Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,719 members, 7,802,170 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria (21812 Views)

After Visit To Hometown, Adamawa Youths "Wash Off Atiku’s Footsteps" / I Am ‘Unrepentant PDP Leader,’ Fayose Says After Visit To Tinubu / Buhari Returns To Abuja 4 Days After Visit To Daura (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by 8Ebisco: 6:15am On Aug 30, 2018
- Theresa May says she hopes to see increased trade between Nigeria and UK

- The UK prime minister not the thriving business in Nigeria

- She said better relationship will be good for both countries

British Prime Minister, Theresa May, says she had an excellent time in Nigeria and hopes to see increased trade and investment between Nigeria and the UK.

She spoke with newsmen at the Presidential Wing of the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Ikeja on Wednesday in Lagos, shortly before departing the country at 8:10 p.m.

“I was in Abuja and also in Lagos to see the thriving business community here.

“We want to see increased trade between Nigeria and UK, increased investment, bringing jobs here in Nigeria, jobs in the UK.

“This will be good for both countries and I have had an excellent time in here in Nigeria, and I am very pleased to be here today,” she told newsmen.

Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State, who was at the airport to see her off, said the important visit centered on improving investment in the state and the country in general.

“She has visited Abuja earlier in the day.

“The important part of this visit was discussion on how investment in Lagos can be improved by British investors.

“We realise that Lagos is the commercial capital of Nigeria and a whole lot of British investment are domiciled in Lagos,” he said.

The governor said they spoke about how to improve investment planning and what Lagos has been doing to attract investors.

“We having been doing a lot of judicial sector reforms and security sector reforms and she is pleased with the progress we are making in Lagos.

“She is ready to complement our efforts by opening up export credit facility and also with development finance to some of the things that we are doing in Lagos,” he said.

Ambode said the discussion also centred around boosting technology and improving infrastructure and the creative industry.

“We spoke about things related to technology, infrastructure and also the creative industry.”

On the relationship between Lagos and Britain, Ambode said: “we need to make sure that a whole lot of British investment is coming to Lagos. She is willing to do more with us.

“You know, Lagos in 1861 was a British colony. The history has been so long, so, we also need to reactivate that,” Ambode said.

NAN reports that the state government, in a statement by the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Mr Habib Aruna, shed more light on Ambode’s discussion with May.

Ambode, according to the statement, said that much of Nigerian education, cultural and political systems were influenced by Britain and there were more Nigerians living in the UK than elsewhere in the world.

The governor said that Lagos remained a place of choice for British investors, especially given that stability in the government, the size of Lagos economy and population, as well as the particular focus of his administration on the rule of law and justice sector reform.

He also said that it would be of particular importance to Lagos State if British investors could explore the various opportunities that exist in the State in the areas of energy, technology, export finance, infrastructure and the creative industry.

“So, we spoke about how we can improve the investment climate in Lagos and then the other parts of what Lagos has been doing to attract investors.

“You know we have been doing a lot in judicial sector reforms and security sector reforms and the Prime Minister was pleased with the progress that we are making in Lagos and ready to complement our efforts by opening up export credit facility and development finance to some of the things that we are doing in Lagos State.”

The Governor expressed optimism in the strengthening of the relationship between Britain and Lagos and avowed that his administration would do whatever it takes to achieve that goal.

According to the statement, May, on her part, said that export credit finance to the tune of 750 million pounds sterling, as well as a considerable development finance was available, which Lagos State could look towards.

She also spoke about the role that British could play in the development of the technology industry in Lagos given the particular capability of the UK in that area.

The British Prime Minister also noted the special strength of the London City as a financial hub that could be of considerable importance for Lagos State, just as she emphasized sustainability and growth in Britain/Lagos relationship.

Finally, she expressed the desire of the British government to assist Lagos in the development of her creative industry and alluded to the fact that the jacket she was wearing when she met with the Governor was actually made in Nigeria.

Meanwhile, the United Kingdom says it has repatriated to Nigeria, 70 million pounds recovered from a Nigerian convict who was found guilty of fraud by an Italian court.

British High commissioner Paul Arkwright, ahead of Prime minister, Theresa May’s visit to the country, said more funds would be repatriated from the UK to Nigeria.

Source: http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/08/theresa-may-speaks-after-visit-to.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by MrRabbi(m): 6:16am On Aug 30, 2018
That's not my concern.... My concern is the new Name she gave Mr. Lifeless President.

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by massinola(m): 6:18am On Aug 30, 2018
Ok
Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by emmie14: 6:23am On Aug 30, 2018
May is here for trade only. Bye bye Anty Theresa.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by EmekaMD(m): 6:29am On Aug 30, 2018
cool hi
Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by Aufbauh(m): 6:30am On Aug 30, 2018
MrRabbi:
That's not my concern.... My concern is the new Name she gave Mr. Lifeless President.

Buhari supporters are the most stubborn supporters I've seen. Even when they said he is 'Lifeless ' they said they will vote for his dead body. cheesy

#thethingweakme

I think it's an exercise in futility repeating a stalled message cuz it won't change their minds.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by 10kbelow: 6:31am On Aug 30, 2018
emmie14:
May is here for trade only. Bye bye Anty Theresa.

While hari goes to the UK for medical checkup cheesy cheesy

22 Likes

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by Herdsmen: 6:35am On Aug 30, 2018
Aufbauh:

Buhari supporters are the most stubborn supporters I've seen. Even when they said he is 'Lifeless ' they said they will vote for his dead body. cheesy

#thethingweakme

I think it's an exercise in futility repeating a stalled message cuz it won't change their minds.

Na why social media call em

Zone Bz..

18 Likes

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by MrRabbi(m): 6:37am On Aug 30, 2018
Aufbauh:

#thethingweakme

They're the real enemies of democracy... But we shall send them packing come 2019

21 Likes

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by Herdsmen: 6:39am On Aug 30, 2018
10kbelow:

While hari goes to the UK for medical checkup cheesy cheesy

Lifeless Dullard have nothing to offer.. always using health as excuse to abandon responsiblity..
You see ..
May came to Nigeria to negotiate and cut reala for the imperialist..
All in two days..

The dullard will go ..for 145days.. no deal.. nothing..
Only to lie like dead wood ..

Wonder why Trump called him lifeless one

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by chriskosherbal(m): 6:40am On Aug 30, 2018
Aufbauh:

#thethingweakme

cheesy grin
Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by EagleNest(m): 6:42am On Aug 30, 2018
Brexit has pushed Theresa May to go various parts of the world looking for business deals for UK, in the case of hard Brexit.

Nigeria should be negotiating on ease of doing business with UK in respect to exports of Agricultural produce, etc.

9 Likes

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by seyilabi(m): 7:07am On Aug 30, 2018
Lagos is a country on its own.

3 Likes

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by Horus(m): 8:34am On Aug 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTzMPn0jkIQ

Theresa May comments on Nigeria trade

1 Like

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by itiswellandwell: 9:31am On Aug 30, 2018
Hmmm
Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by AllHailBiafra(m): 9:32am On Aug 30, 2018
Is quite unfortunate that many animals and zombies in the zoo is jumping up that the demon of Britain visited them at the expense of the actual reason why she visited 3 African countries in 3 consecutive days. They foolishly believe it is for their good. The truth is that the British demon is leveling the ground economically for their imminent landing from EU Brexit. Nigeria in their resources have been effectively sustaining many countries economically of which Britain has the largest opportunity in' of which some other countries tarp from as Nigeria's colonial masters. Now Britain wants to opt-out from EU which is very imminent, now when they are finally out from EU, Nigeria would have been their only investment for their economical sustainability by virtue of being the colonial masters of Nigeria. Now Nigeria is not a member of EU and can decide not to trade their oil and products with the European countries courtesy of British underhand mechanization. If the British demon truly cares for the welfare of Nigeria, why is she ignoring the predicaments and decimation of a section of the country of where the oil is coming from? Why does she insist on the forceful unity of Nigeria? The four countries that made up Britain are all independent from one another and they enjoy their freedom, mind you, the population of Nigeria is far higher than the entire Britain. So why force us to remain together if they don't have special interest in what they are getting from the fraudulent and forceful unity of Nigeria? In the picture below, they have renewed their contracts and colonial tied to Nigeria, but some people are jumping up, you have been effectively been sustained in colonial slavery, but in all this, we shall come victorious as Biafra must be restored.

Somebody halla my Monika^^^

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by semyman: 9:32am On Aug 30, 2018
MrRabbi:
You can do your worst by 2019 when Buhari wins again

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by MooreJozo(m): 9:33am On Aug 30, 2018
she talk
Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by AlphaStyles(m): 9:36am On Aug 30, 2018
what about visa process? i hope e no go hard for we nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by Jaqenhghar: 9:36am On Aug 30, 2018
“We want to see increased trade between Nigeria and UK, increased investment, bringing jobs here in Nigeria, jobs in the UK."

Meaning "we want to see more UK businesses take advantage of you guys and exploit you"

“This will be good for both countries"
Means "it will be very good for UK"

" I have had an excellent time in here in Nigeria, and I am very pleased to be here today,”
Meaning "I got exactly what I wanted. Things went according to my plans"

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by Jay31: 9:37am On Aug 30, 2018
8Ebisco:

British Prime Minister, Theresa May, says she had an excellent time in Nigeria and hopes to see increased trade and investment between Nigeria and the UK.

She spoke with newsmen at the Presidential Wing of the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Ikeja on Wednesday in Lagos, shortly before departing the country at 8:10 p.m.

“We want to see increased trade between Nigeria and UK, increased investment, bringing jobs here in Nigeria, jobs in the UK.

“This will be good for both countries and I have had an excellent time in here in Nigeria, and I am very pleased to be here today,” she told newsmen.

Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State, who was at the airport to see her off, said the important visit centered on improving investment in the state and the country in general.

“The important part of this visit was discussion on how investment in Lagos can be improved by British investors.

“We realise that Lagos is the commercial capital of Nigeria and a whole lot of British investment are domiciled in Lagos,” he said.
V
The governor said they spoke about how to improve investment planning and what Lagos has been doing to attract investors.

“We having been doing a lot of judicial sector reforms and security sector reforms and she is pleased with the progress we are making in Lagos.

“She is ready to complement our efforts by opening up export credit facility and also with development finance to some of the things that we are doing in Lagos,” he said.

Ambode said the discussion also centred around boosting technology and improving infrastructure and the creative industry.

“We spoke about things related to technology, infrastructure and also the creative industry.”

On the relationship between Lagos and Britain, Ambode said: “we need to make sure that a whole lot of British investment is coming to Lagos. She is willing to do more with us.

“You know, Lagos in 1861 was a British colony. The history has been so long, so, we also need to reactivate that,” Ambode said.

NAN reports that the state government, in a statement by the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Mr Habib Aruna, shed more light on Ambode’s discussion with May.

Ambode, according to the statement, said that much of Nigerian education, cultural and political systems were influenced by Britain and there were more Nigerians living in the UK than elsewhere in the world.

The governor said that Lagos remained a place of choice for British investors, especially given that stability in the government, the size of Lagos economy and population, as well as the particular focus of his administration on the rule of law and justice sector reform.

He also said that it would be of particular importance to Lagos State if British investors could explore the various opportunities that exist in the State in the areas of energy, technology, export finance, infrastructure and the creative industry.

“So, we spoke about how we can improve the investment climate in Lagos and then the other parts of what Lagos has been doing to attract investors.

“You know we have been doing a lot in judicial sector reforms and security sector reforms and the Prime Minister was pleased with the progress that we are making in Lagos and ready to complement our efforts by opening up export credit facility and development finance to some of the things that we are doing in Lagos State.”

The Governor expressed optimism in the strengthening of the relationship between Britain and Lagos and avowed that his administration would do whatever it takes to achieve that goal.

According to the statement, May, on her part, said that export credit finance to the tune of 750 million pounds sterling, as well as a considerable development finance was available, which Lagos State could look towards.

She also spoke about the role that British could play in the development of the technology industry in Lagos given the particular capability of the UK in that area.

The British Prime Minister also noted the special strength of the London City as a financial hub that could be of considerable importance for Lagos State, just as she emphasized sustainability and growth in Britain/Lagos relationship.

Finally, she expressed the desire of the British government to assist Lagos in the development of her creative industry and alluded to the fact that the jacket she was wearing when she met with the Governor was actually made in Nigeria.

Meanwhile, the United Kingdom says it has repatriated to Nigeria, 70 million pounds recovered from a Nigerian convict who was found guilty of fraud by an Italian court.

British High commissioner Paul Arkwright, ahead of Prime minister, Theresa May’s visit to the country, said more funds would be repatriated from the UK to Nigeria.

Source: http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/08/theresa-may-speaks-after-visit-to.html

I will vote for a lifeless PMB over a group of looters called PDP...Whether PMB wins or not, let my conscience be clear that I voted for him, I believe in him, cos he might be slow, he might not be as active as people want him to be, but he didn't steal our money. Whether now or in future, Nigerians will come to realise that PMB means well for Nigeria. When you want to renovate your old building or build a new house, it is not always easy at the beginning...#ISTANDWITHBUHARI

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by deebsman1(m): 9:39am On Aug 30, 2018
He's lifeless but na dem dey rush him
Sai Baba

4 Likes

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by deebsman1(m): 9:40am On Aug 30, 2018
She can't even sleep over, the energy dos pipu normally have no b small, South Africa in the morning, Abuja in the afternoon, Lagos in the evening and still sleeping in Nairobi, Kenya......... success ain't joke matter o

4 Likes

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by bigmee: 9:40am On Aug 30, 2018
Ow! I thought she came for medical checkup

2 Likes

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by davodyguy: 9:41am On Aug 30, 2018
She spent less than 12 hours in nIGERIA

3 Likes

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by magicminister: 9:43am On Aug 30, 2018
8Ebisco:

You know, Lagos in 1861 was a British colony. The history has been so long, so, we also need to reactivate that,” Ambode said.

For Ambode to say the bolded part, that means we have a very long way to go before we can liberate ourselves from the clutches of the western world.
They got us in this mess but we chose to stay in this mess.
Too bad Ambode is still a mental Slave. Despite all the education and wealthy, he’s still a slave to the white man!!!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by thunder74(m): 9:45am On Aug 30, 2018
At least you have one permanent tourist, patient and customer from Nigeria bringing money to the Britain regularly.

1 Like

Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by 2016v2017: 9:48am On Aug 30, 2018
MrRabbi:
Only because of business cooperation, she came to Africa.UK,we are tired of your evil doings in Nigeria and Africa as a whole.
Re: Theresa May Speaks After Visit To Nigeria by ipobarecriminals: 9:48am On Aug 30, 2018
cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

El-rufai Visits Yakowa’s Hometown As He Declares Kaduna Guber Bid / APC Women Presidential Campaign In Maiduguri For Tinubu/shettima (photos) / Rivers Tribunal: CJN Confirms Wike Visited His Office Twice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.