Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant (8300 Views)

2023 Presidency: APC Leaders Consider Northern Candidate To Checkmate PDP / Live Pictures of Olawepo Hashim's Presidential Campaign In Ondo State / Olawepo Hashim Presidential Rally Live In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by mrrights: 2:18pm On Aug 19, 2018
Mr. Gbenga Olawepo-Hashim is aspiring to be president of Nigeria on the platform of the newly registered Alliance for New Nigeria (ANN), a party, styled as the party of technoticians mainly on account of the professionals and non-career politicians in its fold.

On the periphery of the party’s national convention penultimate Saturday, Mr. Olawepo-Hashim, in an interview, ventilated his thoughts on his aspiration and the state of the nation.

Excerpts:

Despite your prominent role in the evolution of the PDP, why did you leave the party?

I left PDP in November 2006 about 12 years ago. I had issues at that time with the PDP and I think the party now is worse than then. The issues we had were issues of internal democracy and the standards were even pretty high in terms of values and we even questioned those standards then that they were not adequate. So, you can imagine what it has become now. I think it’s pretty worse now than when we formed the party. We started with issues of internal democracy right from around year 2000 and 2001, when some of our colleagues in the National Working Committee (NWC) wanted automatic extension of their tenure from two years to four years. Late Harry Marshal, myself, and others challenged it, even though we were supposed to be beneficiaries of that extension. We felt it was objectionable. We had just come from military dictatorship and coming into democracy, we were not supposed to be conducting ourselves with impunity. So, that was the fight then around 2000, almost two decades ago now.

So what happened?

Then, by 2006, it was clear that the party was not ready to reform itself and a lot of people exited the party including the founders of the party that made victory possible. That was why you saw that the 2007 election was perhaps the worst election that Nigeria ever had. 2007 election was like warfare because they had lost support of most of the members that made victory possible. So, the perfidy did not just start today. The perfidy started from that era and of course it began to go from bad to worse.

How can your party break through to take the pre-eminence over the two major political parties in the country today?

The two horses are on their way to death already. They are bleeding very horribly. They are both APC and PDP. One thing that is interesting is that you have almost 10 million voters who are going to be voting for the first time in Nigeria. Most of them are not followers of these two horses. In fact, they are the crop of people who ordinarily were not showing interest in politics, who are incensed by the shenanigans of those two major parties, that they don’t want to vote for either of these parties. These are the first line of support for the ANN. In a three-way race, if you start with 70 percent of that vote, you are already halfway through and you can do your research. These ones are unlikely to vote for PDP or APC. So, that is the starting point.

Having left the PDP in 2006, what did you engage yourself with between 2006 and 2018?

Since 1992, I’ve been a businessman. I’ve never had any other occupation rather than running my business for over 27 years. Politics is the one that is my second address, not my first job.

You have put a lot of energy in reorganizing the ANN, if you don’t get the presidential ticket, what will you do?

I will still continue in ANN. But members of ANN are not stupid. They want to put their best foot forward for Nigerians so that the party can win and that is what we are working hard on.

Specifically, why do you want to be President?

I can put Nigeria back together. Nigeria is badly divided and it needs a unifier and a bridge builder. Secondly, Nigeria’s economy needs to be rescued from complete collapse.

At the bottom of some of these challenges in the country is competition for resources and massive poverty. It also contributes to the number of these upheavals that we are having in different parts of the country. Some of the realities are quite scary and needs the urgency of now to arrest them. Otherwise, if the trend continues, things can really run out of hand.

Some months ago, we were discussing with some people who came to visit us from Shiroro (Niger State) and we were talking about insecurity, they said the kind of insecurity we are seeing now is not just about herdsmen and farmers clashes; that in Shiroro now, once they bury their yams in the ground around the planting season, some people will go and unearth the yams; some will even go and sell the seedlings in the market in order to have some money.

So, what they do now is to mark the yam seedlings with paints so that when it shows up at the market, everybody will know that this is a stolen yam. This is where we have come to. So, are you going to send policemen to be manning every farm in Nigeria? This is a huge social economic crisis.

That one is no longer just security problem. It’s a serious problem of chronic poverty and collapse of all the economic lever of hope. This matter is an urgent matter. You cannot discuss some of these security challenges outside the issue of poverty and the collapse of the economic support system for the people to live to be human beings in the first place. That demands an urgency of now.

But the discussions and analysis of 2019 leaves all these practical questions out. It’s about what is about what are the chances of this person; how many House of Reps members are following him? How many governors do they have? The real issues are left out and we will ensure by the grace of God that 2019 election is going to be about issues. It’s not just going to be about the shenanigans of politics.

Is that why you call yourselves technoticians? Can you explain?

That’s a term in ANN. It means basically technocrats, lawyers, doctors, professionals who are also interested in politics. That is the slang in ANN. If I want to make it simpler, it’s people who have something they are doing with their hands.

Do you see your ambition being hampered in one way or the other by the so called issues of politics, which you called shenanigans of politics, zoning, ethnicity, which appear still widespread right now?

I don’t see how my ambition is limited by that. If anything at all, I think Nigerians want a truly Nigerian President. So I don’t see how that limits me. It only helps in a period of great division. Nigerians need at this point a President that will be a true Commander-in-Chief of all Nigerians regardless of where they come from or regardless of their State. That is the President that Nigerians need and that person is me

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/08/how-ann-will-checkmate-pdp-apc-olawepo-hashim-presidential-aspirant/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDLsu7cO8hs
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:26pm On Aug 19, 2018
ALL the best to una!

1 Like

Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by Omeokachie: 2:37pm On Aug 19, 2018
Who be dis?

ANN ko, Cynthia ni

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by Linus199(m): 2:39pm On Aug 19, 2018
PDP all the way if believe hit like

11 Likes

Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by ednut1(m): 2:44pm On Aug 19, 2018
Time wasters. Make una go find work

1 Like

Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by VideoExpert(m): 2:45pm On Aug 19, 2018
Lol
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by sammyj: 2:45pm On Aug 19, 2018
The same of shame as long as he was a former PDP memeber. Politricians can never be trusted in Nigeria! shocked
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by Corrinthians(m): 2:45pm On Aug 19, 2018
grin grin

1 Like

Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by wellmax(m): 2:45pm On Aug 19, 2018
I love dreamers. Dream on dude

1 Like

Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 19, 2018
Nonentity
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by philiancoop(m): 2:46pm On Aug 19, 2018
Na Fela Durotoye party be this na

1 Like

Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by loosecanon50(m): 2:46pm On Aug 19, 2018
See this fool
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by omoadeleye(m): 2:47pm On Aug 19, 2018
Don't waste your money and time, we already know that Buhari will win the second term, we don't want it but we don't have any choice
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by mizzy007(m): 2:47pm On Aug 19, 2018
Another Product of PDP... We want someone from the space
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by Glink2018(m): 2:48pm On Aug 19, 2018
Abeg go sitdon..

I don tell all you small small parties say make una no dey talk when elderly big parties are talking.

Oya, crawl back into your shell or else...i

We're looking for bigger party with credibility that can challenge Buhari in the presidential race next year , you and your party wey Dem no Sabi for your village Dey form Voltron...
If you no keep quiet now, I go ...
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by Bossontop(m): 2:48pm On Aug 19, 2018
undecided
All these mushroom mushroom parties wey go jus comot from nowhere begin dey make noise sef......ahn ahn!!!!!!!

Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by kazmanbanjoko(m): 2:49pm On Aug 19, 2018
ANN or CNN
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by spiritedtete: 2:50pm On Aug 19, 2018
Dead!
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by Metuh: 2:50pm On Aug 19, 2018
donphilopus This is a different contestant o.

You have no excuse to reinforce failure.
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by BruncleZuma: 2:51pm On Aug 19, 2018
grin grin grin grin

Wetin this one smoke?
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by 12345baba(m): 2:53pm On Aug 19, 2018
vote for esther not ann
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by karllemah44(m): 2:55pm On Aug 19, 2018
All these parties na to share PDP vote abi
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by elyte89: 2:55pm On Aug 19, 2018
All Dis parties wey no fit win "FAMILY ELECTION", let alone of winning a WARD undecided,SHIO
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by Hier(m): 2:55pm On Aug 19, 2018
This is to remind all Nigerians that a lot of people are putting so much into championing a course for a better and greater Nigeria, and NYP is one of those ground where thousands of Nigerians who believe they can contribute positively to make Nigeria great are gathered and together, we shall be so much to decide whoever should be our future leader.

Together we shall decide whether a visionary and wisdom filled Nigerian should be our leader or some old cabals that cares less about the masses.

Join and share

Www./NaijaYouthParty

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by Hier(m): 2:57pm On Aug 19, 2018
elyte89:
All Dis parties wey no fit win "FAMILY ELECTION", let alone of winning a WARD undecided,SHIO

they won't win because we are not promoting them in our neighborhood, they have more visionary leaders than the ruling parties
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by sowore2019: 3:00pm On Aug 19, 2018
Nigeria needs African Action Congress (AAC), We have No godfather and No godmother

2 Likes

Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by adetunjioludami(m): 3:05pm On Aug 19, 2018
Is Fela Durotoye not running with ANN?? Wus dis one again?

1 Like

Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by lexy2014: 3:06pm On Aug 19, 2018
Omeokachie:
Who be dis?

ANN ko, Cynthia ni
CNN
Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by Vado(m): 3:06pm On Aug 19, 2018
Same Gbenga Olawepo whom contested and tested his popularity for kwara governoship seat in my secondary school days lol? Funny man. Goodluck

1 Like

Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by lexy2014: 3:10pm On Aug 19, 2018
Hier:

they won't win because we are not promoting them in our neighborhood, they have more visionary leaders than the ruling parties
d problem is that PDP and APC have used their governors to kill local govt politics. Its at d level of d local govts that these new parties ought 2 test their popularity and gradually build it up from there. D way they just show during every presidential election is just like comedy. It's not their fault though

1 Like

Re: How ANN Will Checkmate PDP, APC — Olawepo-hashim, Presidential Aspirant by stasius: 3:14pm On Aug 19, 2018
Sister Ann? OK na

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amaechi Talks About FG Mortgages For A Chinese Loan / ‘charges Against Sowore A Mockery Of Justice,end The Case Now,serap Tells Malami / Congratulation To Our In-law Kamala Harris And Joe Igbokwe Biden - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.