Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (88) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (444038 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (259) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Archtopher3: 3:50pm On Oct 20, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

The 07 G35 competes with the 4th gen TL (2009), not the 07 Acura.

07 TL is a fancy Accord for the most part. Get the Type S if you must get one, although those are getting a bit rare.

The G35 drives better, is considerably faster, and handles better. It's just a better car all-around.

The 09 TL with SH-AWD is what competes with the V36 G35/G37. The G is still the more driver-focused car but the TL looks better and is more luxurious. It's also a lot more expensive to own, though. That car parts dey cost die.

The G is awful with fuel. I buy 40k fuel every month and I don't drive more than ~1000 miles.
Don't buy a Nigerian used G. Unless you can get it properly inspected.

Thanks @Durchmann for pointing out my post again. I was already settled on going for the TL

@HeavenlyBang I know it's the 4th gen TL that competes with the 07' G35. But I'm not a fan of its design or price (*cough.. student)
I emphasized on being low on a budget (2M.ish) so the fuel economy of the G35 is a turn off for me and @9icetoo also said the same of the TL.
It appears my v6 dreams are riding on octane boosters atm. All the same I compared those two for a reason and its because they are my only sporty/reliable.ish options rn (I want a sizeable fast not so common sedan) so I still stick to my model year comparation even though its unfair to the older TL.
#1. By "the parts cost die" do you mean the 3rd gen or 4th gen TL models?.. also, what are the maintenance costs like for your G35 comparatively
#2. Pls advice on my unfair comparation or suggest any alternative sleeper I might settle for. ^2M budget*

@nurey, I cant afford a drive position swap in regards to your skyline suggestion.
#1. Would you say the 07 G35 does reliability better than the 3rd gen 07 TL? Cos that's a major win over the TL even fuel consumption or a higher msrp can't trump (p.s I'm aware of transmission issues of the tl in < 06 models, how about everything else)
#2ndly. What about cost of parts relatively (as everything automotive is expensive in this country)

I expect my cash ready early in March next year I pray car prices get lower by some miraculous hand from heaven lemme just buy Lexus GS350 and rest. But unless that,

07 TL vs 07 G35 people, thanks
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:52pm On Oct 20, 2019
Archtopher3:

Thanks @Durchmann for pointing out my post again. I was already settled on going for the TL

@HeavenlyBang I know it's the 4th gen TL that competes with the 07' G35. But I'm not a fan of its design or price (*cough.. student)
I emphasized on being low on a budget (2M.ish) so the fuel economy of the G35 is a turn off for me. @9icetoo also said the same of the TL.
It appears my v6 dreams are riding on octane boosters atm. All the same I compared those two for a reason and its because they are my only sporty/reliable.ish options I know (I want a sizable fast not so common sedan) I still stick to my model year comparations even though its unfair to the older TL.
#1. By "the parts cost die" do you mean the 3rd gen or 4th gen TL models?.. also, what are your maintenance costs like for the G35 comparably
#2. Pls advice on my unfair comparation or suggest if you got any alternative sleeper I might settle for.

@nurey, I cant afford a drive position swap in regards to your skyline suggestion.
#1. Would you say the 07 G35 does reliability better than the 3rd gen 07 TL? Cos that's a major win over the TL even fuel consumption or a higher msrp can't trump (p.s I'm aware of transmission issues of the tl in < 06 models, how about everything else)
#2ndly. What about cost of parts relatively (as everything automotive is expensive in this country)

I expect my cash ready early in March next year I pray car prices get lower by some miraculous hand from heaven lemme just buy Lexus GS350 and rest. But unless that,

07 TL vs 07 G35 people, thanks

Both cars are reliable.
The 4th gen TL is the one with very expensive parts.
I have no idea about the 3rd gen TL.
G is pretty darn cheap to maintain if you know your way.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 20, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Both cars are reliable.
The 4th gen TL is the one with very expensive parts.
I have no idea about the 3rd gen TL.
G is pretty darn cheap to maintain if you know your way.
I am almost tempted to ask what is the way? But you spend 40,000 Naira for a thousand miles.... Nothing cheap or affordable in that.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 4:02pm On Oct 20, 2019
Archtopher3:

I emphasized on being low on a budget (2M.ish) so the fuel economy of the G35 is a turn off for me and @9icetoo also said the same of the TL.
-It appears my v6 dreams are riding on octane boosters atm- lol
All the same I compared those two for a reason and its because they are my only sporty/reliable.ish options rn (I want a sizeable fast not so common sedan) so I still stick to my model year comparation even though its unfair to the older TL.
#1. By "the parts cost die" do you mean the 3rd gen or 4th gen TL models?.. also, what are the maintenance costs like for your G35 comparatively
#2. Pls advice on my unfair comparation or suggest any alternative sleeper I might settle for. ^2M budget*

07 TL vs 07 G35 people, thanks ppl

The TL shares part with accord which would be easy to come by in the market especially if you buy one fitted with the 3.5L instead of the 3.2L

if you are concerned about fuel economy and not too common, a Honda Accord Europe or it's look alike Acura TSX 04 to 08 should do, the 205hp ride isn't the fastest but would be nibble enough to take on most i4 and turbo powered i4 of same era.

if you are hell bent on the TL vs G35, a 3.5L type S would be more appropriate than the G35 due to easy access to parts, can easily be fixed, updated mechanicals and corrections over the 3.2L Engine in pre TL

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:06pm On Oct 20, 2019
Smartchoiice:

I am almost tempted to ask what is the way? But you spend 40,000 Naira for a thousand miles.... Nothing cheap or affordable in that.

Fuel cost has nothing to do with maintenance. I get 12 MPG, and the MB E320 gets about the same, while making way less power. What's your point?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 20, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Fuel cost has nothing to do with maintenance. I get 12 MPG, and the MB E320 gets about the same, while making way less power. What's your point?
Nah I spend far less on the MB E320 for the same distance.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:15pm On Oct 20, 2019
Smartchoiice:

Nah I spend far less on the MB E320 for the same distance.

Your car is a rust bucket, though.

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 20, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Says who?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 4:23pm On Oct 20, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

K-O grin

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 4:25pm On Oct 20, 2019
Smartchoiice:
Says who?
accept my condolences grin
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 20, 2019
nurey:

The TL shares part with accord which would be easy to come by in the market especially if you buy one fitted with the 3.5L instead of the 3.2L

if you are concerned about fuel economy and not too common, a Honda Accord Europe or it's look alike Acura TSX 04 to 08 should do, the 205hp ride isn't the fastest but would be nibble enough to take on most i4 and turbo powered i4 of same era.

if you are hell bent on the TL vs G35, a 3.5L type S would be more appropriate than the G35 due to easy access to parts, can easily be fixed, updated mechanicals and corrections over the 3.2L Engine in pre TL

Which kind corrections Alfa Nurey?

The engines were produced around the same time. The Type S 3.5L engine debuted in the 2004 Honda legend same time the J32A3 debuted in the 04 tl so one cannot be said to have corrections over the other.

That said, the guy should just get the basic TL from 07. He gets a slightly better gas mileage and it also costs less than the type S

While most of the tl mechanical parts are easy to get, the body parts are very scarce and costly especially for non lagosians. Op should be prepared to drive carefully if he eventually gets the Tl.

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 20, 2019
nurey:

accept my condolences grin
Cyberpeace Alfa.

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 4:52pm On Oct 20, 2019
rationalmind:

The engines were produced around the same time. The Type S 3.5L engine debuted in the 2004 Honda legend same time the J32A3 debuted in the 04 tl so one cannot be said to have corrections over the other.

That said, the guy should just get the basic TL from 07. He gets a slightly better gas mileage and it also costs less than the type S

Also while most of the tl mechanical parts may be easy to get, the body parts are very scarce and costly especially for non lagosians. Op should be prepared to drive carefully if he eventually gets the Tl.

The transmission issues were recorded in the 3.2L Engine not the 3.5L that's what I meant by upgrade.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Archtopher3: 5:29pm On Oct 20, 2019
nurey:

Helpful, thanks
I can consider a TSX and just save. Was Drake's 1st car after all so who am I
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Archtopher3: 5:44pm On Oct 20, 2019
rationalmind:

While most of the tl mechanical parts are easy to get, the body parts are very scarce and costly especially for non lagosians. Op should be prepared to drive carefully if he eventually gets the Tl.

Yh, the 3.2L 07'> got the 3.5L transmission as a fix (RL's to be precise)
The body part talk sent chills..
I'm relatively a cautious driver so hopefully that won't be a problem (especially if I get 1 with the reverse cam)

Helpful, thanks
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 5:44pm On Oct 20, 2019
nurey:

The transmission issues were recorded in the 3.2L Engine not the 3.5L that's what I meant by upgrade.

Ooh okay but remember the 07 also has the 3.2L which has the same transmission as the 3.5L type S.

He should just go for the 07-08 non type S especially as fuel economy and cost are priorities
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by 9icetoo(m): 8:13am On Oct 21, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

The TL definitely doesn't handle as well as the G35. I believe the G has a 51/49 weight distribution, with a Viscous Limited Slip Differential. Also has a lower center of gravity.
The TL with the shawd handles better than any sedan in its class and launches better.
It can send more than 70% torque to any wheel and almost 80% to the rear when required. The CG should be similar to the G35.
Acura had the best awd system in that generation. No other car manufacturer came close.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by kossyablaze(m): 7:29am On Oct 23, 2019
Pls help....im torn between avalon 2007, Es350 2007[costly] and camry spider 2007....pls which should I go for?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 8:11am On Oct 23, 2019
kossyablaze:
Pls help....im torn between avalon 2007, Es350 2007[costly] and camry spider 2007....pls which should I go for?

engine is same 2GR in all contenders except Camry has a 4cylinder which will be tops in fuel economy.

The Lexus has a higher luxurious fitting and finish than the top of the line Avalon. The Camry is just basic even the XLE or GL (which is rare).

The Camry is a robber magnet, the Avalon isn't favored at all by men of the under world, the Lexus is about to join the robber magnet club due to it's popularity.

The Avalon has less presence on road and bigger than the ES, meaning more legroom, better sitting area, more cargo capacity but the drive won't be chic compared to the ES which is a Camry with luxurious finish.

Resale value, the ES > Camry i4 > Camry V6 > Avalon.

All contenders are very ok, but if you are adamant on fuel economy, the 4cylinder Camry would do but adviceable to buy a 10upwards Camry with 2.5L instead of 07-09 with 2.4L

4 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by 9icetoo(m): 11:26am On Oct 23, 2019
kossyablaze:
Buy the es. It's a better car all round. Better finish, better sound system and nicer interior.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Godrocks: 2:42pm On Oct 23, 2019
guys how much is Toyota corolla 2005?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:39pm On Oct 23, 2019
Godrocks:
guys how much is Toyota corolla 2005?

There's a search function on Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dare01: 1:08pm On Oct 29, 2019
Hi guys, i am torn in between the es350 2007 and 2009. Any differences in the drive train, fuel consumption, cargo space, efficiency, maintenance, problem related issues etc. I need your input please

CC: nurey HeavenlyBang and other car guru
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Rubbiish(m): 1:13pm On Oct 29, 2019
nurey:

engine is same 2GR in all contenders except Camry has a 4cylinder which will be tops in fuel economy.

The Lexus has a higher luxurious fitting and finish than the top of the line Avalon. The Camry is just basic even the XLE or GL (which is rare).

The Camry is a robber magnet, the Avalon isn't favored at all by men of the under world, the Lexus is about to join the robber magnet club due to it's popularity.

The Avalon has less presence on road and bigger than the ES, meaning more legroom, better sitting area, more cargo capacity but the drive won't be chic compared to the ES which is a Camry with luxurious finish.

Resale value, the ES > Camry i4 > Camry V6 > Avalon.

All contenders are very ok, but if you are adamant on fuel economy, the 4cylinder Camry would do but adviceable to buy a 10upwards Camry with 2.5L instead of 07-09 with 2.4L
@bold why do many car expert say it?
Is there anything wrong with 07-09?
Thanks
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 1:50pm On Oct 29, 2019
dare01:
Hi guys, i am torn in between the es350 2007 and 2009. Any differences in the drive train, fuel consumption, cargo space, efficiency, maintenance, problem related issues etc. I need your input please

facelift started in 2010.

the difference between both you picked is one was manufactured earlier than the other, but 07 and 09 ES share same thing trim for trim

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 1:52pm On Oct 29, 2019
Rubbiish:
@bold why do many car expert say it? Is there anything wrong with 07-09? Thanks
The 2.4l 2azfe for the us market Camry had factory defects.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:54pm On Oct 29, 2019
dare01:

CC: nurey HeavenlyBang and other car guru

Same cars. Engine and transmission weren't new for 2007 either, since they'd been used on the 05/06 Avalon already. No problem with buying an 07.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dare01: 6:10pm On Oct 29, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Same cars. Engine and transmission weren't new for 2007 either, since they'd been used on the 05/06 Avalon already. No problem with buying an 07.

Thanks
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dare01: 6:10pm On Oct 29, 2019
nurey:

facelift started in 2010.

the difference between both you picked is one was manufactured earlier than the other, but 07 and 09 ES share same thing trim for trim

Appreciate
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by awele186: 4:37pm On Nov 02, 2019
Hello guys please i need your recommendations between honda accord 2014 and lexus es350 2010 in terms of maintenance, reliability, parts and prestige
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by nurey(m): 7:15pm On Nov 02, 2019
awele186:
Hello guys please i need your recommendations between honda accord 2014 and lexus es350 2010 in terms of maintenance, reliability, parts and prestige

These is actually a tough one. You may think the Acura is supposed to compete with the Lexus, but the standard equipment in the 9th gen Accord is mad, I have been opportuned to view the EX-L accord and I can say it holds a lot to be desired by luxurious vehicle.

side mirror camera, inscreen navigation, leather seats, adaptive cruise and a host of others.

Your choice should depend on whether you want a 4cylinder for fuel economy which the Lexus won't offer and depending on trim of each available to you

Accord EX-L and touring vs Lexus Ultra luxury package.

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (259) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.