Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away (3062 Views)

Supers List! Top 5 Slang Words In Nigeria In 2022 / 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / 7 World Famous Words That Originated In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 24, 2018
Every single year, the Internet provides lots of slang words that most users can’t help but latch on to and insert into as many conversations as possible. Unfortunately, not all trendy slang deserve to stay, as some trendy words and phrases have run their course.

Salty
When you’re annoyed, bitter, or upset, the slang used to refer to how you feel is “salty.” One can stay salty for a moment or for a very long time.

Fake news
This slang was made popular by President Donald Trump, you would think “fake” news is supposed to describe completely inaccurate and fabricated news, but it is now most commonly used to describe any news that goes against one’s views.

Woke
This slang started out as a way to label people as culturally and politically aware has unfortunately turned out to become an evidence of how culturally and politically aware people like to think they are. If you feel the urge to call yourself and others woke, chances are you probably are not.

Lit
“Lit” implies that something is cool, especially when it pertains to parties. The slang is also synonymous with being drunk, high, wasted or any other thing to describe having a great time. Like so many other words, the fire has gone out of this word.

Turnt
this is a short way of saying turned up, “turnt” means when you are either super excited or drunk. This phrase has been so overused that it is now one of those slang words that’s been turned all the way down.

Fire
This word should never be taken literally. This Internet slang means something is hot, popping, crazy, or awesome. This word is not to be confused with actual fire, that can legitimately cause harm to you.
This slang word should die a natural death given that it is essential to stop the confusion and put the “fire” out.

GOAT
An acronym for the “Greatest of All Time,” this is used when referring to the greats, mostly in sports. However, the term has moved to other fields and can describe anyone thriving in their industry. While this is quite the compliment, there are more appealing labels to give exceptional people than a smelly animal.

Extra
When someone is over the top, or “doing the most” as people also love to say, the Internet word to refer to them is being extra. While people don’t always have to try so hard, describing them as “extra” is also a little extra.
Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by Nobody: 8:29pm On Aug 24, 2018
Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by hector1046(m): 8:33pm On Aug 24, 2018
Some of the slang is a little strange to me, maybe I'm outdated

1 Like

Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by zinnydan(f): 8:37pm On Aug 24, 2018
Na dem they rush us no dey there...so e no complete

3 Likes

Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by giftedheart1(m): 11:41pm On Aug 24, 2018
there is this one dey call "o sha prapara"... i knew the devil was in charge when i heard a pastor say, ...now make a resounding aleluia 'ti o sha prapara .si Olorun!!!

3 Likes

Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by TonyBankz(m): 12:00am On Aug 25, 2018
JAPPA NKO
NA DEM DY RUSH OUR PAPA NKO
OP ARE U INSANE undecided

1 Like

Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by ola12(m): 3:44am On Aug 25, 2018
Op wats ur issue with dose slangs?? undecided
Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by fk001(m): 8:24am On Aug 25, 2018
Leave our slangs alone, we are not complaining.

Let me use it sef cheesy grin

You woke up with this fake news feeling turnt in spreading it. I rushed into this thread thinking i will see some kind of lit news but i am disappointed now my mood is salty all thanks to you.

This your thread is no fire at all, so stop feeling extra ordinary because you are not GOAT

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by hacmond(m): 9:20am On Aug 25, 2018
Hello? What’s dis please undecided
Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by frankosivue(m): 10:22am On Aug 25, 2018
fk001:

You woke up with this fake news feeling turnt in spreading it. I rushed into this thread thinking i will see some kind of lit news but i am disappointed now my mood is salty all thanks to you.

This your thread is no fire at all, so stop feeling extra ordinary because you are not GOAT

hahahahaha

3 Likes

Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 25, 2018
You forgot the one that needs to go the most: “FLEEK”!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by mamaafrik(m): 11:50am On Aug 25, 2018
giftedheart1:
there is this one dey call "o sha prapara"... i knew the devil was in charge when i heard a pastor say, ...now make a resounding aleluia 'ti o sha prapara .si Olorun!!!
afi ki Jesu kristi funpe bayioo
Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by mamaafrik(m): 11:54am On Aug 25, 2018
waitooo,op ,emi o mo how old are you,but those slangs aren't Nigerian.where is "thunder fire you","jaapa","omo aiye","osha pra pra"??,u miss road

1 Like

Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by ibidun1992: 12:02pm On Aug 25, 2018
Op wats ur issue with dose slangs??

Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by Michelle55: 12:04pm On Aug 25, 2018
fk001:

cheesy You nailed it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by walyx(m): 1:09pm On Aug 25, 2018
fk001:

Mehn! i dey feel u

1 Like

Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by N0favors: 1:24pm On Aug 25, 2018
KillaBeauty:
You forgot the one that needs to go the most: “FLEEK”!!!
Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 25, 2018
Who r u to determine wat goes
Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by sylvez(m): 3:54pm On Aug 25, 2018
hector1046:
Some of the slang is a little strange to me, maybe I'm outdated

Me too

May be.... U don't know
Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by Moveonmax: 4:31pm On Aug 25, 2018
Lol
Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by Nobody: 7:01pm On Aug 25, 2018
I used woke for the first time today, before I saw this article
It felt strange cheesy but was just the right word I needed to use then. Anyway, words are just words and should be used however they can convey messages well. The reason I love WA Pidgin (bad at it though cry) and Igbo. One can really dig in! Lol
Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by zicoraads: 7:07pm On Aug 25, 2018
But why should they go?

And I'm not sure some of them fall into the "slang" category. You might want to check what a slang truly is. smiley
Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by giftedheart1(m): 7:34pm On Aug 25, 2018
mamaafrik:
afi ki Jesu kristi funpe bayioo
no nau...make him wait o
Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by troubleseller: 7:50pm On Aug 25, 2018
All these are sheets. The slang that needs to go is 'slay'

Re: Seven Trendy Slang Words That Need To Go Away by dingbang(m): 8:30pm On Aug 25, 2018
ola12:
Op wats ur issue with dose slangs?? undecided
those

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yabatech Post Utme 2019/2020 / Take Note Of This, They Are Really Damaging Your Kidney Slowwwly / Ui Dept Of Petroleum Engr, How Is It Like. Any Student From Ui Or Any Other Schl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.