Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,241 members, 7,807,819 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released - Gaming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released (17337 Views)

Video Games That Were Way Ahead Of Their Time / 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You / Video Games That Killed People In Real Life (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by PotatoSalad(m): 8:31pm On Aug 20, 2018
I don't know about other games but no man's sky was terrible. Fallout 4 too.
Castlevenia 2 too
Sniper ghost shooter too.
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Dollarship(m): 8:38pm On Aug 20, 2018
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by cao(f): 8:52pm On Aug 20, 2018
Abeg, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West was good-o. More like poor marketing, the same thing that killed Beyond Good & Evil. Those two games were one of my best bargain bin finds. Man, I remember being hyped for Too Human and abandoning it on my 360.
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by directonpc(m): 8:55pm On Aug 20, 2018
Legend of Zelda: breath of the wild *runs*
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by cao(f): 8:58pm On Aug 20, 2018
Ytgud:
Who will suggest to me an interesting offline game?
The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Sleeping Dogs, Batman (any of the Arkham series)...

3 Likes

Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Kabaka100: 8:58pm On Aug 20, 2018
What about "Spores? "
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by LOVEGINO(m): 9:00pm On Aug 20, 2018
jnrbayano:
Ultimate Mortal Kombat SEGA and Nintendo continue to reign supreme

Like when you carry Nightwolf knack that combo wey dey end with Axe uppercut use that green coloured shoulder hit complete am.

Knack Jade complete combo

Knack Kabal Combo ending with uppercut still leg kick that person for up add am fireball for air

What of Kun Lao full combo?

Emarcs 2hits ending with uppercut, combine am with voking still finish am with another uppercut? Short but mighty

Sindel 4hits ending with uppercut, still jump kick and fireball for air....

What of Jax 13hits for TV corner? The list continues

Those days mehn
guy u just bring back Gud old memories. I sabi almost all their brutalities and fatalities. I never see game wey I enjoy like dis especially for Sega. Twas fun mheeeeeeen.

1 Like

Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Heavance(m): 9:02pm On Aug 20, 2018
jnrbayano:
Ultimate Mortal Kombat SEGA and Nintendo continue to reign supreme

Like when you carry Nightwolf knack that combo wey dey end with Axe uppercut use that green coloured shoulder hit complete am.

Knack Jade complete combo

Knack Kabal Combo ending with uppercut still leg kick that person for up add am fireball for air

What of Kun Lao full combo?

Emarcs 2hits ending with uppercut, combine am with voking still finish am with another uppercut? Short but mighty

Sindel 4hits ending with uppercut, still jump kick and fireball for air....

What of Jax 13hits for TV corner? The list continues

Those days mehn
Chai your head dey there o

1 Like

Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Nobody: 9:10pm On Aug 20, 2018
Shemue was a hit if everyone had it maybe it didn't sell as well as they expected but it was a pretty neat game with great graphics imagine being able to buy coca cola from a vending machine and use the phone etc You could even catch the bus and even get job where you could earn money it was games like this that gave the plot for GTA 3 to build on. GTA IV in my opinion was a success because of the Russian bit everyone has always dreamed of playing a foreign character in a GTA series and it was a step up from one that couldn't speak like someone said it depends on the gamer. I liked the fact that you had a phone and you could actually do activities at your leisure plus the radio stations particularly the chat ones were so funny.

its all about improvement and GTA V should have allowed us to buy and sell property to earn money and not just carry all the fun online imagine online as soon as you enter they just kill you lol no stopping no waiting everyone is looking for money
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by pocohantas(f): 9:11pm On Aug 20, 2018
Thegamingorca, when will you create this type of thread?

Endtime gamer grin
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Trex4(m): 9:17pm On Aug 20, 2018
PotatoSalad:
I don't know about other games but no man's sky was terrible. Fallout 4 too.
Castlevenia 2 too
Sniper ghost shooter too.
Fallout 4 Terrible
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by wayodude(m): 9:18pm On Aug 20, 2018
Shenmue will live forever with me, I still have it in my garage. What a game! Takes me back to when I was in uni and the fact that it can still compare with games today says it all. Sad it never sold as it should have.
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Geniro: 9:24pm On Aug 20, 2018
jnrbayano:

Which of the Sub Zeros?

Me na Emarc, Kabal and Sindel....but I dey knack all man comfortably but those 3 are when I wanna make sure you don't smell a victory

When I mean business na Smoke, Kabal and unmasked Sunzero. But I was a master of all.
If I wan troll na Shamsung I dey use grin

Those days was lit
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Heavance(m): 9:26pm On Aug 20, 2018
jnrbayano:

Which of the Sub Zeros?

Me na Emarc, Kabal and Sindel....but I dey knack all man comfortably but those 3 are when I wanna make sure you don't smell a victory
If I use Scorpion and ninja Smoke on sega
You no fit see draw o
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Leopantro: 9:28pm On Aug 20, 2018
cao:
Abeg, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West was good-o. More like poor marketing, the same thing that killed Beyond Good & Evil. Those two games were one of my best bargain bin finds. Man, I remember being hyped for Too Human and abandoning it on my 360.

Beyond Good and Evil. such a lovely game.
fighting the last boss backwards was hard af
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Vacora(m): 9:28pm On Aug 20, 2018
Vasaratti16:
#1: Destiny

"Bungie are doing it again" they said.

"It's the next Halo", they said.

Little did all the press outlets and hands-on impressions know, the code and set of missions available before

launch and during the beta was... the exact same we'd get for $60. Over time it would be revealed that Bungie's higher-ups gutted everything about the game other than its combat mere months before launch, resulting in something that played exquisitely (this was Bungie, after all), but whose depth was entirely surface level.

Microtransactions and DLC story segments followed, as did the news that the game itself cost a ludicrous 500 million dollars to develop. Bungie touted a '10 year plan' for the franchise too, yet that only succeeded in peeing off the vast majority of consumers before Destiny had left the starting gate.

Destiny remains one of the biggest missed opportunities in gaming, and although its player base have an average of 500 hours per person (yes, really), this was 'the next Halo' like the original Kinect was the next step in gameplay interaction.

Dude, clarify Destiny or Destiny 2? I am a clan member and know other players who have religiously followed the game franchise avidly for years. Destiny 2 was a dud in some respects however both games are still a commercial success for Bungie despite the mixed reception. Micro transactions with the Eververse malarky did not start until Destiny 2. Other issues mentioned such as the XP throttling scandal, multiple repeat same exotics rewards, lack of storyline and weapon reskins did not start until Destiny 2.
You made quite a bold statement saying it failed at the first hurdle and I await your ‘facts’ instead of opinions. Below are the aggregate scores for your number 1 failure of a video game courtesy Wikipedia

Reception
Aggregate scores. :
Metacritic
(PS4) 76/100
(XONE) 75/100

Review & Publication
Scores :
AllGame
2.5/5 stars
CVG
8/10
Eurogamer
8/10
Game Informer
8.75/10
GameSpot
6/10
GamesRadar+
4.5/5 stars
GameTrailers
8/10
Giant Bomb
3/5 stars
IGN
7.8/10
Joystiq
4/5 stars
OXM (US)
8/10
Polygon
6/10
Hardcore Gamer
4/5
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Walebanj10: 9:29pm On Aug 20, 2018
Vasaratti16:
#7: KillZone

How to kill a franchise in the eyes of the public with just two words? Brand it the "Halo killer".
In reality, Guerrilla Games' brown n' grey shooter had about as much chance taking down the Halo of the early 2000s as a mouse's fart would knock Superman off course

It wasn't that gameplay was fundamentally broken or anything (aside from making you switch to grenades, anyway - something Halo had made a one-button thing), but everything about Killzone came with this weirdly glum, morose feel that actively discouraged you progressing any further.

Even the various ranks of the almost-iconic Helghast blurred into one after a few minutes, and when gameplay never extended out of the barest refinements on 'point at enemy, shoot enemy, reload, repeat' over four instalments, it was time to throw in the towel.

Thankfully, although it would take them over a decade to realise, Sony finally freed Guerrilla from putting out aggressively average FPS campaigns, letting them move onto Horizon Zero Dawn with much better results.

Go on, name one thing you like(d) about Killzone. I'll wait.

seems u never play killzone, No shooter feels more like real shooter than killzone2 and black
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by GidiGamers: 9:33pm On Aug 20, 2018
Walebanj10:

seems u never play killzone, No shooter feels more like real shooter than killzone2 and black

killzone was rubbish joor , didnt even finish the game before throwing it in the trash I regretted buying the game. even there was already bad reviews for the game I form stubborn head and bought the game since I was a lover of shooter. I later regret it
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Spuggie: 9:47pm On Aug 20, 2018
Vasaratti16:
#5: Grand Theft Auto IV

Controversial, yes, as GTA IV is by no means a bad game - it's just a bad Grand Theft Auto game.

And when we're talking about titles that completely failed at living up to their respective hype or those that attempted a new direction and failed, Rockstar's pivot away from the characterful likes of Vice City and San Andreas into this maudlin, washed out, 'serious' tonality has been seen as the outlier ever since, especially when looking at the franchise as a whole.

When you consider that Rockstar were clearly having their 'rebellious phase' throughout the original trilogy and its experimental mission designs (Love Machine weaponry and Area 69 stealth sections, anyone?), they designed GTA IV through marketing, story and character to be a new direction for GTA as a franchise, leaving the 'childish' stuff to Saints Row.

As time has shown, that approach didn't connect, leaving the company to go back to the drawing board and design GTA V as one big apology to everything they attempted five years prior, restoring the 'wackiness' through both Michael's family and Trevor's... well, everything.

To that end, why do you think Trevor so adversely and brutally stomped the life out of GTA IV's Johnny Klebitz?

That's not true bro. Your analysis can at best be described as faulty. GTA IV is way better than GTA V. BTW, GTA IV is one of the best games rockstar have produced.
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Thegamingorca(m): 10:01pm On Aug 20, 2018
pocohantas:

Endtime gamer grin

Nahhhh I don't swing that way
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by EwuOjota: 10:06pm On Aug 20, 2018
pocohantas:

Endtime gamer grin

Why are you ignoring me?or are you married already?
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by blaqtom(m): 10:08pm On Aug 20, 2018
drey08:
you want to disgrace yourself in pes 18? contact me

Your psn id.....mine nyebro0147
If u win 2out of 5 u try
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by blaqtom(m): 10:11pm On Aug 20, 2018
Hopebringer:

Mouth makers plenty here Sha

I am already king online on the PES 19 demo

Bow before his eminence

Plead now for my mercy

Your psn ID
Mine nyebro0147
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Ibroscope89: 10:12pm On Aug 20, 2018
This list no complete unless d op add the order 1886 to it....
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Hopebringer: 10:20pm On Aug 20, 2018
blaqtom:

Your psn ID
Mine nyebro0147

Go add you up
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by drey08(m): 10:37pm On Aug 20, 2018
blaqtom:

Your psn id.....mine nyebro0147
If u win 2out of 5 u try
just wait till am back from holiday next month naija network not so good check my signature for whatsapp.
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Csami(m): 11:06pm On Aug 20, 2018
Don't know about you but Sonic the hedgehog was lit for me.
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 20, 2018
LZAA:

That one is license problem
Fifa get all the license now and champions league which used to be pes's forte
Me dy yarn gameplay
They tried too hard to copy fifa tho this aint the first time(they also did it in 08 and 09)
Pes fan by the way
Hate fifa
u get fifa18 pc?

1 Like

Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by PotatoSalad(m): 11:36pm On Aug 20, 2018
Trex4:
Fallout 4 Terrible
Wasn't worth the hype
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by LZAA: 12:08am On Aug 21, 2018
CarlyX8:

u get fifa18 pc?
No bro
Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by HyDef(m): 12:35am On Aug 21, 2018
I knew No Man's Sky had to make it. cheesy

But Shenmue... I wouldn't quite have it on this list. I guess you mean it failed financially though. It sold a shit-ton of copies, but the budget was too ambitious to recoup. So it was technically a very successful title, but it couldn't break even.

1 Like

Re: 13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released by Nobody: 12:48am On Aug 21, 2018
Vacora:

Dude, clarify Destiny or Destiny 2? I am a clan member and know other players who have religiously followed the game franchise avidly for years. Destiny 2 was a dud in some respects however both games are still a commercial success for Bungie despite the mixed reception. Micro transactions with the Eververse malarky did not start until Destiny 2. Other issues mentioned such as the XP throttling scandal, multiple repeat same exotics rewards, lack of storyline and weapon reskins did not start until Destiny 2.
You made quite a bold statement saying it failed at the first hurdle and I await your ‘facts’ instead of opinions. Below are the aggregate scores for your number 1 failure of a video game courtesy Wikipedia

Reception
Aggregate scores. :
Metacritic
(PS4) 76/100
(XONE) 75/100

Review & Publication
Scores :
AllGame
2.5/5 stars
CVG
8/10
Eurogamer
8/10
Game Informer
8.75/10
GameSpot
6/10
GamesRadar+
4.5/5 stars
GameTrailers
8/10
Giant Bomb
3/5 stars
IGN
7.8/10
Joystiq
4/5 stars
OXM (US)
8/10
Polygon
6/10
Hardcore Gamer
4/5

I understand why you might think Destiny  was a successful video game, Afterall Destiny 2 is the second best-selling game of 2017 , and it got largely positive reviews (overhyped reviews to be precise, probably paid reviews). The PC version was also considered a fantastic port, On paper, everything seemed perfect, but then reality hit: something is obviously wrong with the game. You dont believe huh? this link shows how financial analysts and gaming experts admitted  that  the game is struggling.

https://www.pcgamer.com/destiny-2-is-not-in-a-good-place-says-analyst-in-wake-of-microtransaction-concerns/

But that obviously isn't all. It's surprising how alot of so called "loyal" fans could have quickly turned their backs on the  game that was so popular just few months ago but(check their bungie's online community to see the utter disgust of users towards the game). I think I have an explanation though, the game has been criminally overhyped right from onset, it's good game, but it was overhyped.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Most Popular Games Of The Year 2018 / Come Here For Your Pc Games!!! New 2015 Games / Chroma: A New Android Game Made By Me!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.