Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,029 members, 7,807,053 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:59 AM

How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking (499 Views)

Adeboye: I Don’t Know Whether There Will Be 2023 Election Yet / The Nigerians Who Want Israel To Accept Them As Jews - BBC / See The Nigerians Mr Macaroni Is Fighting For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking by Adelaide2: 3:46pm On Aug 30, 2018
Globally, income levels are classified as low class, middle class, upper middle class, and upper (high) class. Most Nigerians fall into the low class.

See where you fall in dependent on the number of mouths you feed in your family

In these examples, I used 1 million Naira per annum as the bench mark, even though I know most Nigerians don't make that much per annum.

From this, you can factor in your own income and family size and see where you fall into in the income rankings

Bottom line is, if you have a low annual income, there is no point in having a large family. As it is now in Nigeria, personally, if I was living there and having a low income, I will not marry a wife, let alone have one kid, let alone have kids
Re: How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking by Adelaide2: 3:47pm On Aug 30, 2018
If you make 1 million Naira per annum and have 2 family members, you are in the middle income level

Re: How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking by Adelaide2: 3:49pm On Aug 30, 2018
If you make 1 million Naira per annum and have 5 family members, you are in the low income level

Re: How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking by SarkinYarki: 3:49pm On Aug 30, 2018
Only 8 percent of Nigerians earn 60 thousand Naira Anand above a month the rest 92 percent earn below that , in every 10 Nigerians 9.2 are poor and that's a fact....Vote out Buhari now

1 Like

Re: How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking by Adelaide2: 3:49pm On Aug 30, 2018
If you make 1 million Naira per annum and have 10 family members, you are in the low income level

Re: How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking by Adelaide2: 3:51pm On Aug 30, 2018
If you make 1 million Naira per annum and have 1 family members, you are in the upper middle income level

Re: How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking by GloriaNinja(f): 3:53pm On Aug 30, 2018
undecided BUT MANY PEOPLE ARE STARVING IN NIGERIA.
Re: How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking by Adelaide2: 3:53pm On Aug 30, 2018
If you make 3 million Naira per annum and have 1 family member (that is you), you are in the high income level

Re: How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking by DuBLINGreenb(m): 3:58pm On Aug 30, 2018
cry
In our hearts we know we are poor but we refuse to confess the truth with our mouths.
*crys* *sobs* *stutters* Toooo taalk truth dey hard us for this countryyyyyyy�
Re: How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking by Adelaide2: 4:00pm On Aug 30, 2018
If you make 2 million Naira per annum and have 1 family member (that is you), you are in the upper middle income level

Re: How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking by Adelaide2: 4:05pm On Aug 30, 2018
SarkinYarki:
[b]Only 8 percent of Nigerians earn 60 thousand Naira Anand above a month [/b]the rest 92 percent earn below that , in every 10 Nigerians 9.2 are poor and that's a fact....Vote out Buhari now

Tell me this is not true. Oh my God! This if true, is so pathetic and would mean that nearly 49% of Nigerians are in this category below, even when assumed they have only 1 family member (themselves). Of course the average family size in Nigeria is around 6.

Re: How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking by LadyExcellency: 4:08pm On Aug 30, 2018
Anybody that has land, a dwelling place, not a disabled is not poor let alone extremely poor.
Re: How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking by Adelaide2: 4:09pm On Aug 30, 2018
DuBLINGreenb:
cry
In our hearts we know we are poor but we refuse to confess the truth with our mouths.
*crys* *sobs* *stutters* Toooo taalk truth dey hard us for this countryyyyyyy�

That sound absolutely ''zombie-ic'' to me. How can one be poor and know that putting the right people in power will lift him from poverty, yet refuses to do so?
Re: How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking by Adelaide2: 4:12pm On Aug 30, 2018
LadyExcellency:
Anybody that has land, a dwelling place, not a disabled is not poor let alone extremely poor.

That may be applicable to Nigerians in the villages who have land and a hut to lay their heads and farm their land to provide basic staples to feed with. If you live in cities (Lagos, Aba, PH, Kano city, etc), and you are renting face-me-I-face-you or other types of apartment, you have low income, you do not farm your own land, and you have kids, you are absolutely poor.
Re: How To Know Whether You Are Among The Nigerians Who Are Poor, Globally Speaking by Adelaide2: 4:32pm On Aug 30, 2018
Clearly, one of the major reasons for high poverty rates in Nigeria is family size. Nigeria should start a mandatory population program of no more than 4 family members (2 parents and 2 kids). That would help a lot to reduce poverty.

Igbos (and other Christians in the south), unconsciously or not, have started to reduce their family size, and it is paying off for them. Igbos are among the least affected by poverty in Nigeria, although they are still poor by global standards.

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Ladywho Vowed To Sell All Her Belongings To Buy Buhari Nomination Form / Imo APC Disowns Uzodinma / Sir OAU Onyema Vowed To Unseat Dsp Ike Ekweremmadu 2019 And Legalise Firearms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.