Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" (25601 Views)

Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by BeijinDossier: 4:29pm On Aug 30, 2018
Cool.. Anambra born Chimamanda making the black race proud.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by FitnessHomme: 4:30pm On Aug 30, 2018
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by TundeBricklayer: 4:33pm On Aug 30, 2018
Nanorest:
Crap....... ugly bitch
Compare her with your ugly mother with no achievement, calling a renowned writer who is being admire across the globe clearly shows your poor family upbringing and how frustrated you are.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 30, 2018
Despite the fact that this woman is my role model and i love her books... I still don't understand her stance on feminism.

"We should all be feminists" is one of my favorite chimamanda books, but i still got a lot of questions on feminism.
I guess i'll just write a book one day on my own opinion. But i don't know yet, cus i'm not too bright like that.

Mind you, i'd rock nigerian designs over every other too, if i were chimamanda's age.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by wolesmile(m): 4:35pm On Aug 30, 2018
Jobia:
Love this lady

Agree with almost everything she stands forkiss
Of course you'll agree with everything she stands for. People that can't reason on their own almost often agree with the reasoning of others.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by safarigirl(f): 4:36pm On Aug 30, 2018
sunnysunny69:
See hot body wey this woman go give white man . Come back to black brother for proper one, na them dey rush us !
her husband is a Nigerian man from Edo state. What are you talking about?

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by TundeBricklayer: 4:40pm On Aug 30, 2018
safarigirl:
her husband is a Nigerian man from Edo state. What are you talking about?
Cross River, related to Liyel Imoke former governor of Cross River state
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by Nobody: 4:40pm On Aug 30, 2018
wolesmile:

Of course you'll agree with everything she stands for. People that can't reason on their own almost often agree with the reasoning of others.
would you rather i agree with you? I tend to agree with people that have a good head on their shoulders, not spineless low lives like you.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by Cyriloha(m): 4:40pm On Aug 30, 2018
Waiting for name checkers
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by nextstep(m): 4:44pm On Aug 30, 2018
Nanorest:
Crap....... ugly bitch

Yes, let's ignore the positivity, the attention to our designers, the consistent celebration of our culture on the world stage, the hard work, brains and tenacity, and put out an insult - based solely on her looks - that doesn't add to the discussion.

And the irony of it is - since we're talking about looks - she's quite pretty, by any standards grin grin grin tongue

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by wolesmile(m): 4:49pm On Aug 30, 2018
Jobia:
would you rather i agree with you? I tend to agree with people that have a good head on their shoulders, not spineless low lives like you.

Baby... you just confirmed my worst fear!!! Your stvpidity id beyond redemption!!!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by Nobody: 4:53pm On Aug 30, 2018
wolesmile:

Baby... you just confirmed my worst fear!!! Your stvpidity id beyond redemption!!!
blah blah.. go back to your hole kid

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by Moreoffaith(m): 4:53pm On Aug 30, 2018
Eaa247:

Dear comrade! u r absolutely on track.
Thomas Sankara the greatest African leader that never was.
Burkina Faso lost a 'god' in him.
remember his quote 'The enemies of a people are those who keep them in ignorance'

Nice one man!!

The country would have been one of the best in the world now, if not his best friend was used against him.

May his soul continue to rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by nextstep(m): 4:54pm On Aug 30, 2018
zinnyzee:
Despite the fact that this woman is my role model and i love her books... I still don't understand her stance on feminism.

"We should all be feminists" is one of my favorite chimamanda books, but i still got a lot of questions on feminism.
I guess i'll just write a book one day on my own opinion. But i don't know yet, cus i'm not too bright like that.

Mind you, i'd rock nigerian designs over every other too, if i were chimamanda's age.

Well, the only way to write a good book is to write many bad drafts and a couple bad books. In other words, don't wait.

We can understand and appreciate other people's ideas and the positivity they bring without agreeing to all of it. Lot's of African women have issues with the western notions of feminism, and have written about it extensively since the late 70's. (Chikwenye Okonjo Ogunyemi, Buchi Emechetta, Flora Nwapa, Tess Onwueme, are four that immediately came to mind). Note that they don't call themselves "feminist" but their writings had a lot to say about their ideas on women in society.

I personally can't stand some of the things Chimamanda says - and I feel a chunk of it is made for a Western feminist audience - but I have read 6 of her books and enjoyed them, and I am proud of what she's doing in the world.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by wolesmile(m): 4:56pm On Aug 30, 2018
Jobia:
blah blah.. go back to your hole kid
Must you display this idiotic attitude on a public forum? I know your type, hoe... You want attention? Now you have it.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by Realname: 4:58pm On Aug 30, 2018
Nanorest:
Crap....... ugly bitch

Now you have gotten that out of your system did it make you feel better ? No you are still bitter

Did it make you more successful? Nope

Likeable ? Not in the least

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 30, 2018
wolesmile:
Must you display this idiotic attitude on a public forum? I know your type, hoe... You want attention? Now you have it.
i want attention?? You came running with your indirect insults and i served yours directly to ya face.

I normally dont indulge bastards tho, guess today is your lucky day.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by Jaqenhghar: 5:01pm On Aug 30, 2018
The irony is they hail Niggeria, they rep Niggeria but will NEVER live in Niggeria
Not like I blame them sha
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by wolesmile(m): 5:06pm On Aug 30, 2018
Jobia:
i want attention?? You came running with your indirect insults and i served yours directly to ya face.

I normally dont indulge bastards tho, guess today is your lucky day.

You are the lucky one, girl... I am in a good mood today. And for the records, I gave it to you directly. I don't do indirect. If i want to do indirect, I won't mention you, bitch.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by Nobody: 5:09pm On Aug 30, 2018
wolesmile:

You are the lucky one, girl... I am in a good mood today. And for the records, I gave it to you directly. I don't do indirect. If i want to do indirect, I won't mention you, bitch.
dont you have toys to play with or something sheesh. boy get lost.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by wolesmile(m): 5:14pm On Aug 30, 2018
Jobia:
dont you have toys to play with or something sheesh. boy get lost.

Girlie... You're lost already
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by Leun: 5:18pm On Aug 30, 2018
Moreoffaith:
Things like this makes me remember my hero Thomas Sankara of Burkina Faso...

if you wanna know about him check google pls.

God bless you for spilling this out. I had to Google his name and was amazed to how far he felt for his people. These are the kind of leaders Nigeria need.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by Fianze93(m): 5:25pm On Aug 30, 2018
sunnysunny69:
See hot body wey this woman go give white man . Come back to black brother for proper one, na them dey rush us !

She is married to A nigerian
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 30, 2018
nextstep:

Well, the only way to write a good book is to write many bad drafts and a couple bad books. In other words, don't wait.

We can understand and appreciate other people's ideas and the positivity they bring without agreeing to all of it. Lot's of African women have issues with the western notions of feminism, and have written about it extensively since the late 70's. (Chikwenye Okonjo Ogunyemi, Buchi Emechetta, Flora Nwapa, Tess Onwueme, are four that immediately came to mind). Note that they don't call themselves "feminist" but their writings had a lot to say about their ideas on women in society.

I personally can't stand some of the things Chimamanda says - and I feel a chunk of it is made for a Western feminist audience - but I have read 6 of her books and enjoyed them, and I am proud of what she's doing in the world.
I'd read Buchi Emecheta's books too and i think i understand her better than i did Chimamanda. Buchi worked for the liberation of the women folk and she passed her message across in a harmless way in her "Joys of motherhood".

Flora Nwapa's "Women are different" is a piece i identify with too. It was outrightly feminist, but more like a voice for the contemporary african woman. Not like my role model's overall western outlook.

On my writing a book, it's not something of a burning passion. It's more like the need to be useful. Even if i was gonna write something, it's gonna be more of an article.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by opribo(m): 5:36pm On Aug 30, 2018
Thats hypocrisy. Is she still carrying our passport or American passport.
Everybody knows we have the best fashion and design collections when it comes to Africa.

So you love our way but you rather not be one of us, what is that called.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by Moreoffaith(m): 5:38pm On Aug 30, 2018
Leun:

God bless you for spilling this out. I had to Google his name and was amazed to how far he felt for his people. These are the kind of leaders Nigeria need.

I swear down my brother.

He even make it a law that all government workers must put on a native attire, those who find it difficult put their native attire in their handbag should he pay unannounced visit to their ministry.

He remain my hero as Africa is concerned.

If you wanna know much about him check out his speech and video on YouTube.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by Leun: 5:44pm On Aug 30, 2018
Moreoffaith:

I swear down my brother.

He even make it a law that all government workers must put on a native attire, those who find it difficult put their native attire in their handbag should he pay unannounced visit to their ministry.

He remain my hero as Africa is concerned.

If you wanna know much about him check out his speech and video on YouTube.

I will check those out too..

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by GetCofOProperty: 6:04pm On Aug 30, 2018
owooba:
HOLY CRAP, I know she will sell that story to the gullible Nigerian YOUTH'S. Ask her how much have she contributed to the development of those making that dress for her apart from paying to sew it. smiley smiley cool
You may want to check our signature below!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by evy800(f): 6:38pm On Aug 30, 2018
Thank God she didn't feminize this one
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" by akdjr(m): 7:09pm On Aug 30, 2018
Nice one @Chi. Please also patronise our locally made shoes too.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle / My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi / Honeymoon In Prison-reborn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.