Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,870 members, 7,802,802 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 (5005 Views)

If Kids Can Defend Their Families in Mexico, Why Can’t Nigerians? - Adebayo / Insecurity Has Started Again Why Can’t State Govs Take FG To Court? - Rufai / Why Can’t We Put 1000 Police Men & 1000 Military Men In Every LG In Nigeria??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Saao(m): 7:13am On Aug 24, 2018
kayfra:
iPob folks lack knowledge of economics or simple common sense. Redomination of the currency does nothing to the fundamentals
haha what's your problem with ipob? If you hate them this much, why not let them go?
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Okoroawusa: 7:23am On Aug 24, 2018
KnowAll:
It does, Ghana did and seems all of a sudden Ghana has a stronger currency while we wallow in our worthless currency.
When you guys make these your Ghana currency statements I just laugh.

In 2007,it was 10000 Cedis to 1 dollar.Then Ghana did a redenomination removing four zeros to make it 1 cedis to 1 dollar.A decade later,its now 4 Cedis to 1 dollar.Do the math n add back the zeros.

The fact is that the Ghanaian economy is an appendage of the Nigerian economy. If Nigeria sneezes,Ghana catches cold.

How many Ghanaians have businesses in Nigeria,? how many Ghanaian banks have branches in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by madridguy(m): 7:36am On Aug 24, 2018
https://www.thenewamerican.com/economy/markets/item/4630-gadhafi-s-gold-money-plan-would-have-devastated-dollar

wickyyolo:

Gaddafi wanted a gold dinar currency to be Africa common currency, but African leaders foolishly refused.
The fiat money America use is not backed by any standard and stupid leaders don't want to think.

Terrorism, kidnapping is as a result of economic instability and America is a major cause in this .
One day they will pay the price.
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 24, 2018
omohayek:

What economically illiterate drivel! Isn't the very currency you want to see renominated also coming from "theory from the Western countries' point of view"? Were your illiterate forefathers in the 19th century using fractional reserve banking? If removing zeros from a currency affected a nation's wealth, wouldn't South Korea and Japan, with their "weak" currencies, be far poorer than the same Ghana one of you economic illiterates is praising? It's laughable to see people still repeating the same sort of nonsense that came out of the mouth of an uneducated ape like Idi Amin back in the 1970s.

Those who have noted that lopping off zeros would change nothing are 100% in the right, and anyone arguing otherwise is speaking from rank ignorance and a room-temperature IQ. Unless the Nigerian government was able to find new sources of funding for all of its obligations, all that would happen is that the same number of zeros would come off both salaries and the prices of goods and services, making no one better off in any meaningful way. A man who earns N50,000 and has N48,000 in monthly expenses is no better or worse off than a man who earns N500 a month yet has expenses of N480.

you are right but also , when you remove -let's assume 2 zeros from the nigerian currency,it makes physical handling of cash which is pervalent in Nigeria cumberson-especially in large transactions.Such a scenario would theoritically,increase the employment of cashless alternatives in payment.
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by lereinter(m): 8:48am On Aug 24, 2018
an extremely import based economy cant have a strong economy and currency
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Just30: 8:54am On Aug 24, 2018
Okoroawusa:

When you guys make these your Ghana currency statements I just laugh.

In 2007,it was 10000 Cedis to 1 dollar.Then Ghana did a redenomination removing four zeros to make it 1 cedis to 1 dollar.A decade later,its now 4 Cedis to 1 dollar.Do the math n add back the zeros.

The fact is that the Ghanaian economy is an appendage of the Nigerian economy. If Nigeria sneezes,Ghana catches cold.

How many Ghanaians have businesses in Nigeria,? how many Ghanaian banks have branches in Nigeria?
Ghanaian don't want to be in Nigeria because Nigeria is too poor
why should they waste their investment in a country where total savings at bank is around 100 billion dollars?
That is far below the amount of money circulating on mobile money in Ghana
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by omohayek: 8:56am On Aug 24, 2018
eduj:

you are right but also , when you remove -let's assume 2 zeros from the nigerian currency,it makes physical handling of cash which is pervalent in Nigeria cumberson-especially in large transactions.Such a scenario would theoritically,increase the employment of cashless alternatives in payment.
Again, this concern with the number of zeros in a currency is simply an irrelevance. Right now Google indicates that the US Dollar to South Korean Won trading rate is $1 USD to W1,118.70, while $1 USD is currently buying N363.94, but can any sane person compare Nigeria with South Korea along any index of development whatsoever?

The real obstacles to adoption of cashless transactions in Nigeria have nothing to do with the Naira's nominal value, and everything to do with the usual issues of rampant corruption and rank incompetence - not least due to a CBN which refuses to allow the telecoms firms to create their own version of Kenya's MPesa, even though Nigeria's domestic banks are too focused on the risk-free profits from round-tripping government-subsidized dollars (which is possible due to more incompetence, this time Buhari's) to care about dealing with retail customers.

2 Likes

Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Just30: 8:57am On Aug 24, 2018
Sirjamo:
You can imagine how surprised I was when my mum told me that she bought a loaf of bread with three thousand Ghana cedies in Takoradi, and that was two years ago o.
in New York, a loaf of bread cost 12 cedis
How better is the Naira to the dollar?

1 Like

Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Just30: 9:01am On Aug 24, 2018
agadez007:
When tundeednut posted about a Ghanaian musician who gave his mum 50,000 Ghana cedis which he gave the equivalent of 4 million in naira,some dumb Nigerians joined Ghanaians in dissing Nigeria
What they don't know is that Ghana redominated their currency,they knocked off 4 whole zeros from their currency,i remember when I asked a Ghana friends in 2001 to dash me 200,000 cedis and he told me that that was just 200naira,how did the cedi Magically gain against the Naira
Whenever you hear 50cedis,just add 4 zeros to that amount and that is the real amount, the 50 is just a facade, it is actually 500,000 cedis actually

Just stick to the fact, even without the redenomination
the cedi is still valuable than the naira.

redenomination is mostly just for accounting problems and to make the currency handy
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by revolt(m): 9:22am On Aug 24, 2018
I'm really shocked some so called economists here do not see any advantages with redecimalisation . They say it's purely psycological. The dynamics of redecimalisation even affects price mechanism, cash mop up, money laundering etc...all we do is read theory...application is impossible for the Blackman she..
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Okoroawusa: 9:24am On Aug 24, 2018
Just30:
why should they waste their investment in a country where total savings at bank is around 100 billion dollars?
ignored

1 Like

Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Okoroawusa: 9:28am On Aug 24, 2018
Just30:
Just stick to the fact, even without the redenomination
the cedi is still valuable than the naira.

redenomination is mostly just for accounting problems and to make the currency handy
u r not still getting it

1 Like

Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Okoroawusa: 9:32am On Aug 24, 2018
Just30:
in New York, a loaf of bread cost 12 cedis How better is the Naira to the dollar?
just add four zeros to that 12 to get the real value

1 Like

Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by edoman2016: 9:57am On Aug 24, 2018
Just30:
You are a fool. Mention one single Ghana company operating in Nigeria and I will give you thousands of Nigerian companies with branches in Ghana. Thereby creating jobs for Ghanaian. Even Alomo Bitters producer was chased out of Nigerian market due to competition.

The fact is Nigeria is richer than Ghana and accept the truth. Nigeria is a big brother to Ghana just as America is a big brother to Canada.

I hate people that argue based on sentiment

3 Likes

Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by kayfra: 10:24am On Aug 24, 2018
Saao:
haha what's your problem with ipob? If you hate them this much, why not let them go?
Does it look like I am holding them back? Who really wants them? Not me

2 Likes

Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Just30: 12:35pm On Aug 24, 2018
Okoroawusa:

you mean ?
there is no such thing as adding zeros to a currency to get value
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Just30: 12:36pm On Aug 24, 2018
Okoroawusa:

so the naira has value than the dollar ?

1 Like

Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Just30: 12:40pm On Aug 24, 2018
edoman2016:

You are a fool. Mention one single Ghana company operating in Nigeria and I will give you thousands of Nigerian companies with branches in Ghana. Thereby creating jobs for Ghanaian. Even Alomo Bitters producer was chased out of Nigerian market due to competition.

The fact is Nigeria is richer than Ghana and accept the truth. Nigeria is a big brother to Ghana just as America is a big brother to Canada.

I hate people that argue based on sentiment
wow
even your foolish leaders wont make the kind of comment you just made here
why should any company leave or expand from a very lucrative country into a place where total money in circulation is less than 100 billion dollars
not forgetting, they will have to invest 6 times as much as they are investing in their current location
Just to make less than they are making ?
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by kennypoju04: 12:44pm On Aug 24, 2018
Their situation is saddening,I don't pray we get to that level before we start reasoning normal

1 Like

Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Okoroawusa: 1:03pm On Aug 24, 2018
Just30:
so the naira has value than the dollar ?
The value of that bread u bought for 12 cedis.

1 dollar =4 Cedis( no black market price)
1 dollar= 305( no black market price)
12 cedis ÷ 4= 3

Then 3× 305= 915

#915 that is the price for that your loaf of bread. Then,in real terms a loaf of bread is more expensive in Ghana than Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Just30: 2:27pm On Aug 24, 2018
Okoroawusa:

The value of that bread u bought for 12 cedis.

1 dollar =4 Cedis( no black market price)

1 dollar= 305( no black market price)

12 cedis ÷ 4= 3

Then 3× 305= 915

#915 that is the price for that your loaf of bread.
Then,in real terms a loaf of bread is more expensive in Ghana than Nigeria.
yeah
a loaf of bread in New York cost 12 cedis
how is the naira better than the dollar?

do you have problems reading?
Just so you know
a dollar is 361
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by justtoodark: 2:43pm On Aug 24, 2018
dont try it in nigeria....nigerians will get used to it....

bad idea....

venezuela is not doing well a tall....

produce more goods....

grow more food....
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by justtoodark: 2:45pm On Aug 24, 2018
Tolexander:
It doesn't change anything on the economy.
Only creates a problem of trying to adjust the whole system to the new currency.

tell am....leaders would only remove zeros than solving the problem....
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by greenmonk: 3:49pm On Aug 24, 2018
KnowAll:
Venezuela has just removed 5 zeros from their currency exchanging against the dollar. Why can’t we remove two zeros. So that one dollar being 350 Naira would now be N3.50 kobo.

Abi I lie�
Even if you remove two zeroes the naira still won't equal the dollar besides how sre sure that the zeroes won't come back on their own. I`d rather wish you sell petrol at 40 naira first
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Paretomaster1(m): 3:55pm On Aug 24, 2018
Ogah, how does dis improve the value of the naira?

Abi I no sani economics again....OP, pls stick to hawking your okpa, and Abatcha
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by edoman2016: 4:04pm On Aug 24, 2018
Just30:
wow
even your foolish leaders wont make the kind of comment you just made here
why should any company leave or expand from a very lucrative country into a place where total money in circulation is less than 100 billion dollars
not forgetting, they will have to invest 6 times as much as they are investing in their current location
Just to make less than they are making ?
You know nothing about business. Nigerian companies are very ambitious and pan African. Our companies such as Dangote, Zenith Bank, UBA bank, GTB, and so on have expanded to several African countries.

Have you wondered why Nigerian companies are finding it difficult to expand and dominate south African market? It's because South African is a match for Nigeria in all ramifications. South Africa is richer than Nigeria and that's why only south African companies such as DSTV, ShopRite, MTN have the guts to come to Nigeria and dominate it's market.

I am not crucifying Ghana as a poor country but the fact is Nigeria is richer than Ghana. The size of our economy is bigger than Ghana's.
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Just30: 6:29pm On Aug 24, 2018
edoman2016:

You know nothing about business. Nigerian companies are very ambitious and pan African. Our companies such as Dangote, Zenith Bank, UBA bank, GTB, and so on have expanded to several African countries.

Have you wondered why Nigerian companies are finding it difficult to expand and dominate south African market? It's because South African is a match for Nigeria in all ramifications. South Africa is richer than Nigeria and that's why only south African companies such as DSTV, ShopRite, MTN have the guts to come to Nigeria and dominate it's market.

I am not crucifying Ghana as a poor country but the fact is Nigeria is richer than Ghana. The size of our economy is bigger than Ghana's.
the size of Nigerias economy is bigger
doesnt necessarily make Nigeria richer
just check Nigeria tax revenue on the yearly basis
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by Nobody: 7:16pm On Aug 24, 2018
omohayek:

Again, this concern with the number of zeros in a currency is simply an irrelevance. Right now Google indicates that the US Dollar to South Korean Won trading rate is $1 USD to W1,118.70, while $1 USD is currently buying N363.94, but can any sane person compare Nigeria with South Korea along any index of development whatsoever?

The real obstacles to adoption of cashless transactions in Nigeria have nothing to do with the Naira's nominal value, and everything to do with the usual issues of rampant corruption and rank incompetence - not least due to a CBN which refuses to allow the telecoms firms to create their own version of Kenya's MPesa, even though Nigeria's domestic banks are too focused on the risk-free profits from round-tripping government-subsidized dollars (which is possible due to more incompetence, this time Buhari's) to care about dealing with retail customers.
bro,I didn't claim that what you posted is wrong,I only pointed out a possible reason to remove the zeros.Cashless policy is being mitigated by a whole lot of reasons ranging from ineptitude to ignorance.If you are a regular shopper at outfits like shoprite etc,you must have noticed some folks prefer using their atm cards for payment to avoid the coins often given as balances.
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by banku: 7:37pm On Aug 24, 2018
It is a struggle whether to reply someone that takes to name calling instead of reasonable logic against whatever he disagreed with.

Your types are the ones that brought us to our knees. It started with Structural Adjustment, you backed them up. They later apologized for the way it was implemented. Then came devaluation, you backed them up each time promising increased trade and exports for one commodity exporter.

Before you talk about forefathers like someone without home training, ask yourself if these same fathers should have been exchanging gold and diamond for mirrors. The same gold they used to back up their worthless currencies in The Bank Of England or US Treasury.

What is the difference between mirrors then and the colored papers now (there are more one hundred US note outside than inside)?

You are not going to hear from me again. I have no time arguing with your types. May be you need to attend a culture or training class.

BTW, find out why they killed Gadhafi over Dinar, Lumumba over shunning dollar, Mugabe subdued over dollar, Nyerere reduced over Ujama and Saudi Arabia supported over pegging dollar to petrol.

Call yourself economist?

omohayek:

What economically illiterate drivel! Isn't the very currency you want to see renominated also coming from "theory from the Western countries' point of view"? Were your illiterate forefathers in the 19th century using fractional reserve banking? If removing zeros from a currency affected a nation's wealth, wouldn't South Korea and Japan, with their "weak" currencies, be far poorer than the same Ghana one of you economic illiterates is praising? It's laughable to see people still repeating the same sort of nonsense that came out of the mouth of an uneducated ape like Idi Amin back in the 1970s.

Those who have noted that lopping off zeros would change nothing are 100% in the right, and anyone arguing otherwise is speaking from rank ignorance and a room-temperature IQ. Unless the Nigerian government was able to find new sources of funding for all of its obligations, all that would happen is that the same number of zeros would come off both salaries and the prices of goods and services, making no one better off in any meaningful way. A man who earns N50,000 and has N48,000 in monthly expenses is no better or worse off than a man who earns N500 a month yet has expenses of N480.
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by samleey(m): 11:06pm On Aug 24, 2018
It wouldn't change anything... Price of things in Ghana is still the same.
Price of things either food stuff or cloths, building materials are times two of Nigeria market price.
KnowAll:
It does, Ghana did and seems all of a sudden Ghana has a stronger currency while we wallow in our worthless currency.
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by samleey(m): 11:10pm On Aug 24, 2018
Have you been to Ghana?
If yes, for how many months. Then you will be able to understand what you said.
KnowAll:
Re: If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 by samleey(m): 11:13pm On Aug 24, 2018
You are 100% right.
Don't mind them, they only made there conclusion about Ghana in what those that have not been there are saying. Nigeria economy is far better than Ghana 100%.
Butterflyle0:

Ghanaian currency is not stronger as you allude.

Nigerian economy is 2 times stronger than that of Ghana

What you buy here for 30k, in Ghana you buy it for 55k to 60k.

Forget the removal of zeros it does not affect the economy in any way.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nuhu Ribadu Reacts To Bode George's Sentencing / 2011: Ribadu Declines To Contest For Presidency / Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.