Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:51 AM

Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. (21471 Views)

Trend For Bakery And Bread Business / Trend For Bakery And Bread Business / Trend For Bakery And Bread Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by ONNYX: 9:41am On Oct 23, 2018
connkg:
Hello everyone!

@ONNYX Well done!

I asked earlier if you had any experience with Nigerian-fabricated breadmaking equipment. Do you?
I've also been trying to dig into integrated utilities on this project. Costs will reduce if Pinch technology can be achieved.
Equipment cost, Utilities (Power, Heating/Cooling) and Land Use are my target, in that order.
Like I understood initially, picking up just one section and diving into it, is a great start. Didn't know ice was an everyday bakery need. Thank you!
I hope I can share some of my findings on equipment as you continue?

Yes I do have some experience with Nigerian - fabricated bread making equipment. I have commissioned its fabrication in several scenarios over a long time but I make haste to say that this is by no means an advantageous position. A lot of things come into play when acquiring equipment and I think we will deal with them subsequently on this thread.
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by Ruby12: 2:50pm On Oct 23, 2018
bakery for rent in delta state call 08128478552.
don't miss this opportunities
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by connkg(m): 3:15pm On Oct 23, 2018
@ONNYX Thank you very much.

@Ruby12 How old is this bakery?
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by Oktane: 5:12pm On Oct 23, 2018
clensman:
I really appreciate this thread because it has really giving me basic knowledge of the industry. What I want this thread to touch is the selling price of the bread to distributors and the final retailers and the cost of production from the bakery. How many bread can we get from 50kg bag with each sizes of breads. Knowing this will help us to do the sales forecast and also help in preparing a good business plan for it especially for the newbies and those who will eventually want go into it whether it is profitable to venture or not.

This is very important. I am strongly of the opinion that the OP should as a matter of urgency consider working on the sales plan and strategy for getting a significant market share.

I inclined to believe that the business of bakery will definitely have a very demanding sales effort.
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by guchilady: 9:42pm On Oct 23, 2018
Op, thanks for the info so far I'm grateful

...I intend setting up a one stop bakery shop in my area and pls I would like to ask 2 questions.

During my equipment survey I came across a multi purpose mixer(it has a whisker and another one for bread dough) and I also saw a mixer just for bread dough, which is better cos I intend to go into other pastries production too.

Secondly pls which preservative is best for bread that. Would make it last long and retain .its taste ??
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by guchilady: 10:02pm On Oct 23, 2018
I am presently working on a contract with the U.N. and can no longer run my bakery. I would like to sell off all my bakery equipment (big bread oven, 20 ltrs mixer, Large stainless working table, and big showcase chiller for just 500,000 Naira. The big showcase transparent chiller only goes for a hundred thousand Naira. This is a bakery I set up with about 7 million Naira in the year 2014. Interested buyers should send me a p.m.
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by ONNYX: 8:21am On Oct 25, 2018
Oktane:

This is very important. I am strongly of the opinion that the OP should as a matter of urgency consider working on the sales plan and strategy for getting a significant market share.

I inclined to believe that the business of bakery will definitely have a very demanding sales effort.

I don't know about a sales plan.

You should show me some consideration man.
Its hard enough updating this thread as it is.

Remember that I have a day job aside from side hustles which includes running a bakery.

Maybe, we will get to the point where a sales plan and a strategy will become inevitable but for now let us just take it bit by bit.

1 Like

Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by ONNYX: 8:47am On Oct 25, 2018
guchilady:
Op, thanks for the info so far I'm grateful

...I intend setting up a one stop bakery shop in my area and pls I would like to ask 2 questions.

During my equipment survey I came across a multi purpose mixer(it has a whisker and another one for bread dough) and I also saw a mixer just for bread dough, which is better cos I intend to go into other pastries production too.

Secondly pls which preservative is best for bread that. Would make it last long and retain .its taste ??

Actually it is whisk and not whiskers. Whiskers are synonymous with the cat family.

You could jolly well describe that device as a multi-purpose mixer but professionally speaking it does have its very obvious limitations.
The real name for that mixer is a 'Planetary Mixer'. It has three different types of appendages which include a spiral, a whisk and the spinning blade. These appendages are carried around the bowl in a circular/elliptical pattern.They continuously advance along the periphery of the bowl, removing material from the vessel wall and transporting it to the interior.

Professionally speaking this mixer is not designed for dough but for batter. The difference in terms of batter and dough is in terms of the function/purpose and of course the water content of the mix. Essentially, batter is for cake and dough is for confectionery and bread.

so drawing from the above it is essential that you understand from the very beginning that your product quality is always a direct reflection of your equipment type/functionality among other variables such as recipe, expertise and processing. Many serious minded bakeries acquire both of them and you should think along those lines.

On the issue of preservatives, a lot exists in the market.

I intend that we spend some time on the raw materials for bread at some point in time before this thread comes to an end.

We will at that point attempt an analysis of all raw materials and other additives exhaustively.

I hope you can wait till then.

1 Like

Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by guchilady: 6:39pm On Oct 25, 2018
ONNYX:

Actually it is whisk and not whiskers. Whiskers are synonymous with the cat family.

You could jolly well describe that device as a multi-purpose mixer but professionally speaking it does have its very obvious limitations.
The real name for that mixer is a 'Planetary Mixer'. It has three different types of appendages which include a spiral, a whisk and the spinning blade. These appendages are carried around the bowl in a circular/elliptical pattern.They continuously advance along the periphery of the bowl, removing material from the vessel wall and transporting it to the interior.

Professionally speaking this mixer is not designed for dough but for batter. The difference in terms of batter and dough is in terms of the function/purpose and of course the water content of the mix. Essentially, batter is for cake and dough is for confectionery and bread.

so drawing from the above it is essential that you understand from the very beginning that your product quality is always a direct reflection of your equipment type/functionality among other variables such as recipe, expertise and processing. Many serious minded bakeries acquire both of them and you should think along those lines.

On the issue of preservatives, a lot exists in the market.

I intend that we spend some time on the raw materials for bread at some point in time before this thread comes to an end.

We will at that point attempt an analysis of all raw materials and other additives exhaustively.

I hope you can wait till then.
thank you very much.
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by dbynonetwork: 4:37pm On Oct 26, 2018
I have a locally fabricated oven for sale.... It can be used for home base snacks business... It can bake more than 50 meatpies and cup cakes at once... It can bake various sizes of wedding cakes...
Location.... Abuja..
You can call or whatsapp me on 08135328835
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by Oktane: 8:28am On Oct 31, 2018
OP, how far now? You've been too quiet.
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by lifenajeje(m): 6:14am On Nov 07, 2018
Let him take his time

Don't forget he has other stuffs he is engaged in.
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by connkg(m): 12:18pm On Nov 07, 2018
Thank you, ONNYX. How did you plan running with the strike? You stocked-up diesel?
For power consideration, I prefer gas tanks (and a gas gen). Cost induces hesitation.

@4tunebest: Would you like to enrich this thread with pictures of what you want to sell? Have you updated with your location?
@dbynonetwork: Pictures?
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by ONNYX: 8:29pm On Nov 08, 2018
lifenajeje:
Let him take his time

Don't forget he has other stuffs he is engaged in.

Thanks for the defence.

I have actually been very busy.

I just finished setting up a bakery for one of the faith based Private Universities and it was quite tasking. This was a most rewarding experience. I learnt so much about the reason behind certain purchase decisions.......very sad. I may share as we progress.

I am now participating in the current Lagos Int. trade-fair. very instructive I must say. I wish I could write about every opportunity I see here.
It suffices to state here that this is a platform where Billions change hands. Everyone who can afford to should visit the trade fair grounds. Its simply a worthwhile experience.

1 Like

Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by ONNYX: 8:40pm On Nov 08, 2018
Oktane:

Sales is so important in the business of bread that it cannot be over-emphasized. No matter how good your bread is, if you do not have a deliberate sales model that is driven effectively and is flexible enough to accommodate demands that may be made on it by local peculiarities your bakery is just one step from failure.

Should your bakery sales plan and implementation model be defective even in the slightest way you would have a created a lacuna which will enable your competitors to leverage upon.
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by lifenajeje(m): 3:51pm On Nov 09, 2018
ONNYX:

Thanks for the defence.

I have actually been very busy.

I just finished setting up a bakery for one of the faith based Private Universities and it was quite tasking. This was a most rewarding experience. I learnt so much about the reason behind certain purchase decisions.......very sad. I may share as we progress.

I am now participating in the current Lagos Int. trade-fair. very instructive I must say. I wish I could write about every opportunity I see here.
It suffices to state here that this is a platform where Billions change hands. Everyone who can afford to should visit the trade fair grounds. Its simply a worthwhile experience.

Do u have a stand at the trade fair was there last weekend and intend going there tomorrow Saturday ..

Pls if u have one let me the hall or pavillion
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by Odiriance4all(m): 2:24am On Nov 12, 2018
I am a professional baker with many years of experience. Have work with companies like spar, shoprite , etc. If anyone needs a baker for your bakery contact me on 07067547873
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by ONNYX: 4:36pm On Nov 28, 2018
lifenajeje:

Do u have a stand at the trade fair was there last weekend and intend going there tomorrow Saturday ..

Pls if u have one let me the hall or pavillion

So sorry Sir for delaying this response. I have really been up to my ears with work.

This is compounded by the fact that I am preparing my detailed handover notes as I quit paid employment finally on Friday 14th December 2018. i will take two weeks off and then will hit the road as a full entrepreneur in January 2019. I intend to take my bakery and the related businesses to heights that i dare not even mention here. if I do i will be considered a charlatan but believe me it is possible.

Meanwhile, I promise to dedicate some time and finish this thread before the end of the year. Please put up your questions and I will respond to them (only as it is convenient for me).

From January, i will still attend to the thread at least once a week just to provide some guidance and respond to inquiries posted here.

And No, I do not have a stand at the Lagos Int. Trade Fair. I was just a very keen visitor who decided to get as much information as possible.
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by ONNYX: 4:55pm On Nov 28, 2018
connkg:
Thank you, ONNYX. How did you plan running with the strike? You stocked-up diesel?
For power consideration, I prefer gas tanks (and a gas gen). Cost induces hesitation.

@4tunebest: Would you like to enrich this thread with pictures of what you want to sell? Have you updated with your location?
@dbynonetwork: Pictures?

Oga, I prefer very simple approach in all my businesses.
A gas tank is the ultimate but the capital outlay required for its acquisition is beyond me and indeed many starters.
I do have a 5,000 liters diesel tank and it must always have a minimum of 2,000 liters available in order to ensure a continuity in production.

I have several 50kg gas cylinders and I ensure that once a week we fill all the cylinders with gas. One of my delivery buses loads the cylinders and heads to a gas plant where we can get the best possible value and we fill them all up to the brim.

For the avoidance of doubt, you must be very circumspect about purchasing your fuel (Gas, Diesel and Petrol). All you need to do is ensure you conduct frequent market intelligence exercises to ensure that you are on top of the game at all times. An illustration will suffice here;
Many gas vendors who sell from shops will sell higher prices than what gas plants like Allied Gas and Gas land will offer and will on top of that undersell by trying every trick in the book to evade filling the cylinder to full value.

These days I prefer sending my driver to a gas plant where he buys the gas directly and it is weighed with a scale and double checked with our own scale which he takes along with him. The minimum I save from this effort is at least N1,250.00 per 50kg cylinder and I use about 30 of those fill-ups a month. Do the math.

I am even further improving the process by now buying from an even cheaper source and a more transparent process. Some Mobil Fuel stations now have Gas plants within their premises and they have upgraded the dispensing process by using a metered/calibrated pump and their price for some reason is still cheaper than what is obtainable in Gas Plants. I also to some extent trust the quality of their gas. But that note that the distrust in me still fuels my sending the driver there with my own digital scales as one can never tell with Nigerians.

Ultimately, we will acquire a large industrial gas tank that will enable us buy at a cheaper price from source and less frequently too.

1 Like

Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by ONNYX: 4:58pm On Nov 28, 2018
Odiriance4all:
I am a professional baker with many years of experience. Have work with companies like spar, shoprite , etc. If anyone needs a baker for your bakery contact me on 07067547873

May I ask why you are seeking something better than Spar and Shoprite.

It doesn't just click.

Why would you want to work for smaller names than the brands you have mentioned above?

I am just curious.

These are the better paying outlets in the industry.

And their workload is much lesser than most other bakeries.

2 Likes

Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by connkg(m): 12:37pm On Nov 29, 2018
Welcome back, ONNYX.
Thank you!
On skid-mounted industrial gas tanks, getting a delivery truck that will either fill-up or switch tank requires trailer space.
I am working with technically-minded friends, so generating problems and throwing them up is easy... grin

These are the kind of project assignments that Engineering students should cut their teeth on! angry
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by lifenajeje(m): 3:53am On Nov 30, 2018
ONNYX:

So sorry Sir for delaying this response. I have really been up to my ears with work.

This is compounded by the fact that I am preparing my detailed handover notes as I quit paid employment finally on Friday 14th December 2018. i will take two weeks off and then will hit the road as a full entrepreneur in January 2019. I intend to take my bakery and the related businesses to heights that i dare not even mention here. if I do i will be considered a charlatan but believe me it is possible.

Meanwhile, I promise to dedicate some time and finish this thread before the end of the year. Please put up your questions and I will respond to them (only as it is convenient for me).

From January, i will still attend to the thread at least once a week just to provide some guidance and respond to inquiries posted here.

And No, I do not have a stand at the Lagos Int. Trade Fair. I was just a very keen visitor who decided to get as much information as possible.

God bless u always
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by lifenajeje(m): 5:20pm On Dec 10, 2018
In as much as we would love to sell bread as potential bread bakers daily ..

What is the shelf life of any good bread incase one begins bread distribution.
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by thephenome: 12:58pm On Dec 12, 2018
Tokunbo Gas Oven for Bread or cake baking available for purchase. Oven has not been used in Nigeria. 3 tier. 3 Levels. See pictures attached

N750,000

Please contact 08096562715 if interested

Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by ONNYX: 1:32pm On Dec 13, 2018
Hello all, just to let you know that ththread is not endangered and I will be available to complete it before the end of the year as promised. My activities are easing off and I will shut down on 21/12/18 fpr two whole weeks.
During that recess I will make all the effort to fill you in with the remaining part of the discourse.
I will very importantly deal with the bread marketing/sales which is so important that you simply cannot wish away.

So we have a date.

During that period also I will start a totally new thread on Bread sales as a business.
I will show you how bread sellers a.k.a Bread distributors smile to the banks.
I might even consider guiding a few interested people into starting and operating a thriving bread distribution business.

Stay ........connected.

1 Like

Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by lifenajeje(m): 4:21am On Dec 14, 2018
We are waiting ..take ur time
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by lifenajeje(m): 1:28pm On Jan 20, 2019
Cc : onnyx trust u are okay
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by lifenajeje(m): 2:04pm On Jan 20, 2019
Cc : onnyx

Trust u are okay
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by lifenajeje(m): 4:58am On Feb 06, 2019
Hello we are still waiting
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by Olamsoh: 8:56am On Feb 11, 2019
smiley
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by Realbelieveer(m): 6:18pm On Feb 18, 2019
Good evening..
Re: Bread Business In Nigeria; Demystifying The Bakery Industry Myth. by moshoodn(m): 1:24pm On Feb 19, 2019
Attn: Onnyx

Trust you're good. Kindly come back and fill the thread with wisdom and experiential knowledge.

Thanks.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Read And Write Fluent English (ADULT EDUCATION): 08139458588 / If A Wife Owns A Restaurant, Should The Husband Pay After Eating? / Amazing Uses Of Coca-cola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.