Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,702 members, 7,805,888 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

What Are The Chanllenges Facing Nigerian Authors / Up Coming Authors And The Sol - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Are The Chanllenges Facing Nigerian Authors / Up Coming Authors And The Sol (6128 Views)

Introducing Association Of Nigerian Christian Authors And Publishers / How Does One Become A Member Of The Association Of Nigerian Authors? / Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Chanllenges Facing Nigerian Authors / Up Coming Authors And The Sol by banom(m): 5:45pm On Jun 27, 2010
Hello house good day every one, how are you healing your own Super eagles wound ? i hope you are recovering quick and fine,

Please i would like like to know the challenges facing Nigerian authors, up coming ones and a solution you suggest,

God bless.
Re: What Are The Chanllenges Facing Nigerian Authors / Up Coming Authors And The Sol by MyneWhite1(f): 6:51pm On Jun 28, 2010
Read this article,

Reading culture not dead but poor in Nigeria -MD, Evans Publishing company

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/features/2907-reading-culture-not-dead-but-poor-in-nigeria-md-evans-publishing-company

Mr Gbenro Adegbola, MD, Evans Publishing company, in this interview with Associate Editor (Features), Femi Olukunle, believes that the harsh economic environment cannot kill the publishing industry.

What has been your experience in piloting the affairs of Evans Publishing company?
It has been both challenging and fulfilling; challenging in the sense that, in the book industry in Nigeria, the early turn of the millennium was just emerging from a long period of depression occasioned by many years of neglect of education and strikes in the school system. There was a particular year, I think 1995 or so, when schools were hardly opened at all.

So, all that was bad for business, but since about 2000, 2001, the industry has gradually emerged from that period and it has been fulfilling because, as I have observed, our strategies are working; our plans are being achieved. So it is both a combination of challenges and fulfillment.

I believe that among the challenges confronting you is piracy. In these days that students don’t buy books and some people illegally reproduce your works, how do you cope?
Piracy is a huge problem that faces the industry. Photocopying by students is the least of our problems. When we talk of piracy, we are talking of wholesale reproduction by way of printing of our books by a few young boys who are traders. They contribute some money and go to South-East Asia to bring in these books in large quantities, and because of the advancement in technology, it is almost difficult, if not impossible, to know the original from pirated copies. It has assumed a very dangerous dimension. Under the auspices of the Nigerian Publishers Association, in collaboration with the Nigerian Copyright Commission, we are trying to tackle this, but it would have been better if we were able to tackle it at the point of entry into the country. Unfortunately, that has proved difficult so far. We are now establishing contact with the Nigeria Customs Service, even the Nigerian Standard Organisation had also been of help in the past.

All the law enforcement agencies in and around the ports are being contacted to help stop the influx of these books into the country because the danger is that piracy will become a disincentive to authors such that they may stop writing, and that will be a disaster for the educational system.

In spite of the attacks, we shall continue to battle on; we cannot give up. We shall continue to wage war against them while trying to expand our distribution network and improve on the efficiency within the network.

It is said that Nigerian students prefer watching movies on television to reading, and this is killing reading culture. How do you react to this?
Reading culture is not dying but it is slightly poor in Nigeria. Television, internet and computer are only alternative media of transforming information and knowledge. They can never or neither do they intend to replace the book.

It now depends on the individual to allocate time to the various media transmitting knowledge. You in the media also know that reading culture is relatively poor in Nigeria compared to a place like Japan, where an average newspaper sells two to three million copies daily, because their literacy level is close to 90 per cent. I think the problem that confronts the people is the dwindling buying power of the average individual. Over the past few years, people’s incomes have shrunk; I think that is the problem and reading is a pastime that flourishes in a progressive economy.

Since people’s income has been noted to be shrinking, it will surely have an effect on the publishing industry too. How do you break even?
The problem does not affect the publishing industry alone, it affects the entire economy; we just continue to battle for our own share of the meagre purchasing power of the average individual. Of course, in the individual’s hierarchy of needs, food is primary; housing and clothing are in secondary position, followed by other things like books.

It has surely not been easy but in a country like Nigeria, we have the advantage of the buying power of the elite class that manages to sustain the industry.

How do you cope with the rivalry among the publishing houses?
The relationship between us is very healthy because it is a fairly small industry. We come across one another and we always cooperate at various levels. I mentioned earlier on, the anti-piracy efforts of the publishing association which is one of the areas we cooperate with one another. The relationship and competition are very interesting, and you know, competition itself is the very nature of business and enterprise. Where there is no competition you have the monopoly and that is not healthy.

How do your shareholders react to the instability in the economy which affects every industry including yours?
Basically, the publishing industry is a peculiar industry and anyone who invests in it knows that, really and truly, he is not in it for the money as such. I am not saying that they are not going to make money, but they are not really in for the money. If they were after money, they would have invested in the oil industry or the financial sector. These people are those who have passion for knowledge and education, so they have a good understanding of the situation in the country, but this is not to say that we have not been delivering profits to them by the end of the year. I can confidently say that our shareholders are happy with what we are doing here.

Let’s talk about infrastructure challenges. How have these been affecting your operations?
We are not existing in isolation. We exist within the larger economy and I find it boring to be complaining about infrastructural challenges. We have spoken ad infinitum about power problem, piracy and the rest of them, and I hate complaining about these things. What I like is finding a way to circumvent them because I cannot go to the shareholders meeting at the end of the year to tell them that PHCN is poor. Am I the only one the PHCN is bothering? So, I don’t like harping on these problems.

However, having talked about infrastructural problems, the peculiar problem facing the publishing industry is the lack of a credible distribution network within the country. We are combining the work of two to three links within the book distribution chain. We are publishers, almost book sellers, and suppliers to institutions and government. Part of our plans for the future is to work out some kind of alternative distribution framework which will have greater efficiency.

Given the tight official schedule you have, how do you recreate?
It is important that one establishes a balance between work and personal life. I must confess, that is one area that I have not done too well, because outside of work, there is very little that I do. I have decided to pick up on my golfing, which I have left rusty for the past three or four years. Of course, one is not getting younger; one needs to be a little more active physically. But I wish to say that I read a lot. I can say the nature of my pastime has to do with my job.
Re: What Are The Chanllenges Facing Nigerian Authors / Up Coming Authors And The Sol by banom(m): 10:33am On Jul 08, 2010
Good, thanks
Re: What Are The Chanllenges Facing Nigerian Authors / Up Coming Authors And The Sol by Agibecky: 5:58pm On Jul 08, 2010
Majority of the people in Nigeria are intellectual illiterates.
They prefer to spend millions of naira weekly making useless calls and sending useless text messages.
As you can see, their lives do not improve and they have very low appreciation of the values of life.
Most of them behave and live like sub-humans with shallow dreams.
They mistake the acquisition of cars, luxury apartments, gadgets and other perishable status symbols as their achievements. But such things do not add much to nation building.

Literary appreciation helps humans to appreciate the values and virtues of life as we have seen in the developed countries where we have best selling authors with millions of the copies of their books sold to readers. That is why our most accomplished authors are in the developed countries.
Re: What Are The Chanllenges Facing Nigerian Authors / Up Coming Authors And The Sol by MyneWhite1(f): 3:38am On Jul 10, 2010
Agibecky:

Majority of the people in Nigeria are intellectual illiterates.
They prefer to spend millions of naira weekly making useless calls and sending useless text messages.
As you can see, their lives do not improve and they have very low appreciation of the values of life.
Most of them behave and live like sub-humans with shallow dreams.
They mistake the acquisition of cars, luxury apartments, gadgets and other perishable status symbols as their achievements. But such things do not add much to nation building.

Literary appreciation helps humans to appreciate the values and virtues of life as we have seen in the developed countries where we have best selling authors with millions of the copies of their books sold to readers. That is why our most accomplished authors are in the developed countries.

I completely agree, except with the first bit. I don't think we're intellectually poor, it's just that a new mindset is needed. I also believe the change is coming now.

Thanks for informing me of the review in The Sun
Re: What Are The Chanllenges Facing Nigerian Authors / Up Coming Authors And The Sol by Manicle: 12:45pm On Jan 31, 2020
Awesome
Re: What Are The Chanllenges Facing Nigerian Authors / Up Coming Authors And The Sol by Manicle: 7:47pm On Feb 06, 2020
Source: Manicle
https://manicle..com/2020/02/challenges-of-authorsupcoming-writers.html?m=1

Challenges of authors and upcoming writers in Nigeria and how to overcome them: 12 tips

Take it or leave it, Nigeria is one of the most blessed countries of the world when it comes to writing. Not only are we many, but also, some of us have gone ahead to win international awards in writing. Even Nigerians in diaspora are not left out. Today, we have famous Nigerian writers like Wole Soyinka, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Ben Okri, Lola Shoneyin, J P Clark, Biyi Bandele, Niyi Osundare, Elnathan John, etc, and yet, I'm sure some might not even know all of these guys I mentioned.

But there are new writers, some of which have written several books, yet to be published. We have younger generations whose story might have as much flavor, if not more, as the ones that are popular. Some of them die without their books ever seeing the rising sun. Some switch from the writing profession to other things to make ends meet. Personally, I have over 5 books some of which are as old as 10years, yet to be published.

The question remains why? Let's look at the challenges writers in Nigeria face, and be practical about the solution.

Challenges faced by authors and upcoming writers in Nigeria
1 Acceptance of the manuscript by the publisher
Recently a friend of mine who is a writer told me about someone who has been submitting his manuscript to traditional publishers for the past 5years, and had been continually either rejected or ignored. This has been a normal experience for most upcoming writers. It has as a result frustrated a lot of writers; some had given up their career as a result.

On the other hand, not all manuscripts can be accepted by publishers. Reason is, in a situation where the whole process of editing, publishing, distributing and marketing of the book is the full responsibility of the publisher, the publisher is often careful to see the potential in making profit from the book before accepting to publish it.

This does not necessarily mean most manuscripts are not good enough. In fact, in my opinion, the most incredible fiction and non-fiction is buried somewhere on the shelf or in a computer. It is yet to find acceptance because the writer is not ready to let 'marketability' control his story or determine the direction of his writing.

This is why apart from the bible and the Qur'an, no religious book has easily found much acceptance by a publisher because such kinds of books are hardly written to please people. Most of them are instructive, regardless of the reader's opinion. Therefore many writers' manuscripts struggle in vain to find acceptance by publishers.
2. Most Nigerian writers lack fund for publishing
Those whose manuscripts get accepted by a publisher enjoy the freedom of not paying a dime for their book to be published, and marketed throughout and outside the country. Also they get to have a free press conference and are invited on TV to talk about their new book. This is why it is a hot cake for your manuscript to be accepted by a publishing house.

However so long it is not accepted by traditional publishers, the book is either lost in the dust and cobwebs of the shelf or is self-published. To self publish is not as hard as you think. To get funds for it is the major challenge. Not many have the financial capacity to fund the publishing and the marketing of the books. This as a result discourage many gifted and skilled writers.

But is it really the writer's fault that he or she lacks financial capacity to finance the publishing of his book? Writers, especially at the early stage don't make much from writing. Most writers, permit me to say, are broke. You can argue that, but just before you do, name five writers around you that own a fine house, a good car, are living well, and are financially confident.

3. Decline in the rate of reading books
In the past few years, there has been a decline in the fiction reading rate. Yes people still read, but fewer and fewer people visit the bookstore to get a copy of a book. Some of the reasons responsible for this decline include the emergence of the Internet, computers, Mobile Phones, and social media. Compared to watching your favorite web-series on the phone and playing games, reading is seen as not much of a fun.

There are more options of entertainment available to not just youths but to everyone. So, there is difficulty in selection. Reading never comes in the list in such a scenario. In older times, there were limited options of entertainment. Library had more reputation. Many would rather be interested in product made out of books like films, web series.

In Ashish Pandit's words, A few generations back when only radio and black & white TV's were there, when you couldn't watch the movie version of a book at the click of a button, books were actually a form of entertainment. Today even leaving aside streaming TV channels, there's so much multimedia on your phone that it keeps you hooked. Whether it is the whatsapp/YouTube videos, Instagram pictures or whatnot you are never short of things to watch.

This summarizes part of the challenges of writers especially in this age. All thanks to tech.
4 Piracy of books
This often applies more to writers whose books have been successful in the market. Some pirates get hold of the book and produce pirated copies of the book. Mr Gbenro Adegbola, MD, Evans Publishing company, in an interview with Associate Editor (Features), Femi Olukunle, explains piracy as a challenge facing authors.

Wholesale reproduction through book printing of by traders is a problem. After importing the books from South-East Asia, with the help of technology, it becomes difficult, if not impossible, to know the original from pirated copies. He added that All the law enforcement agencies are working to stop the influx of these books into the country because the danger is that piracy will become a disincentive to authors such that they may stop writing, and that will be a disaster for the educational system.

5 Preference of foreign books to local books
There is a serious preference of foreign books to local books, especially in Nigeria. As a student of literature in the Obafemi Awolowo University, we studied different books by different authors, most of which are foreign. While in secondary school syllabus we have African and non African texts by renowned authors, Shakespeare remained dominant in our text.

Others see it from the angle of the richness of literature in it, but it is safe to also view it as a preference of foreign authors to local authors. Who says African or Nigerian authors have not written books that are as fine as, if not finer than, some of the foreign books being read around?

Today some of the most bought books in Nigeria, especially by youths are romantic/adventurous/investigative novels. And most of these books are authored by foreign writers. These and many more contribute to the problems faced by Nigerian authors as their books are second in the scale of preference of their readers.

How to overcome the writing challenges
1 Set a writing goal
This is especially for a writer who wants to write a book with the aim of publishing it within a specific period of time. You can actually start a book, finish it and get it published within 6months. Personally I have helped a couple of people achieve that in the past.

I asked them the number of words they want to write. 60,000, they say. We then split the words into three months. Each month covers 20,000 words, which also means each week covers 5,000 words, and each day 800 to 1000 words. By the end of the three months, their first writing is done.

I send the manuscript to an editor who would edit and give them back to work on it and return to him for a second reading until the book is good to go. I process the book for publishing and create a plan and strategy on how to effectively market the book. All these are done within the budget of the writers.

If you are ever in the same situation, then I strongly recommend this method. Of course you can reach me via my mail, phone contact or WhatsApp contact +23437884995, and we will get started right away.

2 Self publish your book
Truth is, take it or leave it, self publishing is taking over the market from traditional publishing. With the presence of the internet, selling your book is much easier. Now, a good content with a good editor will produce a fine book that will make its way to fame. An eBook does not require much fund compared to a hard copy book. In the same way, self publishing, if well strategized, will cost way lesser than traditional publishing.

3 eMarket your (self) published books
One of the major things publishers capitalize on is their marketing strength, their connections with book stores within and outside Nigeria. When publishers accept your book, they ensure it reaches every bookshop in Nigeria such that it is not lacking in any part of the country.

They also organize a press conference and a TV interview where you discuss your book, questions are asked concerning the book and you give them first hand answer as the author of the book.

With the internet, you now have as much upper hand as they do. When you publish and sell your book online, not only will your book reach every part of Nigeria, it will also reach every part of rge world. Secondly, people won't need to enter a book store before they can get it. They can get in anywhere they want - even in the toilet. They are just a few clicks away from the book.

Not only that, your book will be easily located by your specific audience instead of the general market. For instance, if the book is targeted at teens, it won't have to pass through the eyes of people of all age before it is selected by it's specific target audience.

4 Create an audio version of your book(s)
Yes, do audio books. You must understand that with the reduction in the attention span of people, audio book system is one of the ways to extend and expand consumption of your book. It is beneficial for CEOs who have a target of reading a book per week but don't have the leisure of time to sit down and read for hours. Some would prefer to listen to it in their car when going to work, when returning from work or when busy or on a break session.

In a busy place like Lagos in Nigeria where traffic is the order of the day, one could finish a book within a week by merely listening to the audio book on one's way to work and back from work. I can provide you with a voice artist who will do a great job making an audio version of your book. You'd be amazed at how the words in your book will come alive in the audio version.

It will shock you that people who have eye problems may benefit from your audio book more than you can ever imagine. Now, you might feel like I am a writer not a voice artist or a filmmaker. I want my book to be read not listened to or watched. True. And I feel your pain.

Personally, I know there are certain benefits you gain from reading that you might not get from viewing or listening, such as the ability to exercise your imaginative mind, and improve your language skills. But as unique as reading is, one thing is constant: the essence of the book is to pass across a certain message and experience, regardless of whatever form in which it comes.

5. Explore social media gainfully
With the decline in reading, writers should continually look for means to engage people reading using creative means. Here are some tips I'll suggest:
Use catchy excerpts from the book to create nice graphics that you can fly on all your social media platforms. Apart from the excerpt, the graphics will have your name and the name of your book, eg, - excerpt from Chinua Achebe's 'Things fall apart'.
Do a motion graphics of specific events in the book. One could be a 1minute video, which can be used on Instagram and WhatsApp status, another could he as long as more than one minute. If it is a motivational book, you could do a motion graphics for a sub-topic/sub-chapter or a whole chapter. If it is a novel, you could do a chapter of a book. Don't forget people are more inclined to what they see (pictures and motion pictures) than text and audio.
Look for pictures that portray the part of the book you want to discuss, then attach it with a Facebook length-like or LinkedIn length-like text to tell your story, or explain your book in bits. You can make it a series. This is one way to get people to finish a chapter in two days, and a book in 2weeks. So long it is stunning, captivating and on screen, people will consume it.

Truth is, people still read, but they read more on their phone than off it. For instance you can't WhatsApp if you are not reading or writing. If people's attention has been shifted from book to the internet, then it's high time writers shift their writing from paper to the internet too.

Smart people who recognize opportunities would make use of it to keep readers reading. And if you feel you don't know how to go about this, or you are not good at doing any of those things, then you can contact me for help on +2348137884995.

6 Organize for book review
There are ways to go about reviewing your book. Get friends who are writers and thinkers to review the book. You will get the review published on different blogs. This further extends the advertisement of the book. Also, you can collaborate with a school owner to get your book sold to the school student where they are mandated to buy the book and to do a summary on it.

You could actually organize a book review too where you invite people who have read your book to come and talk about the book and how it affects society. It's one big marketing strategy.

Another powerful means of overcoming the challenges of selling your book as an author or an author to be is to have your book reviewed by key persons in the society. Recently I was to read Phil Knight's Shoe Dog and I almost preferred other books to it, but seeing Bill Gates' and Warren Buffet's comment about the book on the book's front cover, I was curious to read it. I just wanted to know what makes the book so great that these two individuals that I respect a lot in the business industry commented on it.

Just imagine your next book is being reviewed or foreworded by one or two of the following, Wole Soyinka, Christiano Ronaldo, Usain Bolt, Beyonce, Chimamanda Adichie, David Oyedepo, or any of the public figures you know that pulls crowd. Never underestimate the comment, foreword, or review of a key person in your book. Never.

7 Get a ghostwriter
Now, if you believe you have a certain story, idea, message, or information in your heart and you feel it is worth sharing with the world, but you don't have a writing skill, then you can turn to a ghostwriter. Here is what a ghostwriter does: he listens to you in detail for a long period of time as you empty yourself explaining your idea to him. He then uses his creative writing skills to interpret your idea in words and trap them in letters.

At the end of the writing, when the book is ready, it will be published in your name. The ghostwriter is compensated with a pay based on your agreement of the price. And for that reason does not in anyway takes any glory, neither is he permitted to reveal that he is the original writer of the book (unless you wish to let your audience know, which is rare in most cases).

This is very common especially among people who wish to do an autobiography or to write on a certain topic or genre but either don't have the time to dedicate to writing, or don't have the skill. Everyone may write, but it doesn't make everyone a writer. One who writes may know what to write, but a writer knows how to write. This is why a skillful writer is needed if a book must be great.

Howbeit, it is almost impossible for you to be able to do all these (set writing goal, write or ghostwrite, design book cover, publish the book, eMarket the book, advertise it on social media,, create a motion graphics video, design graphics for excerpts of the book, do a voice over for the book, etc) by yourself and do it excellently.

Having worked with people from the start to finish of each of their books, and helped them sell thousands of copies, hard and soft, in Nigeria and all over the world, I believe I can help you with your writing career too. You can always contact me via my email, call/WhatsApp me on +2347080225737. Okay, don't be surprised if you receive instant reply, no matter the time you contact me. I hardly sleep, as I am always working. Even during fun time. My bad.

Conclusion
Okay if you have any contribution or question regarding anything, kindly ask in the comment box below. I will gladly answer. And if it is personal, you can chat me up too. Do let me know if the article helped you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Eagles, Hawks And Vultures: A Violent Affair / The Church - A Novel / I'm Looking For Book Stores In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.