Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,808 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:17 AM

Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah (32895 Views)

Countries Worldwide Dump U.S Dollars, Embrace Russia & China Currencies (Photo) / The Top 5 Reasons why Nigerians (Should) Prefer PayPal / Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by Menh: 3:02pm On Aug 19, 2018
Snake Rearing A Lucrative Business

Abubakar Ballah, the Officer-in-Charge of Snakebite Treatment and Research Centre, Kaltungo, Gombe state, has called on Nigerians to embrace snake rearing to enhance their economic status.

Mr Ballah told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kaltungo on Friday that snake rearing is one of the most profitable trades in the world.

According to him, the high cost of snake venom used by pharmaceutical industries in producing anti snake venom has glorified the business.

“An ounce of the venom of a Carpet viper snake is 500 USD, that of Cobra and Puff adder snakes cost 400 USD.

“The good thing about the business is that you can find market easily through the internet,” the official said.

Mr Ballah said that apart from the production of anti snakebite venoms, the pharmaceutical industries use the snake venoms in the production of anti hypertensive, cancer and ulcer drugs.

Besides selling the snakes to pharmaceutical firms, he disclosed that the reptiles could be sold to earn foreign exchange.

“For example, Indonesia has the largest reservoir of snakes in the world, very beautiful, colourful and harmless, and the government of that country exports them to earn revenue,” he said.

“In the area of fashion, the skins of the reptile are used in the production of fanciful belts, ladies handbags, shoes and other items.

“It is therefore ironical to see fashion-conscious people, dressed in shoes, belts and handbags made from snake skins, either having phobia for live snakes, or see the reptile as enemy number one,” he observed.

In the area of nature’s own nourishment, the officer said snake meat is a favourite delicacy in some African and Asian countries.

“They remove the venom and prepare special pepper soup, especially the python meat, which tastes like fish meat,” he said.

Ballah said in the area of agriculture, snakes help in balancing the ecosystem on farmlands by reducing the number of destructive rodents, thereby enabling farmers to enjoy bumper harvest.

“Farmers do not go out at night to check their farms; snakes do that for them, as such the reptiles are supposed to be friends of farmers, not enemies,” he added.

He attributed the phobia for snakes by people to the awesome charisma of the elegant reptile, but stressed that snakes were harmless, and that they only bite in self-defence.

“In most cases, it is only when it feels threatened that it bites, just like any human being will not hesitate to throw a punch at any enemy, real or imagined.

“So more often than not, we have cases of people, either advertently or otherwise, stepping on snakes and the reptile bites back out of the instinct to protect itself.

“That is why when a snake gets to hear any movement from far, it tries to run away but when pursued and placed in a tight corner, it reacts if it has the means to do so,” he explained.

On how to rear snakes considering that taming same is a herculian task, the officer said interested persons could either engage the services of snake charmers for a fee per snake, or engage in joint business with the charmers.

He noted that Nigeria was blessed with varieties of snakes spread all over the country, as exemplified by what obtains in Kaltungo town of Gombe state.

Ballah underscored the need to harness same and generate revenue at individual and government levels.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/280666-snake-rearing-a-lucrative-business-official.html

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 19, 2018
I have never seen a live snake

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by BiafranBushBoy: 3:07pm On Aug 19, 2018
Lalasticlala... Do you know you are going to be rich? cheesy

Snake for sale

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by Menh: 3:13pm On Aug 19, 2018
Lalasticlala right now grin

174 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by dingbang(m): 3:15pm On Aug 19, 2018
grin

I hope you are ready to add snake to the menu cheesy

10 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by PUSSYBBQGRILLS(f): 3:16pm On Aug 19, 2018
Very informative thread. I need to research more on snake rearing. Sounds very lucrative.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:30pm On Aug 19, 2018
dingbang:
grin

I hope you are ready to add snake to the menu cheesy
No, thank you!
We jump am pass! cheesy wink

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by d4real890(m): 3:32pm On Aug 19, 2018
Temi bami��snake rearing bi ti bawo I think lalasticlala would be a very rich and generous man if he should start rearing it and he has to sit in the midst of dangote otedola and co..............

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by Menh: 3:34pm On Aug 19, 2018
PUSSYBBQGRILLS:
Very informative thread. I need to research more on snake rearing. Sounds very lucrative.
Share the outcome of your research with us
Money must be made

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by Ever8054: 3:48pm On Aug 19, 2018
PUSSYBBQGRILLS:
dont forget to share the bite and extent of injury here so we can know more about ya condition....

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by Kwamecron(m): 3:57pm On Aug 19, 2018
Webdon hear now
Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by eddyghali(m): 4:55pm On Aug 19, 2018
Had a few snakes in my custody some years ago after graduating, got frustrated as i couldn't sell nor put it to further use...so i killed them.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by Menh: 5:47pm On Aug 19, 2018
eddyghali:
Had a few snakes in my custody some years ago after graduating, got frustrated as i couldn't sell nor put it to further use...so i killed them.
Why killed them? You should have contacted Lalas Snake Consultancy Ltd wink

24 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 19, 2018
Okay,i go change bussiness den

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by donnie(m): 7:19pm On Aug 19, 2018
shocked

Please they should come and take all the snake from my farm. My wife will be very happy.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by OboOlora(f): 7:19pm On Aug 19, 2018
Lala right now

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by wunmi590(m): 7:19pm On Aug 19, 2018
So snake has turned to dog abi, shior
Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by Burger01(m): 7:20pm On Aug 19, 2018
God forbid angry
Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by olafunny(m): 7:20pm On Aug 19, 2018
I'm sure LaLa paid you to do this

14 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by point5: 7:21pm On Aug 19, 2018
Some kind post tire me...dis one sef

12 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by mytime24(f): 7:22pm On Aug 19, 2018
Lala family bizness

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by davidque: 7:22pm On Aug 19, 2018
mrAMG:
are you serious? Do you live under a rock
Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by lifestyle1(m): 7:22pm On Aug 19, 2018
Why is it that Rrisky and dangerous business are always the most profitable ?

I will pass..

Thank you.

sad
Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by bedspread: 7:23pm On Aug 19, 2018
LaLa and Friends will Gladly Invest in this Business

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by israelmao(m): 7:25pm On Aug 19, 2018
Dangerous business
Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by Oyindidi(f): 7:25pm On Aug 19, 2018
I no fit bold look the picture for this thread. Definitely not my kind of business even if I'll make a million daily

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by davillian(m): 7:26pm On Aug 19, 2018
Anybody doing this kind of business should have it in mind that the snake will kill him/her one day.

7 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 19, 2018
mrAMG:
lol
Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by Nobody: 7:28pm On Aug 19, 2018
eddyghali:
oshey Custodian

7 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by zuby94: 7:29pm On Aug 19, 2018
BiafranBushBoy:
Lalasticlala... Do you know you are going to be rich? cheesy

Snake for sale
Lol
Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by sanchybaby: 7:29pm On Aug 19, 2018
Even the common animals we have not fully harness it.... Snake rearing in this careless country. We go die finish

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah by adisabarber(m): 7:30pm On Aug 19, 2018
Imagine counting the rattle snakes on your farm and you discover one of them is missing grin

43 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos From Giwa Farmers Market In Kaduna Prove Nigeria Is blessed In Agric / Sugarcane Seller Using POS For His Business - Photos / Maddman 90% Winning Bets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.