Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:56 PM

A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State (1789 Views)

A Beekeeper's Trip To Okaka, Oyo State / 179KG Yam Harvested In Akokwa, Imo State (Photos) / Huge Cassava Harvested In Imo State, Taller Than The Owner!!!!! (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 30, 2018
I am on a trip to Nihort Okigwe to know what they have as it relates to fruitrees planting materials, technologies andd more
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 30, 2018
I have been searchng for improved seeds and seedlings but often times I get what the identity is unknown. Some times selling products without ID Though excellent.
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by benzion72(m): 12:21pm On Aug 30, 2018
Waiting for your experience
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 30, 2018
My target is to know what is available. I arrived to a warm welcome by the Head of station and his marketing and field staff. Afterwards we moved to the plots to see the fruit trees available.
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 30, 2018
We visited the citrus plots and grafting and budding units
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by excanny: 12:51pm On Aug 30, 2018
Post pics bro.

Don't forget to ask about improved varieties that mature faster, especially wild mango(that yeye tree that fruits in 15years lol.)

And update us.
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Pavore9: 2:30pm On Aug 30, 2018
excanny:
Post pics bro.

Don't forget to ask about improved varieties that mature faster, especially wild mango(that yeye tree that fruits in 15years lol.)

And update us.

It still baffles me that nothing has been done regarding ogbono that we have to wait that so much years to harvest.
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 30, 2018
excanny:
Post pics bro.

And update us.

Bros don't even shout, they have up to 30 types of mango. If you can say the name ,it's at okigwe NIHORT. Keith to peters,julie,edward etc. You need to see expance of land .
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 3:00pm On Aug 30, 2018
Pavore9:

It still baffles me that nothing has been done regarding ogbono that we have to wait that so much years to harvest.
Bros fruiting time of ogbono depends on if it was grafted or not. For example check out this bitter cola Imet in one of their plot fruiting with riped fruit at 8 feet. You know what?, I helped them graft a sample.
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 30, 2018
Bitter kola

Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 30, 2018
Citrus of all kinds are there. Valencia, umudike, nigerian green orange, lemon ,cleopatra etc etc.
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by excanny: 3:24pm On Aug 30, 2018
happybrother:
Bros don't even shout, they have up to 30 types of mango. If you can say the name ,it's at okigwe NIHORT. Keith to peters,julie,edward etc. You need to see expance of land .

Irvingia
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 30, 2018
One thing I did not see is avocado in their varieties. But mango and citrus is in quantum. I also observed that they have very nice people. However they need improvement in their plant production system. I saw wealth lying without exploitation. I saw collaborations that weren't. Cocktail products (one tree with 2 or more types of fruit)were absent.
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 30, 2018
My worry was that I didn't see avocado plot. The institute is sitting on an 810 hectar expance of land, so much to do but few workers. I suggest that all N-POWER AGRO Candidates be sent to that institute to create wealth.

1 Like

Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Pavore9: 3:49pm On Aug 30, 2018
happybrother:
My worry was that I didn't see avocado plot. The institute is sitting on an 810 hectar expance of land, so much to do but few workers. I suggest that all N-POWER AGRO Candidates be sent to that institute to create wealth.

Have you gotten the Hass variety?
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 30, 2018
Pavore9:

Have you gotten the Hass variety?
My beloved bros, I have not seen yet ! I was once introduced to one seller at ogun who sells N3000 and 5 moq, my bros 'I TIRE' . My hope was flawed today when I couldn't find hass at NIHORT OKIGWE
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 6:15pm On Aug 30, 2018
I confirm one thing today: be patient and consitent in your search for a good thing ,one day you will surpass your aim . I have invested much on trying to find varieties in fruit trees, be they papaya from Thailand or mangoes from Adamawa or citrus from Benue, but today I have seen more than I could believe. I know my company's (splashagro.) story will never be the same.
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Pavore9: 6:22pm On Aug 30, 2018
happybrother:
My beloved bros, I have not seen yet ! I was once introduced to one seller at ogun who sells N3000 and 5 moq, my bros 'I TIRE' . My hope was flawed today when I couldn't find hass at NIHORT OKIGWE

It is about $5 from nurseries at this end.
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by whirlwind7(m): 6:28pm On Aug 30, 2018
happybrother:
I have been searchng for improved seeds and seedlings but often times I get what the identity is unknown. Some times selling products without ID Though excellent.

Wondering if they have improved trees/seedlingsseedlings of ugba (oil bean) ukwa (breadfruit) nkwu and ngwo.
Now, I have come to realize that the old ways of nonchalantly dropping the seeds that produce the trees which may or may not get transplanted to a suitable spots aren't working anymore.
These items have become scarce and expensive. Been wondering if I can get improved varieties to that I could make small plantations from.

Any info about this, please?
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by sefani(f): 10:44am On Aug 31, 2018
@happy brother, nice one,waiting for pictures
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 31, 2018
whirlwind7:

Wondering if they have improved trees/seedlingsseedlings of ugba (oil bean) ukwa (breadfruit) nkwu and ngwo.
Now, I have come to realize that the old ways of nonchalantly dropping the seeds that produce the trees which may or may not get transplanted to a suitable spots aren't working anymore.
These items have become scarce and expensive. Been wondering if I can get improved varieties to that I could make small plantations from.

Any info about this, please?
In a section they called 'indeginous' I Saw pletty ugba in the nursery but non-grafted. Though it can be graf ed on order
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 31, 2018
sefani:
@happy brother, nice one,waiting for pictures
You know my handicap = java phone
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 4:13pm On Aug 31, 2018
photos; bitter cola fruiting at 10 feet, lemon (not the rough type), ogbono (bears so much fruit), ukwa (treculia africana)
We did intensive hands-on and I was at the driver's seat. But I promise full coverage when i return back to that place on a working visit.

Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by whirlwind7(m): 6:38am On Sep 01, 2018
happybrother:
In a section they called 'indeginous' I Saw pletty ugba in the nursery but non-grafted. Though it can be graf ed on order

I see. Appreciate the feedback.
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 6:59am On Oct 13, 2018
Pavore9:

Ogbono has a improved breed that fruits from 18 months.
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Pavore9: 8:41am On Oct 13, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

And where are the seedlings sold and for how much?

1 Like

Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by PapaBrowne(m): 11:40am On Oct 13, 2018
happybrother:

There is no Hass in Nigeria. It’s just crazy funny.

You best be is to grow local variety rootstock then import Hass cuttings that you can graft on. That’s exactly what I’m doing. I met someone from KEPHIS in Kenya who would provide cuttings for my 10,000 Avocado rootstock.

I also found that they have some Hass Plantations in Cameroon. So cuttings can be gotten from there too.

Nigeria is just an unserious country. You can’t get anything top notch here. I just don’t know why!

2 Likes

Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 13, 2018
Pavore9:

And where are the seedlings sold and for how much?
It sold between N500 to N600 per seedlings in many shops.
Some are here on nairaland
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Pavore9: 6:09pm On Dec 28, 2018
PapaBrowne:

There is no Hass in Nigeria. It’s just crazy funny.

You best be is to grow local variety rootstock then import Hass cuttings that you can graft on. That’s exactly what I’m doing. I met someone from KEPHIS in Kenya who would provide cuttings for my 10,000 Avocado rootstock.

I also found that they have some Hass Plantations in Cameroon. So cuttings can be gotten from there too.

Nigeria is just an unserious country. You can’t get anything top notch here. I just don’t know why!

Did you get the cuttings from KEPHIS?
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by suyamasta(m): 7:26pm On Dec 28, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

18 months for real?
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by Nobody: 4:18am On Jan 15, 2019
The return movement will come soon
Re: A Trip To NIHORT Okigwe Station ,imo State by okoroemeka(m): 6:09am On Jan 15, 2019
NIHORT is very near to our farm at umuowa,Okigwe,its just 10 mins drive to there,we use to buy any variety of vegetable seed there.I know they have huge land but 810 hectares,MY GOD!!that is more than 13,000 plots.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Bags Of Onion And Cattles Available In Sokoto / I Need Noilers In Ibadan / How Do I Plant Aloe Vera From Cut Leaves?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.