Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:45 AM

How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling (11240 Views)

Man Burnt To Death While Travelling From Bauchi To Jos(graphic Photos) / Female Corper Burnt After In Motor Accident While Travelling. Graphic Photos / Passenger Ties Goat Along With Luggage On Top Of A Bus While Travelling (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by Revolva(m): 3:12pm On Aug 19, 2018
Culture shock is not uncommon, especially when visiting a new destination. It can be overwhelming, scary and lonely.  If you’re considering travelling abroad but are concerned about culture shock, know that there are ways you can overcome it. i share few strategies that can help you.

Embrace the differences

One of the first thing you must do if and when you experience culture shock is to recognise and embrace the differences. This will definitely help you settle in and actually enjoy your trip.

Keep learning

Learning is an important part of life and the more you learn, the better for you to overcome culture shock. Hence, before you travel, you can do proper research to learn about the locale you are visiting.

Eat somewhere interesting

A big part of overcoming culture shock is exploring and familiarizing yourself with local cuisine. It can be fun to visit restaurants with a unique ambience or an interesting menu. The many side dishes and the novelty of cooking your own food at the table meant each meal was an exciting experience.

Embrace the local language.

A language barrier can make culture shock even tougher. So, speaking even a couple words in their language showed that you are at least trying. This is the case with store owners, strangers on the street and people you will. Embracing the local language will allow you to unlock more knowledge about the culture, too, because the two are intertwined.

Remember why you’re there

Remember that you are travelling for a reason. The reason is for exploration and learning more about the world. Keeping that in mind will help you overcome the struggles of culture shock and embrace and enjoy the once-in-a-lifetime journey.

http://demgohearword.com/how-to-deal-with-culture-shock-while-travelling/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by SageTravels: 5:10pm On Aug 19, 2018
Nice article. If you visit a new destination as a tourist, mind what you say. don't discuss politics.

23 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by pocohantas(f): 7:18pm On Aug 19, 2018
SageTravels:
Nice article. If you visit a new destination as a tourist, mind what you say. don't discuss politics.

and religion

36 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by OboOlora(f): 7:22pm On Aug 19, 2018
pocohantas:

and religion
And don’t kill animals indiscriminately

33 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by smart3856bwji: 7:22pm On Aug 19, 2018
shocked

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by damlawrence101: 7:22pm On Aug 19, 2018
Especially middle East nation
Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by dingbang(m): 7:23pm On Aug 19, 2018
And also the tribes that don't wear cloth.

Meanwhile, esteemed first bank customers, y'all can now perform wonderful transactions on the first mobile app, please click the link on my signature for more details on how to register, thanks .
Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by BLAQUEWELSH: 7:23pm On Aug 19, 2018
OboOlora:

What type of animals are we talking about please?
Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by point5: 7:24pm On Aug 19, 2018
U gat Brian..

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by Pavore9: 7:25pm On Aug 19, 2018
Be open to diversity. Recall my initial shock seeing ground uziza seeds (black pepper) that I grew up knowing as a spice for soup being boiled together with milk and served as part of breakfast but am now addicted to it! cheesy

7 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by doctore212(m): 7:25pm On Aug 19, 2018
My first culture shock was when I went to a sex doll factory in Bulgaria and saw how many people were ordering them

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by Alejoc(m): 7:26pm On Aug 19, 2018
I love traveling cheesy

3 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by Oyindidi(f): 7:27pm On Aug 19, 2018
I travelled recently, I see where person use hand dey pack shyte. I no fit embrace that culture shock.. cry

2 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by Ejiod(m): 7:33pm On Aug 19, 2018
On such, just act as fluid flowing with the tide
Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by Jaqenhghar: 7:33pm On Aug 19, 2018
For Niggerian men Id say please when a woman smiles or says hello it does t mean she loves you. When a woman dresses skimpily it doesn't mean you should rape her. When a woman visits you in your house or is your flatmate it is not an invitation to fúck her

14 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by Radiant1020(f): 7:33pm On Aug 19, 2018
And be careful with the way you dress
Cause you might offend some people

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by obaataaokpaewu: 7:33pm On Aug 19, 2018
I don't know why I find local foods that I didn't eat while growing up difficult to eat. Been years in Delta now but I haven't tasted Starch, Owho, Banga and co. Each time I travel to Lagos, I only eat rice. Even the Egusi soup dey fear me to chop embarassed embarassed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by tartar9(m): 7:36pm On Aug 19, 2018
"If you’re considering travelling abroad but are concerned about culture shock"
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by alBHAGDADI: 7:38pm On Aug 19, 2018
Oyindidi:
I travelled recently, I see where person use hand dey pack shyte. I no fit embrace that culture shock.. cry
But you wipe your behind with your hand na.
Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by Oyindidi(f): 7:43pm On Aug 19, 2018
alBHAGDADI:
But you wipe your behind with your hand na.
In public, oga I know you're one of them. Please do it in your house not in the open
Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by Homeboiy: 7:49pm On Aug 19, 2018
GST 123

So u mean I should eat amala n ewedu when I visit oyo

guy I hate that food
Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by DavidEsq(m): 7:49pm On Aug 19, 2018
OboOlora:

And don't start pursuing women anyhow. She may be the chief's wife. Gbege don burst for u be dat grin

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by EzeIgboNwaChukwu(m): 7:50pm On Aug 19, 2018
dingbang:
And also the tribes that don't wear cloth.

you mean like Those flat head nyamiris from the Yeast.

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by OboOlora(f): 7:52pm On Aug 19, 2018
DavidEsq:

And don't start pursuing women anyhow. She may be the chief's wife. Gbege don burst for u be dat grin
Lol
Like when we went to Mexico and my brother in law was chyking d GF of a drug lord. Omo, we had to cut short our trip o, we kept seeing strange faces at our hotel floor after receiving different threats
Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by DavidEsq(m): 7:56pm On Aug 19, 2018
OboOlora:

Lol
Like when we went to Mexico and my brother in law was chyking d GF of a drug lord. Omo, we had to cut short our trip o, we kept seeing strange faces at our hotel floor after receiving different threats
grin grin. U see Wetin I dey talk? Na so the Al Pacino and e gang for dey pursue una around Mexico grin

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by ZZ22: 7:59pm On Aug 19, 2018
The first time i went to Northern part of Nigeria i saw a group of adults playing football in the street on a MONDAY MORNING. Thats a big shock to me

7 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by pristine88: 8:04pm On Aug 19, 2018
Jaqenhghar:
For Niggerian men Id say please when a woman smiles or says hello it does t mean she loves you. When a woman dresses skimpily it doesn't mean you should rape her. When a woman visits you in your house or is your flatmate it is not an invitation to fúck her

Una No dey Tire For Nigerian Men Slander.....This is a rather stupid Post

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by Gerrard59(m): 8:13pm On Aug 19, 2018
pristine88:

But he's right na. Is it not on NL we see people condoning rape because a lady is dressed "indecently"? Meanwhile, in Japan, China and Singapore, ladies dress "worse" than in Nigeria. Yet the rape cases are low.

3 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by Jaqenhghar: 8:24pm On Aug 19, 2018
pristine88:

You have been noticed. Now fúck off
Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by JacksonOyibo: 8:25pm On Aug 19, 2018
smiley
Re: How To Deal With Culture Shock While Travelling by mekleelex200(m): 8:37pm On Aug 19, 2018
DavidEsq:

grin grin. U see Wetin I dey talk? Na so the Al Pacino and e gang for dey pursue una around Mexico grin
If na true e, una dey lucky oo. Mexican and Colombians na people u don't joke especially their drug cartels, they don't stop until u go down, please make una do Thanksgiving.

(1) (2) (Reply)

One Dead, Three Others Injured In Akwa Ibom Auto Crash / Christmas: Enugu Indigenes Get Free Transport From Gov. Ugwuanyi / Sudan War: Fourth Batch Of Nigerians Arrive Abuja From Egypt (Video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.