Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,453 members, 7,808,610 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer (3560 Views)

Why Has My NETELLER Account Been Disabled? / See How A Disabled Is Hawking Biscuits On The Road "Touching" / Naira Cards To Be Disabled For International Use From Jan 1st, 2016? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by CGKing(m): 12:10pm On Jun 26, 2010
My Lord Thy God!!!

Ppl cant even recognise opportunities when they see one. Go loan some quid and get a lawyer. You wont need to go to the bank to cash money for a long time cos your house go full of am.

PHB showed me no be small.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by coolier(f): 4:19pm On Jun 26, 2010
maxxy:

I think it would be good for us to know the nature of the walking aid. Are they made of metals, iron or wood?

I wouldn't know that. 'Am just a concerned citizen myself.

maxxy:

But where the customer insists on entering the bank, you begin to wonder,  why must he enter the bank?

Because the customer is the account holder and he has business to transact in the bank.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by HolyMikel(m): 9:44pm On Jun 26, 2010
@ Coolier,
sorry about what happened to you at the bank's premises but on a second thought we all know the security situation of the country especially the frequent attacks of armed robbers on banks.
who knows whether you are forerunner? we dont even know whether your story is credible as your profile says you are in UK but you are complaining about a branch in Nigeria.
the security men should rather be praised for doing their job well. you need to see the pictures of the recent attack on banks in Akure.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Outstrip(f): 10:14pm On Jun 26, 2010
I guess I am confused. Are you guys insinuating that the crutches can be used as a weapon or that there could be a gun hidden in the crutches. Explain please. I am trying to be patient and understand where you people are coming from. If security is so bad should they not have a way to scan customers as they walk through to make sure that their crutches are not hiding weapons. Every single public business place should be handicap accessible or you simply should not be allowed to serve the public. What if a pregnant woman was comign through. Would you harass her because she might be carrying a loaded gun in her abdomen This is makes no sense to me
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by coolier(f): 2:08am On Jun 27, 2010
HolyMikel:

@ Coolier,
sorry about what happened to you at the bank's premises but on a second thought we all know the security situation of the country especially the frequent attacks of armed robbers on banks.
who knows whether you are  forerunner? we dont even know whether your story is credible as your profile says you are in UK but you are complaining about a branch in Nigeria.
the security men should rather be praised for doing their job well. you need to see the pictures of the recent attack on banks in Akure.

Do you read other people's contributions before you post, because if you do, you must have seen my comments below and the source of the protest, Saharareporters.com

coolier:

I wouldn't know that. 'Am just a concerned citizen myself.

Because the customer is the account holder and he has business to transact in the bank.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by maxxy: 7:02am On Jun 27, 2010
Outstrip:

I guess I am confused. Are you guys insinuating that the crutches can be used as a weapon or that there could be a gun hidden in the crutches. Explain please. I am trying to be patient and understand where you people are coming from. If security is so bad should they not have a way to scan customers as they walk through to make sure that their crutches are not hiding weapons. Every single public business place should be handicap accessible or you simply should not be allowed to serve the public. What if a pregnant woman was comign through. Would you harass her because she might be carrying a loaded gun in her abdomen This is makes no sense to me

Banks in Nigeria use electronic doors that prevent the entry of anything metallic, so a pregnant woman wouldn't be affected (except she is actually hiding something cheesy). And yes, crutches, wheelchairs and other like paraphernalia could contain weapons. The security situation is so bad in some areas, particularly South East Nigeria, that banks there have been going on strike regularly to protest the situation. About 8 people were killed in Akure 2weeks ago in a serial robbery, so right now, there is more vigilant security at Banks and like places.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Ranoscky(m): 10:25am On Jun 27, 2010
Quote from holymikel: "the security men should rather be praised for doing their job well".

^^^Holymikel abi na evil gabriel be your name, so u support the harrasment that doz bars-tards (security men) did to that disabled woman and u call that a job well-done? Even if 8-peeps were killed by armed rubbers in a bank attack at Akure, was that the reason why (bank PHB security men) should harras a disabled woman? abi doz thieves peeps came with crutches on the attack? is she the 1st disabled to walk into a bank? undecided if no, then how do they treat the other disabled customers? if they don't know how to treat disabled, why not ask for an information from other banks? abi disabled no get right to go bank again? shocked undecided. . .Which dirty xcuss dem wan give now? sad or b'cos armed rubbers dey go steal for banks, e com be say any disabled wey dey go bank carry weapon? even if crutches na metal, why not talk to the woman in a polite manner for her to understand, instead harrassing her? sad. . .WTH some peeps just dey behave like animals? undecided
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by adedayoone: 2:39pm On Jun 27, 2010
Its very true nigeria doesnt make provision for disabled people , dats not a new thing . I mean we used to carry my friend on the wheel chair to have lectures on the third floor in uni .Till date i havent seen any building that has disabled access and the closest to that being enacted was minorly talked about in the Lagos house . I feel for the customer but then we cant over overlook the safety of the bank officials , the reason the person wasnt allowed in wasnt because he/she was disabled but rather because the crutches had metal in it and could not go through the metal detector door.

yes they could make exceptions and just turn off the metal detector and allow the person in, but again that would mean that anyone with crutches could enter d bank with guns ,

its a two way thing really depending on what side u r looking from .
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by tododo(m): 3:47pm On Jun 27, 2010
This woman is only trying to create a mountain out of a mole hill,cos the topic alone does not potray the message of what realy transpired.

Someone with a high metal content ware could as well fall victim of this same situation.The topic should not have anything to do with the DISABLED.

If in actual sense,the bank does not want the customer,i see no reason why the official will be pleading with her to write the cheque so that they can assist with the cash.

BankPHB or any other bank need to continually beef up their security and at the same time assist with whoever the SECURITY DOOR disallowed from entering the banking hall. A case of what happened at Akure is enough for bank officials to always think twice before they overide the security door and permit entrance of anyone having HIGH METAL CONTENT on him or her.

Disability is not the issue here but
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by princeparis(m): 4:00pm On Jun 27, 2010
I witnessed something similar at a GTB on Thursday or Friday when a blind man was refused entry by the security men. Even when a lady staffer intervened, the man was asked all kinds of questions though finally he was allowed into the banking hall after about thirty minutes of arguments. i dont why this is so but we can do better for our physically challenged.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by tododo(m): 4:03pm On Jun 27, 2010
Disability is not the issue here but "WHY SHOULD BANKPHB DOOR BAR YOU FROM CARRYING OUT YOUR RIGHTFUL DUTY".

Same situation could happen to both ABLE and DISABLED.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Ranoscky(m): 6:06pm On Jun 27, 2010
Quote from adedayoone: "the reason the person wasnt allowed in wasnt because he/she was disabled but rather because the crutches had metal in it and could not go through the metal detector door."

^^^If that should be the case, then why not xplain it to her in a polite manner why she can't go in with the crutches for whatever reason, and assist her in while the crutches will be under their (security men) custody, and when she's through with the whatever reason she came their for, they (security men) should give back the crutches to her and she'll go, ASAT!!!
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Outstrip(f): 8:24pm On Jun 27, 2010
prince paris:

I witnessed something similar at a GTB on Thursday or Friday when a blind man was refused entry by the security men. Even when a lady staffer intervened, the man was asked all kinds of questions though finally he was allowed into the banking hall after about thirty minutes of arguments. i dont why this is so but we can do better for our physically challenged.

Can you imagine? People are so ignorant. What could he possibly have done to cause problems
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by dipotech: 10:24am On Jun 28, 2010
Sorry. Accept all the smpathy. The reason mighty be for security reasons according to maxxy. If anybody in the house has witnessed any  bank robbery before such a person would want to agree to the bank if only for security purposes.

Once again, sorry, sorry, sorry!!!.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by ceeque(f): 10:57am On Jun 28, 2010
don't be dismayed my dear, just place before God, he will heal you in less than
no time, cheers.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by DisGuy: 11:44am On Jun 28, 2010
If someone tells me bank staffs in nigeria BEAT their customers with koboko i swear I will belive them!!!!

so 1 person with a crutch can now be considered a security threat, but his/her check book is perectly okay out of his sight knowing how nigerian bankers operate

when last did 1 man robbery take place in nigeria?

Why wasnt the customer offered special service - internet, atm, personal officer etc etc

the bank should be burnt to ashes and the insurance should be rejected!!!
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Ranoscky(m): 2:17pm On Jun 28, 2010
^^^No be lie.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Dolaapo(f): 3:52pm On Jun 28, 2010
Most people are very sensitive when they perceive (real or not) that they are being subjected to discrimination. The bank (providing services to the the public), should have made contingency plans (e.g wooden crutches should be provided for customers and such customers should be asked "politely" to swap for passage into the banking hall) for the disabled if they don't want to override the security system to allow passage of any metallic object.
     The story (if true) screams of very poor customer service and "I don't care" attitude.
     The bank should be sued heavily for failing to make adequate provisions for all their customers to enjoy a hassle free transaction. Maybe next time, they will know how to better treat their "disabled" (or other categories) customers.  angry
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by jarkbauer: 5:31pm On Jun 28, 2010
they are definitely in trouble.pursue it if possible to the supreme court.it is high time we started teaching some fools some lesson.plsssssssss sue their ass out.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by philip0906(m): 1:30pm On Jul 26, 2010
lets not be overwhelmed by emotion here. . .we've heard only one side of d story.I have been 2 many banks and organisations and seen disabled people go in there.So its not like its a norm here.I have also come across many disabled people,who want "OVER SYMPATHY"(no disrespect meant) and who think its their "right" to have some things.So,when we hear stories like this,we should not just conclude.
I wonder which bank will deny its customer his/her money.Hasn't d poster been 2 a bank b4?how did he/she open d account?Is dat his first time of being 2 dat branch?Prolly,the problem comes 4rm d security agent(just saying though) and he labels it d bank(its true though dat d security man is a rep of d bank). . .
But if d poster really means what he says,then its just crazy and definitely has every reason 2 feel offended and has a case,else it might just be as a result of what I said. . .
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by hectorswag(m): 4:49pm On Sep 04, 2010
embarassed
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by fxjunkie(m): 2:35pm On Sep 26, 2010

Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 09, 2011
At least bankphb is no more now.
Re: Bank Discriminates Against Disabled Customer by fm7070: 6:26pm On Aug 14, 2011
BankPHB has already been paralysed and they will get same discrimination.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Start A Profiting Business Online [READ MORE] / Proprietary Trading / Institutional Trading / Hedge Fund / Nylon Making Machine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.