Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,855 members, 7,806,418 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed (12743 Views)

We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN / Obi Promises 20,000MW Power Supply / Electricity: TCN Commissions First Offshore Substation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by oluwasegun007(m): 9:43am On Aug 28, 2018
huuurrrr...

no be naija we dey...
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by Greenback: 9:44am On Aug 28, 2018
They yaff secured election money,shikena

2 Likes

Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by JacksonOyibo: 9:44am On Aug 28, 2018
smiley
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by Dollabiz: 9:49am On Aug 28, 2018
We have to see a prove
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by alex81(m): 9:56am On Aug 28, 2018
wickyyolo:

I dunno which bush u live in. But the problem with power is not power generation but distribution. Know this now
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by Obidikejr(m): 9:57am On Aug 28, 2018
Butterflyleo:

I am very proud to be one.

This is a well thought out process and the target of 2021 seems good enough.

We will get it right and I believe this is the time.
Lol.. So gullible

1 Like

Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by seyirock(m): 10:02am On Aug 28, 2018
With that plenty money una no fit give IT student kobo...
Too bad.
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by seguno2: 10:02am On Aug 28, 2018
EmekaMD:
2019 campaign has already started..

"Any serious government should be able to provide 24hrs electricity in less than 6months"

It's 3yrs already and all we still hear from the rocket scientist is still paper works..

Should we begin to stone you people already?

Let us wait for next year to stone them with our PVCs.
I hope that you have yours ready.
What of your family and friends? Do they also have their own PVCs
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by seguno2: 10:04am On Aug 28, 2018
edo3:
This man u no dey sleep? Na every thread u dey..Why?

BMC tinz.
If you know you know wink
They are working overtime to revive the lifeless ghost of Aso Rock.

1 Like

Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by Boyooosa(m): 10:05am On Aug 28, 2018
Where is phcn sef?
I don't know may be it was intentional, for the govt to dabaru everything so as for common citizen not to understand the simple logic of power suplly. All these discos and texcoat should just form one team under one umbrella while they deliver to us with uninterrupted electricity supply. Then, we will be able to say power sector is working.
At least, we don't use to hear all these tcn, gencos in the telecom sector and still, I could use data to contribute on nl, even though my phone is directly fixed to gen right now cos of no light.
Abeg, make dem fuse all these discos and clubs into one comprehendible entity and give us result jereh.
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by seguno2: 10:08am On Aug 28, 2018
Shawnnn01:
Thank you Emeka, the more reason why it is baffling PDP could not give us light in 16 years.
Imagine what should take just 6 months and a particular govt could not provide it for 16 good years. May it never be well with those that want us back in the Egypt of stealing is not corruption.

The corruption under Buhari is worse and happening at the revenue source- NNPC in a massive way.

happney65:
N50bn 'Disappeared', N4trn Unremitted By NNPC... Inside The Damning 2016 Audit Of FG's Books

"Investigation by the audit firm revealed that N50 million loan was written off the books of National Poverty Eradication Programme (NAPEP), Federal Ministry of Agriculture and to some Federal Government staff, without proper disclosure in the financial statement. Similarly, some collecting agencies in NNPC and DPR did not remit any revenue into the Federation revenue account for some months, neither was any explanation given why those months recorded no revenue.

http://saharareporters.com/2018/08/27/n50bn-disappeared-n4trn-unremitted-nnpc-inside-damning-2016-audit-fgs-books

Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by Nobody: 10:14am On Aug 28, 2018
Elukapendragon:
Anyone still proud of bein a Nigerian? undecided

I am so proud with my shoulders high
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by HomeOfMe(f): 10:21am On Aug 28, 2018
JosEast:
Mr Usman Gur Mohammed is the Managing Director of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) and also Chairman, West African Power Pool’s (WAPP) Executive Board. In this interview, he explains how the public utility will utilise a $1.57bn (about N567.3 billion) multilateral funding to raise grid capacity to 20,000MW in four years.

You have been at TCN for over one year. Are there plans to expand the grid soon?

The first motivation for me to come to serve Nigeria is because of the president. The president was my governor in Borno State when I was in primary school and we know what he represents. We have always been learning from his qualities. So I am one of the Buhari students for leadership training.

When we came in February 2017, we inherited a TCN that was managed by Manitoba Hydro International (MHI) which has handled it for four years and Nigeria paid over $23 million for the three years it managed TCN. For one year, it means they had to pay one third of the money. But MHI mismanaged TCN to the extent that the company was at the point of total collapse.

We established the Transmission Rehabilitation and Expansion Programme (TREP). That programme contained four things that will stabilise and make the grid a modern one. The first is about achieving frequency control. Since June 2017, we have achieved frequency control of 49.5 Hertz (Hz) and 50.5Hz. This has not been achieved in the history of Nigeria; in the last 20.

The second is spinning reserve. The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) approved a competitive procurement of spinning reserve and we have advertised the procurement of 300 megawatts (MW) of spinning reserve. The ultimate should be 450MW; when we get 300MW, we will now increase it by another 150MW.

What are the other strategies for improved transmission?

The next thing is functional Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA). Nigeria has failed attempts to have a functional SCADA three times. The last one was between 2006 and 2007, I was in the Project Management Unit (PMU) of TCN when the World Bank financed it and Nigeria spent about $46 million. But the SCADA that was completed had significant deficiencies that it cannot see more than 40 per cent of the network. As part of this programme, we established a review committee and held a conference in Abuja. The finding showed that we cannot start the procurement of the SCADA until we fix our communication backbone.

We also need to have critical investments in lines and substations and put N-1 which means having extra capacity to take in emergency. We have raised enough money ($1.57bn - N567.3 billion) to expand the grid to 20,000MW by 2021. We have also gotten programmes to enable us attract the best companies that will implement our projects. We are on track and TCN staff are highly motivated to do this job.

TCN has commissioned 29 transformers in about 16 months. How was this achieved?

We have raised $1.57bn from donors but that money is not flexible as it cannot finance a contract that somebody has awarded in the past. We looked at what we can do differently and we discovered that many contracts can be done by TCN engineers. The best and hardworking staff in Nigeria are in TCN. There are still some bad eggs spoilt by Manitoba Hydro, but majority are good engineers.

You have attracted the highest funding to TCN. Is it because you work with AfDB?

It is not because I am from African Development Bank (AfDB). My core area of competence is in contract management and I have been doing that before I went to AfDB. I have worked in the power sector for over 17 years and I was part of the reforms and the initiatives in the sector.

The only option is the multilateral donor funding; it is an area I know very well and the Federal Ministry of Finance was key to this funding sources and gave me all the cooperation I needed.

But before the donors could give money, they need to see the level of transparency at TCN. For the years that Manitoba Hydro spent, there was no audit of TCN - since 2012 when it was created. We worked hard to deliver the audit and there was about three days that I slept in the office to achieve this and we delivered 2012 to 2016 audit; the donors became comfortable with us after that.

Before we came, this place was just a farm. We had about 800 containers stranded but as at last week, we have recovered 696 containers and taken them to the sites where the projects were stalled.

TCN is managing a N72 billion fund to improve some distribution networks. Did TCN consult the DisCos before implementing that?

It is not the DisCos that say they don’t know about it. It is their association and we don’t deal with them because we have no agreement with them. The investment is an intervention by the Federal Government because of the failure of the DisCos to perform which is creating problems in the system. Government has 40 per cent share in the DisCos and the modality for repayment, whether as loans of shares for government, has not been concluded. But N72bn is small money compared with the investment needs of the DisCos.

When we did the investment requirement for TREP, we simulated that of the DisCos to be able to pick more load and they require over $4 billion investment for their injection substations.

However, we are working with all the DisCos where the project is situated because they know their networks.

Some energised TCN transformers are not serving consumers because the DisCos haven’t connected to them. Is that true?

The DisCos, like TCN, should reduce their excess cost and mismanagement and put the money in investment. There are some DisCos that have not installed their transformers under the NEGIP World Bank programme that started before the privatisation. Only about two transformers under TCN are undergoing installation, but that of the DisCos, none has been installed after the privatisation. Go to Niger Republic and see their networks, we give them 90 per cent of their electricity; what of Benin Republic and Togo where we give 80 per cent electricity, but they have stable electricity supply.

Some GenCos are benefitting from the eligible customer policy. Has TCN keyed into this policy?

Some DisCos are kicking against the eligible customer policy but in 2015 when NERC transferred the 132KV and 33KV customers from TCN to the DisCos, they did not complain because they were happy. From the Electric Power Sector Reform Act 2005 (EPSRA), a DisCo is any network other than 330/132KV network; hence that transfer was illegal but because it favoured them, they were happy.

Our Transmission Use of System (TUOS) is with Mainstream Energy, concessionaire of Kainji and Jebba GenCos who are supplying to five eligible customers. The customers posted Letters of Credit (LC) for three months’ payment in favour of Mainstream and the GenCo posts an LC in our favour to guarantee 100 per cent payment. This agreement has ‘Liquidated Damage’ such that if TCN fails to perform, we have penalty to pay, the same with the GenCo.

The DisCos can also be part of this because some eligible customers will pass through DisCos’ networks, and pay DUOS charges to the DisCo. The policy also provides for Competitive Transition Charge (CTC) to be paid to the DisCos for any revenue loss. What we need from the DisCos is cooperation because there is a win-win situation in this case.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/we-ve-secured-n567bn-to-deliver-20-000mw-electricity-tcn-boss-mohammed-267795.html
All these won't make sense if 85% Nigerians are not provided with prepaid meters which will prevent them from paying for electricity not consumed. Why has providing these meters become a very tall order for the govt and NERC?

2 Likes

Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by Nobody: 10:21am On Aug 28, 2018
post=70672907:
God bless you too. Thanks for caring so much about our sleeping pattern. A plate of barbecue for you! wink
Need barbecue 4 an upcoming event. Mind dropping ur email?
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by Realname: 10:26am On Aug 28, 2018
post=70672868:
GIVE US THE POWER, tho it's very much better than few years past, but let's ask for more as Oliver .....!

God bless our PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI
And Minister Of Power Fashola.

Talkative always talking off point

Never following the topic

Just talks so you can collect 30k at the end of the month for posting for buhari grin

2 Likes

Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by Nobody: 10:30am On Aug 28, 2018
The only people that i pity is the ignorant masses that can be fooled by any word that comes out from the mouth of these politicians.

To generate 20000 MW, you need nothing less than 15 trillion naira.
I repeat nothing less than that
To generate such amount of energy in this country due to corruption will cost about 25-30 trillion naira.

Lets not vote pdp and apc again, to stand a chance of a better future.
Our power is only 2019 pool and they will do all it will cost to buy our vote
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by olajizz01(m): 10:31am On Aug 28, 2018
revolt:
all u liars. Barth nnaji was our best power minister n we actually for the 1st tym saw light. He was so correct the system of corrupt gen importers and Nepa officials fought him.
Barth nnaji under my foot,best power minister without light,continue deceiving yourself,
You see, right now,I'm enjoying 20/22hours light for my area,I swear to God.
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 28, 2018
JosEast:
Mr Usman Gur Mohammed is the Managing Director of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) and also Chairman, West African Power Pool’s (WAPP) Executive Board. In this interview, he explains how the public utility will utilise a $1.57bn (about N567.3 billion) multilateral funding to raise grid capacity to 20,000MW in four years.

You have been at TCN for over one year. Are there plans to expand the grid soon?

The first motivation for me to come to serve Nigeria is because of the president. The president was my governor in Borno State when I was in primary school and we know what he represents. We have always been learning from his qualities. So I am one of the Buhari students for leadership training.

When we came in February 2017, we inherited a TCN that was managed by Manitoba Hydro International (MHI) which has handled it for four years and Nigeria paid over $23 million for the three years it managed TCN. For one year, it means they had to pay one third of the money. But MHI mismanaged TCN to the extent that the company was at the point of total collapse.

We established the Transmission Rehabilitation and Expansion Programme (TREP). That programme contained four things that will stabilise and make the grid a modern one. The first is about achieving frequency control. Since June 2017, we have achieved frequency control of 49.5 Hertz (Hz) and 50.5Hz. This has not been achieved in the history of Nigeria; in the last 20.

The second is spinning reserve. The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) approved a competitive procurement of spinning reserve and we have advertised the procurement of 300 megawatts (MW) of spinning reserve. The ultimate should be 450MW; when we get 300MW, we will now increase it by another 150MW.

The next thing is functional Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA). Nigeria has failed attempts to have a functional SCADA three times. The last one was between 2006 and 2007, I was in the Project Management Unit (PMU) of TCN when the World Bank financed it and Nigeria spent about $46 million. But the SCADA that was completed had significant deficiencies that it cannot see more than 40 per cent of the network. As part of this programme, we established a review committee and held a conference in Abuja. The finding showed that we cannot start the procurement of the SCADA until we fix our communication backbone.

We also need to have critical investments in lines and substations and put N-1 which means having extra capacity to take in emergency. We have raised enough money ($1.57bn - N567.3 billion) to expand the grid to 20,000MW by 2021. We have also gotten programmes to enable us attract the best companies that will implement our projects. We are on track and TCN staff are highly motivated to do this job.

We have raised $1.57bn from donors but that money is not flexible as it cannot finance a contract that somebody has awarded in the past. We looked at what we can do differently and we discovered that many contracts can be done by TCN engineers. The best and hardworking staff in Nigeria are in TCN. There are still some bad eggs spoilt by Manitoba Hydro, but majority are good engineers.

You have attracted the highest funding to TCN. Is it because you work with AfDB?

It is not because I am from African Development Bank (AfDB). My core area of competence is in contract management and I have been doing that before I went to AfDB. I have worked in the power sector for over 17 years and I was part of the reforms and the initiatives in the sector.

The only option is the multilateral donor funding; it is an area I know very well and the Federal Ministry of Finance was key to this funding sources and gave me all the cooperation I needed.

But before the donors could give money, they need to see the level of transparency at TCN. For the years that Manitoba Hydro spent, there was no audit of TCN - since 2012 when it was created. We worked hard to deliver the audit and there was about three days that I slept in the office to achieve this and we delivered 2012 to 2016 audit; the donors became comfortable with us after that.

Before we came, this place was just a farm. We had about 800 containers stranded but as at last week, we have recovered 696 containers and taken them to the sites where the projects were stalled.

TCN is managing a N72 billion fund to improve some distribution networks. Did TCN consult the DisCos before implementing that?

It is not the DisCos that say they don’t know about it. It is their association and we don’t deal with them because we have no agreement with them. The investment is an intervention by the Federal Government because of the failure of the DisCos to perform which is creating problems in the system. Government has 40 per cent share in the DisCos and the modality for repayment, whether as loans of shares for government, has not been concluded. But N72bn is small money compared with the investment needs of the DisCos.

When we did the investment requirement for TREP, we simulated that of the DisCos to be able to pick more load and they require over $4 billion investment for their injection substations.

However, we are working with all the DisCos where the project is situated because they know their networks.

Some energised TCN transformers are not serving consumers because the DisCos haven’t connected to them. Is that true?

The DisCos, like TCN, should reduce their excess cost and mismanagement and put the money in investment. There are some DisCos that have not installed their transformers under the NEGIP World Bank programme that started before the privatisation. Only about two transformers under TCN are undergoing installation, but that of the DisCos, none has been installed after the privatisation. Go to Niger Republic and see their networks, we give them 90 per cent of their electricity; what of Benin Republic and Togo where we give 80 per cent electricity, but they have stable electricity supply.

Some GenCos are benefitting from the eligible customer policy. Has TCN keyed into this policy?

Some DisCos are kicking against the eligible customer policy but in 2015 when NERC transferred the 132KV and 33KV customers from TCN to the DisCos, they did not complain because they were happy. From the Electric Power Sector Reform Act 2005 (EPSRA), a DisCo is any network other than 330/132KV network; hence that transfer was illegal but because it favoured them, they were happy.

Our Transmission Use of System (TUOS) is with Mainstream Energy, concessionaire of Kainji and Jebba GenCos who are supplying to five eligible customers. The customers posted Letters of Credit (LC) for three months’ payment in favour of Mainstream and the GenCo posts an LC in our favour to guarantee 100 per cent payment. This agreement has ‘Liquidated Damage’ such that if TCN fails to perform, we have penalty to pay, the same with the GenCo.

The DisCos can also be part of this because some eligible customers will pass through DisCos’ networks, and pay DUOS charges to the DisCo. The policy also provides for Competitive Transition Charge (CTC) to be paid to the DisCos for any revenue loss. What we need from the DisCos is cooperation because there is a win-win situation in this case.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/we-ve-secured-n567bn-to-deliver-20-000mw-electricity-tcn-boss-mohammed-267795.html

Oga 1.5 billion dollars can only generate 3000MW in Nigeria, APC is just lying anyhow.

in 2014 APC promised 20,000MW by 2018.

in 2018 APC is still promising 20,000MW by 2022.

1 Like

Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by shedy03(m): 12:47pm On Aug 28, 2018
EmekaMD:
2019 campaign has already started..

"Any serious government should be able to provide 24hrs electricity in less than 6months"

It's 3yrs already and all we still hear from the rocket scientist is still paper works..

Should we begin to stone you people already?
Abeg don't remind us of these lifeless promises by a lifeless President.
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by predatorX: 1:46pm On Aug 28, 2018
when the head of TCN bears the name Mohammed, you know he's an APC card-carrying member, a protege of Lying Mohammed and a clan-member of the Daura brotherhood. Nothing good can come out of this 20,000MW, election is around the corner.

Buhari in 2015 had no money to buy nomination form but thieves around him especially Tinubu bought it for him.

Buhari never steals but permits everyone around him to steal, and later come and nominate him for re-election.

1 Like

Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by Bimpe29: 2:09pm On Aug 28, 2018
How fruitful would it be if the money is not embezzled and mismanaged?

1 Like

Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by Johnnyessence(m): 2:20pm On Aug 28, 2018
another election campaign lies again, has the electricity improve throughout buhari 3 years niiii.

1 Like

Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by Nobody: 2:38pm On Aug 28, 2018
Elukapendragon:
Anyone still proud of bein a Nigerian? undecided
Yes
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by RealityShot: 2:38pm On Aug 28, 2018
JosEast:

$1.57bn for 20000MW..is that possible? Abi another elephant paper project....

See here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=2s&v=yohRGeJ0TZM
2000MW plant at $2 billion.

Why is this one so cheap?

1 Like

Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by Nobody: 2:40pm On Aug 28, 2018
EmekaMD:
I agree.. may it not be better for all the people who have looted and are still looting our economy..

May it also not be better for he who clearly rules on proganda!!

We shall triumph together!!
Ami oo
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by BENITAPUSSY: 3:27pm On Aug 28, 2018
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by BENITAPUSSY: 3:29pm On Aug 28, 2018
BENITAPUSSY:
Some of this Disco's are criminals, especially AEDC.
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by deomelo: 3:43pm On Aug 28, 2018
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by Shawnnn01: 3:59pm On Aug 28, 2018
seguno2:

The corruption under Buhari is worse and happening at the revenue source- NNPC in a massive way.

Is that the Buhari that ordered the audit or was it PDP that ordered the audit ?
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by BlackSpanner: 4:04pm On Aug 28, 2018
Ayam not understanding.
Is it supposed to be 20,000 Watt or 20,000MW.
Do they really know the difference or this is just to wet the ground for 2019
Re: We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed by seguno2: 4:14pm On Aug 28, 2018
Shawnnn01:
Is that the Buhari that ordered the audit or was it PDP that ordered the audit ?

Did you see the link to the source?
If you didn’t, please let me know so I can repost it.
Cheers

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amaechi: Nigerians Who Damaged Public Property Must Be Punished / Gumi: Abducted Kagara Schoolchildren, Others May Regain Freedom Today / Uzodinma Commiserates With Families Of Those Killed By Unknown Gunmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.