Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,899 members, 7,806,627 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:20 PM

13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released - Gaming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released (17332 Views)

Video Games That Were Way Ahead Of Their Time / 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You / Video Games That Killed People In Real Life (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Leopantro: 7:51pm On Aug 20, 2018
Vasaratti16:
#2: Shenmue

Sega's multi-million dollar medium-shaker is routinely the embodiment of something that was going to 'change everything' - though in this case, it was centred on progressing how narratives and stories are told in video games.

In a way, Shenmue did succeed - every single Dreamcast owner played it, and there are a number of game mechanics like quick-time events, sporadic minigames and environmental object interaction that would go on to directly influence everything from Heavy Rain to Yakuza and even L.A. Noire.

That said, take a step back from the inbuilt console audience readily available for Shenmue, and the game releasing mere months after the mighty PS2 meant the vast majority of punters completely missed out.

Being its budget was around $70 million, it would've required a relentless stream of sales to recoup - something Sega just couldn't deliver when they were up against such relentlessly juggernaut competition.
Retrospectively, Shenmue was clearly ahead of its time , though many of its biggest innovations are still attributed to the more widespread likes of David Cage's games or Telltale's first season of The Walking Dead.

Shenmue was a wonderful game and was way ahead of all other games but i agree it failed after it was released.
Shenmue 2 was just not it.

Seriously, 500 hrs per person?
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by olatade(m): 7:52pm On Aug 20, 2018
jnrbayano:

Which of the Sub Zeros?

Me na Emarc, Kabal and Sindel....but I dey knack all man comfortably but those 3 are when I wanna make sure you don't smell a victory

nightwolf was my man back in the days
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Ytgud: 7:52pm On Aug 20, 2018
Who will suggest to me an interesting offline game?
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Topmaike007(m): 7:52pm On Aug 20, 2018
Crash is still the best
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by drey08(m): 7:52pm On Aug 20, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
You go chop am

Location?
sagamu
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:54pm On Aug 20, 2018
drey08:
sagamu
Sorry, I'm in Abuja tongue
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by jnrbayano(m): 7:55pm On Aug 20, 2018
olatade:

nightwolf was my man back in the days

Bloody guy with super moves....I love him also
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by LZAA: 7:56pm On Aug 20, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
Pro Evolution Soccer remains the best
U don play pes lately?
Broda u go run
The game is sheer horror
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:56pm On Aug 20, 2018
jnrbayano:

Which of the Sub Zeros?

Me na Emarc, Kabal and Sindel....but I dey knack all man comfortably but those 3 are when I wanna make sure you don't smell a victory
Sub was my guy back then as well as Jax (for his masculinity). Win or lose, I always stand with them.
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Hopebringer: 7:57pm On Aug 20, 2018
jnrbayano:
Ultimate Mortal Kombat SEGA and Nintendo continue to reign supreme

Like when you carry Nightwolf knack that combo wey dey end with Axe uppercut use that green coloured shoulder hit complete am.

Knack Jade complete combo

Knack Kabal Combo ending with uppercut still leg kick that person for up add am fireball for air

What of Kun Lao full combo?

Emarcs 2hits ending with uppercut, combine am with voking still finish am with another uppercut? Short but mighty

Sindel 4hits ending with uppercut, still jump kick and fireball for air....

What of Jax 13hits for TV corner? The list continues

Those days mehn

After kabals jumpkick and fireball in the car air you land release a ground saw <<<R then followed quickly a tackle <A for extra 2 hits added to the kombo

If you know you know
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by LZAA: 7:57pm On Aug 20, 2018
Ytgud:
All games have off/online options bro
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:57pm On Aug 20, 2018
LZAA:

U don play pes lately?
Broda u go run
The game is sheer horror
You are talking of PES 18? My only problem with PES is their incorrect naming of teams.
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by jnrbayano(m): 7:57pm On Aug 20, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
Sub was my guy back then as well as Jazz (for his masculinity). Win or lose, I always stand with them.

Which of the subzeros?
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by drey08(m): 7:57pm On Aug 20, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
Sorry, I'm in Abuja tongue
you can come online if you get good network,that is where the original Konami players live if not you're shit grin
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by jnrbayano(m): 7:58pm On Aug 20, 2018
Hopebringer:

After kabals jumpkick and finally in the car air you land release a ground saw <<<R then followed quickly a tackle <A for extra 2 hits added to the kombo

If you know you know

cool
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:59pm On Aug 20, 2018
drey08:
you can come online if you get good network
Bros, na offline sure pass... I would be distracted online due to terrible network
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Hopebringer: 7:59pm On Aug 20, 2018
physise:
This is debatable. Gta iv is still loved and cherished by the gta community and dare i say that some even consider gta iv to be better than gta v. The only disaster gta iv had was the bad port on pc.

Exactly this article is outdated and trash

He even listed final fantasy XIV? That the update A realm reborn broke records

SMH

3 Likes

Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by LZAA: 7:59pm On Aug 20, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

You are talking of PES 18? My only problem with PES is their incorrect naming of teams.
That one is license problem
Fifa get all the license now and champions league which used to be pes's forte
Me dy yarn gameplay
They tried too hard to copy fifa tho this aint the first time(they also did it in 08 and 09)
Pes fan by the way
Hate fifa
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by drey08(m): 8:01pm On Aug 20, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
Bros, na offline sure pass... I would be distracted online due to terrible network
online is where the real players live if you know you know
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by holuphisayor(m): 8:02pm On Aug 20, 2018
I don't like playing adventure games.
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:02pm On Aug 20, 2018
jnrbayano:

Which of the subzeros?

Bi-Han
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:03pm On Aug 20, 2018
drey08:
online is where the real players live if you know you know
True but Naija network isn't reliable
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:04pm On Aug 20, 2018
LZAA:

That one is license problem
Fifa get all the license now and champions league which used to be pes's forte
Me dy yarn gameplay
They tried too hard to copy fifa tho this aint the first time(they also did it in 08 and 09)
Pes fan by the way
Hate fifa
Walai I hate FIFA but I may as well port to FIFA.

The Champions League is bae but PES ML is unbeatable

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Hopebringer: 8:04pm On Aug 20, 2018
jnrbayano:

Which of the Sub Zeros?

Close your mouth, that's how guys like you talk... It's ordinary scorpion I use to sort people like you out

1 Like

Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Hopebringer: 8:05pm On Aug 20, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
True but Naija network isn't reliable

Says who? I have been using swift for online gaming in Nigeria for over 7 years
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Hopebringer: 8:06pm On Aug 20, 2018
drey08:
you can come online if you get good network,that is where the original Konami players live if not you're shit grin

Mouth makers plenty here Sha

I am already king online on the PES 19 demo

Bow before his eminence

Plead now for my mercy
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Hopebringer: 8:08pm On Aug 20, 2018
Ytgud:

It depends what you favor

Adventure, FPS, RPG, Kombat, sports? Which?

What platform do you paly on?
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by drey08(m): 8:10pm On Aug 20, 2018
Hopebringer:

Mouth makers plenty here Sha

I am already king online on the PES 19 demo

Bow before his eminence

Plead now for my mercy
ogbeni it's not hard contact me and chop cane
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by general111(m): 8:11pm On Aug 20, 2018
Hopebringer:

After kabals jumpkick and fireball in the car air you land release a ground saw <<<R then followed quickly a tackle <A for extra 2 hits added to the kombo

If you know you know
have you heard of a certain noob sai bot grin
Hopebringer:

If you know you know
have you heard of a certain noob sai bot
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Hopebringer: 8:18pm On Aug 20, 2018
general111:
have you heard of a certain noob sai bot ;Dhave you heard of a certain noob sai bot

All noobs openers are very easy countered , his linkers can be croken then by tapping^ + R or L

Noob was too weak against a pro
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Penboy: 8:24pm On Aug 20, 2018
jnrbayano:
Ultimate Mortal Kombat SEGA and Nintendo continue to reign supreme

Like when you carry Nightwolf knack that combo wey dey end with Axe uppercut use that green coloured shoulder hit complete am.

Knack Jade complete combo

Knack Kabal Combo ending with uppercut still leg kick that person for up add am fireball for air

What of Kun Lao full combo?

Emarcs 2hits ending with uppercut, combine am with voking still finish am with another uppercut? Short but mighty

Sindel 4hits ending with uppercut, still jump kick and fireball for air....

What of Jax 13hits for TV corner? The list continues

Those days mehn

I duff my hat man.
Using Noob saibot to get to the last boss.
And then sub zero to finish shao Khan.

Back in the days man.

1 Like

Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by ogtavia(m): 8:26pm On Aug 20, 2018
Vasaratti16:
#5: Grand Theft Auto IV

Controversial, yes, as GTA IV is by no means a bad game - it's just a bad Grand Theft Auto game.

And when we're talking about titles that completely failed at living up to their respective hype or those that attempted a new direction and failed, Rockstar's pivot away from the characterful likes of Vice City and San Andreas into this maudlin, washed out, 'serious' tonality has been seen as the outlier ever since, especially when looking at the franchise as a whole.

When you consider that Rockstar were clearly having their 'rebellious phase' throughout the original trilogy and its experimental mission designs (Love Machine weaponry and Area 69 stealth sections, anyone?), they designed GTA IV through marketing, story and character to be a new direction for GTA as a franchise, leaving the 'childish' stuff to Saints Row.

As time has shown, that approach didn't connect, leaving the company to go back to the drawing board and design GTA V as one big apology to everything they attempted five years prior, restoring the 'wackiness' through both Michael's family and Trevor's... well, everything.

To that end, why do you think Trevor so adversely and brutally stomped the life out of GTA IV's Johnny Klebitz?
GTA IV didnt fail. Sales. Within twenty-four hours of its release, Grand Theft Auto IV sold over 3.6 million copies, equating to approximately $310 million in revenue. Within a week, it generated more than $500 million in worldwide revenue, equating to approximately 6 million copies sold for Take Two.

Stop with all these your fallacies.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Most Popular Games Of The Year 2018 / Come Here For Your Pc Games!!! New 2015 Games / Chroma: A New Android Game Made By Me!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.