Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,867 members, 7,798,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:54 AM

Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? (23359 Views)

The 664 Years Old First Storey Building In Nigeria / APC Supporters, Was This Really Necessary? (video) / Is Dangote Really The Richest Nigerian??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Nobody: 3:40am On Jun 25, 2010
When foreign tourists visit Nigeria, they are often taken to Badagry where, among slave-trade artefacts and other attractions, beaming tour guides proudly showcase to them the so-called

''FIRST STOREY BUILDING IN NIGERIA''

[img]http://2.bp..com/_bDcpR_wJ7hk/Sk6K9FCJ7jI/AAAAAAAABMY/NNtGKxWgpZo/s400/bad1.jpg[/img]

According to Nigerianwiki:

''The ancient history laden structure was erected by the Reverend Henry Townsend of the church missionary society CMS in 1845.The edifice which later served as Vicarage for saint Thomas Anglican church, Badagry was also used by Samuel Ajayi Crowther, the first African C.M.S Bishop when he undertook the translation of the Holy Bible from English to Yoruba, ''

''Originally built of coconut fibers and located on an area of 1,144 square feet, the more than a century and half old monument was recently given a face lift to further preserve it for generations yet unborn.The building is located along the Marina in Badagry.''

Controversy

''It being the actual first two floor building is however disputed, as it is argued that the Hausas in Northern Nigeria had built storey buildings before this building was erected, ''

http://nigerianwiki.com/wiki/First_Storey_Building

When will our colonised compatriots realise the insult handed to them by the British in this baseless claim??

JUST FOR THE RECORD:

The first storey building in Nigeria would have looked like THIS:

Zaria

Or like THIS:

Kano

Or like THIS:

Zaria

Or Like THIS:

[img]http://davidderrick.files./2010/03/kano-house.jpg[/img]
Kano

Buildings like these have adorned the Nigerian sahelian landscape for at least 1,200 years, which comes up to roughly 900 years before there was a nation known as Britain.

Now, instead of ''renovating'' the British ''first storey building'', and making highly provocative claims about some white man being the ''first teacher in Nigeria'', why don't they simply SCRAP the whole silly idea of identifying the ''first whatever'' in a land as ancient as Nigeria, and quit these egregious insults to our collective??

2 Likes

Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by tpiah: 3:48am On Jun 25, 2010
post solid evidence of storey buildings with STAIRCASES in nigeria before 1845, instead of engaging in conjecture.

1 Like

Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by EzeUche(m): 3:59am On Jun 25, 2010
I agree with you ROSSIKE.

Africa was thriving while the British were still painting their faces blue.
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Nobody: 4:21am On Jun 25, 2010
tpia said:

post solid evidence of storey buildings with STAIRCASES in nigeria before 1845, instead of engaging in conjecture

Storey buildings with staircases?

How the hell do you think they got upstairs in the buildings posted?

By rope?

Your imbecility is stunning.

2 Likes

Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by naijamini(m): 4:30am On Jun 25, 2010
I agree too.

The question is of what value is that if we can't re-write our own history and discard the absolute bunkum they wrote in their combination of ignorance & wickedness ages ago.

Where do we stand when our current fortunes as a continent mirror what they said we would be - ravaging hunger while residing on perhaps the most resourceful continent on the planet, for example! Tribalistic mumbo-jumbo that amount to baby-like babbling of baboons in the bush!

We can protest all we want, but until we take charge of both our history and our present we continue to reinforce the passed-down delusions of ages ago.

EzeUche:

I agree with you ROSSIKE.

Africa was thriving while the British were still painting their faces blue.

Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Nobody: 5:03am On Jun 25, 2010
Naijamini, I'm a bit more optimistic regarding our present and future,  Across Africa, believe it or not, and by all  indices and statistics, poverty is actually falling year on year, as are illiteracy, disease, conflicts etc.

Military rule is now anathema. The continent's economy has grown at something like 7.5% annually for the last ten years, the fastest growth rate since independence. The middle class has expanded greatly, with their higher purchasing power leading to unprecedented demand for consumer goods across the continent.

15 years ago not less than 20 conflicts raged across the continent. Today that number is down to the ones and twos, which shows growing continental capacity in conflict resolution, an essential requirement for the stability that leads to development,

So there is a steady climb to progress, make no mistake. It's just not happening as noticeably fast as most would like it to.

I project that Africa in the next 20 years would be a much improved place.

1 Like

Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by ElRazur: 6:08am On Jun 25, 2010
ROSSIKE:

tpia said:

By rope?

Lwkmd.

grin grin
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Eddeux(m): 7:09am On Jun 25, 2010
Does Nigeria have many historical cities?
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by ElRazur: 7:11am On Jun 25, 2010
Eddeux:

Does Nigeria have many historical cities?

Yes. There are many, depends on what history you are after.

From the top of my head, Lokoja, Ikole, Eko [In lagos], Ilorin and many more.
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Nobody: 7:19am On Jun 25, 2010
ElRazur:

Isnt Eko=Lagos?
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Eddeux(m): 7:22am On Jun 25, 2010
ElRazur:

then one of them should have Nigeria's first story building, or better yet Nigeria could just be a nation w/ no 'firsts', just w/ multiple cities that are home to the first story building in their areas, considering it wasn't formed till the Brits came knockin' in.

And I thought Benin City was a historical city, I heard it from someone on this forum sometime ago.
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Nobody: 7:30am On Jun 25, 2010
Eddeux, I'm glad you mentioned Benin. I'm 100% certain that the ancient city of Benin contained many storey buildings  from at least the 1600s, before the British destroyed the city by mortar and razed it completely to the ground in 1897, carting off their treasure to Europe.

Benin as seen by visitors in 1668

Anyone notice how stocky, well-fed, and content the people look?

Just asking.  cool
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by angiefan2: 8:07am On Jun 25, 2010
I mean, even if that wasn't the first storey building in Nigeria, the British aren't in Nigeria now so why is there a sign on there saying it is? And if they are going to put a sign on it , can't they give it a lick of paint, fix the windows and at least make the place and surrounding area presentable to visitors Na wa o!
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by ElRazur: 8:14am On Jun 25, 2010
Eddeux:

then one of them should have Nigeria's first story building, or better yet Nigeria could just be a nation w/ no 'firsts', just w/ multiple cities that are home to the first story building in their areas, considering it wasn't formed till the Brits came knockin' in.

And I thought Benin City was a historical city, I heard it from someone on this forum sometime ago.

I have no idea.

Yes Benin is a historical city.

FL Gators:

Isnt Eko=Lagos?

I will punch your ovaries. lol

There is a place called Eko inside lagos. Kai, when was the last time you went home again? Pele o Omo daddy annnadoaaakaa abi na wetin be him name again.
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Nobody: 9:12am On Jun 25, 2010
Oh, I've always thought eko was the yoruba name for Lagos. Wow, you learn new things everyday on NL.

ahhh, na u go be omo anadaaoka lol
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Nobody: 11:18am On Jun 25, 2010
Eko = Lagos Island.
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Beaf: 11:45am On Jun 25, 2010
tpiah:

post solid evidence of storey buildings with STAIRCASES in nigeria before 1845, instead of engaging in conjecture.

Damn! shocked shocked shocked

angiefan2:

I mean, even if that wasn't the first storey building in Nigeria, the British aren't in Nigeria now so why is there a sign on there saying it is? And if they are going to put a sign on it , can't they give it a lick of paint, fix the windows and at least make the place and surrounding area presentable to visitors Na wa o!

This is one very sad thing about the fact of our identity crisis as a people. We love to be told who and what we are by total strangers (as long as they are white), we love this almost as much as we love to be called "Peter" or "Paul" and name our kids "Hezekiah" or something similarly ridiclous like "Longinus".
The only way we can make progress is by being ourselves.

@Rossike
Well done for a very enlightening post.
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by ElRazur: 11:51am On Jun 25, 2010
Beaf:

This is one very sad thing about the fact of our identity crisis as a people. We love to be told who and what we are by total strangers (as long as they are white), we love this almost as much as we love to be called "Peter" or "Paul" and name our kids "Hezekiah" or something similarly ridiclous like "Longinus".
The only way we can make progress is by being ourselves.

Bloodclatt lwkmd. The last time I checked, BEAF no be Nigerian name. Practice what you preach. grin grin grin

No worries, I am calling you Kuluso henceforth lol.

And before you strike back, ElRazur na proper Nigerian name. grin
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by idnole4(m): 1:29pm On Jun 25, 2010
so, what wont Nigerians have absorbed, if the white men told the discovery of river this, river that, to those communities living on the river bank, ever since my first history lesson, av been wondering how the white man would have discover a major river in my land. A river where my old old papas go to for fishing, we all know history is written in the interests of who ever the writer was.
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by tpiah: 2:13pm On Jun 25, 2010
oh brother. here we go again. Any wonder nigeria is now listed as one of the most illiterate countries on earth? I no talk say na nairaland dem study before reaching this conclusion?

ROSSIKE:

tpia said:

By rope?

do you know the difference between a minaret and a storey building?

do you even know know the meaning of architecture at all?

we all know you consider yourself the smartest a$$ on earth and i see your fellow asses are already backing you up here!

so far, you have produced NO evidence of a storey building in nigeria before 1845 but would rather we took your half-assed word for it that there must have been storey buildings because you NOW see traditional architecture in the north with more than one floor.

smh!!!!!
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by jikings(m): 2:32pm On Jun 25, 2010
@ Id-nole Thanks for sharing the same ideas as I do. I can’t believe our leaders have allowed these lies by the British and Portuguese traders to remain in our history books. Mongo Park claim to have discovered river Niger when people have been living close to the river for hundreds of years before then?
Same for Education, reading and writing. History has it that the Igbo slaves taken to the US communicated in writing called “Nsibidi” and some of the graves in Virginia has these writings on them today and the white man still claim they brought education and civilization to us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nsibidi_symbols

More recently I’m currently in Trinidad and was in a discussion with some of my colleagues and one of them from Lithuania (a tiny country in Eastern Europe) claimed his ancestors discovered Tobago. I asked him the mean by discovery? He couldn’t answer. The Caribs were living in these islands before the Spaniards, French and British arrived with guns and murdered as many as they could before claiming the land and hence a “discovery” in the history books before heading back to Africa to buy/ capture slaves to work in their sugar plantations! Same for Columbus for discovering America!

Please educate these people whenever you meet the daft ones as we have moved on and know the truth right now!!! Our forefathers believed every lie from the white man and that’s why Africa remained in darkness till today.
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Hauwa1: 2:44pm On Jun 25, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Naijamini, I'm a bit more optimistic regarding our present and future, Across Africa, believe it or not, and by all indices and statistics, poverty is actually falling year on year, as are illiteracy, disease, conflicts etc.

umm, thanks to the white man's country (dollars/pound being sent is really helping don't you think?)
thanks to the white man's method of education, medicine and conflict resolution. africa is indeed doing well undecided

Military rule is now anathema. The continent's economy has grown at something like 7.5% annually for the last ten years, the fastest growth rate since independence. The middle class has expanded greatly, with their higher purchasing power leading to unprecedented demand for consumer goods across the continent.

15 years ago not less than 20 conflicts raged across the continent. Today that number is down to the ones and twos, which shows growing continental capacity in conflict resolution, an essential requirement for the stability that leads to development,

So there is a steady climb to progress, make no mistake. It's just not happening as noticeably fast as most would like it to.

Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jun 25, 2010
tpiah said:

we all know you consider yourself the smartest a$$ on earth and i see your fellow asses are already backing you up here!

so far, you have produced NO evidence of a storey building in nigeria before 1845 but would rather we took your half-assed word for it that there must have been storey buildings because you NOW see traditional architecture in the north with more than one floor.

Well, where is YOUR evidence that the white man built the first storey building in Nigeria?

That there's a sign saying so at the entrance of the house is nowhere near enough evidence.

We can draw OUR evidence from the fact that the city of Kano is at least 1,000 years old, with an architectural history spanning millenia.

Oh, and if you actually knew what a minaret was, you wouldn't mention the word here.

1 Like

Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by tpiah: 5:40pm On Jun 25, 2010
this is becoming pedantic.

key word here is Arab architecture?

if you dont get it, too bad.
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Beaf: 5:53pm On Jun 25, 2010
ElRazur:

Bloodclatt lwkmd. The last time I checked, BEAF no be Nigerian name. Practice what you preach. grin grin grin

No worries, I am calling you Kuluso henceforth lol.

And before you strike back, ElRazur na proper Nigerian name. grin

Beaf sef, no get meaning na! grin
As for my real name, its a triple barreled, 100% sweet sounding indigenous love affair. Same as my kids with all pride!
. . .But I am suspecting that your name might just be Coriolanus or Obadiah!!! grin

. . .If in doubt, change your name! grin
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jun 25, 2010
this is becoming pedantic.

key word here is Arab architecture?

if you dont get it, too bad.

If you knew anything about history, you'd know that Architecture itself was pioneered on the African continent. The pyramids and temples of Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Great Zimbabwe, were already ancient before there was a group of people known as ''Arabs''.

Ruins of Kush (Sudan)

[img]http://www.saqqara.nl/img/Cont_Glossary/_500/Kush.jpg[/img]
[img]http://files.reseguiden.se/files/79/rg_717079_m600.jpg[/img]

These African ruins are dated to 400 BC, nearly a thousand years before the birth of Arab civilization.

Latter-day Arabs would have copied the blueprint of ancient African architectural convention such as seen above, to develop what appears to you today to be ''Arab'' architecture.

But in reality, it's all African-derived architecture if you go back far enough.
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Tuyis: 6:40pm On Jun 25, 2010
The ''FIRST STOREY BUILDING IN NIGERIA'' looks so dilapidated. Isn't anybody looking after it? It may soon become the "ruins of the first story building in Nigeria"
Looks like everything is disposable in Nigeria.
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jun 25, 2010
Tuyis said:

The ''FIRST STOREY BUILDING IN NIGERIA'' looks so dilapidated. Isn't anybody looking after it? It may soon become the "ruins of the first story building in Nigeria"
Looks like everything is disposable in Nigeria.

There's absolutely nothing worth retaining about that building.

It seems you still don't ''get it''.
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by naijamini(m): 2:33am On Jun 26, 2010
@ROSSIKE

I appreciate your optimism, and I am an optimist too, but lets just say that my optimism is like an hour glass that is fast losing sand to the other side, especially after the Yar'adua fiasco. I use to believe that incrementalism might do the trick for Africa, but it seems that nothing less than major surgery to our way of doing things and psyche can jolt us out of our letargy.

It seems clear to me that Africa's so called good times can be described as peace of the grave. I am not willing to accept that Africa is moving ahead rapidly until I see major structural changes on the mother continent - it is just a lull until all hell breaks lose again. Yesterday, it was Ivory Coast that appeared so stable until the dictator died. Before that Liberia was a haven for visitors from inside and outside Africa - see where they are now. One day would be one day, the dictator of Cameroun will pass on, as well will that of Uganda - the peace of those graves will turn to the cry of mourners. The young Kabila has been in charge of Congo since 2001, how long is he going to stay? Is this the beginning of another 30 or 40 year dictatorship? Zimbabwe's Mugabe, in his wisdom, turned a once bread basket into a wasteland with currency denominated in the billions! What do you think will be the ultimate solution to this? Let our shame-ators and repsenta-thieves continue their wayward ways and see whether some soldier will not step in - if only as an excuse to loot. It happened very recently in Niger .

Don't misunderstand me. Botswana, South Africa and Ghana seem to be at least inching up, but the potential of Africa is so much more. Without serious CHANGE don't be surprised if it all comes crashing a few years hence.

I am nagged by a certain structural deformation in our way of doing things. For example, Botswana has maintained a democratic government since independence, has one of the highest growth rates in per capita income and is the least corrupt (according to TI) in Africa, but in 2006 HIV/AIDS prevalence was 24% and it was estimated that life expectancy at birth had dropped from 65 to 35 years (from Wikipedia). This just doesn't compute for me at all!

ROSSIKE:

Naijamini, I'm a bit more optimistic regarding our present and future,  Across Africa, believe it or not, and by all  indices and statistics, poverty is actually falling year on year, as are illiteracy, disease, conflicts etc.

Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by Nobody: 10:00am On Jun 26, 2010
tpiah:

oh brother. here we go again. Any wonder nigeria is now listed as one of the most illiterate countries on earth? I no talk say na nairaland dem study before reaching this conclusion?

smh!!!!!

@Tpiah

You "f-u-c-k-i-n-g-" astound yourself, What A show of shame! (a round of booing for him) and your lack of introspection shows.

Like Rossike mentioned; you obviously does not know the difference between a minaret and a storey building,
talk much of the meaning of architecture.
Arab architecture indeed (LOL). Seriously, Tpiah are you are court jester or sth?

In your demented head, this is not an upstairs (with windows, roof-top drain sprout etc.). Mumu say na Minaret (LOL)

Kano
[img]http://davidderrick.files./2010/03/kano-house.jpg[/img]
Kano

Tpiah, for your education, this is a minaret(below). repeat after me

Again, this is a minaret.

I don't want to say this but, I guess there's no need to wonder why Nigeria is now listed as one of the most illiterate countries on earth?
I dare talk say na Tpiah@Nairaland dem study before reaching this conclusion?
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by tpiah: 4:31pm On Jun 26, 2010
^^DUMBO, THE BUILDINGS YOU SHOWED WERE BUILT BEFORE 1854 BAH?

cheii!!!for nigerians!!!!

some of you are too daft for words!!!

legendary daftness which has to be seen on nairaland to be believed!!!

abeg- you're waaayyyy out of your element so scram instead of embarassing yourself further!

your primary school teacher did a bad job with you!
Re: Is This Really The ''first Storey Building In Nigeria''? by sjeezy8: 4:40pm On Jun 26, 2010
eko(Lagos island) is historical but I like benin city more.

That being said I think the first building in Nigeria would probably be in the North due to the arab influenced culture.

The Arabs/Muslims were light years ahead of everyone in many ways- No lie

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Hosts George Weah / Border Closure: Customs Rakes In N6 Billion Daily / Senate Screens Lauretta Onochie, Five Others As INEC Commissioners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.