Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,503 members, 7,781,531 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:22 PM

Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega (18546 Views)

Lalong Is Not Competent To Be VP, But Competent As Campaign DG / Prof Attahiru Jega: Governance Under Buhari Has Been Very Poor & Disappointing / Attahiru Jega Gets JAMB Appointment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by D1zion: 12:43pm On Aug 28, 2018
Useless fool. You know how you brought him there & how you know that he is lifeless that's why you open that your gutter to talking rubbish. Idiot.
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by Nobody: 12:45pm On Aug 28, 2018
Hmmmm!

I think Jega needs to define his terms properly. Who is a strong leader? And who is a competent leader?

If it is what I think he is saying, Jega is definitely not seeing the picture clearly.

The seat is called: The President of Nigeria, and the chief commander of the armed forces.

Competency = President who must make sure s(he) improves the standard of living of the citizen.

Chief commander of the armed forces = Strength. A strong leader who must defend the citizens.

Or has Jega forgotten that Boko Haram is around? What is the benefit of having an intelligent competent president who can turn around the economy, but cannot combat boko haram to a still, or cannot stand up and face those old greedy generals who we all know are after their selfish interests only.

I beg to differ on this. Every nation in this world needs a competent and a strong leader. Can Nigeria face nuclear power nations? Or why do we think America and those countries in G8 are called world power? Why are Iran and North Korean accumulating their own nuclear weapons?
These countries are building strong military bases for their nations.

Wetin this man dey talk sef?
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by Horus(m): 12:52pm On Aug 28, 2018
A good leader does not exhibit that he is a leader. He becomes one among everybody. He does not think he is better than everybody else. He just sees himself as part of the group. A sense of belongingness makes him interact with the ones he leads. Developing good human relationship skills is a necessary quality in a successful leader
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by waShine(m): 12:57pm On Aug 28, 2018
[color=#000099][/color]Tell Donald Trump this let him hear, because weakness of oldage does not mean incompetency otherwise, our old ones would have lost adage.
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by AfonjaSlaves(f): 1:05pm On Aug 28, 2018
the idiot you forced on us is he competent
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by OhiOfIhima: 1:21pm On Aug 28, 2018
Ekez:
But you help in giving us a lifeless president.

Simply did he jobs. So no pain
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by OhiOfIhima: 1:24pm On Aug 28, 2018
Sleekfingers:

How did he helped? Buhari won. And that slowpoke call Jonathan got kicked out.

But coming election. Buhari too will be kicked out. If any party can produce any credible and competent candidate.
Or else buhari will still be the president. And nothing anybody can do about that

Credible n competent.. For now no such English in PDP dictionary.. Dey only have gullible n selfish leaders.
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by NairaMaster1(m): 1:27pm On Aug 28, 2018
12Ebisco:
A former chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof Attahiru Jega, has mentioned that Nigeria needs competent leaders and not necessarily strong leaders.

According to Jega, an incompetent leader who is strong will end up destroying institutions.

The former INEC boss said this at the 58th Annual General Conference of the Nigerian Bar Association in Abuja on Monday, The Punch reports.

He said:

“What we require most are the competence and capacity of leaders to take decisions and be assertive in ensuring that those decisions are actually implemented. So, we have to be very careful in thinking that a strong leader can really help.

“Just like a weak leader can wreck an institution, a strong leader, who has just that power and courage, but lacks the capacity, ability and competence to lead, can also wreck strong institutions.

“Competence of leadership is a very important variable in bringing about the stable political transition, good governance and deepening of democracy.”

The former INEC boss, who superintended the 2011 and 2015 general elections, said politicians must stop treating elections as a do-or-die affair.

He recalled that a former President once said elections must be do-or-die, an incident he described as most unfortunate.

Jega also said there was a need for agencies of government to shun partisanship as this weakened institutions and eroded public confidence.

He added:

“We must emphasise professionalism, impartiality and non-partisanship. This is because quite too often, you have good and strong institutions, but once partisanship is introduced and partiality become the norm, as many public institutions in this country, then those institutions would not be able to deliver effectively on their mandates.”

The former INEC chairman said there was a need for law enforcement agencies and the judiciary to be alive to their responsibilities, adding that the integrity of the electoral process must be preserved and protected.

Jega added:

“From my experience, I am convinced that electoral integrity is key to stable political transition and to ensuring that there is a framework for good governance and societal development. Electoral integrity is not just about the integrity of the election management body. It is also the integrity with which the key stakeholders engage with the electoral process.”

In his remarks, a former Head of State, Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar, lamented that elections in Africa are always characterised by violence.

He said even the recently concluded NBA election was not without its own controversies.

“The genesis of Africa’s political problems is the action of sit-tight leaders who do all they can to amend the constitutions in order to perpetuate themselves forever. These leaders manipulate very vital democratic organs particularly the legislature and even judiciary to suppress any dissenting voice,” he added.

Source: http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/08/nigeria-does-not-need-strong-leaders.html

Aboki professor won't kill us.
Can a man be competent without life?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by bigcasava1(m): 1:27pm On Aug 28, 2018
prof jega u are worst than buhari cos u are weak and at the same incompetent! so don't tell us what good leadership is all abt.
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by NairaMaster1(m): 1:28pm On Aug 28, 2018
Baawaa:

This statement is for Jonathan,if you believe click like,if not click share

Can a lifeless man be competent.
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by NairaMaster1(m): 1:30pm On Aug 28, 2018
capatainrambo:
So Nigerians should now elect lifeless beings that will

travel round the world the later start frolicking London because of thier health eh

What do you expect from aboki professor.

But I love the northerners. They always support their incompetent and lifeless brothers unlike Amaechi and keyamo.
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by Ac4phil(m): 1:31pm On Aug 28, 2018
Which the man you pronounced winner is lacking both!
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by NairaMaster1(m): 1:32pm On Aug 28, 2018
semyman:
Help me tell these zombies the hard truth.
See the oldest and the dumbest that is trying to rule.
I weep for Northerners

Terrible.
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by 2016v2017: 1:33pm On Aug 28, 2018
bedspread:
You can't be Lifeless and Competent!!
don't mind that thief that rigged lifeless tyrant cowhari into Aso Rock

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by 2016v2017: 1:38pm On Aug 28, 2018
Ekez:
But you help in giving us a lifeless president.
if thief Jega is a patriot,he should have apologized to Nigerians for what he did
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by Dollabiz: 1:44pm On Aug 28, 2018
Jega really after putting us in this mess
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 28, 2018
Baawaa:

This statement is for Jonathan,if you believe click like,if not click share

99 shares for Jonathan grin
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by Royalfurnitures: 2:24pm On Aug 28, 2018
But you helped to force an incompetent one on us in 2015

Check out my signature for classy and exotic furniture
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by phkka1(m): 2:32pm On Aug 28, 2018
You knew about this and yet you imposed this lifeless man on Nigeria. See what bribe have led you to.
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by maryalloy(f): 2:33pm On Aug 28, 2018
no be your hand work, abeg make you shut up dia
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by omoranmilowo: 2:52pm On Aug 28, 2018
You JAGA caused the problem we are facing now for ringing incompetent leader for us.
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by Chikere01: 3:12pm On Aug 28, 2018
Jega has not said any thing competent her oooh
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by CRANEO92: 3:13pm On Aug 28, 2018
[color=#006600][/color]Now it another choice to make ........make it right and let history be ..........sowore2019
This is the guy we should elect
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by CRANEO92: 3:14pm On Aug 28, 2018
Now it another choice to make ........make it right and let history be ..........sowore2019
This is the guy we should elect

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by excel101(m): 3:17pm On Aug 28, 2018
He's afraid of stating the name of the incompetent leader wish is Buhari.
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by Grayxme: 3:32pm On Aug 28, 2018
The competency of a leader is not subject to his strength. Nigerians shouldnt be carried away come 2019. We should look out ability, knowledge, and skill not just the Physique
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by fotadmowmend(m): 3:53pm On Aug 28, 2018
I talk am.... This man is a Buharist ..... He was obviously against GEJ during the last elections
Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by bobnatlo(m): 4:30pm On Aug 28, 2018
seguno2:

Only those who have their own PVCs ready can look for another president.
Do you have yours
What of your family and friends? Do they also have their own PVCs
Guy I don get am tey and ready gidi gbaam.

One legacy I wanna leave for my kids is that I participated and voted for a good leader who is visionary and ensures a guud future for coming generations.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by dins4real(m): 4:34pm On Aug 28, 2018
12Ebisco:
A former chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof Attahiru Jega, has mentioned that Nigeria needs competent leaders and not necessarily strong leaders.

According to Jega, an incompetent leader who is strong will end up destroying institutions.

The former INEC boss said this at the 58th Annual General Conference of the Nigerian Bar Association in Abuja on Monday, The Punch reports.

He said:

“What we require most are the competence and capacity of leaders to take decisions and be assertive in ensuring that those decisions are actually implemented. So, we have to be very careful in thinking that a strong leader can really help.

“Just like a weak leader can wreck an institution, a strong leader, who has just that power and courage, but lacks the capacity, ability and competence to lead, can also wreck strong institutions.

“Competence of leadership is a very important variable in bringing about the stable political transition, good governance and deepening of democracy.”

The former INEC boss, who superintended the 2011 and 2015 general elections, said politicians must stop treating elections as a do-or-die affair.

He recalled that a former President once said elections must be do-or-die, an incident he described as most unfortunate.

Jega also said there was a need for agencies of government to shun partisanship as this weakened institutions and eroded public confidence.

He added:

“We must emphasise professionalism, impartiality and non-partisanship. This is because quite too often, you have good and strong institutions, but once partisanship is introduced and partiality become the norm, as many public institutions in this country, then those institutions would not be able to deliver effectively on their mandates.”

The former INEC chairman said there was a need for law enforcement agencies and the judiciary to be alive to their responsibilities, adding that the integrity of the electoral process must be preserved and protected.

Jega added:

“From my experience, I am convinced that electoral integrity is key to stable political transition and to ensuring that there is a framework for good governance and societal development. Electoral integrity is not just about the integrity of the election management body. It is also the integrity with which the key stakeholders engage with the electoral process.”

In his remarks, a former Head of State, Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar, lamented that elections in Africa are always characterised by violence.

He said even the recently concluded NBA election was not without its own controversies.

“The genesis of Africa’s political problems is the action of sit-tight leaders who do all they can to amend the constitutions in order to perpetuate themselves forever. These leaders manipulate very vital democratic organs particularly the legislature and even judiciary to suppress any dissenting voice,” he added.

Source: http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/08/nigeria-does-not-need-strong-leaders.html
In other words, you are regretting in voting out Jonathan from the president seat.
I hope you are ASHAME for what you did?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by Yankee101: 4:46pm On Aug 28, 2018
Fvck you Jega. You helped bring us here

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Does Not Need Strong Leaders, But Competent Ones – Prof Attahiru Jega by seguno2: 4:50pm On Aug 28, 2018
bobnatlo:
Guy I don get am tey and ready gidi gbaam.

One legacy I wanna leave for my kids is that I participated and voted for a good leader who is visionary and ensures a guud future for coming generations.

Na so oh.
You be correct guy. cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EFCC Storms Okupe’s Home / FIRS Budgets N160 Million For 850 Drivers’ Uniforms, N825 Million For Refreshmen / Assault: Senator Abbo Shuns Senate Plenary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.