from unconfirmed sources that people are still trapped underneath
Cut the bluff with this shitty ”in saner climes bla bla” talk everytime

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by Oceannaagent: 6:33pm On Aug 18, 2018
Regrettable incident.
Rip to the dead

1 Like

Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by Iruobean(m): 6:34pm On Aug 18, 2018
shocked
Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 18, 2018
Who do we believe now...??
Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by bennymark(m): 6:35pm On Aug 18, 2018
4601CE:

Take it or leave it, it's not a debatable subject

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by SHOPPERS(m): 6:36pm On Aug 18, 2018
Why can't our officials learn to communicate simply rather than using bad grammars everywhere?

What do they mean by "the incidence happened unannounced"??

I don't get it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by bennymark(m): 6:36pm On Aug 18, 2018
Lomprico2:
That is why there was protest. angry

Someone confirmed his brother is still trapped there.

Don't be quick to respond without reasoning, I stay in Abuja, another person confirming more people could still be trapped

4601CE:

Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by Bossontop(m): 6:36pm On Aug 18, 2018
undecided undecided undecided
One.....i jus saw 3 dead on my phone ryt now.......so which do i believe??

Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by Nobody: 6:42pm On Aug 18, 2018
bennymark:

Don't be quick to respond without reasoning, I stay in Abuja, another person confirming more people could still be trapped

angry
Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by okwabayi(m): 6:44pm On Aug 18, 2018
Okwabayi has marked himself as safe.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by AuroraB(f): 6:51pm On Aug 18, 2018
Why do I have the feeling this rescue operation was shabby
Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by southernbelle(f): 6:51pm On Aug 18, 2018
This is sad.
When will people who manufacture construction materials or products in general in Nigeria start making them up to standard. Where is SON
Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by Horus(m): 6:57pm On Aug 18, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udBhcr1mFVo

Osinbajo visits site of Abuja building collapse
Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by Yinxies(f): 7:04pm On Aug 18, 2018
shocked
Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by jerk: 7:30pm On Aug 18, 2018
RIP to those still trapped bcus only miracle can save them.
Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by Neddyogu(m): 7:51pm On Aug 18, 2018
4601CE:

Abi oo. Afterall full bridge collapse for Italy abi italo no be saner clime? How many rubble dem remove?

1 Like

Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by ogtavia(m): 8:02pm On Aug 18, 2018
There was nothing professional about NEMA's operation there. I drove past that road not so long after the building collapsed.
1. NEMA didn't get there on time.
2. NEMA didn't condone the crash site off. People just surrounded the collapse site ; IMHO, this is the height of professional incompetence.
4. There was no crane on site, so how can NEMA be sure they have evacuated all affected persons.
5. You can't call off operations of this magnitude less than 48 hours after it occurred.

Imagine if Chinese authorities had called off the operation at the cave where those young boys were trapped. Indeed, there was a country.

4 Likes

Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by jembalord: 8:30pm On Aug 18, 2018
rip to the departed
Re: Abuja Building Collapse: NEMA Calls Off Operation, Confirms 1 Dead, 6 Injured by MolarT(m): 8:47pm On Aug 18, 2018
I laugh in Latin. (1) There was one dead in gwarinpa general hospital which I saw with my eyes. (2) They was 2 other deals at maitama general hospital (3) They are not illegal residents but labourers because the owners decided to continue building after 2 years of being dormant. (4) The Engineer was brought to gwarinpa gen. hospital and later referred on patient request to cedacrest hospital Apo (where buhari's son was treated). (5) The one that died in gwarinpa gen. was taken by the dad to bury same yesterday. So NEMA get ur facts right. However, I think there are still some labourers trapped there coz when I passed there few minutes after the collapse there were still 18 trapped. thanks!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Blocks And Inter-locking Bricks Making Machines For Sale - 5000blocks Per Day / Nigeria's First House Price Index Unveiled / Land For Sale In Owerri: Find Genuine Plots Of Land & Properties For Sale In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.