Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,229 members, 7,807,761 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University (40740 Views)

Help Me Choose One Among These Courses (photo) / Whatever The Case, Never Ever Study These Courses / Which Of These Courses Should She Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Maket: 11:33am On Aug 22, 2018
asuustrike1:
No course is useless. They may not be useful now but will be needed in time to come
may be after the death of he person studying it. Nigeria!!!
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Nobody: 11:37am On Aug 22, 2018
Maket:
may be after the death of he person studying it. Nigeria!!!
That's not true. A professional will always be a professional.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Bianda24: 11:40am On Aug 22, 2018
Amakababe:
I just saw my neighbor's jamb form and the foolish boy filled in for human kinetics. I felt like knocking him there

hell if it's my child,
listen to me where ever you are.

you must study either and only either
1. Medicine, other related fields like Med lab, pharmacy, dentistry. don't even try anatomy biochemistry and the likes, nonesense.

2. law, that's if he is art students. the day he decides to be a art student, he signed in for law and nothing else.

3. computer science

4. engineering,

courses you must not study
1. anatomy physiology phe religious studies 2. physical sciences like mathematics physics chemistry. why not just apply engineering than do this rubbish.
3. education , I will just kill
im walahi
4. agric soil science especially fisheries
animal science
5. music
, dance
6. languages.
7. English
8. psychology
9.political sciences
10 adult education guidance and counselling

try it and pay your fees yourself sigh

What about Philosophy? The study of wisdom.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Bianda24: 11:42am On Aug 22, 2018
I studied Medicine and I am not practicing grin
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by badjack(m): 11:43am On Aug 22, 2018
Some people no get sense. Did Dangote study any of these your preferred courses. Nonsense.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by adegeye38(m): 11:43am On Aug 22, 2018
Amakababe:
I just saw my neighbor's jamb form and the foolish boy filled in for human kinetics. I felt like knocking him there

hell if it's my child,

1. Medicine, other related fields like Med lab, pharmacy, dentistry. don't even try anatomy biochemistry and the likes, nonesense.

2. law, that's if he is art students. the day he decides to be a art student, he signed in for law and nothing else.

3. computer science

4. engineering,

1. anatomy physiology phe religious studies 2. physical sciences like mathematics physics chemistry. why not just apply engineering than do this rubbish.
im walahi
animal science
5. music
, dance
6. languages.
7. English
8. psychology
9.political sciences

Your law child will now be employed by my ariste son wo earns 500 million in a night, or my producer son who earn billions yeaely or my athlete son dat makes more money a month dat your lawyer or daughter son will not make in his lifetime, not to talk of ict, were u dont have to go to school at all, just know coding and u will be earning billions

Your post reeks of ignorance ,we cant all be doctors or lawyers and the most profitable industry are not in dose sectors at all,

IN OUR WORLD NOW, SKILL AND CREATIVITY SELL, LET YOUR CHILD PURSUE WHAT HE OR SHE HAS TALENT IN

3 Likes

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Nobody: 11:45am On Aug 22, 2018
what are your thoughts on Economics
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by christejames(m): 11:46am On Aug 22, 2018
bobaydavid:

I have to tell you that, I throw my cap at your take 100 percent. On what bases will you impose a Course of Choice for An Individual as yourself. That is Oppression, intimidation that borders on the psychological belief that you Fathered him, he must adhere to the dictates of your tune. You might be mistaken, you only Guide and Shield. That's your fucking responsibility.

Thanks Bro, you are right. We only need to guide them and not impose things on them.

1 Like

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Luizkid(m): 12:07pm On Aug 22, 2018
wapo:
What Really Matter Most Is The Passion Of Your Child(ren).Ask Me And I Will Tell You Story,my Passion In Life Was To Study Anything That Deals With Computer And Electronics,i Applied To Study Computer Science In 2014 At The Polytechnics Ibadan And Futminna To Study Computer Engring,luckly That Year,i Was Admitted To Ibadan Poly To Study Computer Sci,and Futminna To Study Agric Engring,but My Parent Persuaded Me That I Must Go To Futminna Because University Education Is The Best,wen I Got To Futminna I Could Not Coup With The Agric Engring,my Cgpa Was So Low That I Have To Drop Out,av Been Trying To Gain Admission Again Even To A Poly But Av Not Been Admitted Since Then,i knw Myself Very Well Tat I Am Not A Dullard,but U Knw Everybody Have Wat They Can Coup Wif,i Loose Many Things My Brother,if To Say Studied That Comp Science,i Knw Where I Will Been Today,even The Fiance That I Suppose To Get Married To I Loose Her,so My Brother Wat Really Matter Is The Passion Of Ur Children.
But bros, if u can do Computer science then u shouldn't have difficulties with Agric Engineering na??
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by millionboi(m): 12:10pm On Aug 22, 2018
Amakababe:

hell if it's my child,

3. computer science

4. engineering,

im walahi
animal science
5. music
, dance
6. languages.
7. English
8. psychology
9.political sciences

how will u call d boy foolish.

To me u are educated illiterate.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Nobody: 12:10pm On Aug 22, 2018
Amakababe:

hell if it's my child,

3. computer science

4. engineering,

im walahi
animal science
5. music
, dance
6. languages.
7. English
8. psychology
9.political sciences

Sister, a final year medicine and surgery student approached me to teach him Fiverr. Fiverr oooooooo. If you want your child to study medicine and surgery, be sure to have N25-30m handy so he can start up his clinic after school.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by millionboi(m): 12:12pm On Aug 22, 2018
divinelove:
All the lawyers I know are all struggling and flat broke. Law is also not lucrative esp for ppl without connection.

We should shift from this mentality that have created many jobless graduates today n teach our children skills to enable them become job creators. Entrepreneurship and business development/management is the way to go for future millionaires. Agric Agric Agric, we have fertile lands all around n animal rearing, tailoring, fashion designing, sports, music

Go to school study fine courses get good grades so you can work for big companies and earn fat salaries is not working anymore and we should stop teaching our children this lie which we were told.

It is now go to school develop n gain practical skills so you can start your own business and create jobs.
Godbless u......I'm yet to see a rich lawyer that is not a politician/scammer

2 Likes

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by millionboi(m): 12:22pm On Aug 22, 2018
MimiShopping:
You have a great point. Honestly in 2018 and beyond, any child going into the university must be properly guided to avoid making professional mistake.

The most salable and viable courses to study in order to stand a chance of surviving in the next 10 - 20 years to come are:

1.) Medicine
2.) Nursing (Bsc o)
3.) Software Engineering
4.) Mechatronics (a combination of Mechanical & Electronics Engineering)
5.) Computer Science (the child must pay total attention to coding, programming and any trending programming courses/training)
6.) Digital Marketing (not Marketing o shocked)
7.) Civil Engineering (he must learn the various trending design software and how to use them efficiently)
8.) Radiography

Courses never to study as at current global trend:

1.) Marketing
2.) Business Administration
3.) Sociology
4.) Petroleum or Petrochemical engineering
5.) Linguistics
6.) Psychology
7.) Botany, Animal science, horticulture, fishery, forestry, zoology, etc
8.) History; who cares about history when Google and Wikipedia now have the global history
9.) Mass Communication
10.) Health Education, Health Science, etc
11.) Public Admin
12.) Political Science; big waste of time and money cry
13.) Microbiology, Biochemistry, etc

If you want to stand a chance of surviving the next 10 years to come, please never go and waste your time studying any of these courses, pls advice your little ones too.
Anything health is not a waste of time.....e.g microbiology.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by millionboi(m): 12:24pm On Aug 22, 2018
Grupo:

Great.
People like Mark Zuckerberg and Elon Musk have been ringing it like a bell that MBA certificates are useless. Except one wants to be an academic researcher, why do PhD?

Use that money and develop practical skills instead.
I need to do PhD for my political ambition..... What do u tink?
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by eodavids(m): 1:11pm On Aug 22, 2018
asuustrike1:
No course is useless. They may not be useful now but will be needed in time to come

Medicine, Law and Engineering are ever relevant and professional. Computer science has joined the league now.

The op may have had a real life experience to have authored this piece.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by bezimo(m): 1:19pm On Aug 22, 2018
As an Engineer..i wont like it if my child go to school and say na fisheries he wan study or Arts..I am like you didnt see better course like Buisness management or others...
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Scopeman1: 1:20pm On Aug 22, 2018
these one na mumu ooo, which course did, Buhari, Tinubu, Jonathan, obasanjo,yaradua, Dangote, study to get to position or have money, some study social sciences, and some did not even study any.... your thinking still dey 19th century

1 Like

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by faheez(m): 1:20pm On Aug 22, 2018
Amakababe:
so human kinetics aka jumpology is making sense abi
hee madam don't abuse my course o. sorry what did you study in school?
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by felaismyhero(m): 1:40pm On Aug 22, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Some fields are more important to wealth creation and sustanance than others. The wealth 100 agriculturists will create can be managed by 6 accountants with the help of technology, so it is saddening to see any university admit 500 accounting undergraduates at once but have less than 100 headed for agric or other key science courses.

Take uniben for example, law department is so populated compared to elect and comp science. It makes Nigeria look like a criminal colony.
bro,i agree with u completely,even in oau,the law department has up to 500 students/class.its scary!
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 22, 2018
eodavids:

Medicine, Law and Engineering are ever relevant and professional. Computer science has joined the league now.

The op may have had a real life experience to have authored this piece.
Am looking at the future whereas op is looking at the present. Nigeria would not remain static forever. Things will change with time hence the knowledge acquired would not be waste. Industries, technologies and other innovations may set in the future. Computer science is relevant now because the world is evolving. Courses such as psychology, guidance counselling psychology are demanded now because many persons are going insane. There are high cases of suicide in Nigeria compare to before when it was relegated to movies. The scholars of the bolded courses are trained to help persons overcome such menace in the society. Even in education, many schools hire professionals in education to tutor their students. These are just few examples. Everybody can't be doctors, engineer,lawyers e.t.c. If you carry out a research on why many persons opt in for the listed courses which op think are relevant, you would discover that high pay is responsible. There is no passion and selflessness on what they do. That is the more reasons you see many doctors travelling abroad in search of greener pastures.

1 Like

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by lacastre: 2:24pm On Aug 22, 2018
Amakababe:

hell if it's my child,

3. computer science

4. engineering,

im walahi
animal science
5. music
, dance
6. languages.
7. English
8. psychology
9.political sciences

it's like u attend AAUA
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Olumeme: 2:30pm On Aug 22, 2018
Engineering in Nigeria is crap, only Civil engineers are better off. The most annoying is petroleum engineering... Lol, except your papa get oyel company or dey NNPC, don't waste your time.

Best courses to me are
1. Medicine/pharmacy/Nursing

2. Accounting/business development/administration

3. Computer/software engineering

4. Law

5. Human Resources/supply chain/logistics/fleet management
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by arabbunkum: 2:43pm On Aug 22, 2018
What did your president study? It's destiny and not so much abt course of study.
Amakababe:

hell if it's my child,

3. computer science

4. engineering,

im walahi
animal science
5. music
, dance
6. languages.
7. English
8. psychology
9.political sciences

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by EmmanuelCena(m): 2:52pm On Aug 22, 2018
Amakababe:

hell if it's my child,

3. computer science

4. engineering,

im walahi
animal science
5. music
, dance
6. languages.
7. English
8. psychology
9.political sciences

With all due respect....

You're the foolish one ma.

Thank you
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by BraniacX(m): 3:15pm On Aug 22, 2018
Amakababe:

hell if it's my child,

3. computer science

4. engineering,

im walahi
animal science
5. music
, dance
6. languages.
7. English
8. psychology
9.political sciences

Check not on physics, mathematics and chemistry which are foundation sciences and boast of the best researchers and thinkers internationally, also, they are more valued and respected than those in the applied sciences which are medicine, engineering and what not internationally too
Also music is for those with creativity, some of the most iconic historical figures of today were those whose creativity spoke for them, lets not jump into conclusions my dear, i as a kid always wanted to study physics, nano or nuclear physics specifically, gained admission twice, was blocked on but occasions by mum who wanted me to be a doctor, she filled my jamb form and today I'm an oculist, interesting but not very challenging, job satisfaction minimal, i can't go back to read physics now because though the passion is still there, the drive has diminished, what drives me now are adult challenges of paying bills and taking care of dependents
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by eodavids(m): 3:22pm On Aug 22, 2018
asuustrike1:

Am looking at the future whereas op is looking at the present. Nigeria would not remain static forever. Things will change with time hence the knowledge acquired would not be waste. Industries, technologies and other innovations may set in the future. Computer science is relevant now because the world is evolving. Courses such as psychology, guidance counselling psychology are demanded now because many persons are going insane. There are high cases of suicide in Nigeria compare to before when it was relegated to movies. The scholars of the bolded courses are trained to help persons overcome such menace in the society. Even in education, many schools hire professionals in education to tutor their students. These are just few examples. Everybody can't be doctors, engineer,lawyers e.t.c. If you carry out a research on why many persons opt in for the listed courses which op think are relevant, you would discover that high pay is responsible. There is no passion and selflessness on what they do. That is the more reasons you see many doctors travelling abroad in search of greener pastures.

You made a big point. I am not countering you, nor the op.
But, I want you to see things from a possible perspective from which the op spoke:

Imagine a young child who is from a poor or less privileged family. If he/she hopes for the future you are talking about and studies as a first degree: sociology, physics or chemistry (for instance), how will he get a job that will adequately sustain him and perhaps those that trained him with too much hope as the "light of the family"?

See, if the child of a prominent man studies horticultural science, or phisics, or chemistry, or sociology; the influence in his family will catapult him into CBN, NNPC, PPMC, etc, etc.
But the ordinary person who studied same course usually get their first available job in secondary schools.

The poor child who studied petroleum engineering may not get the oil company job, but the privileged child who studied unrelated course gets it.

I know a brilliant graduate who studied maritime in Niger Delta but had to teach in secondary school in northern Nigeria.

I know a graduate of surveying and geo informatics who could not get his dream jobs with immigration or navy or air force or customs. You can ask, 'what then did those who get the job study'?.

One more, I have a friend that studied Industrial Designs, but ciramics and other manufacturing companies have not employed him.

So, if the above studied professional courses, they find it easier to be employed.

2 Likes

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Mitchsin(f): 3:26pm On Aug 22, 2018
Amakababe:

hell if it's my child,

3. computer science

4. engineering,

im walahi
animal science
5. music
, dance
6. languages.
7. English
8. psychology
9.political sciences

Nigerian mentality. Smh undecided
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by AremoOG(m): 3:26pm On Aug 22, 2018
Oluwasaeon:
You beta pray wella make your pikin no go dey redeem iTunes card last last
Thix Comment Gat Me Laughing.Guy U Get Bad Mouth O...
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by sapeleboi(m): 3:38pm On Aug 22, 2018
if not, what will you do

Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Austin7768: 3:40pm On Aug 22, 2018
I study agric econs and extension from delsu..my first employment was in a small agro company, when some of my mates that were employed with me at the same time as marketers saw my salary and my work routine. They wished they studied agric...And I have seen recently how many in d agric field enmass wealth through working for agro companies or establishment of theirs. So in essence, do not underestimate any course; what should matter is the passion, value and vision of that child.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 22, 2018
eodavids:

You made a big point. I am not countering you, nor the op.
But, I want you to see things from a possible perspective from which the op spoke:

Imagine a young child who is from a poor or less privileged family. If he/she hopes for the future you are talking about and studies as a first degree: sociology, physics or chemistry (for instance), how will he get a job that will adequately sustain him and perhaps those that trained him with too much hope as the "light of the family"?

See, if the child of a prominent man studies horticultural science, or phisics, or chemistry, or sociology; the influence in his family will catapult him into CBN, NNPC, PPMC, etc, etc.
But the ordinary person who studied same course usually get their first available job in secondary schools.

The poor child who studied petroleum engineering may not get the oil company job, but the privileged child who studied unrelated course gets it.

I know a brilliant graduate who studied maritime in Niger Delta but had to teach in secondary school in northern Nigeria.

I know a graduate of surveying and geo informatics who could not get his dream jobs with immigration or navy or air force or customs. You can ask, 'what then did those who get the job study'?.

One more, I have a friend that studied Industrial Designs, but ciramics and other manufacturing companies have not employed him.

So, if the above studied professional courses, they find it easier to be employed.
Yea I got you. But things will not continue like this forever. The reason why op may think that way is because we have few industries. There is excess supply of labour in the market but the demand for them are few. If by the time we have high number of persons studying the courses op suggested,we will fall back to were we are. We will see many medical doctors, lawyers, engineers roaming around the street in search of job.
Re: My Kids Must Study Only These Courses In The University by Wizzy104(m): 5:07pm On Aug 22, 2018
MimiShopping:
You have a great point. Honestly in 2018 and beyond, any child going into the university must be properly guided to avoid making professional mistake.

The most salable and viable courses to study in order to stand a chance of surviving in the next 10 - 20 years to come are:

1.) Medicine
2.) Nursing (Bsc o)
3.) Software Engineering
4.) Mechatronics (a combination of Mechanical & Electronics Engineering)
5.) Computer Science (the child must pay total attention to coding, programming and any trending programming courses/training)
6.) Digital Marketing (not Marketing o shocked)
7.) Civil Engineering (he must learn the various trending design software and how to use them efficiently)
8.) Radiography

Courses never to study as at current global trend:

1.) Marketing
2.) Business Administration
3.) Sociology
4.) Petroleum or Petrochemical engineering
5.) Linguistics
6.) Psychology
7.) Botany, Animal science, horticulture, fishery, forestry, zoology, etc
8.) History; who cares about history when Google and Wikipedia now have the global history
9.) Mass Communication
10.) Health Education, Health Science, etc
11.) Public Admin
12.) Political Science; big waste of time and money cry
13.) Microbiology, Biochemistry, etc

If you want to stand a chance of surviving the next 10 years to come, please never go and waste your time studying any of these courses, pls advice your little ones too.
SMH! !You must be very stupid and ignorant to refer Political Science 'as a big waste of time'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

University Of Calabar Strongest Man, Mr Supreme Set To Defend His Crown (Photo) / NUC: Universities To Re-open On 18 January 2021 / When You Realize You Submitted Your Question Paper Instead Of Answer Sheet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.