Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,808,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates (24585 Views)

Full List: Multichoice Increases Dstv, Gotv Subscription Prices… See New Rates / Bbnaija : Nengi Shuns Ozo, Says Her Heart Is With Someone Else / Bbnaija Retains Ebuka As Host For 2019 Tv Reality Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 25, 2018
why all the pathetic wailing?

dstv's lawyers have probably consulted nigerias laws and found they cannot be mandated to reduce the price of their service.

if you don't like dstv - boycott them

no one has a right to cheap premium tv

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by nicason(m): 4:03pm On Aug 25, 2018
tolufase:
. You're on point bros. The high level of corruption has practically made impossible for competitors to survive in that sector. That was how mtn came in and subjected us to various forms of extortion not until glo came and introduced per second.

You re far from the truth why can't Nigerians do come together and Chase them bastard out

1 Like

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Forzap: 4:04pm On Aug 25, 2018
adewumiopeyemi:
Useless people even there call centeragent in Nigeria . They pay them 45k.. which way Nigeria..... embarassed embarassed I gues. Because they haven't have more tvcable challenging them..

lie!! they pay more than that (above 70k)
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by KanwuliaExtra: 4:04pm On Aug 25, 2018

In July, MultiChoice raised the subscription rate for the DSty Premium package from N14,700 to N15,800, Compact Plus from N9,900 to N10,650, Compact from N6,300 to N6,800.

The Family package went from N3,800 to N4,000, and Access from N1,900 to N2,000 which was implemented from Aug 1.

These are some cheap $$$$ rates o! shocked

Shyte-Hole country price!
Na wetin dem dey complain about? undecided

I dey pay $115 every month for 5 receivers plus America’s top 200 channels.

Over N40,000 equivalent? grin
Thank awa lucky stars for better employment o! wink
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Platony(m): 4:06pm On Aug 25, 2018
ollah2:

I can recall Mtn saying, per second billing isn't possible. Glo started if and here we are now.

Am telling u,...if nt for d likes of glo da yr,....MTN for carry our eye see pepper.

1 Like

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Frankicent(m): 4:09pm On Aug 25, 2018
wristbangle:
In SouthAfrica, DSTV is not among the top TV satellite brands as competitors offers quality service and reasonable price to them. It's only in Nigeria where nepotism and corruption is having a field day they can practice this unlawful act of milking the masses and it's courtesy of the orangutans/clueless barbarians in power.

Ideally, if competition speaks in the TV satellite sectors just like in the telecommunications, by now even their premium subscription price would have reduced to N1000 or be forced to shut down. If not for the likes of Glo who brought per secs billing, Money Taking Network ABI EmptyHen will still be billing us per min.

Useless thieves.

we all know our government aren't business orientated, or even care for it's citizen. See bro to me Nigeria just the name alone is a brand..Talk less investing in the country.

Anybody who invest in Nigeria would make more profit cause we Nigerians self we prefer Quantity or quality. Make e say plenty, with freemium package.

I don't own a business I know someday I will and trust me.. I will scale up to a top competitor.

Why am I saying this cause DSTV understand how we Nigerians think they know what we want.

So far they still have access to Live sports licences... Nigerians don't mind oo if the price is up to 18k... we go pay...

To say in a Nigerian market competitors need to think outside the common marketing strategy and think like a Nigerian.�

See Coke, Pespi Vs Big Cola... You see how big cola bottle is and it's cheaper than coke and pespi.. #100
I believe big cola is barely upto 6years Nigerians are already going haywire for it.

Peak milk Vs Hollandain Milk .... Peak got name and quality but expensive to some.... Holladain Got great taste but cheaper....

Now coke cola has 1 Navida or Nvidia drink that's been sold for #50... Taste like Fayourz.... See market lol...

so Nigerian market na quantity ooo not quality....
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Innov8ve1: 4:11pm On Aug 25, 2018
they need to picket dstv and force them to close up shop unless they drop the subscription rates, they cant keep exploiting nigerians
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by ibegeeee: 4:14pm On Aug 25, 2018
wristbangle:
In SouthAfrica, DSTV is not among the top TV satellite brands as competitors offers quality service and reasonable price to them. It's only in Nigeria where nepotism and corruption is having a field day they can practice this unlawful act of milking the masses and it's courtesy of the orangutans/clueless barbarians in power.

Ideally, if competition speaks in the TV satellite sectors just like in the telecommunications, by now even their premium subscription price would have reduced to N1000 or be forced to shut down. If not for the likes of Glo who brought per secs billing, Money Taking Network ABI EmptyHen will still be billing us per min.

Useless thieves.

Sorry Bro ….you're talking rubbish

1. We live in hopefully a free society so anyone within the law can set up any legal business
2. Cable or satellite television is not essential commodity - government or courts should have no business in setting prices for a private business
3. If you don't want to pay higher price don't pay for the service nobody is forcing you
4. You, Dangote and other Nigerians are free to establish your own satellite television service
5. if DSTV is really that profitable, those with money and sense will soon enter the market to challenge them (they will come from other parts of the world if no local business has the money or skills to challenge them)

6. if DSTV make themselves too expensive - the public wll not use them, or find ways around them not to pay the high prices.

7. DSTV have big costs to run business in Nigeria - just think of the diesel bill to run their servers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by frowland(m): 4:14pm On Aug 25, 2018
Yup, I called them few days ago over reconnection issue and they told me premium that I formally pay 16,800 is now 19k+. I had to reason deeply if it was morally right to pay such amount monthly and why they ignored court order.
If they ignore court order, then you should know they have backers either in the executive arm or the legislator.
But to be sincere, I do not think the court have the right to tell DSTV how to run their business as the service is not a must.
All the government can do in this situation is to allow a level playing field with other competitors just like the telecom sector.
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Kingspin(m): 4:15pm On Aug 25, 2018
I am not surprise the useless government of Nigeria will never give one the enabling business environment to operation yet they want to force politics on business owners. Running a Business in Nigeria is like doing business in Hell. The very useless government created the harsh system.
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by rock003: 4:19pm On Aug 25, 2018
Donald95:
Good

Paedophile Muhammadu Buhari started it. He weakened our judiciary by flouting Court orders.

Instead of foolish nigerian Government to use this opportunity to encourage indigenous satellite providers to overtake this DSTV, They rather choose to chook eye in another persons business

I heard DSTV gives lawmakers free Compact Decoders.
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Gerrard59(m): 4:23pm On Aug 25, 2018
ibegeeee:

Sorry Bro ….you're talking rubbish

1. We live in hopefully a free society so anyone within the law can set up any legal business
2. Cable or satellite television is not essential commodity - government or courts should have no business in setting prices for a private business
3. If you don't want to pay higher price don't pay for the service nobody is forcing you
4. You, Dangote and other Nigerians are free to establish your own satellite television service
5. if DSTV is really that profitable, those with money and sense will soon enter the market to challenge them (they will come from other parts of the world if no local business has the money or skills to challenge them)

6. if DSTV make themselves too expensive - the public wll not use them, or find ways around them not to pay the high prices.

7. DSTV have big costs to run business in Nigeria - just think of the diesel bill to run their servers

Kudos!

Most of the people castigating DSTV don't understand simple economics.

frowland:
Yup, I called them few days ago over reconnection issue and they
All the government can do in this situation is to allow a level playing field with other competitors just like the telecom sector.

What kind of level playing field do you want the government to place?
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by KaptainAfrika: 4:25pm On Aug 25, 2018
That's what they tried to do with TSTV but your hatred for the man, ensured it didn't fly. Before Buhari came, there was HITV but your corrupt PDP govt sold out, in exchange for free DSTV Subscription for life and/or p_ussy from the female marketers working in DSTV Marketing department.

Donald95:
Good

Paedophile Muhammadu Buhari started it. He weakened our judiciary by flouting Court orders.

Instead of foolish nigerian Government to use this opportunity to encourage indigenous satellite providers to overtake this DSTV, They rather choose to chook eye in another persons business

1 Like

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by KaptainAfrika: 4:27pm On Aug 25, 2018
Please specify which useless government. If there has been any useful government, DSTV WOULD HAVE HAD EFFECTIVE COMPETITION.

Kingspin:
I am not surprise the useless government of Nigeria will never give one the enabling business environment to operation yet they want to force politics on business owners. Running a Business in Nigeria is like doing business in Hell. The very useless government created the harsh system.
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by frowland(m): 4:27pm On Aug 25, 2018
Gerrard59:

Kudos!

Most of the people castigating DSTV don't understand simple economics.

What kind of level playing field do you want the government to place?

I think there are some underground deals going on with government and Multichoice. I remember many years ago 2009 thereabouts when their issue came up at the national assembly, till today nothing have come out of it.
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Gerrard59(m): 4:29pm On Aug 25, 2018
frowland:

I think there are some underground deals going on with government and Multichoice. I remember many years ago 2009 thereabouts when their issue came up at the national assembly, till today nothing have come out of it.

Like the government restricting the number and kind of channels DSTV can obtain rights to? How come Kwese is not affected?
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Frankicent(m): 4:31pm On Aug 25, 2018
Seriously I don't blame dstv cause they know the name Nigeria is a brand talk less of investing on her...

So far DSTV has premium right to air live soccer matches. E no concern Nigerians ooo.. We'll do our usual nagging and still pay.... even if price hike to 18500 naira. we go Pay. To scale in a Nigerian market you don't need quality product you need quantity.. Make e sha plenty... lol

See if TSTV want to top DSTV they don't need to compete DSTV is already an established brand.. . They've Even given back to Nigerian.... Multi choice empowerment and so on....

For tstv an indigenous investor to top the chart.. Do something different. The 45 Free to air premium channels is a start and it's PPD plan... Pay per day plan... That am sure DSTV cannot do cause there profit will drop by atless 5 to 10%... grin TSTV management hire me.
Only few guys will pay monthly or yearly.

why not do this and that.... I no talk make person no sell my idea.. grin
TSTV come and hire me oooo.... grin

See before glo came MTN was topping the market with expensive billing funny enough.. DSTV and MTN is run by same person . Do your research lol.....

Then Glo came and they were 2 musketeers before Air and 9 joined the cliq... Ghen Ghen.

We are complaining about Glo network is bad this and that.. Trust me if NCC should release chart for the last two month till now. I swear you'll see glo as top 2 position if position top MTN.

Glo Marketing department guys are smart. They know Nigerians are complaining bitterly concerning it's network. They careful survey what we want which is Data....Lwkmd give a Nigerian man or lady data for free.. Infant trump will hear it...

So they introduced Glo yakata + Oga sim data bonus = Free advertising, less CPC ads and more customers... am not a business student oo.. it's just pure Demand market.

glo bring back the 4gb for 1k you go kill them ..

Now MTN is doing same 1k for 4 GB offer is tempting to do... don't ask me how to do it I no dey talk ooo grin... Even saw 1 yesterday 250 or 300 naira for 1.2Gb.. MTN ooo
chai

See Nigerian market is easy to sky high.. As a competitor or investor you don't just need an MBA to beat your competitors just be street smart or hire me grin lolz...

1 Like

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by ajayiopy: 4:31pm On Aug 25, 2018
metroblogger:
Satellite service provider DStv has continued to implement its new bouquet rates despite court order restraining the action.

DStv is a Sub-Saharan African direct broadcast satellite service owned by MultiChoice. The service launched in 1995, provides multiple channels and services to its more than 11.9 million subscribers.

An official of DStv, who declined to give his name because they had been asked by the company not to speak on the issue, confirmed to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday that subscribers still pay the increased rates.

“The case is being reviewed at the moment and there are some information that I cannot disclose.

“But as it is, for all of the DStv subscriptions, the price still remains at its increased rate price list.

“I do not have any information as to how long it will take to review the prices but the case is being reviewed in the court with the business and legal experts,” he said.

In July, MultiChoice raised the subscription rate for the DSty Premium package from N14,700 to N15,800, Compact Plus from N9,900 to N10,650, Compact from N6,300 to N6,800.

The Family package went from N3,800 to N4,000, and Access from N1,900 to N2,000 which was implemented from Aug 1.

However, on Monday, Justice Nnamdi Dimgba granted an injunction restraining the video entertainment and Internet Company from implementing the new rates.

The court also restrained MultiChoice from any conduct capable of interfering with the regulatory process of the Consumer Protection Council (CPC).

The restraining order was issued in respect of Suit No FHC/ABJ/CS/894/18 brought before the court by the CPC following public outcry.

In March 2015, DStv announced a 20 per cent increase for all its satellite pay TV bouquets in Nigeria, which took effect from April 1, 2015.

An order of interim injunction restraining Multichoice from enforcing the planned increase was granted by Justice C.J. Aneke of the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos.

Inspite of the ruling, DStv went on to implement the increased prices with the defence that the Court order was granted on April 2 after price increase had taken effect on April 1, 2015.

The Director-General of CPC, Mr Babatunde Irukera in a statement on Friday unveiled a special channel for receiving complaints for customers who could not renew their subscriptions at old prices.

“The Council is setting up a special channel for receiving complaints for this purpose.

“This is in view of the continuing and increasing complaints that consumers are unsuccessful in renewing subscription in compliance with the order of the court, even after service of the order upon Multichoice.

“As such, any consumer who has, or is experiencing this challenge should please send an email to multichoicecompliance@cpc.gov.ng, stating relevant information.

“The information should include smart card number, name, telephone number, date and time of failed attempt to pay, supporting same with relevant evidence such as a screenshot or document (where necessary),” Irukera said.

http://www.metronaija.ng/price-hike-dstv-shuns-court-injunction-retains-new-rates-2/

WHAT IS ADENUGA DOING ABOUT THIS,HE SHOULD INVEST AND SEND THEM PARKING.AFTERALL WE ARE IN THE CAPITALIST WORLD

1 Like

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:38pm On Aug 25, 2018
babajeje123:

Abi o. Even ordinary antenna dey
Abeg shop knuckle
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by frowland(m): 4:40pm On Aug 25, 2018
Gerrard59:

Like the government restricting the number and kind of channels DSTV can obtain rights to? How come Kwese is not affected?

I can't really tell mate but I believe that their are real shady deals going on with government and big multinationals to maintain grip. Its no longer a secret.
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Frankicent(m): 4:45pm On Aug 25, 2018
Yankee101:
It's high time we sent DSTV out of the country

na we don't have too. They need competitors TSTV AND MAYBE 3 MORE... THEM GO CAME.
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by daniwise(m): 4:46pm On Aug 25, 2018
rock003:

I heard DSTV gives lawmakers free Compact Decoders.

Yes Na.from National Assembly to house of rep + free subscription.

1 Like

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Kingspin(m): 4:47pm On Aug 25, 2018
KaptainAfrika:
Please specify which useless government. If there has been any useful government, DSTV WOULD HAVE HAD EFFECTIVE COMPETITION.

Our failure have been with us since 1960. The Nigeria system have been a disaster no need to mention any particular government. Up-till this moment no sight of hope. Nigerians live by hope and perseverance but that will never change any thing till tomorrow. Our leadership must be willing but for now they are not.
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Potch: 4:47pm On Aug 25, 2018
wristbangle:

Useless thieves.

DSTV is also the top TV satellite in SA. The rate is even higher when you compare its Rand equivalence to Naira. The same way Nigerians complain is the same way South Africans also complain. The premium package was R750 (N22,500) as at 2015. I don't know what the rate is now. The only edge South Africa has over Nigeria is that internet service from the Telkom is affordable and many have switched to Netflix and co.

What DSTV has done is to monopolize airing of EPL, LaLiga and other notable programmes. The only way to break their shackles of monopoly and exorbitant rates is by granting access to other satellite TVs to these notable programmes.
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by rock003: 4:48pm On Aug 25, 2018
daniwise:

Yes Na.from National Assembly to house of rep + free subscription.

As a result, Nigerians will never have any sensible representation from the lawmakers

1 Like

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Allstrasse: 5:05pm On Aug 25, 2018
frowland:

I can't really tell mate but I believe that their are real shady deals going on with government and big multinationals to maintain grip. Its no longer a secret.

Typical Nigerian cowardly thinking. Only a wimp gives up so easily.
Adenuga has accomplished one very important thing in his life (among other things).
The per second billing debut was a masterstroke and revolutionary.

In solidarity with this great man who may not necessarily be a great patriot but is appealing
as a solid business man who never whimpers, I always keep a glo sim and try never to complain
about his precarious but ever improving network.

Gbosa to the Bull!

2 Likes

Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Tunagee(m): 5:09pm On Aug 25, 2018
dPriv:
Surprisingly, guys are finding cheaper ways out.

Exactly! For those who know.
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by adewumiopeyemi(m): 5:14pm On Aug 25, 2018
Bro am tell you the. Fact they pay. Less than 70k for there call center agent #fact#quote author=Forzap post=70601030]

lie!! they pay more than that (above 70k) [/quote]
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by frowland(m): 5:15pm On Aug 25, 2018
Allstrasse:

Typical Nigerian cowardly thinking. Only a wimp gives up so easily.
Adenuga has accomplished one very important thing in his life (among other things).
The per second billing debut was a masterstroke and revolutionary.

In solidarity with this great man who may not necessarily be a great patriot but is appealing
as a solid business man who never whimpers, I always keep a glo sim and try never to complain
about his precarious but ever improving network.

Gbosa to the Bull!

What is cowardly about my assertion? It seems most of you here cannot construct strings of sentences without insults. It's such a shame.
Interestingly, you mentioned glo and refuse to or maybe too ignorant to overlook the meeting and shady handshakes and other dealings that happened with Adenuga, and OBJ and the Oba of Ijebu Ode in Germany and Nertherland. Well, I don't engage with little minds. You can look for your group and exchange banter with. Leave me out of it. bye.
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by enemyofprogress: 5:15pm On Aug 25, 2018
Is Nigeria truly a country or a jungle?Discuss
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by Badooguy: 5:29pm On Aug 25, 2018
Very correct my guy, I park my DSTV since three months ago, my wife is very mad at me, am the one paying and not her. so we are using star time and I want to buy TSTV this month end to end DSTV in my house I cannot be working for them anymore in the bubu hard time.
MIKOLOWISKA:
did they force you to watch the dstv
Kwese Dey
Tstv de
Multi TV de (free o)
My TV de
Star times full grand

Why are you now crying crocodile tears
Re: Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates by ebuka1511(m): 5:43pm On Aug 25, 2018
metroblogger:
Satellite service provider DStv has continued to implement its new bouquet rates despite court order restraining the action.

DStv is a Sub-Saharan African direct broadcast satellite service owned by MultiChoice. The service launched in 1995, provides multiple channels and services to its more than 11.9 million subscribers.

An official of DStv, who declined to give his name because they had been asked by the company not to speak on the issue, confirmed to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday that subscribers still pay the increased rates.

“The case is being reviewed at the moment and there are some information that I cannot disclose.

“But as it is, for all of the DStv subscriptions, the price still remains at its increased rate price list.

“I do not have any information as to how long it will take to review the prices but the case is being reviewed in the court with the business and legal experts,” he said.

However, on Monday, Justice Nnamdi Dimgba granted an injunction restraining the video entertainment and Internet Company from implementing the new rates.

The court also restrained MultiChoice from any conduct capable of interfering with the regulatory process of the Consumer Protection Council (CPC).

The restraining order was issued in respect of Suit No FHC/ABJ/CS/894/18 brought before the court by the CPC following public outcry.

In March 2015, DStv announced a 20 per cent increase for all its satellite pay TV bouquets in Nigeria, which took effect from April 1, 2015.

An order of interim injunction restraining Multichoice from enforcing the planned increase was granted by Justice C.J. Aneke of the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos.

Inspite of the ruling, DStv went on to implement the increased prices with the defence that the Court order was granted on April 2 after price increase had taken effect on April 1, 2015.

The Director-General of CPC, Mr Babatunde Irukera in a statement on Friday unveiled a special channel for receiving complaints for customers who could not renew their subscriptions at old prices.

“The Council is setting up a special channel for receiving complaints for this purpose.

“This is in view of the continuing and increasing complaints that consumers are unsuccessful in renewing subscription in compliance with the order of the court, even after service of the order upon Multichoice.

“As such, any consumer who has, or is experiencing this challenge should please send an email to multichoicecompliance@cpc.gov.ng, stating relevant information.

“The information should include smart card number, name, telephone number, date and time of failed attempt to pay, supporting same with relevant evidence such as a screenshot or document (where necessary),” Irukera said.

http://www.metronaija.ng/price-hike-dstv-shuns-court-injunction-retains-new-rates-2/

Its a free market, to me we have no choice asking the court to stop Multi Choice recent increase in DSTV subscriptions, as consumers, we should exercise our power, we all knows the laws of supply and demand! There are other substitutes products out there and if we the consumers are really serious about this, let's boycott the services and see if fall in demand for their services would make them have a rethink, but you all know, we are Nigerians, we always pick our bills.
Let our judiciary not start a precedent of what will hurt the free market, let market forces dictate the pace of business. My humble opinion.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Your Most Boring TV Shows Currently Airing / Download Fantastic Four 2015 / Dupsy Abiola, MKO 's Daughter Appearance On Dragons Den UK (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.