Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,974 members, 7,806,833 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:58 AM

There Are Plans To Assasinate Me, One Of My Aides – Gov. Ortom - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Are Plans To Assasinate Me, One Of My Aides – Gov. Ortom (252 Views)

There Are Plans To Assassinate Lagos LP Candidate, Gbadebo: Bode George / Ortom: I Will Not Destroy PDP In Benue; Why Uba, My Aides Attended Atiku’s Rally / Fuel Scarcity, Naira Redesign Are Plans To Scuttle Elections – Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

There Are Plans To Assasinate Me, One Of My Aides – Gov. Ortom by theJournalng(m): 9:43pm On Aug 25, 2018
The Governor of Benue State, Dr Samuel Ortom, yesterday claimed his life and those of his security aides are being threatened.

Governor Ortom, while speaking at an interactive session between the church, traditional institution and other stakeholders on peaceful elections in 2019, said he got intelligence reports that his convoy would be attacked on his way to Abuja.

The Governor also disclosed that there were plans of would be attackers to abduct and torture one of his security aides before brutally killing him for daring to speak out against the invasion of communities in Benue State where massive killings were carried out.

According to him, he sometimes takes chartered flights to Abuja after receiving the assassination report. Noting that such flights have been stopped from landing at Markudi Airport.

Ortom said he was confident that God would show him a way out of the situation if he had to travel out of the state.

At the event, which was organised by the Makurdi Diocese of the Catholic Church and held at Pope John Paull II Pastoral Centre in Makurdi, the governor listed eradication of nationwide violence as well as arrest and prosecution of its perpetrators as the recipe for peaceful elections in 2019.

He expressed worries that individuals and groups known to have been involved in violent acts were not being punished even when they sponsor large scale violence involving destruction of property, arson and killing of about 20,000 people in 19 states of the federation.

Ortom said, “If those that perpetuate violence, like armed herdsmen, are arrested, prosecuted, jailed or appropriate sanctions are applied on them, it will serve as deterrence for those contemplating violence in the future.”

“Nigerians should use the 2019 elections to demand an end to the Fulani herdsmen’s aggravated violence.”

“The Federal Government must stem the tide of violence and address the root causes of threats to elections in some states.”

“Actors like the INEC, police, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), community-based organisations (CBOs), labour unions, religious and traditional leaders, social and mass media must not relent in promoting and advocating for peace and community values that would strengthen national unity,” he said.

He maintained that the main threat to peaceful election in 2019 is the incessant and devastating attacks by herdsmen in 14 states.

Governor Ortom, while quoting reports from the media, said between January and March 2018, at least 1,351 people were killed by herdsmen, Boko Haram and other forms of insurgencies.

Source: jornalng.com

https://journalng.com/2018/08/25/plans-assasinate-one-aides-gov-ortom/
Re: There Are Plans To Assasinate Me, One Of My Aides – Gov. Ortom by yemmybx(m): 11:49pm On Aug 25, 2018
God will help us

(1) (Reply)

Court Adjourns Barr Ken Ahia's Case Against Abia Breaking News / 2019: APC Accuses Gov. Wike Of Extorting From Students In Rivers To Fund Electio / Some Nigerians View On The Use Of PVC (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.