Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,855 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

Sitting For Long Hours Reduces Blood Flow To The Brain - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sitting For Long Hours Reduces Blood Flow To The Brain (266 Views)

JMS3 Medically Certified Mattress That Reduces Blood Pressure & Othér Ailments. / Help!! Weed Has Damaged The Brain Of My Brother. / 5 Major Foods That Reduces Blood Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sitting For Long Hours Reduces Blood Flow To The Brain by Haleplushearty: 3:35pm On Aug 20, 2018
A team of researchers with Liverpool John Moores University in the U.K. has found evidence of reduced blood flow to the brain in people who sit for long periods of time. Sitting for very long periods of time without getting up now and then is unhealthy. It may contributes to weight gain, increases the risk of diabetes, causes back pain and leg problems Evidence has been reported that it can reduce blood flow to the brain.

Suspecting that sitting for a long time could cause circulation problems to the brain, the researchers enlisted the assistance of 15 adult volunteers-each of them had a day job that required long hours of sitting. They participated in three exercises over a period of time, each came to the lab on three separate occasions and sat for four hours. On each visit, they were fitted with a headband that measured blood flow to the brain using ultrasound. Each subject also wore a face mask that captured and measured carbon dioxide levels.

During the first exercise, the volunteers were asked to sit at a desk for four straight hours, leaving their chairs only to use the restroom. For the second exercise, each rose from their chair every 30 minutes and walked on a treadmill for two minutes. In the third exercise, each subject remained in their chair for two hours and then walked on the treadmill for eight minutes, then returned to the chair.

The researchers found evidence of reduced blood flow in all of the volunteers during the exercises. However, they also found that normal blood flow was restored by walking breaks. Decreased cerebrovascular blood flow and function are associated with lower cognitive functioning and increased risk of neurodegenerative diseases. Prolonged sitting impairs peripheral blood flow and function.
[url]haleplushearty.org[/url]

Re: Sitting For Long Hours Reduces Blood Flow To The Brain by Nobody: 1:42am On Aug 21, 2018
This is why I hate sitting for long hours not doing anything, I prefer moving around and keeping myself busy, I hate lazyness.

(1) (Reply)

Nine Foods To Help Lower Blood Sugar At Home / Insomnia And Its Symptoms! / Ovulation Tracking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.