Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Know These Things Before You Travel To Africa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Know These Things Before You Travel To Africa (374 Views)

US-based Lady Reveals Why She Stopped Sending Money To Africa (Video) / With 16500 Security Agents Will Allow You Travel From Lagos To Abuja Despite Ban / Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Know These Things Before You Travel To Africa by Donraqh(m): 10:33am On Aug 31, 2018
Power bank. I take most of my photos with my phone. So, It’s got to be charged at all times. Or extra battery, just in case.
Unless I am staying at a good hotel, don’t trust wifi. Get a local cell-phone, and buy internet through your phone. Internet connection via your cell phone works great. Use “tethering” for your computer if you need to skype and talk to your family and friends.

Only bottled water. Tap water is a NO-GO.
Watch over your stuff. Your electronics ( cell phones, laptops, etc). At a decent hotel, do no leave them in plain sight. At a cheap guest house, take them with you if you can. They can get stolen very fast. You don’t have time to argue or complain with the locals. Just protect your belongings ( money and electronics).

The best exchange rates are offered outside the airport. Whatever your budget is for the trip, exchange a little bit of money at the airport to pay for taxis to the hotel, and a few other things. Wait until you get settled to exchange at the banks or other official Forex Bureaus in the city centers. If you are new to the country, never trust the unofficial money exchangers. They are a NO-GO.

Cash is King in Africa. Apart from hotels and good restaurants, I would not use my card anywhere. Just like in Eastern Europe, I don’t use any ATM. Withdrawing too much money in plain sight might bring too much unnecessary attention, especially in cities.

If it is your first time to Africa, and you are coming from a Western country, something might upset your stomach. Get some medication. Also, if you were from the West, don’t forget your anti-malaria pills. A must have for short-term visitors.

If you are going to a Muslim country, Ramadan is not a good time if you want to party. Northern African countries ( Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia, etc), especially.
Sign up for a Department of State for your travel warning. It helps even if the alert is minor.

From my personal experience, people do not go to “dangerous” countries. They just do not do their homework. The danger in cities is really thieves trying to get your electronics. Lay low and do not be flashy. Otherwise, you will be fine.
Monitor any big current events going on. Presidential election is a big one. Some countries might be a bit shaky after elections. Be aware.

Tickets to Africa can be expensive. If you are visiting, really take sometime to prepare yourself. It makes your trip hustle free and worthwhile.

Local food is great. Why eat a Humburger in Africa? or a Pizza? Try something new. Fresh organic food is good for you anyway.
Beer has a slightly higher %. Slow down and take it easy. This is not Corona or Heineken.

Respect other people’s culture. A few local expessions of gratitude such as “thank you”, “good morning”, “how are you”? are very much appreciated. Since nobody expects you to speak their native language, you would score some good tourist points with these expressions.

Understand how their currency work a bit. Simple things such as what can you buy with a decent meal for lunch. It helps you to not get ripped off at the beginning. Many first timers cannot bargain, be aware.

If you are going to live there for a while ( doing research for months, etc). Take some spare parts for your electronics. Extra Battery for your laptop, definitely.
In Northern African ( Muslim) countries, Beer is just too expensive. I bought a six pack of Heineken for 40 Euros in Morocco. Not worth it. Buy local beers if you can or just drink moderately.

If you can, avoid putting high value things in your checked luggage. Things like laptops, carry-on, tablets, cameras, etc. Put them in your carry-on luggage. You will thank me later on this one. If you have no other choice, make sure that you luggage is “bullet-proof”. Wrap it with some pastic bags or something similar. My luggage has never been vandalized or stolen, but this stuff are common.
Carry small amounts of money everywhere. A parking lot guards will expect to get some tip, somebody volunteering to take carry your bag at the airport terminal, will expect you to pay them. Small amounts of money in local currency are very helpful this way.
All in all, traveling to Africa is worth it.

If you are not African, it might be a hustle first. Some countries will be easier than others. In my experience, talking to many foreigners, West-Africa seems to be the most challenging for 1st timers. Only because they don’t do their homework. North-Africa, and East-Africa have been a breeze to me. Majority go the Southern Africa region is also quite manageable.

Happy Traveling! From: Didier Champion.

1 Like

Re: Know These Things Before You Travel To Africa by Nobody: 10:55am On Aug 31, 2018
What nonsense... Talking negatively about Africa on a Nigerian forum, are you serious?

1 Like

Re: Know These Things Before You Travel To Africa by Jamestown123: 11:07am On Aug 31, 2018
Which country are you from

(1) (Reply)

Man Made Hold Up At Military Post(beat) / Scholarship Question / Burning Aircraft.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.