Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:47 PM

How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s (37874 Views)

Is Bola Tinubu Related To Efunroye Tinubu The Slave Trader? / Osu Abolishment: Igbo People Speak On Osu Caste System (video) / History 101: Oba Kosoko Of Lagos Was Against Abolition Of Slave Trade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by zolajpower: 11:14am On Aug 26, 2018
OneCorner:
Everyone keeps blaming whites for slavery.
But is it not blacks that were selling d slaves?
I tire my bros, after she had had a full of the ill- gotten.money from slave trade. May she enjoy her time in hell with her slave trading partners.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by Nobody: 11:14am On Aug 26, 2018
ednut1:
Lame attempt to twist history
Claims about Madam Tinubu's repentance from the Trans Atlantic Slave TradeEdit

Many publications (notably those that promote black history)[23][24] have asserted that Madam Tinubu became a changed person after learning about the evils of the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade.[25][26][27]

However, an often cited hagiography about Madam Tinubu by Oladipo Yemitan paints a different picture of an unapologetic and profit minded human trafficker.

On one occasion, during her final sojourn in Abeokuta, she was alleged to have sold a young boy into slavery and was accused of it. When arraigned before Ogundipe Alatise over the matter, she reportedly explained: 'I have a large house-hold and I must feed them well. I need money to do that, that's why'.

— Oladipo. Yemitan, 'Madame Tinubu: Merchant and King-maker'

[28]

These blocks of nos shows you pasted the write up.Always edit very well and give reference

1 Like

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by AngelicBeing: 11:14am On Aug 26, 2018
dominique:
But she did sell and own slaves didn't she? She ended Transatlantic slave trade but she still kept slaves according to the article
Gbam sad

2 Likes

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by waShine(m): 11:14am On Aug 26, 2018
Camera is 400 yrs plus

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by zolajpower: 11:15am On Aug 26, 2018
dominique:
But she did sell and own slaves didn't she? She ended Transatlantic slave trade but she still kept slaves according to the article

I tire my bros, after she had had a fill of the ill- gotten.money from slave trade. May she enjoy her time in hell with her slave trading partners.

1 Like

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by seguno2: 11:16am On Aug 26, 2018
Stallion93:
Read my post again, I said they didn't make much of the Slave trade numbers and history in general. They all did But when u talk about slavery today Only blacks come to mind because ours Fvkin lasted for 400 years.

Thanks for pointing out the emphasis.
Cheers
Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by AreaFada2: 11:17am On Aug 26, 2018
dominique:

Let them be hyping the lady. As if we didn't know the story better.
Lagos-Ibadan press history benders and twisters don start again. shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by ntyce(m): 11:17am On Aug 26, 2018
Such a powerful woman.
She was buried in Iberekodo, Abeokuta.
Her grave is always wet, where the water comes from, no one knows.
Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by musicwriter(m): 11:23am On Aug 26, 2018
seeforth1004:

You are very right my broda, in addition, the CONCEPT of being a slave is very different in the 2 climes. The concept of slavery in Yorubaland especially is very mild; subjugation with eventual liberation and societal integration; while in the European and Middle East/ Mediterranean, the concept of slavery is total dehumanisation, subjugation and cruelty.

Very correct!!.

I try to explain to people that the Europeans never came to trade slaves at first because there were no slaves to trade in Africa. The Europeans came to buy gold, cash crop, other raw materials. They never came here to buy slaves at first. Our first trade with Europeans were not slaves!!.

After some years of legitimate trade with our people, the Europeans simply exploited those practices that were already here, but which we did not call slavery. They began offering money for someone being reprimanded for a crime or a prisoner of war that would normally have been set free later. Eventually, it gradually became the dominant trade, and the original legitimate trade was forgotten!.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by HarryDuce(m): 11:32am On Aug 26, 2018
Stallion93:
grin Africans selling Same Africans, u can imagine. And some mofos will be hating on Innocent whites who cared enough to bring u civilization and still giving u Aids upon Aids All day everyday. This Thing called Black Man has a huge problem, keep sentiments apart and think about it.
You see. slavery was a global thing. Africans didn't sell each other because they were a different skin tone or because they didn't like the shape if their nose. For most part they( the slaves) and their offspring weren't subject to eternal subjugation. They could buy their freedom and assimilate with their new society. For instance, Igbo and the rivers riverine tribes. (I am not trying to justify slavery in anyway). What most people don't understand including yourself is that whites don't care about you or any black person. They never have. It's all about self interest and "saving face". you Don't be deceived.
Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by Demmzy15(m): 11:39am On Aug 26, 2018
musicwriter:

Very correct!!.

I try to explain to people that the Europeans never came to trade slaves at first because they were no slaves to trade in Africa. The Europeans came to buy gold, cash crop, other raw materials. They never came here to buy slaves at first. Our first trade with Europeans were not slaves!!.

After some years of legitimate trade with our people, the Europeans simply exploited those practices that were already here, but which we did not call slavery. They began offering money for someone being reprimanded for a crime or a prisoner of war that would normally have been set free later. Eventually, it gradually became the dominant trade, and the original legitimate trade was forgotten!.
You're wrong to some extent, the transatlantic slavery started with the Portuguese who came to Africa mainly for sugar. They forcefully recruited people from Africa for sugar farms in Africa, when the people revolted, they started transporting them to the Americas (Brazil). Other European powers followed suit
Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by waShine(m): 11:40am On Aug 26, 2018
slysteel:
Tell this shit to the marines,she has nothing to do with ending slave trade and that's exactly what she was known for,she was a slave merchant so why this silly attempt to paint an evil woman good

TINUBU bhave like her, u know character goes after name.
slysteel:
Tell this shit to the marines,she has nothing to do with ending slave trade and that's exactly what she was known for,she was a slave merchant so why this silly attempt to paint an evil woman good

TINUBU bhave like her, u know character goes after name.
slysteel:

TINUBU bhaves like her, u know character goes after name.

1 Like

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by musicwriter(m): 11:45am On Aug 26, 2018
Demmzy15:
You're wrong to some extent, the transatlantic slavery started with the Portuguese who came to Africa mainly for sugar. They forcefully recruited people from Africa for sugar farms in Africa, when the people revolted, they started transporting them to the Americas (Brazil). Other European powers followed suit

Either way, but as you can acknowledge, there was never an established slave trade system before the Europeans arrested. They created the trade.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by TEYA: 11:48am On Aug 26, 2018
[quote author=lawalosky post=70620350]H[/quote for house
Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by TEYA: 11:49am On Aug 26, 2018
dominique:
She did not move to end slavery because she hated it, she only decided to end it because of the suffering she learnt slaves went through on high sea.
Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by Nobody: 11:56am On Aug 26, 2018
Aslave owner but is bandied as a saviour,she even went to war to continue her brutal trade, yet that name a square after her,nigerians continue to amaze me tl

4 Likes

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by RuthlessLeader(m): 12:07pm On Aug 26, 2018
asokoromadam:

She is a slave seller ,
Why praise her
This generation is useless
Are you sure you have sense? Where did I praise her? I said she tried in her time, not that she was a good woman. So if you can't read well, shift.
Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by Rcrown: 12:08pm On Aug 26, 2018
flyca:
How is it that I find this “Tinubu” report manipulated grin

Okay, tomorrow “history” will tell us it again that this woman is Jagaban's grandmother. Awwww, kindness and tenderness runs in their family. Awwwww he's fit run for presidency in 2023.

Dear electorates, behold the preliminary “image-making” tongue
If you think jagaban is interested in presidency, then you don't know politics
Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by ajl: 12:13pm On Aug 26, 2018
I have always want to know the elites among our people who promoted and participated in slave trade. But you can hardly find information on this important history. We need to know the individuals and families who profited from selling their own people and whatever roles they played.

1 Like

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by ashjay001(m): 12:16pm On Aug 26, 2018
FisifunKododada:
My fellow Egba person. God bless her. Yorubas setting the pace for humanity since 3333 BC.

We've had written history, since time immemorial, yet, some yesterday born kids, go dey misyarn undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by Panther7(m): 12:16pm On Aug 26, 2018
kaen1317:
I am a Igbo but u can't help but admire the rich culture of our afonja brothers. Our aboki brothers are also good people. The people of Nigeria are good but it's the useless leaders we have that divide us
Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by Nobody: 12:17pm On Aug 26, 2018
I am just pissed up with this nonsense. This woman (Madam Tinubu sold many Yorubas to the French, Portuguese, English and the Americans during her time, she was evil and didn't end slave trade but wanted it to continue so that she can make more money. she, in fact, wanted to poison the General the British sent to end the slave trade in Lagos after cries from the British enlightenment group against the sales of humans in Lagos.

Lagos and Dahomey (Benin republic) were headquarters of the slave trade in West Africa. The African elites( chiefs, kings and merchants) of those time sold their people to slavery for a profit. Africans sold themselves into slavery like the elites are still doing till today, selling us into misery while they get rich.

The formidable Madame Tinubu, a major trader in slaves and other goods, who strongly opposed the British intervention at Lagos, was believed to be plotting to drive out the British and the Sierra Leonean repatriates and to revive the slave trade (slavery and the birth of an African by kristen mann)

the British task force who patrolled the Atlantic ended the slave trade, that led to the British navy bombardment of lagos in 1851 and the installation of king akintoye and later on dosumu who agreed to end slave trade in lagos, madam tinubu and other slave traders were angry and moved to badagry and the ikorodu slave market to continue their slave trading business.

If the British didn't stop slavery, Lagos will still be selling slaves till today.

MADAM TINUBU IS EVIL AND SHOULD NOT BE MENTION AT ALL. SHE SOLD MANY YORUBAS INTO SLAVERY. MANY YORUBAS ENDED IN FREE TOWN AND OTHER PART OF THE WORLD BECAUSE OF HER.

Pls read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_Treaty_of_Cession
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_Between_Great_Britain_and_Lagos,_1_January_1852
slavery and the birth of an african by kristen mann

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by XYZ123: 12:25pm On Aug 26, 2018
She tried
Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 26, 2018
See mama looking stern in the picture, lol. Her look says it all. She was really a no-nonsense woman in her time. I read deeply about her. She actually married a kanuri man called mohmodu bugara( from north eastern Nigeria) who happened to be her employee. The man later married another wife but still named the children the second wife had for him after Madam efunroye's father's name(tinubu). One of the children was the Saka Tinubu, the educated Islamic scholar who prominent in the ahmadiyya movement in Nigeria in 1900s. Now I can understand why sen Bola Tinubu is so close to the north.
Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by bidexolumanish(m): 12:29pm On Aug 26, 2018
sKeetz:
Yoruba Amaka
Yoruba Amaka ko ,Yoruba Chukwudi ni
Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 12:40pm On Aug 26, 2018
Efunroye Tinubu was a traitor just like Seriki Abass Williams. She doesn't deserve the status they gave her because, she was involved in slave trade.
https://face2faceafrica.com/article/name-shame-africans-played-active-role-slave-trade

2 Likes

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by Beremx(f): 1:07pm On Aug 26, 2018
Wicked woman!! See her stern face.

But all those people who were turned up to be slaves, were they kidnapped to be slaves?

3 Likes

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by Born2Breed(f): 1:08pm On Aug 26, 2018
There was nothing good about Madam Tinubu. Celebrating her is ridiculous, she traded on humans( her people) and later arms to kill her people(during the yoruba civil war).

4 Likes

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by ajl: 1:08pm On Aug 26, 2018
There are currently many court suits that involves the Administrators of the Estate of Madam Tinubu who are "fighting" tooth and nail to recover a lot of land in Lagos. Obviously these lands are part of proceeds of slavery.

These are example of elites like in present day that continue to profit from the misery of the common man. They are mostly found among the political class

1 Like

Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by Pat081: 1:09pm On Aug 26, 2018
Wen is dat boy dat is talking about Afonja women?dat dey use to fear ,
Re: How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s by ajl: 1:18pm On Aug 26, 2018
awelekiti:
See mama looking stern in the picture, lol. Her look says it all. She was really a no-nonsense woman in her time. I read deeply about her. She actually married a kanuri man called mohmodu bugara( from north eastern Nigeria) who happened to be her employee. The man later married another wife but still named the children the second wife had for him after Madam efunroye's father's name(tinubu). One of the children was the Saka Tinubu, the educated Islamic scholar who prominent in the ahmadiyya movement in Nigeria in 1900s. Now I can understand why sen Bola Tinubu is so close to the north.

Please don't confuse Bola Tinubu's name with that of Madam Tinubu. They are not related. Bola Tinubu is simply a name dropper thats originally from Osun State.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price / Ife Chiefs Announce Ooni’s Death Formally (photo) / The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.