Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,784 members, 7,802,427 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? (3770 Views)

Which Miracle Of Jesus Christ Do You Think Was The Greatest? / King Kong Movie Reveals Flat Earth with Firmament (dome) / The Truth About Flat Earth From A Biblical Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Nobody: 2:34am On Aug 19, 2018
I really do not know if the bible has backing for spheroid or flat earth theory.
If anyone has scripture verses that explains the global earth model, you can share.

I really want to know what believers think about the flat and the global model form of earth....

Which do you support based on your belief and what it apparently evident?
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:42am On Aug 19, 2018
We believe in Jesus and what the Bible says.
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Fierce11: 2:42am On Aug 19, 2018
And which part of the bible supports the backing of the earth as flat.. besides, christianity has nothing to do with the shape of the earth.. its all about salvation and christ bro.. so don't come here and be expecting pointless arguements even when it has be confirmed that 'the earth is not flat'.. btw, its almost 3am.. goan sleep,. maybe you would find your answer in a trance
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Heartbender: 2:46am On Aug 19, 2018
Job 22:14, 26:7; Isaiah 40:22

1 Like

Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Nobody: 2:54am On Aug 19, 2018
post=70407020:
what does the bible say as regard this topic?
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Nobody: 2:57am On Aug 19, 2018
Fierce11:
And which part of the bible supports the backing of the earth as flat.. besides, christianity has nothing to do with the shape of the earth.. its all about salvation and christ bro.. so don't come here and be expecting pointless arguements even when it has be confirmed that 'the earth is not flat'.. btw, its almost 3am.. goan sleep,. maybe you would find your answer in a trance
I know why I'm asking this question, I have met lot of flat earthers who claim the global earth theory is a conspiracy and that the Bible clearly stated the earth is flat and that the conspiracy is satanic.

And again, the Bible described the shpe of the earth to be "not sphere" and fixed.

1 Like

Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:01am On Aug 19, 2018
nwabekeyi:
what does the bible say as regard this topic?
Well, tho we have the answer to that through the verses of the Bible but we rather give you this and leave the thread for you and other people to go on with the objective of why the thread was created..

The popularity of “flat earth” teaching among a few deceived believers is indicative of the enemy's efforts to distract believers from Kingdom work with sensationalistic myths. Paul says learning sound doctrine requires endurance, but some would prefer to have their ears tickled. The enemy uses attractive myths like a flat earth to distract believers from the truly important matters of scripture

NICE meeting you.
Okay bye!
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Nobody: 3:04am On Aug 19, 2018
post=70407108:

Well, tho we have the answer to that through the verses of the Bible but we rather give you this and leave the thread for you and other people to go on with the objective of why the thread was created..

The popularity of “flat earth” teaching among a few deceived believers is indicative of the enemy's efforts to distract believers from Kingdom work with sensationalistic myths. Paul says learning sound doctrine requires endurance, but some would prefer to have their ears tickled. The enemy uses attractive myths like a flat earth to distract believers from the truly important matters of scripture

NICE meeting you.
Okay bye!
I get your point though, it's nice having you.
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:05am On Aug 19, 2018
We cool!
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Fierce11: 3:09am On Aug 19, 2018
nwabekeyi:
I know why I'm asking this question, I have met lot of flat earthers who claim the global earth theory is a conspiracy and that the Bible clearly stated the earth is flat and that the conspiracy is satanic.

And again, the Bible described the shpe of the earth to be "not sphere" and fixed.
OK.. The bible mentions four corners of the earth.. It didn't say 'four corners of the flat earth'.. It mentions the tribe of judah being scattered at the four corners of the earth.. Haba.. This one is clear enough for you to know that it means the north, west, east and south na.. Btw, in Isaiah 40 vs 22, its said that, "God Sits above the 'circle' of the earth".. that one is clear enough bro.. the bible never said it is flat
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Nobody: 3:22am On Aug 19, 2018
Fierce11:

OK.. The bible mentions four corners of the earth.. It didn't say 'four corners of the flat earth'.. It mentions the tribe of judah being scattered at the four corners of the earth.. Haba.. This one is clear enough for you to know that it means the north, west, east and south na.. Btw, in Isaiah 40 vs 22, its said that, "God Sits above the 'circle' of the earth".. that one is clear enough bro.. the bible never said it is flat
I was thinking the four corners of the earth would have been west, north, east and south, doesn't this explain it better than what you came up with?
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Fierce11: 3:27am On Aug 19, 2018
nwabekeyi:
I was thinking the four corners of the earth would have been west, north, east and south, doesn't this explain it better than what you came up with?
(Laffs).. You are one persistent madh man n.. Lols.. But wait o.. I thought i already said the four corners mean the N.E.W.S na? so what do you mean by what i came up with?
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Desyner: 3:43am On Aug 19, 2018
Spherical Earth.
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by StillX10(m): 3:55am On Aug 19, 2018
Heartbender:
Job 22:14, 26:7; Isaiah 40:22
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by TV01(m): 9:58pm On Feb 15, 2019
nwabekeyi:
I really do not know if the bible has backing for spheroid or flat earth theory.
If anyone has scripture verses that explains the global earth model, you can share.

I really want to know what believers think about the flat and the global model form of earth....

In the first instance the bible is explicit in stating that the earth is stationary. That alone contradicts the commonly accepted/taught belief that the earth is rotating on it's axis and orbiting the sun. Indeed the book of Joshua (10:12-13), it talks about the sun and moon stopping in their movements over the earth. This is totally opposite what would be considered the prevailing scientific view of our time.

1 Chronicles 16:30: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.”
Psalm 93:1: “Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm ...”
Psalm 96:10: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...”
Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”
Isaiah 45:18: “...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...”

Secondly, the first chapter, and not far beyond the first few verses, state clearly that the earth was created before the sun and moon, which are but lights for the earth. That also is beyond the pale in relation what is generally presented as the scientific consensus.

Thirdly, the bible speaks of something severally called the firmament, the dome, the vault of heaven, which suggests a physical hard canopy or tent like covering over, and, to the "ends of the earth" - which the bible also talks about. Inside which the sun, moon and stars reside. This presents all sorts of problems with what is considered current scientific consensus, inter-alia, distances from the earth and the nature of the sun, moon and stars, space travel, moon-landings, the works.

Fourthly, there is nothing to even suggest the earth is spherical or a globe, let alone moving in any direction. Many scriptures allude to the whole being in view form heaven at once, most notable being the devil taking the Lord up to a high mountain and showing "all the kingdoms of the earth.

It is not just flatness here, for which I believe the weight of scripture comes to bear, it's the whole of biblical cosmology. Indeed it's the whole of the bible. If the first chapter is wrong, faulty or erroneous, what value any of it as absolute truth? How can Christ, who referenced the creation event be trusted, or assuredly be whom He claims if the foundational basis is false?

I believe that biblical cosmology and a number of basic doctrines are fundamentally discordant with scientific positions and, there is no clear or honest way to reconcile them.

What do I think about the flat or global model of earth? In the first instance nothing, I believe the bible. I may misunderstand it, misinterpret it, or even misapply it. however, I believe it and I believe God who inspired it. Let God alone be true and every man a liar.

Best
TV

2 Likes

Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Feb 17, 2019
TV01:

In the first instance the bible is explicit in stating that the earth is stationary. That alone contradicts the commonly accepted/taught belief that the earth is rotating on it's axis and orbiting the sun. Indeed the book of Joshua (10:12-13), it talks about the sun and moon stopping in their movements over the earth. This is totally opposite what would be considered the prevailing scientific view of our time.

Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”
Isaiah 45:18: “...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...”

Secondly, the first chapter, and not far beyond the first few verses, state clearly that the earth was created before the sun and moon, which are but lights for the earth. That also is beyond the pale in relation what is generally presented as the scientific consensus.

Thirdly, the bible speaks of something severally called the firmament, the dome, the vault of heaven, which suggests a physical hard canopy or tent like covering over, and, to the "ends of the earth" - which the bible also talks about. Inside which the sun, moon and stars reside. This presents all sorts of problems with what is considered current scientific consensus, inter-alia, distances from the earth and the nature of the sun, moon and stars, space travel, moon-landings, the works.

Fourthly, there is nothing to even suggest the earth is spherical or a globe, let alone moving in any direction. Many scriptures allude to the whole being in view form heaven at once, most notable being the devil taking the Lord up to a high mountain and showing "all the kingdoms of the earth.

It is not just flatness here, for which I believe the weight of scripture comes to bear, it's the whole of biblical cosmology. Indeed it's the whole of the bible. If the first chapter is wrong, faulty or erroneous, what value any of it as absolute truth? How can Christ, who referenced the creation event be trusted, or assuredly be whom He claims if the foundational basis is false?

I believe that biblical cosmology and a number of basic doctrines are fundamentally discordant with scientific positions and, there is no clear or honest way to reconcile them.

What do I think about the flat or global model of earth? In the first instance nothing, I believe the bible. I may misunderstand it, misinterpret it, or even misapply it. however, I believe it and I believe God who inspired it. Let God alone be true and every man a liar.

Best
TV

nice write up but your conclusion is faulted. It doesn't matter if you believe in the Bible or not, what matters are the facts presented. From the verifiable facts we have, the bible is totally wrong as regards the shape of the earth...

After all, internet cannot even work on a flat earth, you won't be able to reply this text if the earth were flat
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Emusan(m): 3:42pm On Feb 17, 2019
nwabekeyi:

Bible is a book you can make it says what you want it to say.

The message of the Bible is salvation to the world...
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Feb 17, 2019
Emusan:

you didn't answer the question
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Kcgeology: 9:34pm On Feb 17, 2019
from mere observation, it seems d sun actually moves, but scientifically proven, it is d earth that moves round d sun. to d eyes of joshua, it was d sun that seems to be mobile, thus his prayer. if god were to reveal to him that it was d other way round, it wud have been impossibl to comprehend. it was actually galileo that debunked the belief that d earth was d centre of d universe via his telescope. man was given a mandate to conquer d world. scientific inovations such as satellite imagery throw more light on our universe. if u are a believer, science will make u acknowledge the power of god, if u are not a believer, science is one sure ticket to madness coz it will strengthen ur belief that god is a fairy tale. cheers
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by HappyPagan: 10:21pm On Feb 17, 2019
post=70407020:
And what does the Bible say about the topic?
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by TV01(m): 10:28pm On Feb 17, 2019
nwabekeyi:
nice write up but your conclusion is faulted. It doesn't matter if you believe in the Bible or not, what matters are the facts presented. From the verifiable facts we have, the bible is totally wrong as regards the shape of the earth...

After all, internet cannot even work on a flat earth, you won't be able to reply this text if the earth were flat
Thank you for your kind words.

I would appreciate your outlining a few of these verifiable facts that demonstrate the bible is wrong regards the shape of the earth. As I started with the earths state of motion - stationary - it would be good if you could present verifiable proof of the earths rotation and/or orbit.

Emusan:

The second point absolutely. The first true in a manner of speaking. But what the bible says about the motion and shape of the earth cannot be gainsaid - indeed, one thing you cannot discern from the bible is a sperical axial-rotating and sun-orbiting earth.

Kcgeology:
from mere observation, it seems d sun actually moves, but scientifically proven, it is d earth that moves round d sun. to d eyes of joshua, it was d sun that seems to be mobile, thus his prayer. if god were to reveal to him that it was d other way round, it wud have been impossibl to comprehend. it was actually galileo that debunked the belief that d earth was d centre of d universe via his telescope. man was given a mandate to conquer d world. scientific inovations such as satellite imagery throw more light on our universe. if u are a believer, science will make u acknowledge the power of god, if u are not a believer, science is one sure ticket to madness coz it will strengthen ur belief that god is a fairy tale. cheers
The sun moves as observed, as does the moon. Over and around a circular earth with variations which give rise to seasons. Please show the conclusive and verifiable evidence that the earth moves - in any way shape or form, let alone around the sun.

Acknowledging the power of God - however that comes about - is great. I would also suggest that a) one doesn't need science to do that b) what is falsely called science does not do that and c) denying God in order to affirn things just because they are labelled science could have dire consequences.

Cheers
TV

1 Like

Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Horiolah(m): 10:39pm On Feb 17, 2019
TV01:

Thank you for your kind words.

I would appreciate your outlining a few of tese verifiable facts that demonstrate the bible is wrong regards the shape of the earth. As I started with the earths state of motion - stationary - it would be good if you could present verifiable proof of the earths rotation and/or orbit.

The second point absolutely. The first true in a manner of speaking. But what the bible says about the motion and shape of the earth cannot be gainsaid - indeed, one hting you cannot discern from the bible is a sperical axial-rotating and sun-orbiting earth.

The sun moves as observed, as does the moon. Over and around a circular earth with variations which give rise to seasons. Please show the conclusive and verifiable evidence that the earth moves - in any way shape or form, let alone around the sun.

Acknowledging the power of God - however that comes about - is great. I would also suggest that a) one doesn't need science to do that b) what is falsely called science does not do that and c) denying God in order to affirn things just because they are labelled science could have dire consequences.

Cheers
TV

Can a star move??
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Feb 17, 2019
Kcgeology:
Well said bro, well said.
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by TV01(m): 11:09pm On Feb 17, 2019
Horiolah:

Can a star move??
Hi. Yes is the short answer

Cheers
TV
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by Horiolah(m): 11:30pm On Feb 17, 2019
TV01:

Hi. Yes is the short answer

Cheers
TV

Ok. So the sun orbit around the earth and nt around the center of the milky way?
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by TV01(m): 11:48pm On Feb 17, 2019
Horiolah:

Ok. So the sun orbit around the earth and nt around the center of the milky way?
That's correct.

God created the earth, the sun, the moon and the stars. Stars I believe are multi-varied in nature - some move, others are stationary, some emit light, possibly some do not. Some are creatures or capable of expression. Nothing about the solar system or a milky way.

"The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament sheweth His handwork".

Cheers
TV
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by OpenYourEyes1: 12:14am On Feb 18, 2019
TV01:

Best
TV

Weak arguments.
How would you have described the Joshua event? Even modern world still uses the terms 'sun rise and sun set' or "sun moves from East to West"

"On the day the LORD gave the Amorites over to Israel, Joshua said to the LORD in the presence of Israel: as it is written in the Book of Jashar. The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day."
Joshua 10:12-13
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by OpenYourEyes1: 12:23am On Feb 18, 2019
TV01:

1 Chronicles 16:30:
"Tremble before him, all the earth! The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved."

How is this about the movement of the earth?
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by TV01(m): 12:41am On Feb 18, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

Weak arguments.
How would you have described the Joshua event? Even modern world still uses the terms 'sun rise and sun set' or "sun moves from East to West"
It is perfectly clear as stated. Yes it does - the sun moves as observed in a circular orbit over the earth plane.

The sun orbits the earth - as does the moon. As it approaches, the viewer has the sense of it rising and growing in size. Likewise, when it is receding, it appears to lower and shrink. Hence the terms "rise" and "set".Basic perspective. Think horizon and vanishing point.

The sun is not 93m miles away or 110 times the size of the earth. The sun and moon are roughly the same size, which is smaller that the earth they orbit. And within the firmament above the earth, as are the stars. The sun acts almost like a spotlight, hence only half the earth plane is lit at any one time.

OpenYourEyes1:
"On the day the LORD gave the Amorites over to Israel, Joshua said to the LORD in the presence of Israel: as it is written in the Book of Jashar. The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day."
Joshua 10:12-13
It delayed going down as it halted in it's movement. So the lighting effect held and the perspective did not change. "In the middle of the sky" because it is not 150m km away, but within the earths firmament grin.

OpenYourEyes1:

1 Chronicles 16:30:
"Tremble before him, all the earth! The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved."

How is this about the movement of the earth?
Cosmology is a whole. Biblical cosmology says the earth is motionless, flat and is orbited by the sun. The commonly held belief is that it moves, is spherical and orbits the sun. Both positions cannot be right. Simply demonstrate empirically, with proof, that the earth moves and the whole bible position collapses. I stand to be corrected and disabused of my faith.

Genesis 1:14-18
And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years, and let them be lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth.” And it was so. And God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars. And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.

Cheers
TV

1 Like

Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by OpenYourEyes1: 1:23am On Feb 18, 2019
TV01:
It is perfectly clear as stated. Yes it does - the sun moves as observed in a circular orbit over the earth plane.

The sun orbits the earth - as does the moon. As it approaches, the viewer has the sense of it rising and growing in size. Likewise, when it is receding, it appears to lower and shrink. Hence the terms "rise" and "set".Basic perspective. Think horizon and vanishing point.

The sun is not 93m miles away or 110 times the size of the earth. The sun and moon are roughly the same size, which is smaller that the earth they orbit. And within the firmament above the earth, as are the stars. The sun acts almost like a spotlight, hence only half the earth plane is lit at any one time.

It delayed going down as it halted in it's movement. So the lighting effect held and the perspective did not change. "In the middle of the sky" because it is not 150m km away, but within the earths firmament grin.

Cosmology is a whole. Biblical cosmology says the earth is motionless, flat and is orbited by the sun. The commonly held belief is that it moves, is spherical and orbits the sun. Both positions cannot be right. Simply demonstrate empirically, with proof, that the earth moves and the whole bible position collapses. I stand to be corrected and disabused of my faith.

Genesis 1:14-18
And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years, and let them be lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth.” And it was so. And God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars. And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.

Cheers
TV

“Have you ever in your life commanded the morning, and caused the dawn to know its place; That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, That the wicked might be shaken out of it? It [the earth] is turned as clay to the seal; And they [the wicked] stand forth as a garment" Job 38:12-14
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by OpenYourEyes1: 1:25am On Feb 18, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

“Have you ever in your life commanded the morning, and caused the dawn to know its place; That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, That the wicked might be shaken out of it? It [the earth] is turned as clay to the seal; And they [the wicked] stand forth as a garment" Job 38:12-14

Earth rotation as described by jobs
Re: As A Believer Of Christ, Do You Believe In Flat Earth Or Spheroid Earth Theory? by TV01(m): 1:48am On Feb 18, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

Earth rotation as described by jobs

Job

“Have you ever given orders to the morning,
or shown the dawn its place,
that it might take the earth by the edges
and shake the wicked out of it?
The earth takes shape like clay under a seal;
its features stand out like those of a garment.

No. Can a sphere possess edges or ends?That is evidence of a flat earth. a seal bore the symbol of the writer (creator) of a document and was impressed upon clay, sealing the document and signifying it's author (maker).

The earth is essentially a flat plain with it's features - land, seas, highland, lowlands etc. - standing in relief. You can deny the flat earth, or resort to alternative cosmologies, but you cannot debunk it using the bible. It is a flat earth book through and through cool.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=clay+under+seal&FORM=HDRSC2

Cheers
TV

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. / Africans, We Need To Wake Up!! / Collection Of Atheist Memes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.